PDA

View Full Version : CSX vs. Civic Si

SIVIC
04-11-2007, 10:34 PM
Well after over a year of Si ownership, I finally got around to driving the CSX Type S - one with gorgeous taffeta white paint (though less lustrous than the TSX's metallic white).

Driving this thing instantly reminded me of what my stock Si had driven like - which is stunningly different than how mine drives today. I pushed in the slightly softer clutch pedal, and started the CSX. Looks basically the same inside except for the optioned navigation system, and heated leather seats. I found I was sitting noticeably higher up, and that the seats had less lateral support. The CSX does have a more usable back seat, but the trunk appeared to be the same size as the Si. I turned on the lights to find an effective high intensity discharge. The stock fog lights also seem to work. Back to the drive... I gave 'er a little tap on the same floor mounted, aluminum gas pedal, to find the revs shoot up, only to hold for a second before falling in again. Yes, this car would suffer the same annoying drive by wire throttle programming that holds revs when you take your foot off the gas for a second to improve emissions. Fortunately, shifting this 6-speed seemed to be smoother.

On my Si, I had put on an Injen short ram intake and a DC sports exhaust. I could not notice any difference in sound levels at low to mid RPMs. But this leads on to the most significant factor between my Si and the CSX - the VTEC experience. On the rare occasions where it can be done safely and legally, revving up to the 8000+ redline in my car is an absolute hoot! The performance intake system hugely amplifies the 5800 RPM cam change over - and it's great. Now step back into the stock CSX; the cam change-over experience is dulled and you REALLY have to listen to hear it. Both cars are probably equally quick, but my Si just feels so much quicker up at those RPMs.

Now onto handling. Having poured a few thousand dollars into my suspension set up, my car just feels like it handles better - but it's only at the track where I think the differences would show. The CSX's suspension, like the stock Si, is competent but not smooth. I was actually considering removing my performance coil-overs and returning to the stock ones to improve ride, but the small bumps come through the same. Big bumps are a different story as CSX can simply speed through. One thing I did notice while holding onto the same great small, leather wrapped, multi-function steering wheel, is that the CSX's feels lighter and thus slightly less direct.

Braking felt the same, as it should. The one piece of jealousy I have over the CSX is its VSA (stability control). Previously, I had thought that I really did not need this piece of technology driving a FWD car; when under steering, just pull off the throttle. But while exploring my car's handling limits at a dry track, I swapped ends. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZllnGPjWzBU This is poor driving, but fortunately it reinforced the importance of driving smoothly (or better!). VSA should never have to intervene with truly good drivers; nevertheless, VSA will help many stay out of trouble on real roads - more so during low traction winter driving conditions (rare here in Victoria).

Now many will say the CSX's inflated MSRP reduces its glimmer, and I'd agree; but I simply wanted to share a comparison to its fraternal twin. The end result? Smiles all around.

http://members.shaw.ca/picture_gallery/CSX1.jpg
http://members.shaw.ca/picture_gallery/CSX2.jpg
http://members.shaw.ca/picture_gallery/CSX3.jpg
http://members.shaw.ca/picture_gallery/CSX4.jpg

Skyline_Addict
04-11-2007, 10:45 PM
both nice cars. good write up!

Russo
04-11-2007, 11:06 PM
nice write up, i get to drive a CSX type S alot, and i love the car, now i want to try a SI =)))

mo_money2supe
04-11-2007, 11:10 PM
Maybe it's the angle the pictures were taken, but to me, the Civic's design appears to look more "bulky," if you will, or in another way, "taller," even though your Si is actually lowered as opposed to the stock CSX-S. I've always liked coupes myself, but I'd have to say I definitely prefer the 4-door Civic's/CSX's better 'cause it doesn't look as "chunky" as the coupe.

All-in-all, as mentioned above, both nice cars, and wow, what a write-up. Planning to be a future car journalist perhaps?

Aleks
04-12-2007, 06:53 AM
I drove both and prefered the Civic slightly. I cannot see how anyone would pay 35+K for the CSX. When you get inside it's basically the same as the civic with leather, nav and auto climate.

SIVIC
04-13-2007, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by mo_money2supe
Planning to be a future car journalist perhaps?

I'd love to put in some time with any of the Canadian automotive journalist groups, but nobody is taking.

bspot
04-13-2007, 03:07 PM
The interior in that is just plain hideous.

Thats right.

A Chevy driver calling a Honda interior hideous.

Oh no I di'int.

sputnik
04-13-2007, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by bspot

Thats right.

Oh no I di'int.

I have been saying that since the day they were released.

The body lines on the sedan are terrible and they stole the ugliest taillights from Audi for the sedan too.

Speed_69
04-13-2007, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

I have been saying that since the day they were released.

The body lines on the sedan are terrible and they stole the ugliest taillights from Audi for the sedan too.

I actually like the sedan tailights :dunno:

Hakkola
04-13-2007, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by mo_money2supe
Maybe it's the angle the pictures were taken, but to me, the Civic's design appears to look more "bulky"

It doesn't just look bulky, the damn thing is as big as my benz. Next generation they will probably be s class size. :thumbsdow

:werd: To the hideous interior, + terrible blindspots.

Mangina
04-13-2007, 03:54 PM
VTEC SON!!!

403Gemini
04-13-2007, 03:54 PM
your civic is pretty sharp looking man :thumbsup:

good reviews!

01RedDX
04-13-2007, 04:44 PM

403Gemini
04-13-2007, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by bspot

Thats right.

Oh no I di'int.

lol our interiors look half decent tho ;) some parts are a lil cheap, but its decent looking :) (for a chev anyways...)

im just not a fan of the gauge cluster on the new civics

bspot
04-13-2007, 04:53 PM
Don't get me wrong, give both cars 10 years and I'm guessing the civics will look better lol.

silver_gs-R
04-13-2007, 05:35 PM
amazing write-up man.

i dont have anything in particular against the CSX-S, but damn I just love for the SI coupe looks lol.

lbjgh
04-17-2007, 09:46 PM
When I was visiting Cleveland I had a chance to check out a Civic SI sedan. I liked the clean design of the SI better than the CSX Type-S.

My wife drives a CSX Premium and is very happy with it but if think the Civic SI sedan would suit me just fine.

Nice write up BTW.

You should post your write-up over at www.csxworld.com too.