PDA

View Full Version : performance tires

monkeyja
06-05-2003, 08:43 PM
Any suggestion about good performance tires use on street and track?

Since R-compound tires not DOT-approved and not for street, is it legal to use in here? or insurance not pay for when car accident?

GTS Jeff
06-05-2003, 09:03 PM
falken azenis grip like mad, but are quite loud and they wear quickly. they are also deathly in the rain.

kumho 712s are "adequate" for grip...some ppl say its good, some ppl say its shit...but either way, they last a long time and they are good in the rain.

theres also a few potenzas worth considering and some dunlops.

the main thing u need to figure out to narrow down the choices is: budget.

hjr
06-05-2003, 09:16 PM
Im pretty sure that you can get R-rated dot approved tires. Just to name a few:
-Toyo RA-1
-Kumho V700 & V70A
-Yokohama AO32R

hjr
06-05-2003, 09:17 PM
and why would you get in an accident with the extra grip these tires give you? j/k

Ben
06-05-2003, 09:17 PM
I have Kumhos and like Jeff said, they are "adequate" but not exceptional.

They rock in the rain though, you maintain great control in hydroplane situations such as an inch of wather on deerfoot and water gather in big grooves from semi trucks. So that alone makes them good in my books. Saved me a few times.

VERY noisy though as far as screech when cornering.

GTS Jeff
06-05-2003, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Ben
I have Kumhos and like Jeff said, they are "adequate" but not exceptional.

They rock in the rain though, you maintain great control in hydroplane situations such as an inch of wather on deerfoot and water gather in big grooves from semi trucks. So that alone makes them good in my books. Saved me a few times.

VERY noisy though as far as screech when cornering. haha the "screech" noise is good man. good tires are supposed to screech a ton before they actually lose all their grip...so that the driver knows the tires limits.

i was referring to road noise in my last post, like a constant droning when ure driving normally....which is mostly caused by a stiff sidewall.

pox
06-05-2003, 09:29 PM
Kumho MX are the best bang for your buck besides azenis.

bart
06-05-2003, 09:31 PM
michelin pilot cup are r compound, street legal i believe. according to tire rack reviews, its the best gripping tire. i'm thinking about getting them, too bad they're $500 a piece.

monkeyja
06-05-2003, 09:37 PM
I knew that the Falken Azenis is good, but it doesnt make the sizes I need. The A032R is good too but I wanna try new tires.

Now I am thinking about the Dunlop D01J and Yokohama A048, but they are not on street and really slippery even little wet road..... Any one know more about those 2 tires?

carl59
09-18-2007, 03:05 PM
General Exclhim UHP These are the best tires I have every owned at a great price for a tire this good.They handle like mad in rain or dry and very quite.I payed 415.00 installed P235/45/17 and have 30000 miles on them and will get 3or 4 more thousand out of them.I cant say enough about this tire I was shocked they were this good for$ made in Germany You cant beat this tire even if you pay twice as much trust me because I have Carl59

QuasarCav
09-18-2007, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by carl59
General Exclhim UHP These are the best tires I have every owned at a great price for a tire this good.They handle like mad in rain or dry and very quite.I payed 415.00 installed P235/45/17 and have 30000 miles on them and will get 3or 4 more thousand out of them.I cant say enough about this tire I was shocked they were this good for$ made in Germany You cant beat this tire even if you pay twice as much trust me because I have Carl59

Check the date Carl.

jdm_eg6
09-18-2007, 03:15 PM
Kumho Ecsta 712, are ok Kinda Drifty but i cant really compare to any others. They are excellent in the rain considering the tread pattern is a Rain Style tread pattern.
but

...screech a ton before they actually lose all their grip

The statement is desputable, screeching is a sign of loss of traction a good tire a VERY good tire has a threshold where traction is lost and the forces playing against your car take over. Usually a good tire reaches that threshold and looses most traction because at that point the tire has lost what it was specifically designed for. whereas a all season tire has a very flexable and large threshold of transfer making them more stable, yet that threshold is much lower than a soft compound race tire.

Jason Lange
09-18-2007, 03:31 PM
This thread is 4 years old...:dunno:

Dritto
09-19-2007, 10:19 AM
So this is definitely an ooold thread, but I own a set of General Exclaim UHPs and I give them thumps up for great price and decent performance.