PDA

View Full Version : Possibly spyware problem (internet issues)

LilDrunkenSmurf
04-12-2007, 12:19 AM
So I recently wiped my desktop, with a Legal copy of XP (As a student of sait) was also running XP SP2 before wipe

So after noticing it's got a slower internet speed for some reason, it finally choked off the other day. It will connect, get an ip, etc... But when I try to actually use the internet, it's slow if not non-existent... downloads are still full speed, but actual surfing, msn, etc are all impossible to use. If I do a system restore, it will work for 20 mins-2 hours before it does this again. I've also tried swapping the network card when it said limited/no connectivity...

I've ran anti-spyware since day 1, i've done scans, reset the registry, even googled random tools trying to fix this... I've altered the settings, tried bypassing my router, EVERYTHING. I'm on my laptop right now using the exactly same internet connection. I have no idea whats wrong, and I know a little bit about networking and have troubleshot everything I can think of... I'd rather not wipe again, as I have documents that I don't really want to back up again.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to solve this? It's driving me insane!

alloroc
04-12-2007, 01:57 AM
It could be windows update.

For some reason update chokes the hell out of my work laptop.

start it up and wait 'till it starts acting up and hit cntrl alt del.
check the running processes and how much processor time they are hogging, if the culprit is svchost there is a 99.99 % chance it is update running.

you just have to give it time to do its thing I know no way of speeding it up.