PDA

View Full Version : Braces...

s2k_boi
04-12-2007, 10:27 PM
Kinda curious, I am thinking about getting them.....
a) How old were you if you had braces
b) How old are you if you have braces
c) what do you think is too old for braces

and finally opinion, if they're a pain in the ass or not... thanks for the feed back.

Also, I am not sure if this would be the right section or not to be posting it in

Kobe
04-12-2007, 10:30 PM
Theres new things invisablim or something like that, u stick them on when u want, but its a bit more $$$

s2k_boi
04-12-2007, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Kobe
Theres new things invisablim or something like that, u stick them on when u want, but its a bit more $$$

Yeah. I know about those, I am apparently not a candidate for them (at least the dentist that I spoke to).... that really kinda sucks.

blainer
04-12-2007, 10:33 PM
hey s2k
ud have to ask your dentist or find one that does do it, but invisalign is pretty slick. When i got mine, they initially hurt like hell but u quickly dont notice them.
my dentist is right by the university so if u live around there
let me know and ill give u his address and what-not
-Blaine

adam c
04-12-2007, 10:34 PM
haha metal mouth

Kobe
04-12-2007, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by blainer
hey s2k
ud have to ask your dentist or find one that does do it, but invisalign is pretty slick. When i got mine, they initially hurt like hell but u quickly dont notice them.
-Blaine
Curious what did u pay for them??

blainer
04-12-2007, 10:51 PM
Kobe,
as embarassin as it is my parents dealt with all of it, so i could ask them and get back to ya by 2morrow and get the exact cost. if i was to guess itd be around 5-6k
-blaine

shtock99
04-12-2007, 10:58 PM
5-6K jesus.... i have invisalign right now and it def wasnt even close to 5k, but i like the invisalign, no one even notcies i have it in, and you only wear them for like a year

blainer
04-12-2007, 11:05 PM
yaa like i said i had no clue as to what they cost
my parents were just like "those clear braces of yours were expensive as hell, so dont mess it up in any way"

s2k_boi
04-12-2007, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by blainer
hey s2k
-Blaine

Yeah, thats close for me. Can you PM me the info or post it. Thx

s2k_boi
04-12-2007, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by shtock99
5-6K jesus.... i have invisalign right now and it def wasnt even close to 5k, but i like the invisalign, no one even notcies i have it in, and you only wear them for like a year

how much was yours if you don't mind sharing?

Khyron
04-13-2007, 12:46 AM
I just got the basic metal to fix my uppers (still in). The ones behind the teeth are twice the price and take longer. These are coming off in less than 6 months, where the invis were quoted at 1.5 years. And those clearish ones that go in the front? Useless. Everyone can see them, except instead of "oh hey those are braces" you get "wtf is wrong with those teeth...food...rotting...ah, ok, braces".

tsuga
04-13-2007, 01:01 AM
:(
i want my braces
but htey were quoted to be 6 to 7k
:cry:

im to poor for that :(

SilverGS
04-13-2007, 09:57 AM
Invisaligns are very slick if you are worried about how you look with metal braces.

It all depends on how bad your teeth are. My friend had to do 6 months of metals before he even started on the invisaligns. Price also varies depending on how bad your teeth are and if you have an overbite or not. I would say at least 4k for either solution and most likelt 5k+ for invisaligns

Age? Since your teeth are constantly shifting I don't think any age is too old. I have plenty of friends past 30 that have braces on right now. Just depends on if you need them or not.

Pain in the ass? Hell yeah. Food gets stuck in them you need to constantly wash things out and brush your teeth. Your jaw is sore for a few days when they tighten them. If you have metal braces there is a chance they may cut your lip a little bit.

However in the end you'll look much better. No pain no gain

Hope this helps

Kritafo
04-13-2007, 10:27 AM
I just had a quote for our daughter she will be just over 5K, but I do want to see if she can get invisiline.

I never want to hear anyone complain, when I had braces I had the head gear, full head gear, around the head and neck...very attractive in grade 8...yeah I was a total dream girl :rofl:

abyss
04-13-2007, 01:26 PM
lol I had the full metal mouth for a year when I was 12, no headgear though THANK GOD. But my teeth are still a bit messed cause I didn't wear the retainers they gave me. crap. Eventually I'll go get them fixed properly. I don't think you're ever too old for braces, it'll make you look younger! Bonus...haha

snowboard
04-13-2007, 01:46 PM
fuck it man. get them so worth it.
youll be a tin grin, train tracks metal mouth, WITH STRAIGHT TEETH so who gives a fuck.
i had braces for my graduation haha.. big fuckin deal, im sure people thought it was funny, but they wouldnt say shit.
its nice having straight teeth dude, so worth the pain and ripped up cheeks, so worth it.
i was mad when i first go them but then i got used to them, people dont notice much, some girls think there cute even haha.. or maybe thats just me thats cute :dunno: haha...

never too old for braces. i was 16-17.

modded46
04-13-2007, 03:16 PM
Ugh braces are not a fun subject for me..

Nov of this year will be 6 years total.. I had everything from wires to spaces to oral surgery.. I have two impacted eye teeth in my palette. SO i had to first make room for them and second go in for oral surgery to have them exposed.. One has come down the other has not..

I was promised by my ortho (Dr. Yue in the NE) that they WILL be off by the end of the year no matter what.. So I have a very important appointment in July to take xrays and see where we stand on that side.. it's my eye teeth that never came down..

Anyway, 5600 later insurance paid for 1000.00 of it, I better be getting laid after this.. haha :nut:

I can't say what it's going to be like when they finally come off, but I can tell you this.. it's going to be a RARE occasion that my mouth is actually closed (some would say how is that different from now, but seriously, teeth will be blinging!)

Bottom line.. DO IT! oh yah and I'm 34 now and really couldn't care less.. better late than never.

s2k_boi
04-13-2007, 03:20 PM
^^ Lol... that sounds so brutal, so mind if I ask how old are you right now? Glad I decided not to go with him, I did a consultation with him back in the day as a kid, but he wanted to extract 4 tooth, and that was not necessary.

krisopotamus
04-13-2007, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by s2k_boi
Kinda curious, I am thinking about getting them.....
a) How old were you if you had braces
b) How old are you if you have braces
c) what do you think is too old for braces

and finally opinion, if they're a pain in the ass or not... thanks for the feed back.

Also, I am not sure if this would be the right section or not to be posting it in

I got them in grade 10, got them off just after starting grade 12.

It is never too old to have braces. The earlier you get them the better, but not getting them is worse than having bad teeth for your whole life.

The time with them went by fast. Granted I was in HS and thats when most people get them, but it really didn't bother me to have them.

The benefits outweigh the bad. Get them.

And mine were like 2.5k including all checkups for as long as I go and retainers and such...............go get them in Regina haha...alot cheaper!

EDIT: Oh and I never really got bugged except from my brother (who also had them but started a year later than when I got mine), and when I got them off people (girls) noticed.

VWEvo
04-13-2007, 04:28 PM
I'm a general dentist who's devoted approximately half of my practice to orthodontics.

Currently 60% of my clientele are adults undergoing orthodontic therapy.

New systems are out that cater to adults in terms of speed and look. I'm even treating a few beyonders right now (i won't mention names, I'll let them chime in for themselves)

Invisalign is absolutely fantastic, however it does have its limitations. Its best to check with a dentist/orthodontist who does both conventional orthodontics and invisalign to determine what is best for you.

I would be reluctant to take the advice of a practitioner that only does one or the other. I know this because before I did invisalign I used to tell my patients that it wasn't very good. Then I learned the system, treated multiple patients (including my wife) and was thoroughly impressed by it.

Also, if using conventional orthodontics (which alot of my adult patients do), be sure to know what system is being used to treat you. NOT ALL SYSTEMS ARE CREATED EQUALLY!!!

Currently in Calgary, the most common orthodontic brackets used are the ones which either use metal ligature ties or colored elastics. Most people will know what I'm talking about as you see people walking around with various colored braces. These braces are more of an "old school" bracket and do not move teeth nearly as well as new braces would.

Often with these type of braces, treatment times can vary from 6ths all the way to 4 years. Many clinicians recommend teeth to be extracted to "create" room.

If your clinician is recommending that you pull healthy adult teeth for the sake of orthodontics GET A SECOND OPINION!!!

With the new systems available, with the exception of very few rare cases, there is absolutely no reason to pull adult premolars. Pulling teeth will lead to negative facial changes and guaranteed future TMD. Any clinician telling you this isn't true doesn't have knowledge of TMJ disorders.

There is alot to understand when seeking orthodontic therapy, be sure to do your research and don't be scared to ask clinicians questions.

I hope that was helpful.

Mazstyle
04-13-2007, 05:37 PM
VWEvo is the MAN, he's making my molds tommorow. Total cost will be mid 5's, which is pretty much the average.

Khyron
04-14-2007, 12:05 AM
Just to further my post, I had em for 3 years in junior high/high school, to widen the arch etc. Mostly fixed but a few fronts collapsed over time (WEAR YOUR RETAINER OR U WILL GO THROUGH IT AGAIN)

I just had my top done to fix the collapsed teeth, it's the newer metal train tracks that clamp, there's no rubber. So much faster and I have had no pain at all, even after a heavier wire put in. Oddly enough the wimpier wires can move teeth faster which goes against manly "more power = better" philosophy.

Get several quotes - most consultations are free. One dentist wanted to do everything, including surgery to widen my arch another few mm - for 9K. Current ortho understood I wasn't after perfection and as long as my bite wasn't interferred with was able to do the cosmetic work.

And after paying for it yourself, you have a lot more motivation to wear that retainer while you sleep.

VWEvo
04-14-2007, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Khyron

I just had my top done to fix the collapsed teeth, it's the newer metal train tracks that clamp, there's no rubber. So much faster and I have had no pain at all, even after a heavier wire put in. Oddly enough the wimpier wires can move teeth faster which goes against manly "more power = better" philosophy.

That is the whole premise of modern orthodontics. Sadly, 80% of dentists/orthodontists still use the old systems.

msouther
04-14-2007, 11:54 AM
$5,500 and that is a very recent price from Apple Wellness in Airdrie. You can pay for it in installments if you wish which will make it more affordable. I think the way they set it up for us is $1,800 down and then monthly payments of $185 until it is paid off. For benefits, that is the way they wanted it. Good luck and if there is a problem with your teeth, fix them now because as time goes by you will be less and less inclined to do anything about it.

VWEvo
04-14-2007, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by msouther
$5,500 and that is a very recent price from Apple Wellness in Airdrie. You can pay for it in installments if you wish which will make it more affordable. I think the way they set it up for us is $1,800 down and then monthly payments of $185 until it is paid off. For benefits, that is the way they wanted it. Good luck and if there is a problem with your teeth, fix them now because as time goes by you will be less and less inclined to do anything about it.

Apple Wellness,

My best friend is a dentist there, Dr. Amardeep gill. Great clinic, great staff :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

dino_martini
04-14-2007, 12:04 PM
My neighbor is an orthodontist so he did my braces and cut my parents a bit of a deal. They kind of suck, when you get them tightened or a new wire put on prepare to not eat solid food for a good 4 days. Its worth it though, after the first month with them on I noticed a huge differance, I'll probably have them on for another year. :( but after they are off I'll be like this: :D

hampstor
04-14-2007, 12:07 PM
haha my family and I go to doctor Gill! My parents even live in Red Deer and they STILL come all the way to Airdrie for the appts.

crap! - Abyss

toyboy88
04-14-2007, 03:41 PM
I got Invislign braces back in 2004, had to wear them for 2006 (2 1/2 years total). They were ~1-1.5K more than if I choose to go the traditional metal way. I think it was close around 6.5K total (which included the little metal retainer afterwards that i currenly have on the back of front teeth).

Got them on when I was 14, off at 16.

Invisilign

Pros:
- Go on clear, don't see them like traditional braces
- Can remove to eat
- Removable for brushing, less chance of cavities etc from bad brushing of wire areas

Cons:
- If you take em off, eat, then put back on without brushing they can stink your breath pretty bad
- Costs more obvioiusly
- Sometime you don't have place to give em a quick rinse/brush before you put them on after a meal, gives you bad breath and can cause cavaties too because you "trap" the food etc by your teeth
- Recommended minimum 22 hours on a day for optimal use

So i had to wear those guys for 2 1/2 years, now my orthodontist just has me wearing the little metal wire on the back of my front teeth (top/bottom) to keep them straight in position for another ~2-4 years after the invisalign depending....

Anything else just ask!

Police
04-14-2007, 04:19 PM
Did anyone get their invisilign at Shaganappi Dental Group or heard about them?

They have at website www.sixmonthstoasmile.com and is located in calgary of course, i was thinking about going to them because only one upper teeth of mine needs a bit of alignment and i don't want metal mouth.

ashee
04-14-2007, 06:39 PM
a) Grade 5-7
c) I don't think there's really ever an age that's too old, if you want to fix your teeth fix them

crazydriver
04-15-2007, 11:50 PM
i have the invisalign right now, been on them for approx 9 months and i'll be done next month.

another con i'd like to add for invisalign is that they don't aligning power compared to the old metal train tracks in some cases.

like stated before, there were times where it initially hurted like hell, but after a few days you won't notice the pain.

soon, you'll be all :D too

snowboard
04-15-2007, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by dino_martini
My neighbor is an orthodontist so he did my braces and cut my parents a bit of a deal. They kind of suck, when you get them tightened or a new wire put on prepare to not eat solid food for a good 4 days. Its worth it though, after the first month with them on I noticed a huge differance, I'll probably have them on for another year. :( but after they are off I'll be like this: :D

haha you pussy. i used to eat wendies the day i got new wiressssss. just gotta suck on the food.

anonymous_j
04-16-2007, 12:21 AM
i was in gr.8 when i got my braces on and got them off at the end of gr.10.

i went to dr.antosz at market mall. he did a really good job since my teeth were pretty shitty in the beginning. i paid around 5500 (?) not including the surgery that another guy did.

i also heard that if you get braces on when you're older (maybe 21>) they hurt a lot less.

l/l/rX
04-16-2007, 12:31 AM
IMO i think braces is better than never, espicially if your teeth are really out of whack. bad teeth is such a turnoff. there's this really really cute chick in my class, great personality, would get with her in a second, but once she smiles uuuuuugh complete turnoff.

(sorry yes im shallow, to each his own though)

saiyajin
04-16-2007, 12:34 AM
got mine on about 2years ago when i was 21 and il be getting them off in July!! :clap: so ya age shouldnt matter really

went to Dr Kemp now moved to deerfoot meadows (bastard moved a month after i went to him, he was close to me when he was in the NE) i have the metal "speed" braces :dunno:

time does fly though and seriously when you first get them on.. yes you cant eat but after i think the first 2-3months you get so used to it

when i get mine tightened my teeth are sore for a day then i just go back to regular eating habits no biggie

s2k_boi
04-16-2007, 08:24 AM
^^ Lol... I want VWEVO to comment on that. I was told I can eat pretty much the next day or a few days after. not 3 - 4months

soupey
04-16-2007, 08:52 AM
i just remember the slippery feeling u get right after u get them taken off, everything just feels so smooth around ur teeth, no metal crap grinding away at ur cheeks anymore:D haha

illeagle
04-16-2007, 09:07 AM
I went to Dr. Antosz too, and when I got them off, there was a big party for everyone who got them off , with food and goodie bags!

VWEvo
04-16-2007, 09:17 AM
^^ Lol... I want VWEVO to comment on that. I was told I can eat pretty much the next day or a few days after. not 3 - 4months

Hmmm, I'm not sure about not eating for 3-4 months, I've personally never experienced it (had braces 3 times), and I've never had any of my patients complain of that. Usually patients tell me that they are sore for about 24-48 hours and often time with the new style of braces, they really arent' that sore ever.

modded46
04-16-2007, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by snowboard

haha you pussy. i used to eat wendies the day i got new wiressssss. just gotta suck on the food.

it's not the day you get them it's the day after.. OMG there is no pain worse.. more so if they do both the top and bottom.. ugly..

I don't know the exact technical term for the wire that I have in there right now.. but I know it's fricken massive.. I think I could use it to strengthen the chassis on my car..

But yes it's all worth it!!

modded46
04-16-2007, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by soupey
i just remember the slippery feeling u get right after u get them taken off, everything just feels so smooth around ur teeth, no metal crap grinding away at ur cheeks anymore:D haha

I can only imagine what that feels like.. I honestly can't remember what it's like to not have ANYTHING in my mouth that is metal related..

End of the year I will know for sure. :)

Khyron
04-16-2007, 03:22 PM
This is exactly what the other guy was posting about before. Old school was to make it hurt - the bigger the better. But the new technique is to use really soft touch to move them. The result is actually faster moving.

I have it on the uppers and there were many mm of movement, and I never needed any tylenol, nor had to alter my eating habits at all. Even steak!, no pain.

max_boost
04-16-2007, 04:32 PM
Oh man....braces eh. I had them from age 16-22. 6 years of the old metal stuff. I didn't wear my retainer very much and the teeth is starting to move again. OH well, I'm OK with that because it will never look as bad as my pre-braces days.

Good to know there are so many options out there.

saiyajin
04-16-2007, 05:43 PM

well fine maybe like 1month hah
i still ate it was just my teeth were damn sore the very first time you get them on.. but then after when they are tightened the soreness lasts only a day

CCM Pro
04-16-2007, 06:03 PM
Hey VW Evo what are your thoughts on the braces that go behind your teeth and/or the clear ones...my dentist (Nosecreek Dental in Airdrie) says they are not nearly as good and break easy?

Thanks

Dayclone
04-16-2007, 07:20 PM
I was 16 had braces for 2 years and got it off now, now I just wear a clear retainer. To retain the nice straight look of my teeth their great and all, just get the clear ones on the top and w.e. color bands u like.

What's old are those old school contraptions lol

VWEvo
04-16-2007, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by CCM Pro
Hey VW Evo what are your thoughts on the braces that go behind your teeth and/or the clear ones...my dentist (Nosecreek Dental in Airdrie) says they are not nearly as good and break easy?

Thanks

Personally, clear braces and braces behind the teeth are a waste of time. The quality of movement is no where as good as new systems. Clear braces are slow, and have limited movement because of friction. Plus, to me, they just stain after a while. In my practice I only use New bracketing technology, and Invisialign. I just cannot see a point to doing clear or lingual braces (just my opinion).

While not all cases are candidates for invisalign, we are starting cases with Damon brackets and switching to Invisalign after 6 months to finish the case. The means that if you are a tough case, we can switch over to Invisalign. There are exceptions to this, but most can be candidates for this type of treatment also.

Bottom line, if your gonna seek treatment, do it properly, don't cut corners.

s2k_boi
04-18-2007, 08:17 AM
Thanks for all the info guys! :thumbsup:

demon1972duster
05-03-2007, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by VWEvo

Apple Wellness,

My best friend is a dentist there, Dr. Amardeep gill. Great clinic, great staff :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

YEA Dr Gill is great..... but too bad he isnt the one doing the braces...we were quoted 8000.00 from apple wellness(DR B) and then we took our daughter to dr kritken by market mall and it is onlyaround 6500.00 1800 down and then 150 a month for 2 yrs .seems to be a very reasonable place .You also have to ask and make sure that all your check ups and visits are included in this costs because I have heard were it has not been included ...this could get pretty pricey

:thumbsup:

VWEvo
05-04-2007, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by demon1972duster

YEA Dr Gill is great..... but too bad he isnt the one doing the braces...we were quoted 8000.00 from apple wellness(DR B) and then we took our daughter to dr kritken by market mall and it is onlyaround 6500.00 1800 down and then 150 a month for 2 yrs .seems to be a very reasonable place .You also have to ask and make sure that all your check ups and visits are included in this costs because I have heard were it has not been included ...this could get pretty pricey

:thumbsup:

8000.00 :eek: :eek: :eek:

WOW!!!!

Maybe I need to be working at Apple Wellness ;)

demon1972duster
05-04-2007, 11:59 PM

WOW!!!!

yea no shit I got into the wrong profession myself

blinkme_210
05-05-2007, 01:46 AM
I can attest with Khyron about the newer style of braces which clamp on, no pain at all! Only a little discomfort like after any regular tightening session, but not to the point where I couldn't eat burgers for 2/3 days. Hell, I was eating steak that very same night.

Also, who here never wore their elastics like they were told to? I don't know about you guys, but I'm not quite sure that elastics did shit all. I never wore my elastics except for the first week or so. I lied to my ortho everytime I went in for tightening, told him that I was wearing the elastics 24/7. He never once questioned me if I was exactly wearing them or not..... so I'm not quite sure what the elastics did for me. I don't really care either way, I just wanted straight teeth.

Correct me if I'm wrong VWEVO, but you can never fully eliminate overbite or underbite right? All my friends who did have braces said their ortho wanted to fix their overbites, but never really fixed it.

blinkme_210
05-05-2007, 01:54 AM

WOW!!!!

No shit hey, those oral surgeons and orthodontists work together building up each other's bank accounts. My ortho recommended that I had to get 6 teeth removed, all 4 wisdoms, and 1 tooth behind both canines. My top was pretty bad, and definitely needed the extra space created by the removal of the tooth behind the canines, but my bottom was relatively straight with plenty of room. Only decided to remove the bottom wisdom too, because I didn't want to possibly deal with them in the future, just get it all done at once. All said and done, oral surgeon cost me about ~$1800, and ortho charged about ~$5500.