PDA

View Full Version : Disabling SurfControl

USED1
04-13-2007, 08:11 AM
Is there anyway to disable or get around SurfControl? My work is blocking everything these days and it is probably only a matter of days before they start to block Beyond. :banghead: :banghead: :guns:

Xtrema
04-13-2007, 08:17 AM
telnet to a website at port 80 or 443 see if you get a reply.

If you do, they may not filter that traffic.

Then set up a proxy at home and use that proxy in your browser. Of course, that'll only work if they didn't lock down your IE. If they do, than install Firefox.

modded46
04-13-2007, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
telnet to a website at port 80 or 443 see if you get a reply.

If you do, they may not filter that traffic.

Then set up a proxy at home and use that proxy in your browser. Of course, that'll only work if they didn't lock down your IE. If they do, than install Firefox.

yah and get fired..

Don't try and get around Surf Control.. Surf Control monitors everything going out through all http ports.. you can even monitor audio/video/zip files that are being downloaded. And if the company really wants to be dicks about it, they can install Track4Win which monitors your PC for keystrokes and programs that you have running and how long those are active..

I do this all day as part of my job tasks.. Trust me big brother is watching and it's their equipment so treat it properly.

nos_efx
04-13-2007, 04:00 PM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

If the company wishes to block it don't try to get around it. Its their equipment, their bandwidth so they can do whatever they want. Read your employee handbook.

You can lose your job.

Originally posted by modded46

yah and get fired..

Don't try and get around Surf Control.. Surf Control monitors everything going out through all http ports.. you can even monitor audio/video/zip files that are being downloaded. And if the company really wants to be dicks about it, they can install Track4Win which monitors your PC for keystrokes and programs that you have running and how long those are active..

I do this all day as part of my job tasks.. Trust me big brother is watching and it's their equipment so treat it properly.

mekeni
04-14-2007, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by nos_efx
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

If the company wishes to block it don't try to get around it. Its their equipment, their bandwidth so they can do whatever they want. Read your employee handbook.

You can lose your job.

:werd:

codetrap
04-14-2007, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by USED1
Is there anyway to disable or get around SurfControl? My work is blocking everything these days and it is probably only a matter of days before they start to block Beyond. :banghead: :banghead: :guns:

Maybe its a hint? :whipped:

modded46
04-15-2007, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by codetrap

Maybe its a hint? :whipped:

That's a good point.. most companies that all of a sudden start monitoring people are "looking to make a change"

01RedDX
04-17-2007, 11:16 AM

USED1
04-17-2007, 01:19 PM
Actually, they aren't monitoring me, they have just blocked all things entertainment, etc. I have talked to my boss, and they have removed the surfcontrol on some stuff. :thumbsup:

codetrap
04-17-2007, 03:28 PM
It's never good when companies start blocking stuff. In my experience, it's always been because of one of two reasons.. the SysAdmin is on a power trip (only ever at smaller companies).. or there was a incident which caused the management to sit up and take notice..

In the case of the former, it usually ended with the SysAdmin being called onto the carpet to explain.. in the case of the latter.. it usually ended up with employees being dismissed.

Makes me glad that I'm at a company where they won't bother blocking. They just made it known that everything you do/say/write is logged. That's usually enough. If someone abuses the system, they're gone. Pretty simple.

In your case where they're blocking stuff "entertainment" then they probably feel that they have a company wide issue of lack of productivity. To me, that's a hint, and an opportunity if you play it out well.

USED1
04-17-2007, 09:13 PM
Actually, in this instance it is a sysadmin on a power trip. He has pissed of quite a few of the senior guys with all of the blocking. I don't have much time to usually surf the net, but like to during my lunch hour and that's what pissed me off.