PDA

View Full Version : Koni Yellow Inserts

Toms-SC
04-13-2007, 08:34 AM
So I picked up a set and got Koni's shitty 'one size fits all' instructions on how to hack up your old struts. Does anybody in here have any experience installing these things? Specifically looking for pictures or perhaps a tech article with pictures. Thanks! :angel:

tsi_neal
04-13-2007, 05:38 PM
Ive done 3 sets of inserts in the last year or two...

no pics but the only real trick is to not take to much material off when you cut the top. It may even be easier to cut the very minimum off test fit the insert then take off more material as needed.

Oh get a pail under the strut when you drill the hole in the bottom, and i like to bunch a rag around the drill bit when your getting close to going through, if the shock isnt blown it can squirt oil pretty far.

sovnar
04-14-2007, 10:46 PM
what car is this on? i just did a set last week im my MR2, iil admit the instructions do suck. dissasemble your old struts properly, and dont cut a hole in the bottom, you need to pour a small amount of gear oil down inside the strut before you put the insert in, this acts as a vehicle for heat dissipation from the insert to the strut housing, and will maximize life and performance. the little white spacer you should get goes on after assembly, underneath the boot, above the seal, to stop the boot from forcing air into the insert. i think those are the only problems i had. you dont always need to cut the insert. they sometimes do fit properly, if you cut them too short, youre gonna have a godawful clunk among other problems.

HTH! -Aaron

tsi_neal
04-15-2007, 04:27 AM
Originally posted by sovnar
what car is this on? i just did a set last week im my MR2, iil admit the instructions do suck. dissasemble your old struts properly, and dont cut a hole in the bottom, you need to pour a small amount of gear oil down inside the strut before you put the insert in, this acts as a vehicle for heat dissipation from the insert to the strut housing, and will maximize life and performance. the little white spacer you should get goes on after assembly, underneath the boot, above the seal, to stop the boot from forcing air into the insert. i think those are the only problems i had. you dont always need to cut the insert. they sometimes do fit properly, if you cut them too short, youre gonna have a godawful clunk among other problems.

HTH! -Aaron

So if you dont drill a hole in the bottom of the strut how do you secure the insert? Its a pretty critical step that you drill the hole and bolt them in place.

The oil you pour in helps prevent corrosion and lubricates the insert as it slides into the old strut and has nothing to do with heat dissapation, also if you have the REQUIRED bolt hole in the bottom of the old strut any excess will leak out anyways.

the white spacer is just there and doesnt do much, the dust/rock boot cant force air into the insert...

sovnar
04-15-2007, 11:43 AM
please note, that i did ask what car this was on, leaving large room for error. i gave information for my mr2 and said hope this helps. the inserts in my car come out the top, and are secured by a large bolt at the top that hold it down tightly.. if youre springs are weak, and the shock bottoms out, the white spacers will prevent air being forced behind the seal, reducing effectivness of the shock. this is how it is done on the MR2 SW20, and theese are the instructions i got from my local community that have worked well.