PDA

View Full Version : Costco changed their policy?

LaDeeDaDeeDa
04-13-2007, 08:37 AM
Hello,

I recently bought a TV from costco (52'' 1080P Sharp Aquos btw ):drool:, was also few hundred cheaper there than Future shop and best buy. And the lady was telling me how their warranty on electronics is now 30 days refund and 90 days on cash card (which cannot be refunded for cash, but has no expiry). Is anyone else aware of this? Not a big deal to me anyways since Sharp offers in home service, but at least I found out sooner than later about the 90 days because my parents were looking to pick up a cheap TV from there - but now that its only 90 days warranty I told them to stick with name brand, because it would suck to buy a cheap TV and have it break down 3.5 months later and have to deal with the manufacturer.

Crymson
04-13-2007, 08:50 AM
Someone else was complaining about this a few months back. I think Costco was starting to realize that they were being had, by people using their return policy as a free rental system.

JRSC00LUDE
04-13-2007, 08:56 AM
I think you can thank captain douchebag for that....

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/166760/costcos-return-policy-for-those-of-you-whom-shop-there-often/

Euro838
04-13-2007, 11:26 AM
I thought it was more around their return policy. I thought the warranty was still manufacturers and was the standard 1 year or something like that. I know when Costco first came here, they mainly brought in electronics directly from the states so there was no warranty for it in Canada or it the warranty was not honoured by the Canadian arm. Anyone know if this is still the case?

LaDeeDaDeeDa
04-13-2007, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Crymson
Someone else was complaining about this a few months back. I think Costco was starting to realize that they were being had, by people using their return policy as a free rental system. what do you mean? I just signed up a month ago and havent had anything but good experiences shopping there - especially on the chicken fingers :)

Weapon_R
04-13-2007, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
I think you can thank captain douchebag for that....

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/166760/costcos-return-policy-for-those-of-you-whom-shop-there-often/

hahaha the irony...

lamp_shade_2000
04-13-2007, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Euro838
I thought it was more around their return policy. I thought the warranty was still manufacturers and was the standard 1 year or something like that. I know when Costco first came here, they mainly brought in electronics directly from the states so there was no warranty for it in Canada or it the warranty was not honoured by the Canadian arm. Anyone know if this is still the case?

That is still the case. Hence their lower prices. When I spoke to the sharp representative for future shop he told me that people buying sharps from costco have no manufacturer warranty on their products.

clem24
04-13-2007, 01:15 PM
Manufacturer warranty almost never applies b/c Costco is not an authorized distributor. As far as the return policy is concerned, AFAIK, the 90 day policy is only in effect in the US and has not been adopted by Canada yet. Maybe that's where they're getting their info from.

Unless you actually see a sign posted up with the policy change, you can probably safely assume the old policy is in effect. I was just at Beacon Hill Costco and there were no signs up. But, having said that, I would prefer the new policy as although they reduce the time for returns, they double the original manufacturers warranty (so at least 2 years for TVs).

HyperZell
04-13-2007, 01:34 PM
I started a thread on this awhile ago:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/166877/costcos-new-return-policy/

Please do me a favor - before posting stupid comments, read the entire thread. I just KNOW that someone is going to read the first 3 posts and then lose it over something that isn't true.

TurboMedic
04-13-2007, 05:45 PM
On their receipts on major electronics purchases they have a 6 month policy.....we bought a laptop a couple weeks ago from there....I love costco

clem24
04-14-2007, 11:04 PM
Actually that's their computer policy...

Dayclone
04-15-2007, 01:09 AM
Don't buy cheap brands... otherwise my Dad's company can't help you fix them haha.

TurboMedic
04-15-2007, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by clem24
Actually that's their computer policy...

oh...