PDA

View Full Version : Where /how can I get faster then 1mb upload in Calgary?

HondaRice
04-13-2007, 01:23 PM
Where /how can I get faster then 1mb upload in Calgary?

I just pretty much use it for consumer heavier use, like exchange family videos and pictures, it takes for ever to upload.

shaw has 25 down, which more then i need, even 10 mb down is way more then most people need.

but i need more uplaod, shaw says they cant increase it becasue no competitors offer more then one mb upload, crtc wont allow an increase

considering, i live in the inner city, calgary, with a million internet and communications companies, nortel, shaw, novatel, westnet, telus, list goes on and on, how come its still 1mb upload. even in third world, and europe first world counteries its faster,

anyone know of a solution, or anything to get faster connection without spending more then a few hundred a month. something like 2-3 upload. telus, shaw, terago, any one knwo?

sputnik
04-13-2007, 01:41 PM
2-3 mbps upload for only a few hundred a month?

Why not just ask for world peace while you are at it?

At work we pay $1800/month for 10 mbps each way and the 10 mpbs burstable downstream with 3 mbps burstable upstream was quoted to us at around $1200/month. It is coming from Shaw Big Pipe and was a smoking deal compared to what other providers in town were quoting us.

Seriously though, how could 1 mbps not be enough for personal use?

hussein
04-13-2007, 02:06 PM
You are better off to probably just buy some hosting service and then upload them on there and have people download it from there?

codetrap
04-13-2007, 02:10 PM
GT, or BigPipe.

Really though, what possible "legal" consumer use could have currently have to be uploading files large enough that it takes forever?

If it's just video.. maybe faster to burn it to dvd and walk it over? or mail..

For photos? Shouldn't be an issue unless you're using RAW, or some other uncompressed format.

GoChris
04-13-2007, 09:06 PM
I used to upload 4gb files all the time, just leave it on overnight, problem solved by morning almost. but ya 1Mbps might not be much, but I don't see any competition so no reason for them to increase it.

doesnt make sense the crtc wont let them though. they just probably have no reason to increases costs for a very small % of users that would need it.

maxp
04-13-2007, 10:56 PM
I have the same problem of not being able to find a upload speed that I can work with. My site is hammered with hits and it's becoming pointless trying to load pages and media.

I am looking into 3rd party companies. One of them is jaguarpc.com they are offering 4mbps for $80 you can customize a vps server. They say for 1mbps addon to your package you get it for $10 or something. Why can an american company offer it for so cheap and a canadian company cant? or is it some kind of BS marketing? Can anyone help me out. To me it looks like a good deal and I was going to get it on Monday but I know so little about it and when you say $1800 a month for the internet connection VS $80 in USA wow, something dont sound right.

HondaRice
04-14-2007, 11:42 AM
in many places in america they have fibre to permisis, homes have cant have like 5mb upload

Originally posted by maxp
I have the same problem of not being able to find a upload speed that I can work with. My site is hammered with hits and it's becoming pointless trying to load pages and media.

I am looking into 3rd party companies. One of them is jaguarpc.com they are offering 4mbps for $80 you can customize a vps server. They say for 1mbps addon to your package you get it for $10 or something. Why can an american company offer it for so cheap and a canadian company cant? or is it some kind of BS marketing? Can anyone help me out. To me it looks like a good deal and I was going to get it on Monday but I know so little about it and when you say $1800 a month for the internet connection VS $80 in USA wow, something dont sound right.

sputnik
04-14-2007, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by maxp

$1800 is a direct connection to the building. Your $80 service is a colocation service where you would have access to a server at a remote location.

Getting fibre to a building isnt cheap and the loop and infrastructure costs are pretty heavy.

Hakkola
04-14-2007, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by HondaRice

considering, i live in the inner city, calgary, with a million internet and communications companies, nortel, shaw, novatel, westnet, telus, list goes on and on, how come its still 1mb upload. even in third world, and europe first world counteries its faster,

FYI North America is way behind Europe in regards to use of technology. It's sad. :thumbsdow

maxp
04-14-2007, 11:20 PM
do you know any euro hosts that can meet my demand 5mbps minimum with 800GB+ monthly bandwidth?

GoChris
04-15-2007, 07:48 AM
any dedicated server host will give you 100Mbps burstable and about 1TB a month bandwidth.

CalgarySupra
04-15-2007, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
2-3 mbps upload for only a few hundred a month?

Why not just ask for world peace while you are at it?

At work we pay $1800/month for 10 mbps each way and the 10 mpbs burstable downstream with 3 mbps burstable upstream was quoted to us at around $1200/month. It is coming from Shaw Big Pipe and was a smoking deal compared to what other providers in town were quoting us.

Seriously though, how could 1 mbps not be enough for personal use?

1200 for a big company two 10 two way is good price for that large company use.

mike is not asking for much, I have one mb up, i have sling box that family members use else where, and i have 2 phone lines, both voip, (this is normal many people have 2 phones, voip, and slingbox)

Plus its exteremly anonying when iam sending someone a file, not piracy just business stuff, or high resolution pictures from my CONSUMER camera.

CalgarySupra
04-15-2007, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by codetrap
GT, or BigPipe.

Really though, what possible "legal" consumer use could have currently have to be uploading files large enough that it takes forever?

If it's just video.. maybe faster to burn it to dvd and walk it over? or mail..

For photos? Shouldn't be an issue unless you're using RAW, or some other uncompressed format.

mike is not asking for much, I have one mb up, i have sling box that family members use else where, and i have 2 phone lines, both voip, (this is normal many people have 2 phones, voip, and slingbox)

Plus its exteremly anonying when iam sending someone a file, not piracy just business stuff, or high resolution pictures from my CONSUMER camera. shaw needs advertise more openly how slow the upload is, yes 25 or 10 down is more then almost anyone needs, but i also want a faster upload, not by much. considering i pay hundreds a month for shaw business internet since 1997

codetrap
04-15-2007, 04:26 PM
Fair enough. Though you could really cut down on that bandwidth usage by zipping and rar'ing your files. You can usually shrink a high resolution image by a fair bit that way.

Or, just get a hosting service, and post your pics to it. Lots of easy to implement scripts that thumbnail images, then let you dl a high res version.

beecue
04-15-2007, 06:47 PM
in europe u can get 25/25 for like $80/month .. i wish we had that here :drool:

Alterac
04-15-2007, 07:01 PM
Purchase a load balancing firewall, get two subscriptions to shaw... then you get 2mb for fairly cheep.
(assuming 7mb/1mb service)

CalgarySupra
04-15-2007, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Alterac
Purchase a load balancing firewall, get two subscriptions to shaw... then you get 2mb for fairly cheep.
(assuming 7mb/1mb service)

can you tell us more? so my upload speed will increase or is it just shared?

Alterac
04-17-2007, 08:41 PM
It will increase, cause technically you are paying $50/ea extreme modem subscription.. (which is 7dwn/1up).. plug em both into the load balancer, and you will get 14/2 (technically a bit less due to overhead, but yea).

So for $100/month and the cost of a $150 load balancing firewall, you get faster speeds.

dragonone
04-17-2007, 10:41 PM
wouldn't nitro exceed those speeds for 99.95? (except the bandwidth limit part)

beecue
04-17-2007, 10:51 PM
nitro is 25/1 i think .. they should bump upload to like 10 and that would be awesome

Deibs
04-17-2007, 11:27 PM
Yeah it's 1mb up. Best i've got is around 250kbps upload to a usenet server. I get around 2.1mbps download on the same server.

boopydogg
04-18-2007, 02:26 AM
ya load balacing firewall and 2 shaw modems is the way to go i used to have it when i lived with 2 shaw employees we had it and it was great

dragonone
04-18-2007, 10:29 AM
so where can i get a load balacing firewall?

Alterac
04-18-2007, 07:02 PM
something like this:
http://www.memoryexpress.com/index.php?PageTag=&page=file&memx_menu=EmbedProductDetail.php&DisplayProductID=9477&SID=