PDA

View Full Version : Anyone work for Telus call center

CCM Pro
04-14-2007, 12:25 AM
Hey all I am just looking for a job for a few months and I got offered two. One with Telus in the call center (the wireless one in the NE not downtown). The other is with Bell at SouthCenter Mall.

Has anyone worked for Telus in the call center or know anyone that has? Any feedback would be appreciated! As well if anyone has feedback on Bell too that would be cool.

Thanks!

ScottysZ
04-14-2007, 11:10 AM
I work at telus downtown, but not in the call center. Im not sure about whatever NE one your talking about and what they do, but telus does pay pretty good, and at least where i am the people are generally pretty cool. i think any job where you actually have to talk to customers starts at about 17 bucks an hour or something.

CCM Pro
04-14-2007, 11:22 AM
ya this one is a wireless sales rep and solutions or something like that and starts at 18.55/hr with some sales incentives which i have no idea what they are. the only thing i am wondering about is how strict they are at the call center in terms of timing your breaks etc... its not a big deal but just wondering

slick2404
04-14-2007, 11:29 AM
from personal experience, if telus finds out your only sticking around for a few months they wont hire you....tell em you want to work full time or 32 hours ect...and you'll goto school at night taking part time classes (if your still in school)

I've worked in a call center...not telus particular and the job itself wasn't that bad, but the company (3WEB) :thumbsdow was brutal ...as long as your not doing the calling.

from friends, i heard bell is brutal to work for, and telus is definitley a step up in terms of work environment....not sure on the work load itself though.

msouther
04-14-2007, 11:44 AM
I worked at the Telus tower downtown as a Consumer Sales Rep about 4 or 5 years ago for about 1 year. I was doing Outbound and Inbound Sales and the cash was pretty good. I was the top sales guy (not to brag, but just to give you an idea) on my team so if you can achieve that, then you will do fine. I only worked there P/T 4 hours a night and I was bringing in over $2000 in commission a month plus the wage of about $10/hour at that time. I quit because Telus' service was going to shit. It might be better now which would mean that you would have a lot more potential for $$$$$$. It is easier to sell something that you believe is a good product and so does the general public. Good luck!

"but the company (3WEB) was brutal "

I used to work at this place (3WEB) P/T for about 2 years and the only reason I stayed, was because I made good cash there. There service blows as well as the company and a lot of the coworkers, but I put up with that for a bit because the money was good. They changed the commission structure and I bolted from them.

Gravy_83
04-14-2007, 12:48 PM
I work downtown for Telus and I have worked for alot of call centers and this is by far the worse so far. I mean they say one thing do another. They had to setup a retention team because they are losing so many people because they make empty promises time after time after time. And they never pull through with any of them...But anyways its a decent job for a couple months but I have been there about a year and Im only staying there till I get the retention bonus that they setup to keep people there I know like 15 people there out of the like 80 that work in our department that will be quitting as soon as they reach 500 hours for 2007 hehe

CCM Pro
04-14-2007, 02:48 PM
hey Gravy_83...what kind of cash did you make and what hours did you work? Is it slack in terms of dress code etc... and can you get the shifts you want?

Hamann
04-14-2007, 04:52 PM
Worked for Telus downtown in their 411 call center, good money for what you do, but damn the most boring job ever, Dress code is slack, they really dont care what you wear, from my experience the managers there are all nice. But the job blows, sitting in a chair answering call after call, some people used to bring their homework and do it while they were there but again that can be hard when you are getting constant calls. Also you might wanna check what they say about hours, cause with what i was doing they had no guaranteed shifts (like mon - fri, 8-5) there random based on seniority. Which means you can get 2am to 10am shifts and random shit like that.

CCM Pro
04-16-2007, 11:06 AM
anyone else have some input?

thanks...

conschoi
04-16-2007, 03:14 PM
i am working in TELUS downtown as well, i think me and Gravy is working in the same department, hahaaha ~~ its really good, no pressure, good pay, offering lots of OT( double pay)

beecue
04-16-2007, 04:10 PM
i just applied to a job .. i hope they call me back :( .. great pay

BrknFngrs
04-16-2007, 04:20 PM
i had an interview with them last summer, they knew fully i was a student from the begining and failed to mention that their was no way to ensure that i wouldn't be schedule during classes until i went all the way down to the interview. It was a serious waste of time.

thrasher22
04-16-2007, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by BrknFngrs
i had an interview with them last summer, they knew fully i was a student from the begining and failed to mention that their was no way to ensure that i wouldn't be schedule during classes until i went all the way down to the interview. It was a serious waste of time.

At least they told you straight up, they kept telling me I'd rarely if ever have a problem, and if I did I'd be able to switch it in a second with someone. They constantly schedualed me for day shifts, which I would be late for because I had to cut class and rush downtown to get to, then I got fired for being late... to shifts I said I couldn't work.

When I wasn't working daytime shifts, they schedualed me for 5pm - 2am shifts every friday and saturday.

:bullshit:

If you're willing to work bullshift shifts, they treat you decently otherwise, wicked breakrooms (kitchens, pool tables, big screens with all digi channels, and discounts on telus stuff.
The sales guys get treated alot better than the average call center guys, most people get hired to do 411

5hift
04-16-2007, 09:03 PM
If anyone who works or has worked here, please clairify:

Other than the bs shifts how is it? Summer holidays start in a
week for me so I could care less about hours. Is it pretty stressful? Do you get decent breaks, how does lunch work? How long is a typical shift/do they give you two short shifts in a day etc? What is the pay range there, and what job should I aim for?

Mar
04-16-2007, 09:31 PM
I worked in the wireless center in the northeast, worked there for 1.5 years. It wasn't bad, starting pay is $18.19 per hour and goes up every six months about 50 cents an hour which is about $1000 per year. I was just under $20 an hour when I left. The environment was great, wear whatever you want, you can wear a hat if you like. Jeans, sweaters, doesn't matter. Plus they give you variable pay, have sundae days, barbeques, the perks are great. And they pay for your plan as long as you work there. BUT, dealing with morons on the phone every 10 minutes gets very stressful.

CCM Pro
04-16-2007, 09:52 PM
awesome feedback everyone...thanks!

just to add to the last thread the starting pay is now $18.55/hour and I was told by HR that they only pay something like 35% of your bill now not the free line like before.

beecue
04-17-2007, 08:15 PM
so i got invited to pre-employment assessment ... what kind of questions do they ask? .. it says its 2 hours long

Mar
04-18-2007, 01:58 AM
You fill out a test basically, it's logic questions like, "Which number comes next in this sequence?" And they give you something like 2 minutes or 10 seconds or something for various pages depending on the complexity. It's done as a group as well, and there's fruit and coffee provided. I think that's it anyway, it's been a while so I don't remember completely. There's another one after you get hired so I might be mixing the two. It's basically to see if your IQ is over 100.

beecue
04-18-2007, 09:40 PM
thanks .. should be ok i guess

Isaiah
04-18-2007, 10:05 PM
I can't speak for the Telus call centre but when I was working regional accounts with Rogers in Toronto, we were in the same building as the call centre and I had a lot of acquaintances that were working there (lunch buddies, etc.) They all basically had the same feedback about call centres in general:
- It sucks to be on your ass for so many hours in a row and the job can get extremely monotonous.
- There's no shortage of retards calling in for every imaginable stupid reason.
- If you can tolerate the stupidity and monotony, the compensation is decent for the amount of "work" you actually have to do.

bennyhanna
04-19-2007, 09:23 AM
To the OP

Just realize that you are working in a call center. If you never have worked in a call center
Listen to Isaiah

He speaks the truth.

The upside of it is
You can make some great friendships
There are great perks
You can move through Telus. Think of the Call center job as a foot in the door.

One last thing

Telus is a Union shop, so you will be bound to the Union and their Rules.

That can be a good or bad thing depending on your views of Unions

caffeine
04-19-2007, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by slick2404
from personal experience, if telus finds out your only sticking around for a few months they wont hire you....tell em you want to work full time or 32 hours ect...and you'll goto school at night taking part time classes (if your still in school)

How easy is it to do this? Any backlash / contract you're violating? I don't know if I'll have the time to work during school...

alexoxox35
10-26-2009, 08:52 AM
Does anyone know if Telus, Rogers or Bell are hiring in Vancouver this coming November 2009? I am relocating and would like to see what people have to say about these companies. Or if you happen to know any other reputable centers that may be hiring. Just so you know---Inside sales is where im the best and I am seriously a money maker with it. I just want to appy now for when I arrive