PDA

View Full Version : Out of province inspection dilema. How Illegal is this?

funkedelic
04-14-2007, 04:54 AM
Okay, so i have a situation that i need to take care of that involves my Out of province inspection.

My car was imported from the united states into canada at the end of last year. I had my out of country inspection performed at Canadian tire, and i went to a shop which will remain un-named. I went into the shop requesting an out of province inspection. I got the sheet signed right away WITHOUT having my car inspected or even looked at all. The agreement was to have one of the mechanics take a look at it later. I paid the guy $200 for the sheet.. and i held onto the sheet too long, not knowing that the inspection expired in 10 days!

My insurance agent needed the out of province form in order to issue me insurance. It wasn't until then that i noticed that the form expired so quickly. He took a look at it, and because on the sheet it stated that the vehicle had passed, he allowed me to insure the car. He did however mention to me that I would need a new form to be able to successfully register the car. I went into the registration office to make sure that was true, and they told me the same thing.

I have had insurance on the car since febuary, and I have been driving around the car without registration. (I know.. its illegal and dumb) but i don't have much of a choice.

I didn't have a problem with the shop just signing me the sheet because before the car arrived in Canada, i had a bmw shop do a full inspection on the car, and the few issues that it had were taken care of prior to the car being imported.

So i decided to go back to the shop. I have went by there numerous times and the owner that signed the paper is never around. I FINALLY caught him in last week, and he told me that he wouldn't simply make up another sheet for me. He wanted another $200!!

I didn't agree to that because i paid basically for a sheet of paper the first time around, and i don't want to pay for another one again.

SOO i came up with an idea. On the sheet it says

Certificate issued

2007 / 1 / 16

I was going to change the "1" into a 4.. and show up to a registration office on monday and say that i just got it done, since the doushebag owner of the shop didn't want to make me another sheet, and basically wanted money for free again.

I was really excited about the idea, but i am worried that the registration office will wonder why the car was insured in febuary and isn't getting registration until the 16th of APRIL.

My defense to that, would be "i got a sheet before, but it had expired, so this is my new sheet"

I read on the sheet that it says its an offense to file a falsify a certificate. I don't exactly know what they would do, but I don't know if its worth the trouble to save $200

My other option was to tell them what actually happened with the shop, and tell them that the car was never actually INSPECTED!

I am sure that signing the sheet itself without inspecting the car is some sort of fraud right? I don't know what that would mean for the shop either..

I have no idea what to actually do here.. I just want my registration..

Any feedback would be appreciated.

funkedelic
04-14-2007, 07:09 AM
anyone :dunno:

tjtd00
04-14-2007, 07:10 AM
changing the date is illegal. there are 3 carbon copies of it and one has to be mailed to the government within a week of issue. the government has on file your sheet that gives the original date. If you change the date they will know. I have no Idea the repercusions but I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND IT...

To the owner of said buisness....I hope you lose your license for being a crook...

your going to actually have to go have an inspection..or cough up the cash to the offending shop...It might might interesting to report them to amvic or alta transportation

funkedelic
04-14-2007, 07:13 AM
i was thinking of doing that, i have the numbers to call..
I wouldn't report the shop if they just actually inspected the car and didn't charge me another $200..

as for the sheet.. i forgot about the 3 copies. You saved me on that one lol

justincalgary
04-14-2007, 07:49 AM
So what I am understanding here, but I apologize if I am wrong.

You knowingly got a false Inspection sheet, you didn't realize how fast they expire, and because of your ignorance and a business owner just wanting to make money, although illegally, you now want to screw him because he won't put his business at risk for you for free. Why don't you just go to another shop and pay for the inspection.

Sounds like you want a bling car without the bling in your account....if you can afford the car, you can afford to do things the legal way.

If I remember right, that is a huge fine for not having registration.

Mangina
04-14-2007, 08:12 AM
$200 is way too much for an out of province inspection. I paid $85.

funkedelic
04-14-2007, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by justincalgary
So what I am understanding here, but I apologize if I am wrong.

You knowingly got a false Inspection sheet, you didn't realize how fast they expire, and because of your ignorance and a business owner just wanting to make money, although illegally, you now want to screw him because he won't put his business at risk for you for free. Why don't you just go to another shop and pay for the inspection.

Sounds like you want a bling car without the bling in your account....if you can afford the car, you can afford to do things the legal way.

If I remember right, that is a huge fine for not having registration.

Dude are you fucking kidding me? If you read that correctly, it says that a mechanic was suposse to take a look at the car, unfortunately i guess the owner forgot or didn't care enough to call me and sort things out.I didn't read the sheet, which was stupid of me.. yes

You have to realize that the owner is aware of the fact that he never actually inspected the car.. which means i paid money for a piece of paper and not the actual service which i actually paid $200 for!

He should inspect the car NOW free of charge since it was never actually done! Which makes him a crook..

I don't know about you, but i don't exactly like throwing away money. I don't have $200 to throw around, and why let yourself get cheated out of money? Sorry i can't just have a "oh well, i have money so i might as well waste so more.." attitude.

think before you judge people and assume they don't have money in the bank.. asshole

infected
04-14-2007, 08:29 AM
Don't risk it, just take it to another shop.

justincalgary
04-14-2007, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by funkedelic

Dude are you fucking kidding me? If you read that correctly, it says that a mechanic was suposse to take a look at the car, unfortunately i guess the owner forgot or didn't care enough to call me and sort things out.I didn't read the sheet, which was stupid of me.. yes

You have to realize that the owner is aware of the fact that he never actually inspected the car.. which means i paid money for a piece of paper and not the actual service which i actually paid $200 for!

He should inspect the car NOW free of charge since it was never actually done! Which makes him a crook..

I don't know about you, but i don't exactly like throwing away money. I don't have $200 to throw around, and why let yourself get cheated out of money? Sorry i can't just have a "oh well, i have money so i might as well waste so more.." attitude.

think before you judge people and assume they don't have money in the bank.. asshole

If you are that perturbed about it and think he was a crook, then why did you hand over the $200 in the first place. Like one of the other guys said, inspections don't cost that much.

funkedelic
04-14-2007, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by justincalgary

If you are that perturbed about it and think he was a crook, then why did you hand over the $200 in the first place. Like one of the other guys said, inspections don't cost that much.

well unforunately he didn't have one of those "crook faces". It's a legit shop, i figured that they would be more professional then that. I paid the money because i needed the sheet to register my car. I was sure that eventually the guy would call me when he actually had time to really go through it and inspect the car.

It wasn't my idea to get the sheet in advance and have the service done later. I guess it is my fault because i let the days slip away and i didn't check the expiry date on the sheet.

What I am trying to get across is that the owner has already done business illegaly since he signed a sheet stating that the car is in road worthy condition and that he has inspected it. Imagine if it wasn't? The guy has never even seen the car in person. He now refuses to do the inspection or make me another sheet.

The car has already passed a very in depth inspection at a bmw dealership so i know It will pass the out of province inspection, i just need the sheet to legaly drive my car.

The huge ticket you are thinking about is failing to provide insurance.. i'm not sure how much the registration ticket is, but i want to take care of this so I don't get pulled over.

I don't live in calgary, i found that the average price for inspections in lethbridge was at around $200 btw.

403Gemini
04-14-2007, 10:19 AM
Any thread that starts w/ "How Illegal is this?" should be closed immediatly. That is probably the stupidest question ever heard.

It's illegal and you can get charged... severely. You're altering a contract and that can fuck you HARD.

BerserkerCatSplat
04-14-2007, 10:42 AM
You should try it and then let us know how it works out.

mekeni
04-14-2007, 10:46 AM
I wouldn't do it.. I would have just have it inspected again.

SilverGS
04-14-2007, 11:22 AM
I got my out of province inspection done at CDN Tire as well. Is there a reason you couldn't get both the' out of country and out of province there? or maybe 2 different CDN Tires? Cost me $150 for the inspection there.

I guess it comes down to is the cost of getting an inspection somewhere else really worth any legal troubles that may come out of going after that guy?

hjr
04-14-2007, 11:24 AM
take it somewhere else for an inspection.

mx73someday
04-14-2007, 11:41 AM
If you exceed the 10 or 14 day limit to submit the OOP passed document then every shop is obligated to charge you for a new inspection fee regardless if you paid for an OOP previously. There's nothing shady about him wanting to charge you the fee again, I won't comment on the shadiness of passing a car without seeing it...

euro_racer
04-14-2007, 11:59 AM
sorry man but justincalgary is right here...there is no need to blame the owner of that shop. it seems to me that you are blaming him souley on your frustration because you know you, and only you messed up on this by not handing the sheet in.

the same thing happened to me once and i had to caugh up more money to get the inspection re-done because those sheets are goverment issued and because of the new rules a shop is allowed to issue so many sheets/inspections a day, therefore the owner would be loosing money because of your mistake.

so the only thing you can do is pay for another inspection (recogmended) or be a really big prick and report the shop (the shop would get shit but you will be still left without an inspection sheet :) )

edit: just like it was stated above me, maybe they can change the date for you? :dunno:

DayGlow
04-14-2007, 01:33 PM
lol, sounds a drug user that calls the cops because he gets ripped off by his dealer.

ScottysZ
04-14-2007, 05:30 PM
Alright, as stated before, 200 bucks for an out of prov is too much, i paid 107 for mine and i think i got screwed.

DO NOT drive it around for long without getting it registered. I did that when i got mine, had insurance and stuff but just threw a plate on for a week from one of my other cars and when i was driving some cops behind me ran my plate, pulled me over, and i got 2 tickets for a grand total of $460. The only reason my car didnt get impounded is that i was about a block from my house, so they let me park it there.

As for that shithead at the shop, tell him youre gonna take it to the news and the BBB unless you get a real inspection which you already paid for. If he doesnt pull through, do it. You might (probably wont) get a slap on the wrist but hell get his ass pulled through the grinder.

And for the registry, they wont care about the date. I had my car insured a month before i got it registered. You can just tell them you got it insured vause you planned on driving it, but the weather was too shitty up till now, or some shit like that. But really, they wont care, they cant prove anything by it... unless you drive it down the registry, which i wouldnt particularly recommend.

kaput
04-14-2007, 05:50 PM

ZyaL8R
04-14-2007, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by DayGlow
lol, sounds a drug user that calls the cops because he gets ripped off by his dealer.

WINNER!

justincalgary
04-14-2007, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by ScottysZ

As for that shithead at the shop, tell him youre gonna take it to the news and the BBB unless you get a real inspection which you already paid for. If he doesnt pull through, do it. You might (probably wont) get a slap on the wrist but hell get his ass pulled through the grinder.

So he is supposed to call the BBB and the news if he doesn't do it again? That makes no sense, if the guy is illegally doing it, that means 1) He doesn't expect you to come back and try to extort him because of your slowness. 2) See above quote about drug dealer.:nut:

jdmXSI
04-14-2007, 09:05 PM
Just pay the extra $200 and get it over with, I did the same thing when I Imported my car from Japan! I waited too long and then the laws got stricter:dunno:, I had to just suck it up and pay again for another O.O.P. I feel ya buddy, how ever you should just do the legit thing and just pay the extra cash, It will save many head aches down the road! Good Luck!