Altezza
04-14-2007, 05:53 PM
Restaurant name: Via Allegro Ristorante
Type: Italian Fine Dining
Food: 4.8 / 5
Ambiance: 4.5 / 5
Service: 4.25 / 5
Value: 5 / 5

Cost: $220 for 2 appetizers, two mains, two glasses of prosecco.

Another highly rated restaurant in the GTA (supposedly 4-star). I hadn't heard all that much about this restaurant but decided to give it a try on a recommendation. Upon arriving at the restaurant, it looked very sketchy from the outside. But as I entered through the doors, I quickly remember the cliche, "Don't judge a book by it's cover." The restaurant was immaculately decorated and I immediately noticed the huge wine collection. Huge isn't even a word to describe it. In fact, the wine menu was thicker than my University textbooks (over 5000 wines). They also had a full offering of every other type of alcohol you could imagine. The sommelier has been honoured as one of Toronto's finest.

Onto the food. Unfortunately, the head chef was not available and we were not able to try the tasting menu. So my guest and I each ordered an appetizer and main. The elegant Italian dishes were prepared with French twist. No complaints except my dish was more medium-rare than the rare I had requested. The prosecco also wasn't as good as I had anticipated. The service was adequate, but not nearly to the level as other fine dining establishments in TO.

Overall, my guest and I enjoyed our dining experience and will likely return again to try the tasting menu. I was pleasantly surprised at the great value offered by this restaurant.