PDA

View Full Version : Review: Belgo

max_boost
04-15-2007, 12:39 AM
Restaurant name: Belgo
Location: 126-513 8 Avenue SW, Calgary (kitty corner to Holt Renfrew)
Type: Lounge, Brasserie, Tapas w/ wine; French Cuisine
Food rating: 3 / 5
Ambiance: 4 / 5
Service: 2 / 5
Value: 2 / 5

Cost: $105 for one appetizer, one house salad, one main, one tea.

Went there tonight on a whim with a group of friends. We missed the dining crowd so the restaurant was not that busy, so we expected that service would be prompt and efficient. However, it was quite the opposite.

The GF wasn't that hungry so she ordered a French onion soup ($12) and the salade maison ($9). I ordered "les gout de la mer," an appetizer with an assortment of cold seafood ($45) and a mélange of seafood in a broth as my entrée ($32). The appetizer was sub-par, small portions and lacked taste, presentation was good. Nothing noteworthy besides the obvious disappointment.

My GF, who is known to add salt to everything she eats, found the French Onion way too salty. I tried it and also found it salty. She brought it up with our server who replied,"we can't do anything about it, that is how it is made," and offered to take it off the bill. Awhile later the server returned and informed us that the kitchen staff had tasted the soup and they too found it to be extremely salty and offered their apologies. The salade maison was decent, nothing too special. It consisted of salad greens, cut up beets and Camembert cheese. There was nothing spectacular about the dressing.

My entrée was mediocre. I found it to be quite bland and lacked anything to write home about. Although there was a good amount of seafood they did not include the baguette which was an important accompaniment to the seafood stew.

Upon finishing our entrées, empty plates were left at the table for quite a long time until our server showed up. We asked or a dessert menu and ended up waiting awhile for her to bring them and even longer for her to ask about our selections. By this time, everyone at the table had had enough and we just asked for our bills.

There was a live band there, the music was wonderful, however it was a little too loud and difficult to have a conversation with our dining partners.

Needless to say, no one in our party was impressed with the food or the service and it was the consensus that we would not be returning.

sl888
04-15-2007, 12:57 PM
Went there one time and it was completely dead. Was seated and nobody came back to take our orders or drinks. Got up after a little bit and went over to Mango Shiva. :thumbsup: for Mango Shiva.

snowboard
04-15-2007, 01:02 PM
Strange i went there for lunch, had 2 whisky waters, a steak sandwhich and fries.
i found the the food to be pretty good, the service was alright, and yah it was a friday and was not busy...
id go backk?

Altezza
04-15-2007, 02:44 PM
I was there for a business lunch a couple weeks back. I can't say it was the most enjoyable lunch but I'd give the food a 3.75. The service sucked balls.

SuPhistiKatEd
04-15-2007, 03:12 PM
Somebody told me that they have a no-bra policy for their waitresses there. Hubba-hubba.

lilmira
04-15-2007, 06:00 PM
Food is ok but definitely overpriced for what it is, nothing special at all. 1 waitress is hot when I went there, same as any other place.

I won't go there again.

Kaos
04-15-2007, 06:09 PM
For that amount, I could've had 20 pho dinners for that much.