PDA

View Full Version : 1997 BMW 540i Questions

The Cosworth
04-15-2007, 10:52 PM
I am looking at a 1997 BMW 540i, automatic with 4.4L V8, fully loaded with everything except the sunshade and built in garage door opener.

Asking $16500 and has just over 200,000 Km

Wondering on the reliability of these and if that price is fair, I am not really sure if it is or not.

The Cosworth
04-15-2007, 10:53 PM
Copy of the ad:

"-1997 BMW 540i premium (all options as far as i know of, except for rear sun shade, and built in garage door opener)
-4.4L V8 282hp, 324ft-lbs
-5speed automatic with economy mode and 4speed sport mode.
-power everything including windows, door locks, mirrors, steering wheel, 16 way power adjustable premium comfort seats, infinitly adjustable heated seats, heated steering wheel, heated mirrors, auto dimming rear view mirror, back up sensors, cruise control, way too much to list, you get the idea
-sunroof
-factory 6 disk CD changer in the trunk, tape player in dash, 12 speaker stereo. all Alpine as far as i know.
-BMW active stability control (push button on/off) with ABS
-black paint
-black leather including seats, steering wheel, door pannels in good condition on black interior with real woodgrain accents
-no dec's over $2000
-BC car

-front 18x8, rear 18x9.5" BMW M-Parallel replicas with f235/40ZR-18 r265/35ZR-18 Falken Azenis ST115 rubber used for one season
-16x7" oem BMW style 33 wheels with BRAND NEW 225/55/16 winter tires
-lowered aprox 2" on H&R race springs

in the last 10,000kms or less:
-Brembo blank rotors front and rear
-PBR brake pads front and rear
-Lemforder (OEM) lower control arms, upper control arms (thrust arms), upper and lower control arm bushings, lower control arm ball joint.
-water pump
-coolant replaced 1000kms ago with BMW fluids
-power steering fluid
-oil changed every 5000kms with BMW recommended oil, with oem BMW filter
-four wheel alignment
im sure there's more that im forgetting.

ALL, i repeat, ALL maintenance has been completed from the cooling system, new exhaust, cats and O2 sensors, to the interior display. I have a print out of the service history from BMW and its half an inch thick.

-as with most 5-series' the cup holders are broken (can be replaced $30 ebay)
-there are a few small dings around the car as you would expect, none are major, none have broken paint. dentique quoted me $250 for everything.
-2 small rock chips on the windshield

as it sits with the 18s on:"

whiskas
04-15-2007, 11:00 PM
Why would someone replace so much of the suspension for any reason other than it being in an accident?

edit: Just noticed the 2" drop, I hope those aren't on stock struts.

The Cosworth
04-15-2007, 11:02 PM
I thought that you might have to swap some of that stuff when you lower it?

I have never lowered a car so I dont know, maybe neglect?

What would you guys pay for something like this?

ricefarmer
04-15-2007, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by whiskas
Why would someone replace so much of the suspension for any reason other than it being in an accident?

if you are talking about this...

Lemforder (OEM) lower control arms, upper control arms (thrust arms), upper and lower control arm bushings, lower control arm ball joint.

...then those are the types of parts on all vehicles that require replacement at some point due to general wear. It seems normal considering the mileage.

and to the OP I don't know if this is the first car of this caliber you are considering but repair and maintenance costs on this bitch will eaily run you what you're paying for the car in the first place over the next few years. (if dealer serviced)
Other than that, seems like a good price

scat19
04-15-2007, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by whiskas

edit: Just noticed the 2" drop, I hope those aren't on stock struts.

With that many high kms, you need to replace a lot of the front suspension to maintain a great feel and no wobbling etc.

The Cosworth
04-15-2007, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by ricefarmer

if you are talking about this...

...then those are the types of parts on all vehicles that require replacement at some point due to general wear. It seems normal considering the mileage.

and to the OP I don't know if this is the first car of this caliber you are considering but repair and maintenance costs on this bitch will eaily run you what you're paying for the car in the first place over the next few years. (if dealer serviced)
Other than that, seems like a good price

yeah this will be the first car like it, there isnt a BMW dealer where I am moving so it wont really matter.

you think it could run me 5 or 6 grand a year in repair hey? if so then I wont get it.

hjr
04-16-2007, 03:54 PM
it seems too much for the km's

tentacles
04-16-2007, 04:01 PM
there isnt a BMW dealer where I am moving so it wont really matter.

This is a good thing?