PDA

View Full Version : Crazy shooting at Virginia Tech

Pages : [1] 2

B17a
04-16-2007, 10:39 AM
Sounds like some guy has totally lost his mind!! 20 killed according to CNN, probably more to come....:eek:

http://us.cnn.com/2007/US/04/16/vtech.shooting/index.html

BerserkerCatSplat
04-16-2007, 10:48 AM
Wonderful. :(

acura_el
04-16-2007, 10:49 AM
wow, it's up to 21 now. that's sad:(

l8braker
04-16-2007, 10:52 AM
That is terrible :( :(

snowboard
04-16-2007, 10:57 AM
cus my freind just told me about this..
just dont get it....

Toms-SC
04-16-2007, 11:02 AM
29 and still going up

djayz
04-16-2007, 11:04 AM
holy redicoulous shit :thumbsdow

Toms-SC
04-16-2007, 11:07 AM
Shooting at Virginia Tech / Statement by President Charles W. Steger

The university was struck today with a tragedy of monumental proportions. There were two shootings on campus. In each case, there were fatalities. The university is shocked and horrified that this would befall our campus. I want to extend my deepest, sincerest and most profound sympathies to the families of these victims which include students There are 22 confirmed deaths.

We currently are in the process of notifying families of victims. The Virginia Tech Police are being assisted by numerous other jurisdictions. Crime scenes are being investigated by the FBI, University Police, and State Police. We continue to work to identify the victims impacted by this tragedy. I cannot begin to covey my own personal sense of loss over this senselessness of such an incomprehensible and heinous act The university will immediately set up counseling centers. So far centers have been identified in Ambler Johnson and the Cook Counseling Center to work with our campus community and families.

Here are some of the facts we know:

At about 7:15 a.m. this morning a 911 call came to the University Police Department concerning an event in West Amber Johnston Hall. There were multiple shooting victims. While in the process of investigating, about two hours later the university received reports of a shooting in Norris Hall. The police immediately responded. Victims have been transported to various hospitals in the immediate area in the region to receive emergency treatment.

We will proceed to contact the families of victims as identities are available.

All classes are cancelled and the university is closed for the remainder for the today. The university will open tomorrow at 8 a.m. but classes will be cancelled on Tuesday. The police are currently staging the release of people from campus buildings.

Families wishing to reunite with the students are suggested to meet at the Inn at Virginia Tech. We are making plans for a convocation tomorrow (Tuesday) at noon at Cassell Coliseum for the university community to come together to begin to deal with the tragedy.

heinz256
04-16-2007, 11:07 AM
wow. jus fcukin sad.:(

n1zm0
04-16-2007, 11:08 AM
columbine copycats, always around this time of year, some thing to do with Hitler's birthday, why does all the fked up shit happen down there.. fken horrible.

Russo
04-16-2007, 11:11 AM
wow sad :(

euro_racer
04-16-2007, 11:13 AM
wow thats unbeleavable
...almost like mass school shooting rampages are becoming a regular thing :thumbsdow

treg50
04-16-2007, 11:13 AM
Can't wait to find out the backstory on this one. :dunno:

CNN's going to have a field day for months.

TKRIS
04-16-2007, 11:34 AM
Reports say the campus is now secured.

How many lives could have been saved?

http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/wb/xp-50658

The sooner people realize that criminals and psychopaths don't generally abid by the letter of the law, or, in this case, "school policy", the safer we'll all be.

Kris

brandon
04-16-2007, 11:35 AM
wow... :(

sl888
04-16-2007, 11:41 AM
This whole situation boggles my mind. Why wasn't classes cancelled after the first shooting when they were unable to locate the shooter. Why didn't police didn't act immediately until the second shooting. Like WTF 2 shootings by the same person 2 hours apart across campus is just :banghead:

JAYMEZ
04-16-2007, 11:45 AM
Jesus christ , thats freakin horrible.

Toms-SC
04-16-2007, 11:50 AM
30 and still climbing. Fox news has pictures of them hauling bodies out of the school, not very tasteful so I am not going to link them.

01RedDX
04-16-2007, 11:52 AM

Hakkola
04-16-2007, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by n1zm0
columbine copycats, always around this time of year, some thing to do with Hitler's birthday, why does all the fked up shit happen down there.. fken horrible.

What do you mean why does all the fucked up shit happen down there? Ever hear of Taber? Montreal last year had a school shooting as well, 19 injured.

When that many people get killed it's likely random killings, absolutely senseless, I don't understand it. WTF is wrong with people.

SCHIDER23
04-16-2007, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by sl888
This whole situation boggles my mind. Why wasn't classes cancelled after the first shooting when they were unable to locate the shooter. Why didn't police didn't act immediately until the second shooting. Like WTF 2 shootings by the same person 2 hours apart across campus is just :banghead:

I was thinking the same thing wtf I don't get it, is school more important than survival? they even had a bomb thread the first day of school :confused:

TKRIS
04-16-2007, 12:07 PM
One of the most tragic shootings in recent memory, and "Fox News Live Stream" is just a camera pointed at a brick wall. Nice work fellas...

n1zm0
04-16-2007, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola

What do you mean why does all the fucked up shit happen down there? Ever hear of Taber? Montreal last year had a school shooting as well, 19 injured.

When that many people get killed it's likely random killings, absolutely senseless, I don't understand it. WTF is wrong with people.

i meant in the sense that it all stems from the U.S, that college is the same place where the guy was in the clock tower and sniped a bunch of people in the 50's/60's (??)

B17a
04-16-2007, 12:14 PM

i meant in the sense that it all stems from the U.S, that college is the same place where the guy was in the clock tower and sniped a bunch of people in the 50's/60's (??)

UNiversity of Texas.

TKRIS
04-16-2007, 12:14 PM

I'm pretty sure that was in Texas.

They're now reporting he likely had a 9mm pistol and a .22LR pistol with extra magazines...

Furthermore, they're blaming the Asians...

Euro_Trash
04-16-2007, 12:24 PM
Wow and I've been stressing about exams, I can't imagine having to go through something like this...

Kirbs17
04-16-2007, 12:27 PM
RIP :(

beecue
04-16-2007, 12:28 PM
:eek: this is crazy .. they had 2 bomb scares last week .. prolly buy the same person .. planning prolly too see response by police .. and how does he shoot people in one building and walk across for 2 hours and no one notices the person :confused:

edit: up to 31 killed now :(

Mr_John
04-16-2007, 12:41 PM
From Yahoo

A gunman opened fire in a dorm and classroom at Virginia Tech on Monday, killing at least 30 people in the deadliest shooting rampage in U.S. history, government officials told The Associated Press. The gunman was killed, bringing to death toll to 31, but it was unclear if he was shot by police or took his own life.

It's finally over. Hope that lil bitch goes straight to hell.

also from yahoo
Timeline: Shootings at U.S. College Campuses
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=9603275

Wow what a great attitude these people have. They fail at their own fault and take it out and obviously put blame on others. I guess working hard and doing better isnt doesnt sit well with others.

JAYMEZ
04-16-2007, 12:51 PM
I guess the school emailed ... yes emailed students not to come to the school!? And how the hell does he walk around for 2 bloody hours!!!?

Toms-SC
04-16-2007, 12:52 PM
Fuck they are interviewing some students right now that were on the floor below that continued to write their tests because the instructors would not let them go!

*Edit: People jumping out of 3rd floor windows to get away from shooter. People on 2nd floor writing test see them jumping out the windows. :eek:

Toms-SC
04-16-2007, 01:19 PM
Coming from another forum I belong to. Somebody's roommate.

Zach my room mate just got back and he told us his story. he was in norris hall and heard the gunshots comign from down the hall. while others hid in the class room zach got a few others to help him baracade the door with desks. He could hear the gunman coming down the hall opening doors n firing into class rooms. Zach then saw his door handle turn and the gun man tried to get in zach and the others slammed the door back shut and got on the ground holding the door shut with desks. zach then said he heard the the gunman reload and fired two shots directly through the door luckily didnt hit anybody then the gunman left

msommers
04-16-2007, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Toms-SC
Coming from another forum I belong to. Somebody's roommate.

Zach my room mate just got back and he told us his story. he was in norris hall and heard the gunshots comign from down the hall. while others hid in the class room zach got a few others to help him baracade the door with desks. He could hear the gunman coming down the hall opening doors n firing into class rooms. Zach then saw his door handle turn and the gun man tried to get in zach and the others slammed the door back shut and got on the ground holding the door shut with desks. zach then said he heard the the gunman reload and fired two shots directly through the door luckily didnt hit anybody then the gunman left

That just sent chills up my spine. I'm literally speechless.

RaptorGJC
04-16-2007, 01:29 PM
^^ Woah that's crazy. WTF is rong with people nowadays?? shooting their problems away seems to be the way to do it...:( R.I.P. Virgina Tech victims

Toms-SC
04-16-2007, 01:31 PM
Some of the shooting on you tube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HNrBd4kKMg

snowboard
04-16-2007, 01:32 PM
what god damn fuckin coward mother fucker.
fuckin fag. ugh.
makes me so mad. omggggggg
id just want run up behind him and bash him with a fuckin chair then stomp all over his fagget ass fuck.
UGH.

Toma
04-16-2007, 01:33 PM
Scary... already the Americans are blaming not being able to carry on campus lol.

They need a real gun bill down there... something more like here where its actually hard to get a handgun.

kenny
04-16-2007, 01:40 PM
Just read in the paper that we would have had a shooting in Calgary too at a Catholic Junior High School if it wasn't for the parents who turned in their own child to Calgary Police.

Kid was 14 and they found an assault rifle in his house.

What a messed up world we live in.

TKRIS
04-16-2007, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Toma
Scary... already the Americans are blaming not being able to carry on campus lol.

They need a real gun bill down there... something more like here where its actually hard to get a handgun.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA.

I'm going to assume you're kidding, because no one could possibly be stupid enough to think that Canada's gun laws have any positive effects.

It's hard to get a handgun??
Well, I've got a new one on the way, and there's a fair bit of paperwork and redtape that I have to go through to get it.
Usually takes a few days to get transfer and ATT's in place.
It's a bit of a pain in the ass to do it the legal way.

On the other hand, I could get an illegal handgun inside of 4 hours.

If any of the students of professors, who have valid CCW's, had been allowed to carry on campus, we'd have a lot less grieving families right now.

TeamBestBud
04-16-2007, 01:41 PM
haha, the Presidential spokeperson says Bush still supports the right to bear arms...way to go:thumbsup:

Milk2%
04-16-2007, 01:43 PM
RIP to all. Its always sad to see something like this.n

Toma
Originally posted by TeamBestBud
haha, the Presidential spokeperson says Bush still supports the right to bear arms...way to go:thumbsup:
Only in America lol

BigMass
Originally posted by Toma

lol yeah that's really gonna stop some crazy fuck that's about to murder 30 people from getting his hands on a gun. Kinda how like it's so hard to get a gun in LA and Detroit which have tighter gun controls than Canada. All the gun control nuts are going to have a field day with this trying to politicize it :rolleyes:

Toma
04-16-2007, 01:47 PM
Let me tell you whre MOST guns used in crime come from....

From ex-gun owners like me. We had a B&E, and my legal guns, including a 9mm Ruger P85 ended up on the street with no effort.

That and in the US break ins at gun shops, pawn shops, and sometimes transport heists of LEGAL guns.

That is the root. Why the fuck anyone NEEDS a handgun is beyond me. (yes, my attitude was different when I was young and had 6 or 7 guns). but no longer.

As for the Virginina shooting today. Would the death toll been lower had someone been packin'?? Maybe? Coulda also been higher.

But on a an average, you can clearly see stats around the globe, that the easier it is to get a gun legally, the higher the gun death rate... :dunno: It's a non issue. It's fact.

Toms-SC
04-16-2007, 01:48 PM
Can we keep the gun debate out of this thread and post what is going on with the current event of the shooting?

Toma
04-16-2007, 02:09 PM
Can we keep the gun debate out of this thread and post what is going on with the current event of the shooting?
Fuck, fine.... Michael Moore is gonna be pissed!

BigMass
04-16-2007, 02:12 PM

well considering the guy that did it is dead, there's not much left to talk about until we get a motive. Hope they don't find Marilyn Manson songs on his computer and links to some goth sites.

kertejud
04-16-2007, 02:19 PM
Apparently the guy was abusing his girlfriend and the RA confronted him on it and he shot her, then his girlfirend before going on his rampage.

This is an early report so there's likely more to it, but this just gets more sad and fucked up as he day goes on.

Super_Geo
04-16-2007, 02:21 PM
Has anyone else noticed the correlation between more powerful video game consoles (which no doubt allows those developers to make more realistic violent games) and higher death tolls in school shootings?

Someone needs to step in. If this kid only had Pong and bad 80s rock at his disposal he would not have done this. Microsoft and Sony are accessories to this crime... not so much Nintendo cause the graphics on the Wii kind of sucks.

R-Audi
04-16-2007, 02:26 PM
Not sure how accurate this info is, but I got it from another forum:

Apparently the gunman went and confronted his gf as she had cheated on him, and was pregnant by the other guy. She gave a breif description of the guy, and he then killed her. (First shooting?)

He then went to the Engineering building, and began executing anyone who remotely fit the description. Sounds like he went into some classes and opened fire in the direction of 'possible look a-likes'

Pretty scary and messed up...RIP

KuruptEX
04-16-2007, 02:32 PM
WHOA thats just fucked right up oh man wtf:bullshit: :bullshit:

dennisaur
04-16-2007, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Super_Geo
Has anyone else noticed the correlation between more powerful video game consoles (which no doubt allows those developers to make more realistic violent games) and higher death tolls in school shootings?

Someone needs to step in. If this kid only had Pong and bad 80s rock at his disposal he would not have done this. Microsoft and Sony are accessories to this crime... not so much Nintendo cause the graphics on the Wii kind of sucks.

lmao you gotta be fucking kidding me. it's always blame this and blame that for the ills of society. whatever happened to the fact that maybe... the dude was just fucking crazy?

nos_efx
04-16-2007, 03:07 PM
Yeah or maybe his friggin parents didn't raise this kid up properly. I love it when people try to place the blame on soemone else.

Originally posted by dennisaur

lmao you gotta be fucking kidding me. it's always blame this and blame that for the ills of society. whatever happened to the fact that maybe... the dude was just fucking crazy?

BigMass
04-16-2007, 03:10 PM
i think Super_Geo was being sarcastic guys

max_boost
04-16-2007, 03:20 PM
:( :( :(

n1zm0
04-16-2007, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by B17a

UNiversity of Texas.

my bad, ya its already on wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_Tech_shootings) .. like someone said, the timeline in which the e-mail was sent 2 hours later is fken ridiculous..

Hakkola
04-16-2007, 03:28 PM

I've also noticed increased death tolls in school shootings in relation to global warming and cigarette bans.

If video games were invented earlier the Nazi's would have won WW2.

Good call on the sarcasm. ;)

RaptorGJC
04-16-2007, 03:28 PM
:thumbsdow 33 dead...:thumbsdow

Dj_Stylz
04-16-2007, 03:33 PM
Holly fuck.... RIP to all the people that died.

Police
04-16-2007, 04:14 PM

I've also noticed increased death tolls in school shootings in relation to global warming and cigarette bans.

super_geo = beyond idiotic

sk65guy
04-16-2007, 04:19 PM
Just watched the news.. its a total of 33 killed and 15 wounded... its really bad someone people are crazy :(

Mr_John
04-16-2007, 04:42 PM
* 9:26 a.m.: Emails go out to campus staff and faculty saying there has been a shooting on campus.[4]
* 9:50 a.m.: An email announcing "A gunman is loose on campus. Stay in buildings until further notice. Stay away from all windows" [sic] is sent to all Virginia Tech email addresses.
* 10:52 a.m.: Follow up email goes to VTech campus regarding shooting

Bravo Virgina Tech. These idiots decided to send out emails to alert the students 30 minutes AFTER the incident that a gunman was loose and that shootings and deaths have and are occuring on campus. They alert the faculty first but I guess students werent important enough to know of the shootings that had occured. Not to mention they didnt even bother to suspend the rest of classes for the day knowing the gunman was loose and people had died.

The faculty should ALL be fired. Especially the moron prof's that decided that a test was more important than their lives and wouldnt let the students go for safety.

The gunman will definitely be the main topic and how big of a fuckhead he is. But the college handled this situation in the worst possible way. The gunman was able to have a second round of shootings after he probably took a nap after his first rampage. Emails were their plan to inform and alert students? Wow.

It was said that students also used Facebook to alert other students and text messages. Facebook :nut: :rofl:

Super_Geo
04-16-2007, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by dennisaur

Originally posted by nos_efx
Yeah or maybe his friggin parents didn't raise this kid up properly. I love it when people try to place the blame on soemone else.

Originally posted by Police

super_geo = beyond idiotic

This one's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm) a freebie. Cheers.

Police
04-16-2007, 04:49 PM

This one's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm) a freebie. Cheers.

No No, this is sarcasm:

You were just being an idiot:thumbsdow

stop trying to hide the fact that you just made yourself look like a douche bag.

Super_Geo
04-16-2007, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Police
stop trying to hide the fact that you just made yourself look like a douche bag.

Ok you got me... you're right I actually believed that the Xbox 360 was responsible, but thankfully my anonymous internet guadian angel (ie: you) was there to open my eyes. How could I ever repay you...

TKRIS
04-16-2007, 04:56 PM
Double post...

TKRIS
04-16-2007, 04:58 PM

Ok you got me... you're right I actually believed that the Xbox 360 was responsible, but thankfully my anonymous internet guadian angel (ie: you) was there to open my eyes. How could I ever repay you...

Disoblige
04-16-2007, 05:08 PM
It pisses me off even more because I see Jack Thompson currently on the news blaming the whole thing on video games. WTF. :thumbsdow

msommers
04-16-2007, 05:11 PM
Am I the only person who is quite confused on how something of such serious nature was originally publicized by email to students?! Like don't they have a fucking intercom or phones like jesus christ.

Example: Student writing exam at 8:00am is supposed to know through email that "hey look out there is a killer on the loose in the school"

im2fst4u
04-16-2007, 05:14 PM
My condolences to all the families! Very little is known so far but I can't wait to hear the outcome on this one! Did the suspect kill himself or was he shot by authorities?

:thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

01RedDX
04-16-2007, 05:27 PM

BigDannyCool
04-16-2007, 05:30 PM
The size of Virginia Tech is huge. It's like a small town. there's over 25, 000 full time students there. 100 buildings, 2600 acres, and they've got their own airport. So for them to get everyone out would be impossible. They were better off in their classrooms.

RickDaTuner
04-16-2007, 05:35 PM
My prayers are with the Families who have lost some one as a result of this tragedy

Euro///Tuned
04-16-2007, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by msommers
Am I the only person who is quite confused on how something of such serious nature was originally publicized by email to students?! Like don't they have a fucking intercom or phones like jesus christ.

Its a University Campus! Intercom?????? Are you for real?

Such a sickening event.

BerserkerCatSplat
04-16-2007, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige
It pisses me off even more because I see Jack Thompson currently on the news blaming the whole thing on video games. WTF. :thumbsdow

Gee, that didn't take him long. You'd almost think he's done this before or something.

treg50
04-16-2007, 06:28 PM
What's fucked:

7:15 A.M. approx. - a shooting incident occurs; 2 people killed.

9:20 A.M. approx - 2nd shooting happens; 33 people killed.

Students and faculty were NOT alerted about the 7:15 shooting! That's the kind of PA announcement I would want hear about so I can vacate the damned campus! Money grubbing schools! Holy hell if they'd have to postpone exams for a few hours or days and stay open a little longer.

They believe the shooter is not the same for both incidents.

creeper
04-16-2007, 07:09 PM
Terrible.

LuxCars
04-16-2007, 07:15 PM
this story got my heart pounding hard when i read about it in the online Calgary herald. I'm at UofC right now trying to study but im finding it very hard to do so.

Im just shocked by how police was on campus investigating the first shooting, and didnt even bother to call for extra help to secure the rest of campus.

they had 2 hours. and theres no way the president of that school could of thought that all the students (who were on their way to school) could of checked their email while they are getting to school.

My deepest condolences to every one affected by this horrible act.

carter_prelude
04-16-2007, 07:36 PM
ugh..who ever posted that video has very little taste, at the end you cna hear a man SCREAMING... :cry: R.I.P.

Gondi Stylez
04-16-2007, 08:01 PM
RIP to all the victims and my deepest condolences to the victims :(

Skyline_Addict
04-16-2007, 08:19 PM
sigh. i believe that the "mishandling" of this situation by the campus and the police probably arised from their unexpectedeness of the situation. no matter how much you can prepare for something like this, when it actually happens it's difficult to manage.

either way, it's very unfortunate that lives could've been saved from faster and more efficient action.

you really can't excuse the gunman being able to walk around campus for TWO HOURS without any action being taken!

Sharpie
04-16-2007, 08:47 PM
Honestly who the fuck shoots up a school? Dude was probably on vampire freaks:rolleyes:

R.I.P to all the people that were killed.

Redlyne_mr2
04-16-2007, 08:55 PM
If dude is going to go nuts and shoot someone why not go out with a bang and go after Bush..why kill those who contribute to society???

boi-alien
04-16-2007, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Sharpie
Honestly who the fuck shoots up a school? Dude was probably on vampire freaks:rolleyes:
It's comments and mentalities like this that perpetuate these incidents. These "freaks" as you so eloquently put already have low self esteem. It's stereotypes and comments as yours that trigger such horrific events.

Sharpie
04-16-2007, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by boi-alien

It's comments and mentalities like this that perpetuate these incidents. These "freaks" as you so eloquently put already have low self esteem. It's stereotypes and comments as yours that trigger such horrific events.
http://www.vampirefreaks.com/
Shit son you on there too?

silver_gs-R
04-16-2007, 09:14 PM
wow this is absolutely terrible.

what is this world coming to.

LuxCars
04-16-2007, 09:27 PM
I hate to bring this up but i just thought it would be a good time to mention it.

Many of you sit there and say, " what is this world coming to", "what horrible people" "what a horrible incident"

i agree with all of you, but its time to start taking a look at ourselves.

How many times have we insulted others?
how many times have you put someone else down because you feel they are inferior to you?
how many time have you sided with someone because you are afraid of the consequences of being mocked for standing up to what is right?
how many times have you littered, vandalized, or indirectly caused pain or grievances to someone else because of selfishness?

Its time to stop pointing fingers at other people and say that they are making mistakes when we ourselves are making so many mistakes on our own. Our mistakes may seem minor compared to this, but they build up, and who knows if your comment or action was the "straw that broke that camels back".

Now i'm guessing there are many of you who are gonna read this and flame because you want someone to quote you and laugh, but honestly take a second to think about it and start making a difference. I dont wanna come off all "preachy" and such, but if it starts with you, it will slowly spread and more people will start acting better.

as an example, my friend was brought up very respectfully; always say please, thank you, opening doors for others, helping out and all that stuff, but he still parties, has fun and is one of the greatest people youll meet. His actions have slowly rubbed off on me because ive started to notice them; now ive been opening doors and holding them for others, ive become more polite, less aggressive and more helpful when i can.

It devastates me to hear such things happening to people around the world. Many of whom are innocent and do not deserve the least bit of pain.

Ill be praying for everyone affected and for all other students to be able to continue their studies during finals.

in*10*se
04-16-2007, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by LuxCars
I hate to bring this up but i just thought it would be a good time to mention it.

Many of you sit there and say, " what is this world coming to", "what horrible people" "what a horrible incident"

i agree with all of you, but its time to start taking a look at ourselves.

how many times have you put someone else down because you feel they are inferior to you?
how many time have you sided with someone because you are afraid of the consequences of being mocked for standing up to what is right?
how many times have you littered, vandalized, or indirectly caused pain or grievances to someone else because of selfishness?

Its time to stop pointing fingers at other people and say that they are making mistakes when we ourselves are making so many mistakes on our own. Our mistakes may seem minor compared to this, but they build up, and who knows if your comment or action was the "straw that broke that camels back".

Now i'm guessing there are many of you who are gonna read this and flame because you want someone to quote you and laugh, but honestly take a second to think about it and start making a difference. I dont wanna come off all "preachy" and such, but if it starts with you, it will slowly spread and more people will start acting better.

as an example, my friend was brought up very respectfully; always say please, thank you, opening doors for others, helping out and all that stuff, but he still parties, has fun and is one of the greatest people youll meet. His actions have slowly rubbed off on me because ive started to notice them; now ive been opening doors and holding them for others, ive become more polite, less aggressive and more helpful when i can.

It devastates me to hear such things happening to people around the world. Many of whom are innocent and do not deserve the least bit of pain.

Ill be praying for everyone affected and for all other students to be able to continue their studies during finals.

co-sign

RIP

DayGlow
04-16-2007, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Skyline_Addict
sigh. i believe that the "mishandling" of this situation by the campus and the police probably arised from their unexpectedeness of the situation. no matter how much you can prepare for something like this, when it actually happens it's difficult to manage.

either way, it's very unfortunate that lives could've been saved from faster and more efficient action.

you really can't excuse the gunman being able to walk around campus for TWO HOURS without any action being taken!

I don't know if it's a mishandling yet. If the information is correct so far, they get a shooting at a dorm where a BF kills GF and someone else present. That does not equal active shooter on a campus, it has the makings of a tragic domestic situation. It happens all too often and the it's not part of the MO of a domestic killing to move on to a campus shooting. Most likely the scene was contained and if they had info that the BF is responsible they are looking hard for him. Who knows where he went? You would expect as far away from the scene as possible.

Then the unthinkable happenned. How do you plan, expect, anticipate this?

Skyline_Addict
04-16-2007, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by DayGlow

I don't know if it's a mishandling yet. If the information is correct so far, they get a shooting at a dorm where a BF kills GF and someone else present. That does not equal active shooter on a campus, it has the makings of a tragic domestic situation. It happens all too often and the it's not part of the MO of a domestic killing to move on to a campus shooting. Most likely the scene was contained and if they had info that the BF is responsible they are looking hard for him. Who knows where he went? You would expect as far away from the scene as possible.

I agree with all of your points. That's why I put "mishandling" in quotation, as I made this post based on the information that was available at the time and how the situation was generally being perceived.

There's still so much we don't know and may never know.

Either way, it's still very sad.

BerserkerCatSplat
04-17-2007, 12:11 AM

Its time to stop pointing fingers at other people and say that they are making mistakes when we ourselves are making so many mistakes on our own.

I agree that it's important to be a good person, yes. But it's equally important to be able to take the negative shit and live on. I've put up with a ton of bullshit in my life, do you see me shooting up a school?

No, some people are just crazy.

Hakkola
04-17-2007, 12:58 AM
... So if I call you a fag it is o.k. for you to go shoot up MRC or UofC? It's not that you're a horrible person, just people like Hakkola calling you a bitch and you can't handle the pressure. It's a sad story, the real victim is the guy who killed 30 people...

Some people are just fucked in the head.

P.S. I'm not calling you a fag or a bitch, that wouldn't be nice. If I ever see you on the street I'll be sure to hold the door open. ;)

H4LFY2nR
04-17-2007, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by DayGlow

It would be unlikey that the killer in a domestic violence case would stay on campus, but shouldn't the students and faculty be notified and the campus locked down if the killer was still missing? Wouldn't the police at least begin their search for the killer in the first murders by searching the campus? I mean they knew somebody capable of murder had a gun and was moving around freely.

banned3x
04-17-2007, 01:22 AM
r.i.p.

sputnik
04-17-2007, 08:56 AM
The killer has been identified as Cho Seung-hui (23) who was a Korean foreign student attending Virginia Tech.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=3048108

DayGlow
04-17-2007, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by H4LFY2nR

It would be unlikey that the killer in a domestic violence case would stay on campus, but shouldn't the students and faculty be notified and the campus locked down if the killer was still missing? Wouldn't the police at least begin their search for the killer in the first murders by searching the campus? I mean they knew somebody capable of murder had a gun and was moving around freely.

agreed a lot of questions need to be answered and the process needs to be reviewed. Who knows, maybe witnesses have the killer getting into a car afterwards, etc.

It's very hard to what-if after an unimaginable situation. Does that mean the police should lock down everything everywhere after every murder? We and the Americans have society based on individual rights and for the government to restrict mobility of 10s of thousands of people is a huge thing. If large areas get locked down and movement restricted every time a crime happens is not possible in a free country.

Also the idea of searching for a single person in such a large area would be monumental. Like I said, the incident needs to be reviewed. Were there multiple calls of a suspicious person that had guns coming in from all over campus, or was it there no indication of the whereabouts of the gunman until after the second shooting started?

I mean try to find 1 person at UofC with no information of where they are, or even if they are on the grounds at all. It's at the top of impossible without more information, let alone a campus that is probably 5x as large like VT.

Xtrema
04-17-2007, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by sputnik
The killer has been identified as Cho Seung-hui (23) who was a Korean foreign student attending Virginia Tech.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=3048108

Sucks for Koreans studying abroad. But if this is a domestic issue, I'm not surprised. South Koreans are known for their temper.

Originally posted by H4LFY2nR

I think it would take the cops more than 2 hrs to know who to look for. On top of that, like you said, it's unlikely killer would stick around. The 2nd shooting is totally unexpected. And you never know what went thru his head for 2 hrs before he decided to do this.

Remember, lock down is tough. We are not talking small fries like U of C or Mount Royal. We are talking about getting the message out to 25000 students and thousands of staff over thousands acres of land. It's virtually a small city, hence it's own police force.

LuxCars
04-17-2007, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

I agree that it's important to be a good person, yes. But it's equally important to be able to take the negative shit and live on. I've put up with a ton of bullshit in my life, do you see me shooting up a school?

No, some people are just crazy.

Yes, that is true, but in your lifetime of "bullshit" how many times have you come close to loosing it, or have gotten so angry and confused about life and why its been so rough?
And thats the thing, some people are not good at just taking in the negative remarks or actions and moving on, and therefore they are forced to react with instinct. some people react harsher than others, and some people are able to control themselves, but there are still those who cant. Now im not saying that the people who cant control themselves will go shoot at people, but they are more likely to have harsher reactions.

So if I call you a fag it is o.k. for you to go shoot up MRC or UofC? It's not that you're a horrible person, just people like Hakkola calling you a bitch and you can't handle the pressure. It's a sad story, the real victim is the guy who killed 30 people...

Some people are just fucked in the head.

P.S. I'm not calling you a fag or a bitch, that wouldn't be nice. If I ever see you on the street I'll be sure to hold the door open. ;)

Calling me a fag or a bitch or anything like that will not make me go shoot up a school, but having thousands of people around me laughing at me, insulting me, abusing me and ignoring me for extended periods of time may cause me to go insane and just loose it. When this happens to you you start to question why its so hard to live, and why other people are so mean. You start to think so much that you become "mentally unstable" for say, and become less likely to be able to hold down the insults and move on. Its tragic.
But if your able to help by simply not hurting others and doing nicer things for people, it would really make a difference and, like i said before, others will notice it and start making a difference too.

nos_efx
04-17-2007, 10:58 AM
thousands of people? i highly doubt it was this number, in all likely hood it was probably a handful of people.

we've all encountered situatioins where we've been picked on, but to take it to this extent is simply retarded.... get on with your life..... his parents or whoever his legal guardians are did not do a thorough job in preparing this person for the bumps in life....

Calling me a fag or a bitch or anything like that will not make me go shoot up a school, but having thousands of people around me laughing at me, insulting me, abusing me and ignoring me for extended periods of time may cause me to go insane and just loose it. When this happens to you you start to question why its so hard to live, and why other people are so mean. You start to think so much that you become "mentally unstable" for say, and become less likely to be able to hold down the insults and move on. Its tragic.
But if your able to help by simply not hurting others and doing nicer things for people, it would really make a difference and, like i said before, others will notice it and start making a difference too.

Xtrema
04-17-2007, 11:14 AM
A 23-year-old senior from South Korea whose creative writing was so disturbing that he was referred to the school’s counseling service was behind the massacre of at least 30 people locked inside a university classroom building in the deadliest shooting rampage in modern U.S. history, the university said Tuesday.

Sounds like typical wacko. No law or good will can prevent this.