PDA

View Full Version : What do I need for spring / camber kit install D.I.Y.?

Mar
04-16-2007, 02:36 PM
I have a real good writeup from civicforums.com on how it's done but the only things I don't have that they mention are a torque wrench, spring compressor, air gun and jack. For some reason my car has no jack.

Now, I was thinking of going to Canadian Tire and picking up one of those cheap pump jacks for $50 or so. But would I be better renting or buying a torque wrench? Are they cheap? And where can I get a spring compressor and an air gun? Think I can put a pipe on the socket wrench instead of using an air gun? Do any place rent them?

mikey_mo_love
04-16-2007, 02:46 PM
be sure to grab two jack stands as well

97'Scort
04-16-2007, 04:36 PM
Proper, adjustable torque wrench = $150 and up. That's a CHEAP one. VERY cheap. Go with Snap-on it's more like $600. If you can find somewhere to rent one, I'd go that route, unless your car is like mine and every freaking bolt has a specified torque.

ryder_23
04-16-2007, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by 97'Scort
Proper, adjustable torque wrench = $150 and up. That's a CHEAP one. VERY cheap. Go with Snap-on it's more like $600. If you can find somewhere to rent one, I'd go that route, unless your car is like mine and every freaking bolt has a specified torque.

Every freaking bolt has a specified torque :rofl:

You wont need an air gun, that just makes life easy, all of my installs i've done with hand tools, including my motor swap, suspension (switched like 8 times), etc..Buy a decent torque wrench, best investment you will ever buy.

Mar
04-16-2007, 05:38 PM
Okay, so...

air gun - forget about it
torque wrench - rent one at Home Depot
spring compressor - no idea
jack - buy one for $50 because I need one anyway

ryder_23
04-16-2007, 05:39 PM
Spring compressor u can rent from partsource, autovalue (i think), most part places.

Mar
04-16-2007, 05:58 PM
I guess I'll find out soon enough, but anyone know now what the cost is for a part like this for 2 days?

ryder_23
04-16-2007, 05:59 PM
renting from those places is free, u just put deposit down on it...u get it for like 3-5days

djayz
04-16-2007, 06:11 PM
princess auto has spring compressors and torque wrenches
People say the torque wrenches are cheap and not good but if you take good care of it im sure it will last and work the same as any other one.

Mar
04-16-2007, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by ryder_23
renting from those places is free, u just put deposit down on it...u get it for like 3-5days
Wow, never knew that. I'll go to Home Depot tomorrow and see what they have. I saw a tool rental section when I was there yesterday.

HiSpec
04-17-2007, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by djayz
princess auto has spring compressors and torque wrenches
People say the torque wrenches are cheap and not good but if you take good care of it im sure it will last and work the same as any other one.

doesn't all torque wrench require annual caliberation??

djayz
04-17-2007, 02:46 AM
not annual but after your use it a certain amount of times your supposed to calibrate it and lube it up.

I only use my torque wrench when dealing with engine components which require precision torque...like valve springs. With shocks and springs you can use an airgun or hand tighten it with a torque bar.

Mar
04-18-2007, 02:27 AM
So I rented a spring compressor and didn't even use it. I just stood on the spring as I loosened the nut on top and it didn't pop apart that much. Then when putting the new springs on, I pushed down with one hand and put the nut on with the other, it was easy.

As for the torque wrench, I didn't find one for rent. Instead, I just guessed as I was putting stuff back together. I know for the bolts holding the strut assembly to the control arm (that right?) I needed all the muscle I had so I did the same when putting it back on. Easy enough. The others were just tight.

The jack, I picked up a 2 ton floor jack for $30 and also 2 jack stands for $30. I really wanted to get the little rolling chair for $40 but didn't want to spend the money. It would have made things a lot easier though, better to sit on that than kneel on the ground.

And lastly, the air gun isn't needed, just makes things easier. Like I said, it was near impossible to get some of the bolts off but I got it after using two hands and pressing with my feet.

Got the fronts done, just need to do the rears this afternoon.

blueripper6
04-18-2007, 03:33 AM
I just stood on the spring as I loosened the nut
danger will robinson danger
soooo stupid. your lucky...

djayz
04-18-2007, 04:35 AM
use a long pipe and put it on the wrench your loosening the bolts with...itll feel like your losening a bolt put on my a 5 year old :rofl:

and yes its quite dangerous to stand on the springs while losening the nut....For safety I would pay the price of $8 at princess auto for a spring compressor, youll only need one.

edicius
04-20-2007, 12:58 AM
using only one spring compressor is stupid too, sorry. Loading the one side of the spring....is worse then standing on it in my opinion. Think of how much stored energy is there, and if the spring compressor slips off and takes your arm off then you'll wish you spent another 8 bucks on a second one...especially after considering a 40 dollar chair.

Plus to compress the spring enough you have to tighten it down so much, and then you can make the spring useless because you compressed it too far an went past the elastic limit of the spring.

But anyway, to Mar. Good job getting it done, if you didn't use a torque wrench then thats your risk. Check your bolts after a couple days of driving just to make sure nothing has backed off, especially things like ball joints and tie rod ends which have a tapered bolt on them.

Mar
04-20-2007, 01:21 AM
Ya, just got the rears done today with the camber kit. NOW I wish I had an air gun, that was horrible. The control arm wasn't torqued on tight at all but the strut assembly.....damn. When tightening I just pulled until I couldn't pull anymore. I guess I'll check it after the weekend to see what happens, or maybe ask the shop to give it a going over when doing the alignment.