PDA

View Full Version : need engine rebuilding advice

2000impreza
07-23-2002, 12:45 PM
if there is a light scrach or scruff on the cylinder wall would it be better to bore it out and get over sized pistons or just leave it? i'm worried if i leave it, it might burn oil in the future.

redline
07-23-2002, 01:04 PM
depanding on how light it is, it might come out with a standard hone, that you should do when rebuilding the engine. If it is deeper then what a hone will take out you must bore or sleeve the hole/block. If you do not the car will burn oil and or need to be rebuilt again fast...

5.9 R/T
07-23-2002, 01:20 PM
Anything that disrupts the cross-hatching of a cylinder wall will impede the piston rings ability to seal properly against the wall. If it's just a light scratch it can probably be honed out without to much difficulty or cost. If your truely after doing some internal work I would look at a stroker kit instead. It will add more tq into the bottom end of the power band where 4cyls typically are most lacking.

My 0.02 cents.

2000impreza
07-23-2002, 02:02 PM
should i take the engine to a shop first and have them hone out the walls before i get pistons? someone told me to get it honed out to 100mm from the stock bore of 99.5mm.

a stroker kit would be nice but i don't think they make one for the engine i'm rebuilding. i think some stronger rods and pistons should be good for me :burnout:

legendboy
07-23-2002, 02:20 PM
Take your block to Superior, Jim, the machinest, is very-very-very good. A little bit expensive but u pay for the top quality.

redline
07-23-2002, 02:26 PM
depanding on who you talk to you, they say you should always bore when rebuilding but a hone is a must and if you are getting piston you need the pistons so that the machine shop can make sure that proper tolerances are followed for the engine.

2000impreza
07-23-2002, 02:55 PM
so i should get the pistons/rings/rods...etc first and then take everything to the shop?

i'm still asking around to see which shop would be best to rebuild a subaru boxer engine. a friend told me allmakes can rebuild the engine for me??? so superior does good engine rebuilding?? i don't mind paying a little extra. i want it done right.

5.9 R/T
07-24-2002, 06:10 PM
I'm assuming that you are rebuilding your impreza engine so why not ask the subie dealership who they recommend? I would talk to your rebuilder before you buy anything and see what they recommend. I'm sure theres a stroker kit out for your motor, just check around a little. Not only will you get a nice displacement increase which = more tq, but if you plan on going turbo it will vastly improve spool time. Again, just my 0.02 cents.

ls/vtec-crx
07-24-2002, 06:16 PM
if your getting new pistons, you might as well do a 5 thou over bore. you can also take it reliable, they do some pretty good work. i have some friends that had blocks done there and they did a really good job.

5.9 R/T
07-24-2002, 08:02 PM
I would recommend reliable as well. They've done some head work for me in the past and did a damn good job of it too. They know their shit.

2000impreza
07-24-2002, 10:01 PM
thanks for all the suggestions. i'll talk to subaru of calgary and see what they recommend for engine builders.

i still don't know if i will go stroker kit or not. 2.5L has enough torque for me. i'm aready worried about other parts breaking as it is aready :confused: .

the block i'm rebuilding actually came out of a friends car. he blew a piston. so my plan is to rebuild the block. maybe swap it sometime in the future. my biggest problem is finding someone that is qualified to do the the work. i've had really bad experence with people that "know what they are doing" but fuck up something then put the blame on me...:madred: