PDA

View Full Version : want to be an apprentice electrician

aznchukar
04-16-2007, 04:32 PM
anyone has any info?? is it easy for get a job to be an apprentice without previous experience?? any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The Cosworth
04-16-2007, 04:33 PM
you need to have a company indenture you with the union, which can be hard.

Call around some places and just ask if they are taking first year apprentices.

Or you can go to sait, take all the school then go and get your hours

ken-gsr
04-16-2007, 05:04 PM
I would seriously look in the Yellow pages for electrical companys and give them a call. Do you know how hurt companys are right now for work? I guarentee you that any on the larger ones (Amelco, Northern Elec. etc.) will hire you. Or you could call the Electrical Union (also in yellow pages) and find out info from them.
Good luck, awesome job to get into right now - and you will make ass loads of money!

msommers
04-16-2007, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by aznchukar
anyone has any info?? is it easy for get a job to be an apprentice without previous experience?? any advice would be greatly appreciated.

It's super easy to get into and you don't need previous experience.

Are wanting to stay in town or make big bucks but work out of town?

My advice, stay out residential if you can and stick to either commercial or industrial.

For out of town work I would contact: Flint or Pyramid Corporation.

By far the easiest companies to get into. But it really depends on who is running the job at the site, it can make the biggest differences in the world.

aznchukar
04-20-2007, 10:38 AM
thank you, thank you very much for all reply.
i faxed my resume to like at least 8 companys, but none of them call me back. well....should i call them and ask them after a few days??
like saying, my name is such...i just faxed my resume a few days ago, i'm just wondering if you guys would have any open spots for apprenticeship??

that sounds good??

Perfect Dark
04-20-2007, 11:03 AM
It used to be pretty tough to get into the trade if you were totally inexperienced...I don't know how much that has changed though.

I would keep on them with phone calls...it shows persistance and determination. Don't get too discouraged if you don't hear anything from some companies...there is work out there, you just need to get in and then you are set.

Sophal
04-20-2007, 11:26 AM
Apply with the union. IBEW (International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers). I'm not sure if you can join since you're not an apprentice yet. nor do i know how it really works. seeing that i'm not an electrician but rather a power lineman. but there are lots of great people there that can point you in the right direction. with jobs and how you can get started and all that other good stuff. good luck man. Oh yeah great choice on that career path. electrical trade is the best trade.

IBEW Local 424
3623 - 29th Street NE.

Phone: (403) 717-0322
Fax: (403) 717-0326
Jobline: (403) 717-0324

kerry
04-20-2007, 11:26 AM
http://www.sait.ca/pages/cometosait/preemployment/electrician.shtml

This got my friend a job with York in Refridgeration. Helps a lot if you have no experience.

Try checking that out!

aznchukar
04-27-2007, 10:41 AM
Thank you very much those people that reply to my response.
I have just got in "custom electric" as an apprentice.
i will be working with a journeyman from now on.
boy....i have to say, it's very hard to get in unless it's a big company. i feel a bit lucky and good about it. timing is very important too.
wish those who are looking for a job or career luck.

HuMz
04-27-2007, 05:43 PM
Congrats, im working for the same company.... which site are you starting off on?