PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a mechanic

KK07
04-16-2007, 08:01 PM
Hey guys, so I got up this morning and there was a big pool of coolant under my car (97 grand am). Now, its always had a very slow leak (requires topping off maybe every month or so) but I just topped it off a few weeks ago so that big pool this morning was pretty random. I ended up filling it up again and going to school, as I was leaving school I saw some more coolant under, not a whole lot but some more had leaked and within a couple of hours, it's all gone.

Now, I'm not very good with cars but does this sound like a hose or something? I did a search and someone had listed off a bunch of reasons why coolant could be leaking and when I looked under the hood, I couldn't really see anything out of place. Also, can anyone recommend a decent place in the NE or around there that I can take the car to? I went to Blaskin & Lane or whatever last time I needed my car serviced but when I asked how much they would charge for work the guy said something like $105/hr which completely shocked me since that shop in my old town charged $55/hr. Is $100/hr the going rate in Calgary for shops? I'm on my student budget for another few weeks so I don't have a whole lot to spend right now.

I know there was a thread about mechanics a while back but when I searched "mechanics", I didn't see the thread again after going through 15 pages. Sorry about all of the reading, I just want to get my car fixed haha. Also, anybody on Beyond looking to make some extra money if this looks like an easy fix? Let me know, thanks!

KK07
04-16-2007, 08:02 PM
Oh, and it looks like its leaking on the passenger side/center of the car if that helps at all.

Weapon_R
04-16-2007, 08:04 PM
$100/hr is about the going rate for shops around calgary, give or take.

As for your problems, it can be a variety of things but it seems to either be a leaky hose, radiator, or something else. Without seeing the car it may be hard to diagnose.