PDA

View Full Version : new thing for my sunbird

boosted999
04-16-2007, 10:21 PM
Yo what do u think about puting my turbo in the back of the car?
I think that it would be some thing to see. just want to know what everbody thinks of that. SLEEPER ON THE REAL.:) :) :clap:

Supa Dexta
04-16-2007, 10:25 PM
I like it!

:thumbsup:

LilDrunkenSmurf
04-16-2007, 10:37 PM
That would be sick to see, but a bitch to do, I'm not well versed in F/I, but I assume you would lose a lot of the power you'd be set to gain by having that much piping.

Hoey
04-16-2007, 10:39 PM
Youd gain power but lose response.

Dont do it, way to much work for nothing, a "fast" turbo sunbird is sleeper enough.

Ekliptix
04-16-2007, 11:13 PM
Why would there be poor response. It doesn't take long to fill up a tube of air compared to how fast the engine takes it in.

Personally I think it's a waste on a Sunbird, but it sure sounds killer here: http://videos.streetfire.net/search/sts/1/d40b088b-d152-48d1-bb36-9880000d8976.htm

SNAATCH
04-16-2007, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by Ekliptix
Why would there be poor response. It doesn't take long to fill up a tube of air compared to how fast the engine takes it in.

Personally I think it's a waste on a Sunbird, but it sure sounds killer here: http://videos.streetfire.net/search/sts/1/d40b088b-d152-48d1-bb36-9880000d8976.htm

lol to bad thats nothing close to a sunbird and would sound nothing like that

Hoey
04-16-2007, 11:23 PM
Its not just charging the pipes, its the exhaust lag aswell.

Turbo's work on exhaust pressure and heat expansion. It would take a lot of time for a 4 banger to fill 5 feet of pipe just to get the turbine spooling, a small manifold stays hot therefore, the exhaust would stay hotter and expand increasing the pressure in the manifold. The long exhaust would significantly cool the exhaust reducing the pressure. Then you still have to charge the intake.

Too much money, not enough payback. I wouldnt, even between shifts would be bad. even a small turbo would be dumb because it wouldnt have the balls to fill everything when the engine is at high RPM. If you do it, expect a horrible power-band.

A corvette is totally different....Do you see room for 1-2 turbo's under the hood of a vette?

Ekliptix
04-16-2007, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Hoey
Its not just charging the pipes, its the exhaust lag aswell.

Turbo's work on exhaust pressure and heat expansion. It would take a lot of time for a 4 banger to fill 5 feet of pipe just to get the turbine spooling, a small manifold stays hot therefore, the exhaust would stay hotter and expand increasing the pressure in the manifold. The long exhaust would significantly cool the exhaust reducing the pressure. Then you still have to charge the intake.

Too much money, not enough payback.

A corvette is totally different....Do you see room for 1-2 turbo's under the hood of a vette?
What you say makes sense about the pressure drop from the engine exhaust ports to the turbo. The same scf/s of air would be reaching the turbos but it'd be cooler, slower, and more dense. Since I imagine the friction and velocity of air in to the turbo impeller are more important then simply standardized gas volume rates, there'd be no advantage to having the exhaust gas cooled on it's way to the turbo.....Except that an intercooler wouldn't be requires as the compressed charge gas would have not been heated up as much by the turbo.

single and twin turbos can and do fit in corvette engines.

Hoey
04-16-2007, 11:42 PM
Exactly, there is no advantage to cooler exhaust...
Im not too sure about friction on the impeller but even the reduced velocity I imagine would have dramatically worse results. I would also bet an Intercooler would still be required regardless of the amount of time the air would get to cool itself, Its still ultimately under pressure be 5psi or 20.

I presume you would have issues with turbo oil starvation. Plus plumbing the oil feed+return would suck. So I would get used to rebuilding turbo's:thumbsup:

EDIT*
Have you seen TT setups under the hood before?(im not being sarcastic, I'd actually like to know)

One of the guys at work has a supercharged C5 Vette and that barely fits! Granted there are a lot of useless plastic shields under the hood to make it look cool.

Eleanor
04-17-2007, 10:09 AM
http://www.z06-corvette.com/super/corvette-lingenfelter-08.jpg

Mitsu3000gt
04-17-2007, 10:34 AM
I would put the money into a new car.

boosted999
04-17-2007, 11:06 AM
I think if i dont go with the larger pipein that would help more then if i went with the larger.
what do u think?
wouldn't that put more pressure to the turbo and help with the lag?
thanks.

Toms-SC
04-17-2007, 12:50 PM
notreadingallthatshitbyyou.jpg

Ekliptix
04-17-2007, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by boosted999
I think if i dont go with the larger pipein that would help more then if i went with the larger.
what do u think?
wouldn't that put more pressure to the turbo and help with the lag?
thanks.
Are you serious about doing this? How much $ do you plan to spend? I'm 95% sure you'd be spending more on the turbo kit then your car itself is worth and it still would not be very fast.

Hoey
04-17-2007, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor
http://www.z06-corvette.com/super/corvette-lingenfelter-08.jpg

lol, theres no turbo's visible there, just cause the engine cover says twin turbo doesnt count. Pretty sure Lingenfelter has rear mounted twins.

+1 for everyone saying dont do it.
Its not worth it man, overall you wouldnt gain anything. Nothing.