PDA

View Full Version : 172 dollar ticket! easy to fight?

xcelr8
04-17-2007, 12:30 AM
So today I was driving up the side streets on 36 st s.e. and (unknown) a few blocks down from 17th ave. I pull up to the stop sign, not a 4 way stop, but only one on my side and the opposite. Okay, so when i come to this stop sign, this is what i see. http://img444.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img00233am8.jpg
Looks like a normal stop? no? Well that is the centre of the street. To the right of me is this stop sign
http://img444.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img00237on6.jpg
Alright, so everything looks normal. I wait for a break in traffic, and then go through the intersection. BAM a cop walks in front of me a writes me a 172 dollar ticket for not obeying the sign. I am like wtf? what sign i stopped i didnt speed, and he says the sign that says you cannot go straight through.
This is what THAT sign looks like on the opposite side of the street from my attached to the other stop sign.http://img257.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img00238ht8.jpg
Now shouldn't this be on my side of the street so I can see this with the rest of my signs? I feel like the cop was just taking advantage of this situation to get easy tickets as they know this is a bs spot. In the time i got my ticket written up, he had pulled over at least 5 more people behind me... so obviously this is not something somebody normally notices. Anyways, in court couldn't i say that there was a truck going down the street like a semi or something and i went through when the traffic broke up, but never saw the sign because it was hidden on the other side of the road? ORR on my ticket there is nothing to do with the time that i was pulled over. The sign says 7-18:00, could I not say in court that I was pulled over at 6 15?, 6 30?? Any input is appreciated...

adam c
04-17-2007, 12:33 AM
take more pics, goto court and it will most likely be thrown out

stand further back of the street so u can see the street and full sign and take pics on all angles

xcelr8
04-17-2007, 12:35 AM
ya i am going to go back and do that, these are just cameraphone pics so when i took them and viewed them on the phone it looked liek i wouldnt be able to view the other side of the street. When i put them on the computer, i can see that they are easily viewed. so I will do that. PS do they have to write a time on the ticket?

adam c
04-17-2007, 12:37 AM
usually they do, they have on mine before but considering he gave u a ticket it has to be within that time frame posted on the sign

xcelr8
04-17-2007, 12:42 AM
Well it is supposed to be within this time, but what if he was late on his shift, as in i would be lieing. Honestly though it was about 10 to 6. but couldnt i lie and say 6 30? I dont have to prove that it was within the time frame, they do dont they? and if there is no proof on the ticket, then how does anyone know when it was?

adam c
04-17-2007, 12:44 AM
they will believe the cop over u

xcelr8
04-17-2007, 12:48 AM
but if i was to bullshit and say a car was in front of the sign? what would happen then... would they tell me that i should wait till all traffic is clear to see it or something stupid?

It seems that it should be in clear view at all times from my side of the road, no?

xcelr8
04-17-2007, 12:50 AM
i should go back at night time and spray paint the sign, take a picture of it in the day and be like.... clearly there is grafiti in the way??

ctruo
04-17-2007, 12:51 AM
They will find out by logging in your plate and it will show the time and day that u got pulled over. From what your telling me you can definitely fight this ticket. Just make sure u don't use the time frame as a defense. Good luck!

xcelr8
04-17-2007, 12:55 AM
thank you very much for your advise ctruo! i never knew they had it on record when you were pulled over

ercchry
04-17-2007, 12:58 AM
yeah the cop will write notes on the back of his copy of the ticket and that will probably include the time you were pulled over at

also in my experiance with the legal system and traffic tickets you dont have to say anything and they will lower the fine every time

xcelr8
04-17-2007, 01:02 AM
if it were at 40 dollar ticket or something i wouldnt care, but 172 is just nuts!

FiveFreshFish
04-17-2007, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by xcelr8
Now shouldn't this be on my side of the street so I can see this with the rest of my signs?

That sign can be on either the near side or the far side of the intersection.

The next time you drive downtown, notice that most turn and lane control signs are on the far side. Stop and yield signs are always on the near side.

xcelr8
04-17-2007, 01:19 AM
That is correct, but downtown they are also high up on the lights. this one is just above the top of a standard stop sign post, making it not very high up, and my view of it can easily be blocked if a truck drives in front of it. That would be like placing a stop sign on the other side of the road, and when a car drives past it i cant see it so i drive out into traffic.

Mr*DetoX
04-17-2007, 02:09 AM
damn it i got a itcket here n just payed it

DayGlow
04-17-2007, 09:13 AM
what a whinny little bitch. Spray paint over the sign? How are you old enough to drive?

Guess what, part of the officers notes will be what time he pulled you over, the condition of the sign at the time he pulled you over, etc.

Also if a truck is blocking your view of the sign, unless you are intending to drive into the side of the truck, it's blocking the intersection for you as well.

Driving is a responsibility, not a right. And part of this responsibility is being aware of your sourroundings. Driving is not a mundane thing as you have the very real potential to cause harm to others. I think a lot of people out there do not grasp this. There are consiquences for not paying attention. A $172 ticket is much better than hitting someone because you take driving for granted.

Crymson
04-18-2007, 03:26 PM
If there was no sign facing you, then go take pics and fight your tickets. If what was on your side of the street, was exactly duplicated on the other side, then you clearly disobeyed traffic signs.

If there was a sign, on the opposite side of the street, facing you -- then pay your ticket -- but take it to court anyway, because taking it to court is a good way to stubbornly protest all traffic fines, if even to get it slightly reduced. I think we're being overly ticketed, even if we're offenders, so don't pay your ticket to quickly, make it eat up enough of somones wage, that you feel they've earned it. Help to make minor traffic offences unprofitable for the city and province.

dooman24
04-18-2007, 03:42 PM
HAHA i got the exact same ticket at the exact same spot about 2 years ago! i stopped and went through without seeing that sign.. cop stopped me and took my insurance/registration and license.. in the 5 min i sat there waiting for him, his partner pulled atleast another 5... crazy money there...

SilverGS
04-18-2007, 04:26 PM
So is the sign there facing the wrong way or is there another identical sign across the road that is facing you?

xcelr8
04-21-2007, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by dooman24
HAHA i got the exact same ticket at the exact same spot about 2 years ago! i stopped and went through without seeing that sign.. cop stopped me and took my insurance/registration and license.. in the 5 min i sat there waiting for him, his partner pulled atleast another 5... crazy money there...

I know! i was the first one in line to get pulled over. There was just one cop there, and before i could ask him what i did wrong he was pulling over another car, then another, then another. Once he got them all pulled over he came back to me handed the ticket to me, and then started moving down the line...

Police
04-21-2007, 11:42 PM
Normally we don't "bullshit" in court, thats lying.

modded46
04-22-2007, 11:48 AM
Man those cop quotas must be high this month.

sCream
04-22-2007, 11:53 AM
off topic... but what kinda phone is that? nice pics!! lol

GOnSHO
04-22-2007, 12:06 PM
HAAH!! that sign has got EVERYONE i know... my bro tried to fight it... didnt work!!! shitty timing... i hate that fucking sign...

good luck wiht fighting it. but it might be hard... it is posted right in front of u at the stop sign...

Tik-Tok
04-22-2007, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by xcelr8

Now shouldn't this be on my side of the street so I can see this with the rest of my signs?

By this theory, all light signals should also be on your side of the street :nut:

Khyron
04-22-2007, 12:42 PM
Yah we'd need a wider shot that captures your whole view of all 3 signs.

xcelr8
04-23-2007, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by sCream
off topic... but what kinda phone is that? nice pics!! lol

they are from a blackberry pearl.

xcelr8
04-23-2007, 07:26 PM
when i go back to the spot i will take some more pics.