PDA

View Full Version : Stopping Slipping Belts

JRSC00LUDE
04-17-2007, 10:15 PM
The short supercharger drive belt on my prelude won't stop slipping now that I put the 9psi pulley on. I've got a brand new gatorback belt and it'll slip no matter how tight you put it at anything past 6300rpm. The squealing isn't nearly as annoying as the drop back to 6psi.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of this? Besides going back to the smaller pulley of course.....

garyb
04-17-2007, 11:01 PM
if you take a regular bar of soap and place it under the belt where it touches the pulley it will stop slipping. might seem kinda ghetto but it worked on my power steering belt

speedracer
04-17-2007, 11:07 PM
Is it the correct belt?

VetteRacin
04-17-2007, 11:15 PM
yes if you changed the pully assuming to a smaller one then chances are you will need a smaller belt to go with it

94SSEi
04-18-2007, 03:06 AM
Could also change to a larger idler pulley if the belt wrap isn't too extreme.

JRSC00LUDE
04-18-2007, 08:04 AM
The boost upgrade pulley on this setup is acutally a bigger pulley than the one removed and yes, the belt is the correct size. You use a manual tensioner to tighten it up.

Problem is it's a very short belt, only about 9-10 inches in length (under a foot anyways).

JRSC00LUDE
04-18-2007, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by 94SSEi
Could also change to a larger idler pulley if the belt wrap isn't too extreme.

Explain further please, any you familiar with the jackson racing setup? Here is a picture of it.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l147/JRSC00LUDE/sc.jpg

You can't see the belt in question but it's between the jackshaft and the blower itself behind that red bracket.

Toms-SC
04-18-2007, 08:41 AM
Fuck that must be a tight fit.

You are finding out the problems with Superchargers, belt slip. If you swear to have the proper belt you have a few remaining options.

Stronger springs in the tensioner, smaller belt, or a larger idler pulley.

Good luck, you may be stuck living with it.

JRSC00LUDE
04-18-2007, 08:46 AM
Toms-SC could you explain which one the idler pulley is?

Toms-SC
04-18-2007, 08:57 AM
You say the belt that is slipping is behind the red bracket? AKA: I can't see it?
Might be worth while to post on a dedicated Prelude site, see if anyone else has had this problem.

JRSC00LUDE
04-18-2007, 09:25 AM
I already have, just thought I'd try the local geniuses too! Thanks.

Edit - is there any detriment to overtighening the belt? Can it cause drag on the charger and be hard on the bearings etc.?

rc2002
04-18-2007, 10:24 AM
Scott, the idler pulley is the one in the middle that doesn't have any grooves in it. Overtightening the belt will put more strain on this pulley. The belt, being so short, moves incredibly fast so the extra strain coupled with the increased heat produced could cause it to snap.

Usually larger pulleys cause less belt slippage problems but for some reason the design of the JRSC makes it otherwise. A couple of things that might help you:

1.) Get a belt with one more rib on it. It will fit, but you might have a hell of a time trying to find the belt.

2.) Use belt dressing. This will shorten the life of the belt but will make it stickier and prevent slipping to some degree.

3.) Don't overtighten it. When I had the JRSC I found that overtightening it actually made it worse.

4.) Make sure it's the short belt and not the long belt that's slipping. It helped when I tightened the main drive belt (the long one). The kit is finicky and you have to make sure you have the proper tensions on both belts.

JRSC00LUDE
04-18-2007, 10:27 AM
^
I knew you'd be weighing in on this, thank you.

Where do you find this belt dressing? Seems people always know what it is but not what it's called or where to buy it.

Toms-SC
04-18-2007, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
^
I knew you'd be weighing in on this, thank you.

Where do you find this belt dressing? Seems people always know what it is but not what it's called or where to buy it.

You can find it at Canadian Tire.

3g4me
04-18-2007, 12:41 PM
I had some serious belt slip issues on my eclipse, i got a belt tensioner and it all went away. I have a Centrifugal SC though so im not sure if it would work on your application.

I got this one.
https://www.rippstore.com/photos/0005gtbts-2T.jpg