PDA

View Full Version : Nut Allergy Question

msommers
04-18-2007, 09:40 PM
I have a question regarding nut allergies, specifically cashews and was hoping that someone knew where to look for more info or if they personally knew.

My field school instructor is asking many questions regarding my cashew allergy. As far as I know, cashews and hazelnuts are in the same family of nuts I believe tree nuts. Would anyone know any other nuts that are "related" to these?

Other question was regarding a cashew tree they have near the house we are using. My only reactions have come with direct digestion of cashews, however my entire body breaks out in hives, not just my hands that I was using to eat it (somehow got in the bakleva). People have eaten cashews in the same room as me but I've never been in close contact with the tree or its pollens. Would this cause problems?

I've already booked an appointment with my doctor as my epi pen needs updating as well but was hoping anyone with a similar situation could share. Thanks.

jdmakkord
04-19-2007, 06:25 AM
Cashews, pistachios, peanuts, walnuts, macadamias etc all fuck me up.

core_upt
04-19-2007, 10:37 AM
I'm in a similar boat - hives from chashews/walnuts/brazil nuts --> those are give the strongest reaction. AFAIK it has to do with the higher oil content in these. I am still allergic to pine nuts and pecans and others too, but not as bod. I have no reaction what so ever to almonds, which have the lowest oil content.

Peanuts are a whole different story as they are not from the nut family. I 'think' I'm allergic to peanuts, but part of me thinks I'm fine with them - its just not worth finding out.

I would think you should be fine with the pollen and such from the tree as it won't contain the oil that supposedly causes the reaction. But in the words of Levar Burton, circa Reading Rainbow: "don't take my word for it"

msommers
04-19-2007, 11:03 AM
Thanks guys. Oddly enough, I can eat peanuts, walnuts and almonds:dunno: Maybe it's the nuts with the really high oil content you were mentioning that causes this. Thanks guys.