PDA

View Full Version : red light camera fines?

asp integra
04-19-2007, 04:23 PM
hey, my sister wa driving into downtown today on bouwtrail by staples where it turns into 9th and she got flashed for the red light, anyone know how much of a fine this is, or if there is any point in fighting it?

JordanAndrew
04-19-2007, 04:28 PM
I think it's something along the lines of $500 or so I've heard. They will send your sister a mail for the ticket. I'm not entirely too sure because I haven't gotten the ticket myself but that's what I've been told. Someone who knows better please feel free to correct me. :dunno:

Tik-Tok
04-19-2007, 05:24 PM
$287 though just because it flashed doesn't mean she's getting a ticket, 2 pics are taken, one when it turns yellow, and one when it turns red, if she was already in the intersection when it turned yellow, she'll be ok.

Vietsta
04-19-2007, 09:06 PM
yep it will be 287 because i just got one. but if shes lucky she won't get one. who knows

JordanAndrew
04-19-2007, 09:13 PM
haha well it's nice to know it's not as much as I thought it was. :rolleyes:

asp integra
04-19-2007, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
$287 though just because it flashed doesn't mean she's getting a ticket, 2 pics are taken, one when it turns yellow, and one when it turns red, if she was already in the intersection when it turned yellow, she'll be ok.

ya from what she told me she was in the intersection when it turned red so i think she will be fine

stabilized
04-20-2007, 09:05 AM
sorry to hear that ur sis was flashed for red light.

the fine isn't going to be cheap.

i understand its about $200-300.

pardip_johal
04-20-2007, 01:22 PM
yeap 287.00 got one about 2 weeks ago :guns:

Speed_69
04-20-2007, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
I believe the 2 flashes are taken one when you enter the intersection and one when you cross another point in the intersection. I've crossed an intersection twice when it was a red light before but i stopped half way in the intersection before the second point where it takes another picture and reversed and i didn't get a ticket. :dunno:

pldupek
04-20-2007, 01:36 PM
shitty

Tik-Tok
04-20-2007, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Speed_69

I believe the 2 flashes are taken one when you enter the intersection and one when you cross another point in the intersection. I've crossed an intersection twice when it was a right light before but i stopped half way in the intersection before the second point where it takes another picture and reversed and i didn't get a ticket. :dunno:

So you're right...

The portable camera is triggered when a vehicle passes a set of ultrasonic sensors. This system is designed to minimize the number of pictures taken when an offence has not occurred. The camera then takes two pictures - one just before the vehicle enters the intersection and a second one as the vehicle proceeds through the intersection. An officer evaluates the pictures to ensure an offence has occurred before issuing a Notice of Offence.

JordanAndrew
04-20-2007, 03:35 PM
Edit: There's no demerits if you only get the 2 flashes, right?

bbcustoms
04-20-2007, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by JordanAndrew
Edit: There's no demerits if you only get the 2 flashes, right?

There is no demerits at all you only get a owner of motor vehicle ticket for the red light cameras
That way in court there is no argument wether you are the driver or not

JordanAndrew
04-20-2007, 04:57 PM
That's what I thought, thanks for clarifying that. :thumbsup:

infamous
04-20-2007, 05:00 PM
so is there anything that a person can do to fight this? or is a person sol?

Supa Dexta
04-20-2007, 05:36 PM
fight what? the fact you went thru a light you shouldn't have?

403Gemini
04-20-2007, 06:39 PM
Come on guys, back on topic.

asp integra, did you say "sister" ? got pics? :bigpimp:

BiG_BoI_LuDe
04-20-2007, 07:02 PM
well my buddy pleaded guilty and talked to the crown. cut the price in half. I got lucky to. me and my cousin ran the yellow. he got the ticket. I still haven't seen mine. he was behind me by a little so I got lucky :P

asp integra
04-21-2007, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by 403Gemini
Come on guys, back on topic.

asp integra, did you say "sister" ? got pics? :bigpimp:

hahaha i did, but no pics, sorry guys!:thumbsup:

Maddog55
04-21-2007, 10:26 AM
I was trying to find the actual law from the Alberta Motor Vehicle act and couldn't find it. I know that in BC and Ontario, opposed to almost everyones common knowledge, that going thru a yellow light IS in fact ILLEGAL:

53(1) 53(1) When, at an intersection, a yellow light is shown by a traffic control signal at the same time as or following the showing of a green light, a person driving a vehicle that is approaching the intersection and facing the yellow light shall stop the vehicle before entering

(a) the marked crosswalk on the near side of the intersection, or

(b) if there is not any marked crosswalk, the intersection,

unless the stopping of that vehicle cannot be made in safety.

(2) When, at a place other than an intersection, a yellow light is shown by a traffic control signal at the same time as or following the showing of a green light, a person driving a vehicle that is approaching the signal shall stop the vehicle before reaching the closer of

(a) the area that is subject to the signal, or

(b) the nearest crosswalk that is in the vicinity of the signal,

unless the stopping of the vehicle cannot be made in safety.

I'm pretty sure that it's the same in Alberta. Even though the red-light cameras are set up to catch just the red light runners, if a cop saw you drive thru a yellow, if you can safely stop, he'd issue you a ticket. You're only excuse would be if it was dangerous to make that stop. ie: if it turned yellow when you were say only 10 feet from the intersection going 50kmh...obviously no time to stop. But I think safe to say all of us pretty much hold onto that as long as it doesn't click red before we hit the crosswalk lines, we'll be okay.