PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on tire PSI problem

bobby_lu
04-20-2007, 08:16 AM
few weeks ago i noticed one tire had gone down to about 12psi...instead of the normal 32psi....so i filled it up and same thing happened in a couple days...then it was fine for a couple weeks....and then it went all the way down again..so im confused, once it could happen...but 2 or 3 times? and if theres a leak shouldnt it just keep leaking....but it goes down and then doesnt for couple weeks :dunno:

havent had a chance to take it down to CT yet

BrknFngrs
04-20-2007, 08:49 AM
i would suggest that you look at all the tread on the tire and see if there is a small nail or screw in it.

This happened to me and the reason it only leaked sometimes is because i happened to have parked directly on it sometimes which applied enough pressure to the nail to stop any air from coming out.

Mitsu3000gt
04-20-2007, 08:52 AM
If you for sure don't have a leak, Take off your tires and clean your rims. Salt and all sorts of other shit get in there and ruin the seal. I've seen this happen on many cars. Any shop will do this for about $100.

bobby_lu
04-20-2007, 08:56 AM
i guess i should just go somewhere and get a leak test...i suppose they will test the valve and seal and everything?

SR240SX
04-20-2007, 09:05 AM
Check for a hole..if you dont find anything..then its the bead thats leaking or the valve stem..just get the rim buffed and bead sealed and that should fix the problem..its not 100$ either..go to kal-tire or any tire store like that and they should have it done for you right away. I work at kal-tire and can garantee its one of those...make sure that if it is a hole its not in the sidewall..or else its un-repairable..

pulse_crx
04-20-2007, 09:51 AM
pay the $20 at CT and just get them,(me) lol, to look at it.

bobby_lu
04-20-2007, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by pulse_crx
pay the $20 at CT and just get them,(me) lol, to look at it.

i called cuz theyre always crazy busy...and they said dont even bother bringing it in right now theres no buddy who can look at it right now

dooman24
04-20-2007, 11:16 AM
i hear Kal Tire does tire repairs for free! even if you didn't purchase the tires there... give them a call..

hussein
04-20-2007, 11:16 AM
Yea, I had a small screw/nail in my tire that sporadically leaked air. Some tires come with a road hazard damage warranty or something so if you do get a puncture you can just go to the shop you got them installed at and they will patch it for you for free?

bobby_lu
04-20-2007, 11:28 AM
i dont really care about the cost...its just annoying on/off...and the tires are only good for another 10-15k anyways so if its too much ill just replace...thanks for the responses

Supa Dexta
04-20-2007, 04:43 PM
I had a leaky valve stem that caused this.. Just depends on which way the tire sits.. Spray some soapy water around the stem and bend it aorund some, then try where the sidewall meets the rim.. etc, see if you can find it blowing bubbles.. Could be a small nail or puncture of some sort that only leaks when parked in certain positions..

TomcoPDR
04-21-2007, 12:56 AM
+1 for spraying soapy water, term is called "slow leak" (cuz it leaks through a long period of time)

Best to remove the tire from the vehicle first. Add some food colouring to the soapy water if you like, makes it easiler to see the bubbles for some people. Spray the entire tire and see where it bubbles.

Or if your parents don't care (or you own your own home), fill ur bathtub with water and use that as a leak tank. (put tire on upright position and rotate it vertically, see where it bubbles)

Originally posted by Supa Dexta
I had a leaky valve stem that caused this.. Just depends on which way the tire sits.. Spray some soapy water around the stem and bend it aorund some, then try where the sidewall meets the rim.. etc, see if you can find it blowing bubbles.. Could be a small nail or puncture of some sort that only leaks when parked in certain positions..

hussein
04-21-2007, 05:06 AM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR

Or if your parents don't care

That's awesome haha.

Supa Dexta
04-21-2007, 07:34 AM
haha... I don't think I could fit my tires in my bathtub, not flat anyways.. Not even my winter steelies...

I have had the rims in there though to clean them in the fall.. haha

bobby_lu
04-22-2007, 02:59 AM
wtf?? who would go through the trouble of taking your rims off and putting it in a bathtub....lol...i think ill just go to the tire shop when i get a chance.... i dont have THaT much time on my hands :nut:

mekeni
04-22-2007, 09:41 AM
walmart does that for cheap :thumbsup: