PDA

View Full Version : Random Guitar Q&A Blog

kerry
04-20-2007, 08:36 AM
Alright I'll get right to the chase.

Tonight will be my last night in Calgary for a while and I'll have a lot of free time on my hands.
Since I'll have all this time I wanted a new project. That project is an online guitar lesson blog.
Basically you post on here, PM or email any ruts you've run into. An example of a question:
"I can't do those sweet squeal noises that Dimebag Darrell did" or "My pinky sucks when I'm
playing, what can I do?"

Anything that you're having issues with, I'm sure I've run into that problem and will help you
overcome it. I'll also post up a tab, and video that will help show you how to do what you've asked.
No question will be overlooked and I'll get to them as quickly as possible. What more could you
ask? Free online guitar lessons based on what YOU want to learn how to do. All I ask is you show
your friends and help start this up.

For now PM me any questions, I'll hammer out a few lessons and then from there you can either
email me or PM here.

Remember, any questions, any genre.

Thanks and here's to hoping someone helps me get this started.

rage2
04-20-2007, 09:01 AM
Can you teach me how to play Jordan by Buckethead? :rofl:

kerry
04-20-2007, 09:28 AM
Sure! When you teach me how to link all of the corners are Race City with at LEAST a 35
degree angle drift... in your E55... in reverse.

*cough* jackass *cough*

BerserkerCatSplat
04-20-2007, 09:35 AM
Guitar questions only, or will you be fielding bass questions as well?

kerry
04-20-2007, 09:48 AM
Bass questions will be answered as well to the best of my skill.

finboy
04-20-2007, 09:54 AM
every time i play, i sound like crap, why is that? :confused: ;)

kerry
04-20-2007, 09:57 AM
Because you focus too much on gear, not enough on rockin' out with your cock out. No homo.

ricosuave
04-20-2007, 10:01 AM
what kind of strings would you recommend for a squire strat for someone who is learning?

kerry
04-20-2007, 10:07 AM
Ernie Ball Super Slinky or Hybrid Slinky.

I think there may have been some confusion in what I'm trying to do here hahaha.
I want to help you with your technique. I did teach a few lessons to beyonders but
since I'm moving won't be able to offer that. This is the next best thing lol.

Kind of like when you'd write into Guitar World asking how to play something or why
a certain scale sounds weird playing from a different starting note.

death_rabbits
04-20-2007, 11:38 AM
So how do you make the squeal noises you were talking about. I've been trying to do pinch harmonics, and i can get a noise, but it doesn't sound as cool as when i hear it in killswitch engage cds and such. I think I've found the spot to do it with my picking hand, but it sounds just like a natural harmonic with less quality. how do i actually get the squeal effect?

kerry
04-20-2007, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by death_rabbits
So how do you make the squeal noises you were talking about. I've been trying to do pinch harmonics, and i can get a noise, but it doesn't sound as cool as when i hear it in killswitch engage cds and such. I think I've found the spot to do it with my picking hand, but it sounds just like a natural harmonic with less quality. how do i actually get the squeal effect?

And you good sir have created my first lesson.
I'll try to post technique and vid tonight and I'll also post the link.

Keep em comin!

rage2
04-20-2007, 12:30 PM
kerry taught me how to do pinch harmonics. It takes a LOT of practice, I can hit them in about 70% of the fretboard now with about 80% accuracy haha.

kerry can do 'em anywhere 100% of the time, it's sick.

yellowsnow
04-20-2007, 01:16 PM
i took a couple lessons with kerry, and shit he's awesome. i didn't know fingers moved that fast haha... sucks u're going away, who's gonna teach me now ?! :D

kerry
04-20-2007, 02:16 PM
I'll be back Brian I'll be back!!!!!!

Thanks for the sweet feedback guys!

death_rabbits
04-20-2007, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by kerry

And you good sir have created my first lesson.
I'll try to post technique and vid tonight and I'll also post the link.

Keep em comin!

awwwwweesssooooooommmmeeeeeeeee. i'll be looking for it.

b_t
04-20-2007, 05:38 PM
sweeeeps I need to learn more sweeeeps!

wildkarrde
04-20-2007, 06:28 PM
How often should I get my guitar set up? I've had my guitar for about 4 years, and I have never had it checked out.

rage2
04-20-2007, 06:34 PM
What kinda guitar is it?

Inzane
04-24-2007, 11:01 PM
Anyone happen to know who/where in Edmonton is the best place to go for a pro setup?

The guys at Axe Music claim they have "the best guy in the city" for doing setups.
:dunno:

And how about Calgary?

msommers
04-24-2007, 11:20 PM
This is an excellent idea Kerry. Some ideas for those starting out:

- How to string a guitar properly

- Determining your string gauge to music style

- Good references for theory: Knowing scales are important!!

- Finger warm up techniques and flexibility exercises

- Recommended beginner, inter, and advanced songs

msommers
04-24-2007, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by Inzane
Anyone happen to know who/where in Edmonton is the best place to go for a pro setup?

The guys at Axe Music claim they have "the best guy in the city" for doing setups.

And how about Calgary?

Define Pro setup for your situation.

Inzane
04-24-2007, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by msommers

Define Pro setup for your situation.

Ok, forget I used the word "pro" because I certainly am not. :rofl:

I was referring more to the level of experience of the "tech" doing the setup, not so much the player/owner of the guitar. ;)

In other words, where would you go for a pro, not a hack, to do a "proper" setup for you? (And don't ask me to define "proper"... yet).

Where I'm going with this is a relative noob isn't going to know how to set up their intonation properly, adjust the action or even know what it should be, etc. So where can they go to get the "best" setup (within reason and budget) and not be led down the garden path?

kerry
04-25-2007, 02:47 PM
Edmonton go to the luthier upstairs of Mother's Music.
Calgary the guy to goto is Jim Mozzell at Axe.

He's the only dude I'll let touch my guitars except myself.

Sorry about my hiatus, no internet up here hahaha.

Okay I'm going to go to my guitar, and make vid and tab right now according to what I've just been asked about.

HOPEFULLY tonight I'll have a lesson up, but if not tonight then tomorrow for sure. I'll cover what's been asked so far.

Thanks guys!!!

three.eighteen.
04-25-2007, 02:53 PM
i have to replace the power tubes in my marshall jcm2k again, the butthead at long and mcquade was telling me i could get away without re-biasing the amplifier, yes or no?

Inzane
04-25-2007, 03:10 PM
Edmonton go to the luthier upstairs of Mother's Music.
Calgary the guy to goto is Jim Mozzell at Axe.

Thanks!

PS - are you still in Edmonton, or was that just Saturday only?

rage2
04-25-2007, 03:27 PM
Hey Kerry, can I guest blog an article on guitar setup?

Inzane
04-25-2007, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by rage2
Hey Kerry, can I guest blog an article on guitar setup?

Please, please! :D

wildkarrde
04-26-2007, 12:07 AM
What kinda guitar is it?

PRSCE22
Dean Exotica Acoustic

kerry
04-26-2007, 12:14 AM
Give'r dai lo.

Vids done, just need to do tab etc.
Tomorrow!

hussein
04-26-2007, 02:19 AM
So do girls really like it when you play music for them? That's what I've heard. Any recommended songs?

stevieo
04-26-2007, 02:27 AM
I've heard of "warm" sounds coming out of an acoustic guitar..

Im guessing it has to do with teh strings you use?

anyways..

what kinda acoustic guitar strings do you recommend?

i love playing my acoustic even though im only beginner styles haha.

rage2
04-26-2007, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by hussein
So do girls really like it when you play music for them? That's what I've heard. Any recommended songs?
Anything Bon Jovi, and acoustic/clean (no distortion). That gets the ladies wet.

Inzane
04-26-2007, 09:08 AM
Ok, I'll let the cat out of the bag. I've got one of these coming to me (via a friend in the US, since Canada's measely low allocation was spoken for):

http://pic19.picturetrail.com/VOL1096/3952894/13010067/212583680.jpg

Should I wait until you're in Edmonton again next Kerry and have you do the initial setup on this baby? Or should I just take it in to get done?

Yes..... I could quite well become Kerry's IBWIT (Ibanez Whore In Training). :D

kerry
04-26-2007, 10:25 AM
Bahahahaha.

Just get it done in Edmonton. That guy at mother's is great!

rage2
04-26-2007, 10:27 AM
Floyd Rose setup FTL :rofl:.

b_t
04-26-2007, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by stevieo

anyways..

elixir coated strings = best. They last way longer then normal strings, sound way brighter, and feel better on the fingers, especially the acoustic ones.

death_rabbits
04-26-2007, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by b_t

elixir coated strings = best. They last way longer then normal strings, sound way brighter, and feel better on the fingers, especially the acoustic ones.

+1 for elixirs. They're a little more expensive, but totally worth it.

Inzane
04-26-2007, 02:24 PM
Floyd Rose setup FTL :rofl:.

I'm new to the scene, and everyone has their biases of course, and someone (especially Kerry) can correct me if I'm wrong, but... my understanding/impression was that Ibanez's Edge is actually better than the original Floyd Rose it was based on. AND, the version on this RG20th is going back to Ibanez's original Edge design which is supposedly better than their newer Edge-Pro and Edge III bridges, ironically (according to the Ibanez fanboys on the forums).

three.eighteen.
04-26-2007, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by three.eighteen.
i have to replace the power tubes in my marshall jcm2k again, the butthead at long and mcquade was telling me i could get away without re-biasing the amplifier, yes or no?

b_t
04-26-2007, 03:16 PM
If you get the exact same part number tubes then no you won't have to rebias. They need to be exactly the same brand and heat range and all that.

I'm new to the scene, and everyone has their biases of course, and someone (especially Kerry) can correct me if I'm wrong, but... my understanding/impression was that Ibanez's Edge is actually better than the original Floyd Rose it was based on. AND, the version on this RG20th is going back to Ibanez's original Edge design which is supposedly better than their newer Edge-Pro and Edge III bridges, ironically (according to the Ibanez fanboys on the forums).

I don't like any floating trem period, but it is so pimp that you got that new RG reissue. Nice guitar man, nice!

stevieo
04-27-2007, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by b_t

+1 for elixirs. They're a little more expensive, but totally worth it.

awesome thanks guys, I'll check em out.

is there a certain place that sells it only? or are they avaliable at any music store?

death_rabbits
04-27-2007, 01:39 AM
awesome thanks guys, I'll check em out.

is there a certain place that sells it only? or are they avaliable at any music store?

they're sold pretty much anywhere

wildkarrde
04-27-2007, 02:46 AM
Whoops, looks like my question got skipped.

How often should I be getting my PRSCE22 and Dean Exotica set up? What exactly do they do during the setup process, and how much does it cost?

rage2
04-27-2007, 07:27 AM
I'm not talking about how well they work, I'm talking about setting it up. Try changing string tuning once it's setup, it's not an easy task! You're better off having 2 guitars with 2 different tunings than to switch tunings between songs haha.

Originally posted by wildkarrde
How often should I be getting my PRSCE22 and Dean Exotica set up? What exactly do they do during the setup process, and how much does it cost?
There's a bunch of things you can adjust on the guitar, and surprisingly, a lot of players don't know how to do it themselves, and take it to someone and pay them to do it. I was one of them until I learned how to make all the standard adjustments this year. I do a quick setup check everytime I change strings to ensure intonation is spot on. Poor intonation will make chords near the nut sound great, and chords up high sound out of tune.

First off, make sure everything is tight! For bolt on necks, make sure that the bolts are tight so the neck is secure (otherwise it'll suck up vibrations, and u get little to no sustain). Bridge, tuners, make sure everything is nice and tight.

Next, stringing the guitar. It's important to check the nut to ensure smoothness when strings slide past it, as well as wear and tear. You can get lube for your nut :rofl: or you can replace it. It DOES get worn out, grooves get too deep, get buzzing at lower frets, etc. so it's part of regular maintenance to check your nut. If your nut is a bit rough, the strings will get caught, and you won't return in tune after bending or wailing on the whammy bar.

Once the strings are all on, you have to lower the action to your desired height. Check each fret on each string to make sure the notes ring and not buzz. If there's buzzing, you'll have to either adjust the action higher (affecting all areas of fretboard) or adjust the truss rod (affecting isolated areas of fretboard).

More into truss rod adjustments.... this changes the curvature of the neck, so you can adjust it to get the lowest action without fret buzzing, or as a preference, different action at low frets vs higher frets.

Next up is intonation. Once you change action or adjust truss rod, the length of the string between the nut and the saddles changed. What happens is for your E string, when it's tuned to E at open, at the 12th fret it SHOULD be E as well, except one octave higher. Most likely, it won't be, and you'll have to adjust your saddles to change the length of the string between 12th fret to saddle. So tune to open, and if at 12th fret the note is sharp (or too high), you'll have to move the saddles back away from the nut (this increases the string length between 12th fret and saddle, thus lowering the note). If at 12th fret the note is flat (or too low), you'll have to move the saddles towards the nut to decrease string length. Remember, after every time you adjust the saddles, you have to retune open before fretting 12th fret again to check intonation at that string. You have to do this for every string.

I'll do a full writeup on this with pics on kerry's blog soon, as I do have a few guitars I need to do a full setup on.

Inzane
04-27-2007, 10:03 AM
I'm talking about setting it up. Try changing string tuning once it's setup, it's not an easy task! You're better off having 2 guitars with 2 different tunings than to switch tunings between songs haha.

That's probably a very good reason to buy at least a 2nd guitar. I would fully expect a future purchase would be one with a fixed bridge.

But based on the stuff I want to learn to play, I HAD to get a tremolo! :D

rage2
04-27-2007, 10:10 AM
That's probably a very good reason to buy at least a 2nd guitar. I would fully expect a future purchase would be one with a fixed bridge.

But based on the stuff I want to learn to play, I HAD to get a tremolo! :D
haha I had the exact same problem, and the strat tremolos gave me nothing but grief.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/89133/fender-strat-and-their-crappy-out-of-tune-tremolos-help/

Of course I did figure out how to make the strat trems work properly, and I like the feel of them better than floating bridges. Plus I can change tuning in 5 seconds. Of course that's just personal preference.

I talk a bit about that here:

http://rage2.westsideblogs.com/2007/03/01/new-toy-fender-60th-anniversary-strat/

My strat can do divebombs almost as low as a floating bridge, stays in tune, easy to change tuning, best of both worlds!

msommers
04-29-2007, 04:57 PM

anyways..

There are two types of strings that you can get for an acoustic and IMO have two entirely different sounds to them:

- Various metal combinations (bronze,copper, steel etc)
- Nylon

To get the "warm" tone your are speaking of, I think has to do partly with the strings but mainly from the guitar itself. I'm willing to bet big dollars that the exact same set of strings on a Gibson is going to give a different "warmth" tone than on a Taylor. The construction and type of wood of the guitar will give you this variation in sound.

People's definition of warmth varies, so try out a bunch of different guitars at the store and see which one sounds the best to you. Open chords I find are a great way to compare. Although technically it doesn't matter if you have a decent ear or you already know the sound you're looking for rather than a sound you like.

For brand I personally like D'Addario Acoustic strings (they have different versions).

Inzane
05-09-2007, 10:21 AM
I'm not talking about how well they work, I'm talking about setting it up. Try changing string tuning once it's setup, it's not an easy task!

Well, I tackled tuning my new RG550 for the first time last night. I spent probably ~30-45 minutes on it. Bearing in mind this is my first time ever touching an electric guitar, let alone one with a floating bridge.

It was a slow iterative process but I eventually got all strings in tune before locking them at the nut.

Then I checked intonation (but didn't mess with it). Comparing open to the 12th fret most strings were bang on. However when checking the 24th fret all strings were somewhat flat at the 24th. (from what I've been reading on some Ibanez sites, setting intonation correct at the 24th is more accurate than relying on the 12th fret).

I think for now I will probably leave intonation, action, neck adjustment, etc. for a pro to set up for me. I was just happy last night that I succeeded in getting the guitar "in tune" initially.

PS - still shopping for an amp.

rage2
05-09-2007, 10:26 AM
Then I checked intonation (but didn't mess with it). Comparing open to the 12th fret most strings were bang on. However when checking the 24th fret all strings were somewhat flat at the 24th. (from what I've been reading on some Ibanez sites, setting intonation correct at the 24th is more accurate than relying on the 12th fret).
Yea, that's because most guitars don't have a 24th fret ;). So if you do have it, you can compare it there too and yes it'll be more accurate.

b_t
05-09-2007, 01:26 PM
Man rage its weird you like strat trems.. those things just make my picking hand feel abused especially when I am doing a lot of really fast palm mutes (so basically all the time). A floyd is so much more comfortable..

When are we going to have another beyond.ca jam session? :D

thinmyster
05-15-2007, 01:47 PM
stratocaster or telecastor?

for mostly alternative/rock/punk

rage2
05-15-2007, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by b_t
Man rage its weird you like strat trems.. those things just make my picking hand feel abused especially when I am doing a lot of really fast palm mutes (so basically all the time). A floyd is so much more comfortable..
I guess it's just what we're used to. I can NOT do palm mutes on a floyd rose lol.

Originally posted by b_t
When are we going to have another beyond.ca jam session? :D
I'm thinking probably in a month's time... just gotta catch up on work here first!

finboy
05-15-2007, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by thinmyster
stratocaster or telecastor?

for mostly alternative/rock/punk

look for the john 5 triple humbucker telecaster, its the best of both worlds

b_t
05-15-2007, 05:15 PM

I guess it's just what we're used to. I can NOT do palm mutes on a floyd rose lol.

I'm thinking probably in a month's time... just gotta catch up on work here first!

I prefer my new Musicman trem over a floyd now too :D
In a months time I am gone, starting June 7 I am working 18 days straight 13 hour days for a massive project by Red Deer. I plan to get some more guitars when I get back, an ESP custom maybe ahaha :D

thinmyster
05-15-2007, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by finboy

look for the john 5 triple humbucker telecaster, its the best of both worlds

Thanks dude looks perfect

Mckenzie
05-20-2007, 07:34 PM
Way off topic-

I watched a band in Canmore at the Drake this weekend called Morning Wood- All covers as far as I could tell

But! They were fantastic and nailed two songs that were pretty impressive- Alive by Pearl Jam (the vocals anyways) and best of all, Sultans of Swing by Dire Straits!

The guitar player nailed pretty much every single note in the song including the last outro with the super fast hybrid picking. Now I'm sitting here fiending on this song by Knopfler....anyone else ever tried this one?

Great little riff/jam song.

Adam- you should give this one a try. :D

rage2
05-21-2007, 12:01 PM
Yep, I've tried sultans of swing. Awesome song to play!

z1_bam
05-21-2007, 05:59 PM
Kinda out of the blue here but has anyone had any experience with warmoth guitars? I saw the les paul gt at guitarworks the other day and dinked around with it a bit and fell in love except for the price tag so I was looking to go with a similar setup on a smaller budget

I've checked out epiphones, this one fernandes was cool with active pickups, but then I saw warmoth direct, they seem very nice and at least I can pick my own equipment instead of switching stuff out.

So has anyone seen any of their product close up? and what exactly would change going with their 25 1/2" scale necks? they use the same number of frets so would it just be more fret spacing and lower tuning? (or would you have to just wind your strings tighter?)

anyways its cool to see other beyonders that play guitar and can talk about it.

finboy
05-21-2007, 06:10 PM
as per warmoth, i've considered picking up a couple before but they only do bolt on necks, this isn't a bad thing but it is different from your standard les paul.

if you want a cheaper price but still good quality, and you like les pauls, check out ebay for the following...

edwards, tokai, epiphone elite series, gibson studio's (under $700 usd, and the way their dollar is, that might as well be $700 canadian), or older 70's japanese models like aria and greco. make sure the seller will ship to canada, and do whatever you can to get it shipped via USPS to aviod huge brokerage fees

the problem with warmoth is that you are spending a lot of money for a guitar, and it holds almost no resale value (if that means anything to you), and you can already get great guitars that meet your requirements for less money.

finboy
05-21-2007, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Mckenzie
Way off topic-

I watched a band in Canmore at the Drake this weekend called Morning Wood- All covers as far as I could tell

But! They were fantastic and nailed two songs that were pretty impressive- Alive by Pearl Jam (the vocals anyways) and best of all, Sultans of Swing by Dire Straits!

The guitar player nailed pretty much every single note in the song including the last outro with the super fast hybrid picking. Now I'm sitting here fiending on this song by Knopfler....anyone else ever tried this one?

Great little riff/jam song.

Adam- you should give this one a try. :D

always meant to look into that song, right now i'm working on some slide stuff for "love spreads" by the stone roses, using this vid as reference point...

x2Pj3gqSpYA

theken
05-21-2007, 06:23 PM
i need to learn how to play in general. :) i bought a ackage from axe, sounds alright, cept i don't.

b_t
05-21-2007, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by z1_bam
Kinda out of the blue here but has anyone had any experience with warmoth guitars? I saw the les paul gt at guitarworks the other day and dinked around with it a bit and fell in love except for the price tag so I was looking to go with a similar setup on a smaller budget

I've checked out epiphones, this one fernandes was cool with active pickups, but then I saw warmoth direct, they seem very nice and at least I can pick my own equipment instead of switching stuff out.

So has anyone seen any of their product close up? and what exactly would change going with their 25 1/2" scale necks? they use the same number of frets so would it just be more fret spacing and lower tuning? (or would you have to just wind your strings tighter?)

anyways its cool to see other beyonders that play guitar and can talk about it.

If you want a Les Paul you are going to have get a Les Paul. A good alternative though is the new LTD PB-500. It has a gigantic body on it and weighs a ton, has got a great set of Seymour Duncan pickups on it, but it plays like a modern guitar, the neck is about the same size as your average Jackson and the frets were biiig. The sound was great! And they are only $825 with tax and the finish is transparent so none of that mystery wood bullshit you get with Epiphone.

The 25.5" scale neck is the most common scale size, but it is the Fender size instead of the Gibson size (24.75"). They sound twangier and have a less bassy tone. A Warmoth Les Paul copy sounds nothing like a Les Paul because the short scale and set neck are key to the Les Paul tone.

I played a Les Paul GT at a Guitarworks awhile back and I did a bend on it, going big Zakk Wylde style, and the string popped out of the nut, and considering how shitty my Silverburst SG was (even though it was a limited edition) I'm never going to get another Gibson, ever.

finboy
05-21-2007, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by b_t

If you want a Les Paul you are going to have get a Les Paul. A good alternative though is the new LTD PB-500. It has a gigantic body on it and weighs a ton, has got a great set of Seymour Duncan pickups on it, but it plays like a modern guitar, the neck is about the same size as your average Jackson and the frets were biiig. The sound was great! And they are only $825 with tax and the finish is transparent so none of that mystery wood bullshit you get with Epiphone.

The 25.5" scale neck is the most common scale size, but it is the Fender size instead of the Gibson size (24.75"). They sound twangier and have a less bassy tone. A Warmoth Les Paul copy sounds nothing like a Les Paul because the short scale and set neck are key to the Les Paul tone.

I played a Les Paul GT at a Guitarworks awhile back and I did a bend on it, going big Zakk Wylde style, and the string popped out of the nut, and considering how shitty my Silverburst SG was (even though it was a limited edition) I'm never going to get another Gibson, ever.

gibsons qc can be sketchy, especially on the lower levels and guitar of the month guitars (siverburst). unfortunatly they are banking a lot on their name, and pricey models which don't change but increase in price every year. I love my sg classic, but if there is no way i would pay the mrsp for it. epiphones can be pretty good, the do utilize multi piece bodies but that isn't always a bad thing, MIM fenders can be 7 or 8 piece bodies, but they still play alright.

shop around, read reviews on harmony centray, and play a few guitars, its usually a solid way to find a good guitar

z1_bam
05-22-2007, 11:47 PM
thanks for all the help guys, ended up just getting an epiphone studio and saving the bank for a couple pickups.

Inzane
05-24-2007, 04:27 PM
I've got my nice RG550 here (in blinding Road Flare Red!), but I'm stick stuck on the amp dilemma.

Peavey... Mesa... Line 6... Roland... Marshall... Crate... etc. ARRGH!

b_t
05-24-2007, 08:22 PM
Mesa? I didn't think they were in your price range. Get one of those :D

Mckenzie
05-24-2007, 11:03 PM
I think the best guy in the city for any guitar work is Miles Jones from fretworks- a bit pricey but his work is amazing. He put bass frets on my Eric Clapton strat and did an amazing job! He even delivered to my door on a saturday....when I took it back for some buzzzing issues like a year later, he had no prob fixing it for free. Check out his website.

finboy
05-24-2007, 11:16 PM
miles does great work, but if you only have one guitar, or want it rushed, you might want to look elsewhere

he's worked on my tele, supernova, LP, and LP sig, top notch work and service on all of them

Inzane
05-25-2007, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by b_t
Mesa? I didn't think they were in your price range. Get one of those :D

Honestly I don't know. I haven't seen a lot of shops here that sell that brand so I don't have a good grasp of their pricing, but I've heard good things about Mesa on the internet of course.

Mckenzie
05-25-2007, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by finboy
miles does great work, but if you only have one guitar, or want it rushed, you might want to look elsewhere

he's worked on my tele, supernova, LP, and LP sig, top notch work and service on all of them

True- I guess if you want it done properly though, you gotta be patient. I've been hosed before by shady techs who dont care about what they are doing. At least Miles gives a crap about his customers and work- something I will pay/wait for anyday.

Honestly I don't know. I haven't seen a lot of shops here that sell that brand so I don't have a good grasp of their pricing, but I've heard good things about Mesa on the internet of course.

Long & McQuade sells Mesa and so does Guitarjerks I mean Guitarworks. L&M is by far the best for price and service- once you are out the door at GW, dont expect too much from them. At least at L&M you can return it even after two years if you dont like it and they will charge you 'rent'.

That is where I bought the Mesa that another beyond member owns (see above) :D. I honestly REALLY miss that amp.

Inzane
05-25-2007, 12:16 PM
Are they (Mesa) really expensive?

Mckenzie
05-25-2007, 12:42 PM
^ Depends on which model but generally yes. You get what you pay for- those amps are indestructible.

Check out the 5/50 or the F30 or F50 for their lower priced amps...they are killer.

b_t
05-25-2007, 03:41 PM
Even the 5/50 is a lot. I wouldn't even mess with anything cheaper then a Dual Rectifier, and by that point you are looking at about $2100 I think just for the head (plus cabinet!) :D
My half stack as it sits would have been just under $4,000 brand new. Buy your amp used and you can get a much nicer one :D

If you buy used, I would highly recommend a Line 6 Flextone II or III. They sound great!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Line-6-Flextone-II-XL-Combo_W0QQitemZ170114207775QQihZ007QQcategoryZ10171QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem ;)

Inzane
05-25-2007, 09:32 PM
How about the Peavey Valveking 112 combo amp? (50w, tube) Axe Music here quoted me $495 on this amp today, which is within my budget.

Inzane
01-26-2010, 02:01 PM
** Thread Bump ** :D

Alright I'll get right to the chase.

Tonight will be my last night in Calgary for a while and I'll have a lot of free time on my hands.
Since I'll have all this time I wanted a new project. That project is an online guitar lesson blog.
Basically you post on here, PM or email any ruts you've run into. An example of a question:
"I can't do those sweet squeal noises that Dimebag Darrell did" or "My pinky sucks when I'm
playing, what can I do?"

Anything that you're having issues with, I'm sure I've run into that problem and will help you
overcome it. I'll also post up a tab, and video that will help show you how to do what you've asked.
No question will be overlooked and I'll get to them as quickly as possible. What more could you
ask? Free online guitar lessons based on what YOU want to learn how to do. All I ask is you show
your friends and help start this up.

For now PM me any questions, I'll hammer out a few lessons and then from there you can either
email me or PM here.

Remember, any questions, any genre.

Thanks and here's to hoping someone helps me get this started.

What are the chances Kerry would be willing to give it another go here?

Graham_A_M
01-27-2010, 06:22 PM
too bad this thread has been derailed as of late. :dunno:

Yeah Miles @ Fretworks is redoing my bass wiring after a former band/current beyond member absolutely hacked it 8 ways from Sunday :banghead:
Not bad for $70, I know Jim Mozell would want $110 for the same thing.

I agree L&M is great... Its surprising how cool they are with returns. I even returned a pack of strings for my bass without a receipt. :dunno: