PDA

View Full Version : Nice Watches

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28

Str1der
02-24-2010, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
Interesting..... Tag & Chopard use the exact same movement as Tissot, With Tag you pay three times as much as you should for the same watch. With Chopard, you pay 10 times as much. :banghead:

And this is news? It's marketing.

Graham_A_M
02-24-2010, 11:25 PM
^ it would be news for at least a portion of those viewing this thread. Just thought I'd give a heads up to those paying out the ass for a Tag, Bvlgari or Chopard watch.

ercchry
02-24-2010, 11:32 PM
as stated with rolex... label whoring is what it is about :bigpimp:

93mr2gt
02-24-2010, 11:33 PM
Where can i get a good automatic watch winder in Calgary? one that can hold 4 watches?

Pacman
02-24-2010, 11:35 PM

Interesting..... Tag & Chopard use the exact same movement as Tissot, With Tag you pay three times as much as you should for the same watch. With Chopard, you pay 10 times as much. :banghead:
Bvlgari watches? you're a fool if you buy one.. crap movements, idiotic pricetags.

The Swiss watch industry has perfected the art of selling the exact same product at drastically different price points, just packaged differently.

I can buy a Victorinox/Swiss Army watch with a nice , unfinished, ETA mechanical movement for $300. That exact, same unfinished movement is also used in Tissot, Hamilton, Tag, Oris and slew of other brands. All they do is swap out the rotor, for one with their brand name engraved on it and sell the watch for $1,000 to $2,500.

Other brands like Breitling, Omega use slightly better finished versions of the same movement and sell them for $3,000 to $5,000 (although you can buy some really nice Victorinox watches using these same, highly finished movements for $1,000).

The sources for movements has been known for a long time. The thing I wonder is, where are the cases, hands and dials being made. The quality of the high end Swiss Army watches are now on par with those of Breitling, Tag, Oris etc. It wouldn't surprise me if they are all being sourced from the same place.

rage2
02-24-2010, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by beyond_ban
but if i did have an investment like that on my wrist
Watches are as much of an investment as cars. :rofl:

http://www.tissot.ch/?mod_collections/action_getsubfamilies/colid_0008/famid_5012/refid_T71_1_467_13
Bvlgari watches? you're a fool if you buy one.. crap movements, idiotic pricetags.
Almost *all* swiss watches uses movements from the same handful of companies, which are pretty much all owned by Swatch. You have some companies that use completed ETA movements, some that just decorate them, some that assemble it themselves, and some that modifies them to the point where they're no longer the original. The reason why these companies all use these movements is that the designs date back to the 50's and 60's and have been proven to be very reliable and accurate.

There's also a large difference in price, accuracy and components between an Elaborated grade vs the top line Chronometer grade of the same ETA 7750 movement that's in your watch vs a more expensive watch, so it's unfair to say it's the same watch.

Very few watch companies make their own in-house movements, the ones that do, the watches are pretty up there in price, because it's not cheap designing and manufacturing a movement from scratch.

Graham_A_M
02-24-2010, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by Pacman

The Swiss watch industry has perfected the art of selling the exact same product at drastically different price points, just packaged differently.

I guess it comes down to the packaging that makes people pay the idiotic sums. I'd love a diamond encrusted (skeleton) watch, but something tells me that paying $10k +++ for whats basically a $500 watch holds me back. :dunno:
I guess if money is seriously not an option, why not eh? But for us mere mortals, I'd like to know my money isn't being pissed away at a mere marketing ploy.
EDIT: Thanks rage, I'd like to talk with my buddy with what you've said. You share an interesting take on this.

ercchry
02-24-2010, 11:52 PM
something tells me the cost of the diamonds on that encrusted watch would drive the price up a wee bit from $500 :dunno:

you must also remember that most of those $10k plus watches are limited edition, your argument i would say would compare to something like-" bmw is over priced since it uses a piston engine just like a chevy"

rage2
02-24-2010, 11:56 PM
I guess it comes down to the packaging that makes people pay the idiotic sums. I'd love a diamond encrusted (skeleton) watch, but something tells me that paying $10k +++ for whats basically a $500 watch holds me back. :dunno:
I guess if money is seriously not an option, why not eh? But for us mere mortals, I'd like to know my money isn't being pissed away at a mere marketing ploy.
EDIT: Thanks rage, I'd like to talk with my buddy with what you've said. You share an interesting take on this.
Don't get me wrong, I completely agree with what you and Pacman are saying. I'm just saying that there ARE differences in the movements, especially when it comes to grade and accuracy. I'll bet my TAG Carrera movement looks no different than your Tissot movement except for the rotor and color of the jewels and gears. :rofl:

As for what grade movements our watches are using, that's probably a fairly closely guarded secret.

Let me know how accurate your watch is after you give it a few weeks to break it in, maybe we can compare notes haha. My most inaccurate watch right now is my Carrera 360, which is about a second and a half a day slow. It's 3 years old though, probably needs a good service.

Pacman
02-25-2010, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by rage2

As for what grade movements our watches are using, that's probably a fairly closely guarded secret.

There are some ways to tell on the 7750. The problem is, some companies use parts from the Elaborated and mix them with the top grade, so you never know what you are getting.

You used to be able to look at the balance wheel. If it had "hour glass" shaped spokes, it was the "top grade" wheras the Elaborted had straight spokes.

Godfuader
02-25-2010, 12:06 AM

Almost *all* swiss watches uses movements from the same handful of companies, which are pretty much all owned by Swatch.
Is this why the Swatch line tends to be very reliable? They have quite a few big names under their portfolio like Omega, Rado, Longines, Tissott, etc. To what degree would the components on the basic Swatch be similar to the higher end ones?

I have been a Swatch fan since the 80's, and found their stuff to last ages. The couple ones that I have with me here are:
http://wristwatchnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/ycs410gx-windfall-1.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/512x4zmqNsL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

rage2
02-25-2010, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by ercchry
something tells me the cost of the diamonds on that encrusted watch would drive the price up a wee bit from $500 :dunno:
For sure, but most of the watches we're talking about doesn't really have diamonds, or anything that justify the big price premium. My TAGs are a good example, I'm not a fan of flashy watches, and they look as simple and plain as a watch 1/3 of the price.

your argument i would say would compare to something like-" bmw is over priced since it uses a piston engine just like a chevy"
haha no, it's more like a b18c vs a b18c with a red valve cover. :rofl:

There are some ways to tell on the 7750. The problem is, some companies use parts from the Elaborated and mix them with the top grade, so you never know what you are getting.
Yea, it's definately difficult to tell since the more expensive watch companies buy the parts and assemble the movements themselves. Accuracy is pretty much all I care about. I'd hate to have to re-adjust my watches every few days. Some of the chinese 7750 movements I've seen are off by 30 seconds a day with no way to regulate it, that would be annoying as hell haha.

G-Suede
02-25-2010, 12:18 AM
Some of the chinese 7750 movements I've seen are off by 30 seconds a day with no way to regulate it, that would be annoying as hell haha.

Chinese 7750? I'm assuming you mean 7750 knockoffs?

ercchry
02-25-2010, 12:18 AM

For sure, but most of the watches we're talking about doesn't really have diamonds, or anything that justify the big price premium. My TAGs are a good example, I'm not a fan of flashy watches, and they look as simple and plain as a watch 1/3 of the price.

haha no, it's more like a b18c vs a b18c with a red valve cover. :rofl:

that was in response to this "'d love a diamond encrusted (skeleton) watch, but something tells me that paying $10k +++ for whats basically a $500 watch holds me back"

but still, most watches over $10g are limited numbers, you are not buying them for the engine powering them (be it piston or rotary ;) ) but the prestige of the company and exclusivity of the watch

G-Suede
02-25-2010, 12:22 AM
you must also remember that most of those $10k plus watches are limited edition,

Yeah, they are limited because they have a number pounded into the case. That alone must be worth what, an extra 75% markup?

G-Suede
02-25-2010, 12:22 AM
the prestige of the company and exclusivity of the watch...

...is all in your head in that case.

ercchry
02-25-2010, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by G-Suede

...is all in your head in that case.

not really.... a $10k watch is pretty damn exclusive... and a company as old as dirt has a pretty prestigious history :dunno:

and supply and demand tells me yes, having a number stamped in the case makes it more valuable

rage2
02-25-2010, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by Godfuader
Is this why the Swatch line tends to be very reliable? They have quite a few big names under their portfolio like Omega, Rado, Longines, Tissott, etc. To what degree would the components on the basic Swatch be similar to the higher end ones?
I'd say 90% of the watches out on the market use an ETA movement. There's only a few popular ones. See this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ETA_SA

Chinese 7750? I'm assuming you mean 7750 knockoffs?
Semantics. :)

The patents on the ETA movements are long expired, so you can copy it and manufacture it as your own, regardless if you're in China or Switzerland. Sellita movements are copies of the ETA movement but with a different name, and made in Switzerland.

rage2
02-25-2010, 12:30 AM
but still, most watches over $10g are limited numbers
Limited editions are getting a little out of hand too. I was looking at a TAG Heuer Calibre 1, and it's marked as a limited edition... of 6000 pieces. :rofl:

Grey market shops sell 'em at nearly 50% discount too haha.

ercchry
02-25-2010, 12:35 AM

Limited editions are getting a little out of hand too. I was looking at a TAG Heuer Calibre 1, and it's marked as a limited edition... of 6000 pieces. :rofl:

Grey market shops sell 'em at nearly 50% discount too haha.

yeah 6000 watches is kinda... brutal, im talking more like 20 pieces... like iwc big pilot zegg&cerlati :bigpimp:

http://market.watchprosite.com/show-forumpost/fi-712/pi-2658241/ti-442941/s-0/

G-Suede
02-25-2010, 12:37 AM
The patents on the ETA movements are long expired, so you can copy it and manufacture it as your own, regardless if you're in China or Switzerland. Sellita movements are copies of the ETA movement but with a different name, and made in Switzerland.

Right, but I was wondering what you meant by not being able to regulate them, why is that? As far as I know, regulating a 775x movement shouldn't be a problem.

rage2
02-25-2010, 12:45 AM
Right, but I was wondering what you meant by not being able to regulate them, why is that? As far as I know, regulating a 775x movement shouldn't be a problem.
I'm not terribly familiar with 'em, but finding someone that would work on 'em is a problem. Second, I've read that it's tough to regulate them at different mainspring positions, so you can only get them accurate at full wind or half wind, but not both.

shakalaka
02-25-2010, 02:14 AM
I need some help here guys. I went to this party tonight and one of the guys' there was wearing a really cool watch. As stupid as it was of me I totally forgot to ask him about it. And now when I try to think of it I can't really find anything on the internet. But considering how some of you guys are experts, you may be able to help me out here.

I have a very general, vague description of it. It's a shot in the dark but here goes.

It seemed like it had a rubber strap. Slightly thick near the dial but then got thinner. The dial was round and large, a big circle, definitely larger than usual round dial watches. And I guess the most distinct feature was that it was ALL black. Literally every single thing on it was black including the dial itself, which sorta hid the insides of it you could barely see the needles and numbers inside from far. It looked really different and stood out because of it being all black and this distinctive looking large, round dial.

Anyone with any ideas with what this may be please feel free to post pics or whatever to help me out here.

Thanks

Pacman
02-25-2010, 08:21 AM
Unfortunately, that describes a lot of watches out there.

I'm currently wearing this one, on a black rubber strap.

http://gallery.me.com/dscardina/100224/IMG_8404/web.jpg

Neil4Speed
02-25-2010, 08:44 AM
Nice watch Pacman - I am generally not a big fan of the split digital/analog designs but that is really slick!

Pacman
02-25-2010, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed
Nice watch Pacman - I am generally not a big fan of the split digital/analog designs but that is really slick!

It's the "poor mans" Breitling Aerospace. It uses the same movement as the Breitling and you can get them for 1/10th of the price.

All the functions (chrono, alarm, 2nd timezone, countdown timer) are accessed by turning the crown. It's pretty slick.

Graham_A_M
02-25-2010, 11:01 AM
Shakalaka, that really doesn't say anything.. That could honestly be anything in all reality. I'd find him on Facebook or whatever and ask him there if you can, or ask a friend that knows him, but going by your description is impossible really.

flipstah
02-25-2010, 11:10 AM
Shakalaka, your best shot is to look for that individual.

He's probably a friend of a friend of a friend.

Here's to hoping you find that watch! :D

shakalaka
02-25-2010, 12:24 PM
Aww damn. Thanks guys, I guess I'll try to find a mutual friend or something and go from there. We were all supposed to go out for a party on Friday and he's going to be there as well, but I just found out that I have to go to a different one. Maybe I'll ask my brother to ask him since he's going. I tried to do a search on google as well, without much luck.

Thanks anyways guys.

ercchry
02-25-2010, 12:25 PM
was it this one? :dunno:

http://image.nixonnow.com/image/product_detail/season1/products/hero/A058-hero-001.jpg

G-Suede
02-25-2010, 12:35 PM
http://www.welderamerica.com/images/K24/K24-3306.jpg

http://www.creativewatch.co.uk/pimages/hamilton-below-zero-1000m-h78585333-large.jpg

shakalaka
02-25-2010, 01:01 PM
Out of the one's above I think the Welder one seems to be the closest. Although don't think there were any white parts in it or maybe I couldn't see from that far. And the side buttons to adjust time and stuff seems too big on the Welder one. It didn't have any markings or anything on the outer ring.

Neil4Speed
02-25-2010, 01:09 PM

It's the "poor mans" Breitling Aerospace. It uses the same movement as the Breitling and you can get them for 1/10th of the price.

All the functions (chrono, alarm, 2nd timezone, countdown timer) are accessed by turning the crown. It's pretty slick.

Super impressive... and I would call that Smart Man, not poor man ;)

benyl
02-26-2010, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by shakalaka
I need some help here guys. I went to this party tonight and one of the guys' there was wearing a really cool watch. As stupid as it was of me I totally forgot to ask him about it. And now when I try to think of it I can't really find anything on the internet. But considering how some of you guys are experts, you may be able to help me out here.

I have a very general, vague description of it. It's a shot in the dark but here goes.

It seemed like it had a rubber strap. Slightly thick near the dial but then got thinner. The dial was round and large, a big circle, definitely larger than usual round dial watches. And I guess the most distinct feature was that it was ALL black. Literally every single thing on it was black including the dial itself, which sorta hid the insides of it you could barely see the needles and numbers inside from far. It looked really different and stood out because of it being all black and this distinctive looking large, round dial.

Anyone with any ideas with what this may be please feel free to post pics or whatever to help me out here.

Thanks

http://www.seconds2none.com/products/meister-ambassador-am105cf#

Cos
02-26-2010, 11:10 AM
shakalaka was it this?

http://www.minhanadasimplesvida.com/wordp/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/rtemagicc_breitling-super-avenger-blacksteel-chronograph-front1.jpg

Destinova403
02-26-2010, 03:22 PM
http://professionalwatches.com/Oris-TT3-allblack-thumb-450x634.jpg

this?

or...

http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=8064682

:dunno:

rage2
02-26-2010, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Impreza
Is the "duty" just the 5% GST? or is it an additional charge on TOP of the GST?

There is no duty at all. Just 5% GST that's it.
Just bringing up an old topic back from the thread...

Apparently, the European Free Trade Agreement for duty free Swiss watches only applies to products coming in from Switzerland. This means that for Swiss watches, it's duty free from Switzerland, but 5% from elsewhere.

I got dinged 5% duty as well as 5% GST bringing a watch in from Hong Kong.

drifttube123
02-26-2010, 05:35 PM

Just bringing up an old topic back from the thread...

Apparently, the European Free Trade Agreement for duty free Swiss watches only applies to products coming in from Switzerland. This means that for Swiss watches, it's duty free from Switzerland, but 5% from elsewhere.

I got dinged 5% duty as well as 5% GST bringing a watch in from Hong Kong.

I was charged the duty too on Swiss made watches when I came back from the States.

tawheed
02-26-2010, 05:46 PM
Out of the one's above I think the Welder one seems to be the closest. Although don't think there were any white parts in it or maybe I couldn't see from that far. And the side buttons to adjust time and stuff seems too big on the Welder one. It didn't have any markings or anything on the outer ring.

Could be a U-boat?

http://www.alanfurman.com/images/uboat_flightdeck_white.jpg

bball2
03-04-2010, 01:12 AM
http://i.imgur.com/HO9i6.jpg
Apparently it went for $5 million at auction.

rage2
03-04-2010, 01:21 AM
TAG Heuer Carrera Limited Edition. This watch was issued to commemorate Lewis Hamilton's 2008 F1 World Driver's Championship victory with Vodafone McLaren Mercedes.

http://www.virgeweb.com/rage2/tag/35.jpg

http://www.virgeweb.com/rage2/tag/36.jpg

http://www.virgeweb.com/rage2/tag/37.jpg

http://www.virgeweb.com/rage2/tag/38.jpg

Redlyne_mr2
03-04-2010, 01:34 AM
^^^ Nice, I love that style of watch, you can wear it casual with shorts and a beater or with a suit unlike the more formal styles.

rage2
03-04-2010, 01:43 AM
I can't stand the metal bracelet. I ordered a rubber strap for it and will be using that instead. It'll look much more sporty with the rubber.

shakalaka
03-04-2010, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by benyl

http://www.seconds2none.com/products/meister-ambassador-am105cf#

This could have been it. Though I think the face was much bigger on that one and there was no white part in the date section.

Originally posted by Cos
shakalaka was it this?

http://www.minhanadasimplesvida.com/wordp/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/rtemagicc_breitling-super-avenger-blacksteel-chronograph-front1.jpg

Definitely not this one. Way too much white on it.

Originally posted by Destinova403
http://professionalwatches.com/Oris-TT3-allblack-thumb-450x634.jpg

this?

This is pretty close I would think, although I think the dial is way too busy in this one. It was fairly simple inside of that. And remember guys the face was round and much bigger than an average watch you'd say. On his wrist it almost looked way too big.
or...

http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=8064682

:dunno:

This if the inside stuff was all black would be pretty darn close if not the one I think. But the strap on it definitely seemed rubberish and was connected with the face fairly closely, if that makes any sense. Like you couldn't see much space between the strap connected and the face.

Originally posted by tawheed

Could be a U-boat?

http://www.alanfurman.com/images/uboat_flightdeck_white.jpg

Like I said, if the insides were all black, I think it might have been it. Where can I look at these watches? More styles etc

shakalaka
03-04-2010, 02:43 AM
Anyone know where I can find the Lexon LM102?

The only place that I could find online sells in Euros and comes to to be way more than it's worth in dollars?

Weapon_R
03-08-2010, 08:24 PM
Just picked this up tonight! Breitling Superocean Chrono, looking for a brown crocodile strap in the unlikely event that someone here has one.

http://images.watchfinder.co.uk/images/Breilting/A13340_SBB.jpg

CKY
03-09-2010, 12:18 AM
Anyone know where I can find the Lexon LM102?

The only place that I could find online sells in Euros and comes to to be way more than it's worth in dollars?

Actually, for how weak the euro is, might be a good time to buy online if you can't find anything.

ICEBERG
03-09-2010, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Just picked this up tonight! Breitling Superocean Chrono, looking for a brown crocodile strap in the unlikely event that someone here has one.

http://images.watchfinder.co.uk/images/Breilting/A13340_SBB.jpg

Very nice. I love Breitling's. I have the brown crocodile strap BUT use it on my SA. Enjoy the watch.:thumbsup:

Cos
03-09-2010, 10:47 PM
I got my brown crock from calgary jewellers for my BSA.

rage2
03-09-2010, 10:48 PM
w00p!

http://www.virgeweb.com/rage2/tag/39.jpg

Weapon_R
03-09-2010, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by ICEBERG

Very nice. I love Breitling's. I have the brown crocodile strap BUT use it on my SA. Enjoy the watch.:thumbsup:

Beautiful watch. I originally wanted to get an SA but it was way too large for my wrists.

Destinova403
03-10-2010, 12:30 AM
Nice Breitling... I actually have the non-chrono version of it.

Neil4Speed
03-10-2010, 08:01 AM

Beautiful watch. I originally wanted to get an SA but it was way too large for my wrists.

Nice watch! Good call on the Alligator strap, I think the seperation in colors between the stainless steel and the strap will really add something to the look

w00p!

Beautiful watch! I have been eyeing a Monaco for a while but was thinking about settling for a Hamilton square face.

Did you have a hard time deciding between the black face and the blue? Did you take a look at the 69?

Cos
03-10-2010, 08:52 AM
So Rage how many is that now :eek:

rage2
03-10-2010, 09:07 AM
Beautiful watch! I have been eyeing a Monaco for a while but was thinking about settling for a Hamilton square face.

Did you have a hard time deciding between the black face and the blue? Did you take a look at the 69?
Thanks. Not interested in the 69 at all, a little too gimmicky with the 2 sided analog/digital faces, plus it would be a bitch to maintain.

I looked at the black McQueen at Calgary Jewelery about 2 weeks ago (they have the newer Calibre 12 model with a slightly updated case), and thought it would look better in blue. I found a used Calibre 17 blue McQueen (the first of the non limited McQueens) in the US and that was it. The exchange rate is too good to pass up right now. I probably paid about the same price as a new Hamilton Jazzmaster square chrono for this watch. The current Calibre 12 blue McQueen retails for 5200, which made even more sense to pick this one up haha.

Weapon_R
03-10-2010, 11:10 AM

Nice watch! Good call on the Alligator strap, I think the seperation in colors between the stainless steel and the strap will really add something to the look

Yeah, I need to break it up a little. I'm trying to get the look in the attached pic, makes it look so much better IMO

http://www.redfingerprint.com/image/watches/BL_00/BreitlingA13340WHTINDEXBRWCROCOBA_small.jpg

ICEBERG
03-10-2010, 01:37 PM

Yeah, I need to break it up a little. I'm trying to get the look in the attached pic, makes it look so much better IMO

http://www.redfingerprint.com/image/watches/BL_00/BreitlingA13340WHTINDEXBRWCROCOBA_small.jpg

If you like soccer, then you should know that Chelsea FC goalkeeper Petr Cech wears the same watch.:D

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh315/true-blue40/picture007Medium.jpg

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh315/true-blue40/picture008Medium.jpg

ICEBERG
03-10-2010, 01:56 PM
w00p!

w00p ;)

http://watches.infoniac.com/uimg/tag-heuer-monaco-twenty-four-concept-chronograph-face.jpg

http://watches.infoniac.com/uimg/tag-heuer-monaco-twenty-four-concept-chronograph-watch.jpg

rage2
03-10-2010, 01:59 PM
w00p ;)
The 24 is next on my list. Calgary Jewelery already knows to get one for me as soon as it's available. It should be announced in a week at Basel.

ICEBERG
03-10-2010, 02:04 PM

The 24 is next on my list. Calgary Jewelery already knows to get one for me as soon as it's available. It should be announced in a week at Basel.

Same here. Jeff will get one for me soon as becomes available.

EDIT: Just found out you can get one right now for like $128 dollars.:D

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn222/icegberg70/picphp.jpg

ICEBERG
03-10-2010, 02:54 PM
Man, i want one of these for my collection. $hit, I want all of them.. Cool..:D

LEGO Star Wars watches...

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/4/2010/03/500x_legoswwatch.jpg

ICEBERG
03-10-2010, 02:57 PM
Hmmm.. Don't know about this one? Unfortunately, only 16 watches will be produced. So enjoy the picture.

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/4/2010/03/500x_hotwatch.jpg

rage2
03-10-2010, 05:34 PM
haha shit, looks like we'll both be fighting for the first one! :rofl:

EDIT: Just found out you can get one right now for like $128 dollars.:D
There's a better rep of the Monaco 24. It's got a chinese 7750 movement in it. About $300.

rvecMKj0jIo

My bro wears it. For a replica, it looks pretty good. Only problem is it's way thicker than the concept, the seconds is at 3 instead of at 9 (which makes zero sense for the indicators), and centrifugal is spelt wrong. For what it is, it looks pretty good haha.

Zewind
03-10-2010, 05:42 PM
Hmmm.. Don't know about this one? Unfortunately, only 16 watches will be produced. So enjoy the picture.

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/4/2010/03/500x_hotwatch.jpg

Damn thats nice

ICEBERG
03-10-2010, 08:18 PM

My bro wears it. For a replica, it looks pretty good. Only problem is it's way thicker than the concept, the seconds is at 3 instead of at 9 (which makes zero sense for the indicators), and centrifugal is spelt wrong. For what it is, it looks pretty good haha.

That's a freaking nice looking fake. It is Scary how good these fakes are getting these days. That's the best one i seen so far on this watch.

rage2
03-10-2010, 08:26 PM
That's a freaking nice looking fake. It is Scary how good these fakes are getting these days. That's the best one i seen so far on this watch.
There was a fellow beyonder who stopped by my office with his rep Carrera day/date so we could do a comparison. It's so good that it would be impossible to tell it's a rep, unless it's sitting beside a genuine watch. Even the fonts were near perfect, it was just very very slightly different in size. Since both watches have the 7750 movement, it's near impossible to tell apart. The rotor was pretty much identical, and so was the case size.

For watches that have lots of good reps out there, I buy it new from Calgary Jewelry. For watches that don't have a good rep out in the market, I look for those on the used market. Pays to keep up to date on whats out there in the rep world. Too sketchy to try to buy a used watch in the market where there are some near perfect reps. Hell, they're even making box and papers for a lot of watches!

That.Guy.S30
03-10-2010, 10:16 PM
^ Rage how much was the monico?
The guy at Calgary jeweller said they were discontinued.

rage2
03-10-2010, 10:38 PM
The Monaco I picked up is the Calibre 17 McQueen (ref CW2113), which is discontinued. It retailed at $4500cdn when it was available. I picked it up at a lot less than that. :D

It's replaced by the current model McQueen, which is a Calibre 12 (ref CAW2111) that retails for $5200cdn. The difference is the movement, the case (new one is a little bit wider at 39mm vs 38mm), and it uses saphire for the crystal, vs plexiglass on the discontinued model.

I preferred the CW2113 version as the case is identical to the 40th Anniversary Re-edition Limited Edition, which is very close to the original.

Wish I could justify the re-edition, that watch is selling for crack money these days.

Sailz
03-11-2010, 08:26 PM

There was a fellow beyonder who stopped by my office with his rep Carrera day/date so we could do a comparison. It's so good that it would be impossible to tell it's a rep, unless it's sitting beside a genuine watch. Even the fonts were near perfect, it was just very very slightly different in size. Since both watches have the 7750 movement, it's near impossible to tell apart. The rotor was pretty much identical, and so was the case size.

For watches that have lots of good reps out there, I buy it new from Calgary Jewelry. For watches that don't have a good rep out in the market, I look for those on the used market. Pays to keep up to date on whats out there in the rep world. Too sketchy to try to buy a used watch in the market where there are some near perfect reps. Hell, they're even making box and papers for a lot of watches!

Hey some of these replicas you guys have been posting seem pretty sweet. Ive taken a look at Repgeek and was wondering who you guys use for a dealer?

Thanks

Cos
03-12-2010, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Sailz

Hey some of these replicas you guys have been posting seem pretty sweet. Ive taken a look at Repgeek and was wondering who you guys use for a dealer?

Thanks

WBK out of the US is pretty good for A7750 and Josh out of China is good for ETA7750

Str1der
03-12-2010, 05:50 PM
Just picked up a "poor mans aerospace":

http://i40.tinypic.com/3442kio.jpg

It came with a really comfortable natural rubber Hirsch strap:

http://i42.tinypic.com/ba8u9.jpg

I much prefer the XLS MT's appearance over the too busy looking aerospace; which works out perfectly as I was happy to save the $2335.

rob the knob
03-12-2010, 06:10 PM
how good are the replicas in terms of durability and longevity? only look good when and be outlasted by a timex or look good and work good longtime? and maintenance need like real thing and repair possible?

Pacman
03-12-2010, 06:26 PM
You guys have some cool stuff.

This is all I have left after liquidating most of my watches.

It uses a 7750 that is modified by Sinn to get the 3,6,9 layout for the subdials. It has a quickset date which differentiates it from the 7753 (which also has the 3,6,9 layout).

Only problem is, Sinn won't sell the proprietary parts to anyone, so it would have to go back to Germany for a simple fix, which could be done easily by any local watchmaker if they had the parts.

http://constipatedmonkey.com/sinn.jpg

jaylo
03-12-2010, 11:00 PM
Here's my contribution, although not as ballin' as you guys are...

Been wearing Swatch watches for about 20 years now

Swatch 'Simply Pure' Chrono Automatic 2010
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad174/jaylophotos/watches/DSC04803r.jpg

http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad174/jaylophotos/watches/DSC04804r.jpg

Decided to get these as it looks amazing for me, Citizen Nighthawk WR200
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad174/jaylophotos/watches/DSC04806r.jpg

Pacman
03-12-2010, 11:08 PM
What kind of movement is in that Swatch auto chrono?

The rotor almost looks like an old Lemania 5100

jaylo
03-12-2010, 11:22 PM
What kind of movement is in that Swatch auto chrono?

The rotor almost looks like an old Lemania 5100

"This new Irony Chrono Automatic collection features the new ETA caliber C01-211 movement with a 46-hour power reserve. It is based on the famed Lemania 5100 movement from the 1970s"

Wow, you know your movements :D

BlueGoblin
03-13-2010, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by jaylo
Here's my contribution, although not as ballin' as you guys are...
Decided to get these as it looks amazing for me, Citizen Nighthawk WR200
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad174/jaylophotos/watches/DSC04806r.jpg

I've had one of these for a few years now; it's a great functional watch, tough as nails, and looks good too. It's worth learning to use the bezel calculator too; I actually do use it. Although I fly, it's too fiddly and small to use in the plane, but I've used it to do time/distance calculations sailing, and as well fuel consumption/range calc on motorcycle trips.

Mibz
03-13-2010, 11:12 PM
Big news for rage2:
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2010/3/10521.html

Luxury Swiss watch brand Hublot is proud to announce that it has been appointed the Official Watchmaker of Formula 1™ and as part of this multi-year agreement will produce a range of high tech, limited edition, luxury Formula 1™ watches and exploit the additional designation ‘Hublot - The Official Watch of Formula 1™’ on an exclusive and global basis.

Weapon_R
03-14-2010, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by rob the knob
how good are the replicas in terms of durability and longevity? only look good when and be outlasted by a timex or look good and work good longtime? and maintenance need like real thing and repair possible?

The asian movement is okay and they are cheap enough to replace, but I'd rather rock a timex than wear a rep and try and pass it off as the real deal.

rage2
03-15-2010, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
Big news for rage2:
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2010/3/10521.html
Pics of the F1 watch. Looks like every other big bang but with a F1 logo.

http://blog.perpetuelle.com/wp-content/uploads/hublot-king-power-f1-close.jpg

http://blog.perpetuelle.com/wp-content/uploads/hublot-king-power-f1.jpg

TAG Heuer preview before Basel:
nX2yu29XGwY

Shows the new TAG Heuer Carrera Cal 1887 at the last 10 seconds of video. Personally, not a big fan of the new look.

Redlyne_mr2
03-15-2010, 06:34 PM
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k217/Rexchris66/IMG_2216.jpg
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k217/Rexchris66/IMG_2218.jpg
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k217/Rexchris66/IMG_2217.jpg

rage2
03-15-2010, 07:06 PM
So did you buy it?

jutes
03-15-2010, 10:18 PM
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but its sick, imo, lol.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b264/eworth/Subaru%20Misc/Picture5-1.png

$500. :nut:

Mibz
03-15-2010, 10:21 PM
I wonder if they make watches for '01 Jeep Cherokees.

benyl
03-15-2010, 10:32 PM
http://dotlemon.com/img/p/28-56-thickbox.jpg

CivicCoupe09
03-16-2010, 01:03 PM
http://www.datazap.net/sites/1626/Seiko/SNDA53P1/SNDA53P1-3.JPG

rage2
03-17-2010, 04:13 PM
Production Monaco 24's at the TAG Heuer factory:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4030/4438394755_1c91034dbb_b.jpg

Dibs! :D

Basel starts tomorrow, official announcement should be made then.

rage2
03-18-2010, 11:05 AM
TAG Heuer Grand Carrera Pendulum Concept

Hairspring is replaced by 4 high powered magnets to generate the same force to allow the balance wheel to oscillate. Not as cool as the V4 belt system, but still pretty cool. Runs at 43200bph, so even faster than El Primero/Calibre 36.

ZNtvxzY47aE

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4060/4441336148_9b11514a6e_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4060/4441336148_9b11514a6e_b.jpg

benyl
03-18-2010, 11:19 AM
Wow, that is a Tag that I could see myself buying.

rage2
03-18-2010, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by benyl
Wow, that is a Tag that I could see myself buying.
It'll be a few years. It's their first prototype of the movement, and they're still trying to work around the temperature sensitivity problems. It'll most likely be a very limited run, like the Monaco V4. Expect V4 pricing, which is currently on the used market in the 60k range.

The watch is a massive 47mm. That pendulum takes up a lot of room.

benyl
03-18-2010, 11:34 AM
I wonder how they will deal with magnetic interference.

Expect V4 pricing, which is currently on the used market in the 60k range.

Trade for a C63? haha

Destinova403
03-18-2010, 11:37 AM
damn thats cool... at first glance i thought it was a tourbillon

still like the V4 better though but for the price id get a Vacheron

ICEBERG
03-18-2010, 04:55 PM

Production Monaco 24's at the TAG Heuer factory:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4030/4438394755_1c91034dbb_b.jpg

Dibs! :D

Basel starts tomorrow, official announcement should be made then.

Sh!t... Going to phone jeff tomorrow.... Bottom left one is mine...:D

Cos
03-29-2010, 10:37 AM
New releases at Basel. Some of them look really cool. The B&R looks really good this year. The radio controlled Citizen is pretty cool. The Breitling SOII is nice, james bond style numbering.

Best of all is the new Tag Monaco....... Calling Rage ;)

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/03/basel-watch-fair/all/1

ercchry
03-29-2010, 10:49 AM
sick!

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/gadgetlab/2010/03/watch_10a.jpg

rage2
03-29-2010, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Cos
Best of all is the new Tag Monaco....... Calling Rage ;)
I thought I showed you those 2 Heuer re-editions on the weekend? The Heuer Monaco PVD, Heuer 300 SLR and the Monaco 24 are on my list right now... haha.

Cos
03-29-2010, 11:25 AM

I thought I showed you those 2 Heuer re-editions on the weekend? The Heuer Monaco PVD, Heuer 300 SLR and the Monaco 24 are on my list right now... haha.

haha yeah you did. Honestly I was so shocked by all the different styles you could shown this one to me in person and I wouldnt have remembered.

Destinova403
03-29-2010, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Cos
The Breitling SOII is nice, james bond style numbering.

Dare i buy another superocean? that looks damn nice.

Weapon_R
03-29-2010, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Destinova403

Dare i buy another superocean? that looks damn nice.

Hey Destinova do you sell IWC watches?

flipstah
03-29-2010, 01:26 PM
sick!

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/gadgetlab/2010/03/watch_10a.jpg

SICK! Please tell me you can use different timezones, right?

ME WANT. :drool: