PDA

View Full Version : Where can I get some 3000 grit wet/dry papers

sneek
04-20-2007, 02:45 PM
I have searched this already:
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/130299/wetsanding-paper/

But I am sure that the County Hills as well as the Dalhousie Canadian Tire don't have 3000 grit. (used to work there)

Anyways does anyone know of a good place to get some finishing papers? I know Acklands has the papers that go on a pneumatic D/A, but I don't know if I have seen the hand sanding papers.

:P I am currently on hold with a NAPA store, but its not sounding good.

Thanks in Advance

Just in case you are wondering why I need 3000, it is because some asshole spray painted a headlight on a car I am about to detail.

bbcustoms
04-20-2007, 02:56 PM
Any body shop supply store should have it
CMAX
Carlson
One of those should have it

bbcustoms
04-20-2007, 02:59 PM
I know there is also a creme with very fine grit (like 2500) in it which might be more gentle on a headlight
I cant remember what its called but if you ask them they can probally tell you

sneek
04-20-2007, 03:00 PM
:(
NAPA
730 16 Avenue NW, Calgary, AB T2M 0J8

didn't have it and they are a CMAX.

3M is good, but Meguiar's/Nikken is better. I like the idea of having a uniform abrasive.

bbcustoms
04-20-2007, 03:04 PM
Napa wont carry it
CMAX is a totally seperate division you have to call CMAX directly

sneek
04-20-2007, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by bbcustoms
I know there is also a creme with very fine grit (like 2500) in it which might be more gentle on a headlight
I cant remember what its called but if you ask them they can probally tell you

A physically abrasive plastic polish?

I am going to try Meguiar's PlastX, then if that doesn't work Optimum Hyper Compound, but I am pretty sure I need to sand it.

sneek
04-20-2007, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by bbcustoms
Napa wont carry it
CMAX is a totally seperate division you have to call CMAX directly

Oh great thank!!!

sneek
04-20-2007, 05:14 PM
:( CMax doesn't have it in stock. Anyone else? :burnout:

gofastmerc
04-20-2007, 08:29 PM
A rubbing compound should take it off. You shouldn't need to sand it.

gofastmerc
04-20-2007, 08:56 PM
A rubbing compound should take it off. You shouldn't need to sand it.

KKY
04-20-2007, 10:16 PM
Have you tried calgary auto body supplies? i think it is there that i got my 2500 and 1500 3M. they may have 3000, i didn't look. i think they have the Meguiar's sanding block, but no Meguiar's sand paper

sneek
04-20-2007, 10:28 PM
:D that will do. Too bad Richard couldn't update SCD with the wetwedge :(.

gofastmerc: A rubbing compound would work, but I really don't think it is the least aggresive method. Using sand paper is like using a very controlled compound. With a compound you might be removing a lot of film build from one area, but not another. Sanding on the other hand is more uniform.

gofastmerc
04-20-2007, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by sneek
:D that will do. Too bad Richard couldn't update SCD with the wetwedge :(.

gofastmerc: A rubbing compound would work, but I really don't think it is the least aggresive method. Using sand paper is like using a very controlled compound. With a compound you might be removing a lot of film build from one area, but not another. Sanding on the other hand is more uniform.

After you sand it how are going to get it shine? Rubbing compound, then finer polish, ect...

Most spray paint comes off like butter anyway, it would save trying to polish the sand scratches out.

But your method would work, not saying it won't. but I think worrying about taking it off uniformly, ( is that a word??) is because you are thinking too much. Hell, I bet if you took some glaze to it, the spray paint would come off.

I would try it at least. But if you are a detailer, should have some fine paper and polishes lying around anyway?

sneek
04-20-2007, 10:57 PM
I don't really detail for money that often because I work pretty slowly. :P I only have some 2000 lying around.

Usually the least aggresive method would be to use mineral spirits or WD-40, but it's been on there for almost a year. I tried using a light chemical paint cleaner, but it was taking too long.

I might take a modified version of your approach in a few days. I am going to use Optimum Hyper Compound and mask off the rest of the light.

JDMsomething
04-21-2007, 11:18 PM
I believes canadian tire sells up to 2000 wet/dry, and even up to 4000 i think....cheap too!

sneek
04-21-2007, 11:30 PM
I'm fairly certain Canadian Tire doesn't unless they started after September. I used to work in Autoparts...but really all i knew was detailing so I am almost positive that they only have sheets of 3M 2000 grit.

BoS_DC2
04-24-2007, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by JDMsomething
I believes canadian tire sells up to 2000 wet/dry, and even up to 4000 i think....cheap too!

I saw a variety of sand paper at CT, maybe it's just us in BC that gets the good stuff? :dunno:

:goflames:

legendboy
04-24-2007, 03:27 PM
why would u possibly need 3000 grit

Calgarydetail
04-24-2007, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by legendboy
why would u possibly need 3000 grit

3000 gritt works really well for wet sanding. as well as i belive sneek needs it for head light restoration, but im not sure on that

sneek
04-25-2007, 04:13 PM
3000 grit won't do much on paint, unless the clear is ultra soft. 2500 grit is usually where I would start for paint. The reason I need 3000 grit is because I need to carefully remove some spray paint from a head light. I have already tried WD-40 odorless mineral spirits and a light paint cleaner. When I see the car again I will hit is with OHC much like gofastmerc said. I have a feeling the car has a really thin clear over the lights, so I am trying to be conservative. If the owner wants more done then I might try OHC by drill and 2" polishing pad.