PDA

View Full Version : Help: Unregistered Vehicle Ticket

H4LFY2nR
04-20-2007, 10:39 PM
Due to my own stupidity, I recieved a ticket for operating an unregistered vehicle tonight. My plates have been expired for a couple weeks now, and the irony of it is that I realized this last night. I have a major final exam tomorrow, and I planned to renew my registration after the test, therefore saving me some study time. I'm kicking myself HARD for that one. Now I fully agree that I should have renewed earlier, but I totally forgot as I've been going through the most intense semester of my life.

My understanding of this ticket is that it's pretty major to insurance companies as it implies that I was trying to cheat the system (??comparable to driving without insurance??). I was wondering if it will affect my insurance and if there is a possibility of getting it reduced if I show valid registration and plead my case that I had full intentions of renewing?

Thanks

tictactoe2004
04-20-2007, 10:48 PM
nah, i've picked up about 3 or 4 of those between both my cars in the last few years lol... my insurance didnt budge. hahaha i check my mail once every couple months so I usually forget hahaha

H4LFY2nR
04-20-2007, 11:09 PM
k cool. Do you know if it shows on a driver's abstract or not? Does it count as a moving violation?

This really frustrates me because I could have renewed today but I chose not to :banghead:

Kaos
04-20-2007, 11:18 PM
^^ no it doesn't.
You weren't speeding or breaking any traffic laws.
Simple human error.
It's like getting a ticket for tinted windows.

TomcoPDR
04-20-2007, 11:44 PM
I usually just pay them online once I receive the renewal notice. (yea, or just explain to the officer it's in the process cuz you renewed online) Edit: of course then, he'll probably ask for the online receipt.

H4LFY2nR
04-20-2007, 11:52 PM
Ya I was dissapointed that I still recieved the ticket after telling her the honest truth. Oh well, you win some, you lose some. Just a shitty waste of $230.

Supa Dexta
04-21-2007, 07:40 AM
Cops did me a "favour" once and gave me one of those, as opposed to somthing much more serious... I don't even count it as a ticket. ha..

01RedDX
04-21-2007, 01:51 PM

Deetz
04-21-2007, 03:32 PM
True, its a waste of money. I rember a few years ago when it was no big deal, i got one, it was a $25 fine.

Traffic_Cop
04-21-2007, 03:40 PM
Its an adminstration fine...basically what that means is it will not show on your abstract or affect your insurance.

TomcoPDR
04-21-2007, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Traffic_Cop
Its an adminstration fine...basically what that means is it will not show on your abstract or affect your insurance.

Are you really a "traffic cop?" :dunno: just curious

And your user / trader rating might suffer.

90_Shelby
04-21-2007, 06:21 PM
Becareful with those tickets..... I had a dick cop who had my car towed and impounded 2 blocks from my house for having expired registration. Luckily the walk home wasn't far.

H4LFY2nR
04-22-2007, 02:00 AM
Ya, she reminded me that she was nice enough not to tow my car

JordanAndrew
04-22-2007, 02:08 AM
Well as long as the vehicle is insured, then you are ok to still drive it. Like what traffic cop said, it's basically a money grab, you can try and lower it if try. I had mine tossed away one time but that was because I had a bigger issue with another ticket and I had to bargain.

PS. I think, from what I've known, Traffic_cop is an actual cop.

Mazstyle
04-22-2007, 09:14 AM
$230? wow thats cheap, in SK it's like $565.....

mekeni
04-22-2007, 09:27 AM
when i got pulled over I said I am on my way to register it, so the cop proceeded to accompany me to AMA... lol, no tickets :thumbsup:

and yeah, your insurance should not go up.

kvanderlaag
04-22-2007, 12:38 PM
I definitely just got a 'failure to produce proof of registration' ticket' last night. New car, haven't had time to get it OOP'ed yet because I still need to do two more things to it, and the weather is awful. $115 ticket, but it could have been worse. The cops were actually quite nice about it. I certainly appreciate that they react to red flags that a vehicle may be stolen.

However, I was also doing 20 over when they first spotted me, so I'm not complaining about the way that turned out, either.

ricosuave
04-22-2007, 02:00 PM
WTF is it with everyone who thinks that driving around without registration is OK?:eek:

Frosty
04-22-2007, 02:31 PM
I feel your pain H4LFY2nR. I got one Friday morning, only I had the sticker on my liscense plate, I just hadn't thrown the paper registration in the glovebox yet (had the expired one in there). I got a "failure to produce" ticket, $172 even though my plate had the legit sticker.

I asked the cop the same question...if it's a demerits ticket. He said no, it's not a moving violation, just a CPS cashcow, maybe not in those exact words ;)

Isaiah
04-22-2007, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Frosty
just a CPS cashcow, maybe not in those exact words ;)
That, my friend, is a whole other thread.

kvanderlaag
04-22-2007, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by ricosuave
WTF is it with everyone who thinks that driving around without registration is OK?:eek:

What do you suggest I drive while I try to get some asshole shop to get it in for an OOP when they have other, more expensive things to do for other people? =)

codetrap
04-23-2007, 08:19 AM
This reminds me of an incident a few years ago when I had the subaru. It had gotten backed into when I was at wing chun, so I went in to file a police report. The cop got this funny look on his face, then started giving me the big lecture about my registration. I just kinda stood there looking blankly at him. It was Jun 02, my plate was up in May. He was going to write me as many tickets as he could. I was of course polite, apologetic, and more than happy to say, "Hey, how about I walk across the street, re-register it, and do all that, then come back here and we'll start over."

So I toddled across the street, and lo an behold, I ended up having to pay an outstanding photo ticket from my ex, license renewal, and registration. Turned out to be an expensive little trip. Went back, filed my police report and on my merry way. Talk about a close one. Failure to appear, failure to register... on top of the damage to my car. That woulda really been a good day! :thumbsup:

Toms-SC
04-23-2007, 08:42 AM
http://www.izipik.com/images/20070414/n9hemwl3ga6xlhye28-pgio.gif

ricosuave
04-25-2007, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by kvanderlaag

What do you suggest I drive while I try to get some asshole shop to get it in for an OOP when they have other, more expensive things to do for other people? =)

you DONT drive, duh