PDA

View Full Version : Banned In Bc

adamc
04-21-2007, 12:29 PM
Well I'm banned from driving in BC apparently..

I'm in my hometown of Kelowna for the weekend, visiting some friends, was driving home last night at 4am in one of my parents vehicles, pulled over about 2 blocks from home.
Nice f**king luck! :thumbsdow

I have an Alberta license now, since I live in Calgary, but also a pretty decent collection of speeding violations back here in BC - most of which sit unpaid.

So rather than issuing me a speeding ticket last night (I was going above the RETARDED 50km/hr limit on a quiet country road) he informs me that I am banned from driving in BC for 3 months.

Have to follow up with the ministry to see if that means I can't drive my Alberta insured vehicle, or just BC vehicles, pretty sure it's both.

I will pre-empt the haters by posting a :whocares:

Just wanted to see if anybody else has had experience with this situation.

DC2
04-21-2007, 12:35 PM
Is your DL from BC or AB?

If its from Alberta, maybe its like losing your license for a few months, but the BC Police cant take it away?:dunno:

adamc
04-21-2007, 12:46 PM
I have an alberta license :(

HERE, I made a sweet graphic.

http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/986/lolcd4.jpg

Sharpie
04-21-2007, 12:48 PM
So you have a whole bunch of un paid speeding tickets that you know of... Yet you still speed thinking your AB lisence makes you un touchable?

qbnb
04-21-2007, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by adamc
I have an alberta license :(

HERE, I made a sweet graphic.

http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/986/lolcd4.jpg
That is seriously one sweet graphic. Sorry about your luck.

DC2
04-21-2007, 12:57 PM
how fast were you going?

adamc
04-21-2007, 01:04 PM
I don't want to make myself sound like more of a dumbass, but I was going pretty fast.

I know it's not an excuse for speeding, but the road is EMPTY after 10pm, and it's way up in the mountains, fun to hit the twistys with some speed..

The convo went something like this:

Officer: So, do you know why I pulled you over?
Me: I think I was going a bit fast back there (no attitude)

Officer: Yah, you were doing like 120!
Me: :( sorry

Officer: Where are you heading?
Me: home, my place is about 3 blocks up the road

Officer: Oke dokey, be right back (he was a nice younger guy)
Me: "aw fuck"

Comes back about 20 minutes later, says I can't drive in BC for 3 months, and that I have til 9am to get wherever I'm heading.

So I thanked him, and was on my way.
Years ago I would have given him mad attitude, but I've long since learned my lesson on that one. :thumbsup:

Sharpie: didn't realize they could pull your driving privileges for that, it's new inter-province cooperation or something.

Toms-SC
04-21-2007, 01:19 PM
LOL! Serves you right. Would have been better if you got arrested and your car towed. Consider yourself lucky.

While you can't drive you can say your doing your part for Kyoto accord.

BlueGoblin
04-21-2007, 01:22 PM
Suspended in British Columbia, Suspended in Alberta too:

Traffic Safety Act

Prohibition re driving while unauthorized

94(1) For the purposes of this section, a person is an unauthorized driver if

(a) that person’s operator’s licence is suspended or cancelled under this Act,

(b) that person is disqualified from driving a motor vehicle in Alberta,

(c) that person’s licence or permit to operate a motor vehicle in a jurisdiction outside Alberta is suspended or cancelled, or

(d) that person’s privilege to secure a licence or permit to operate a motor vehicle in a jurisdiction outside Alberta is suspended or cancelled.

(2) A person shall not drive a motor vehicle on a highway at any time during which that person is an unauthorized driver.

RSA 2000 cT‑6 s94;2003 c42 s15

Punishment re driving while disqualified

95(1) A person who is guilty of contravening section 94 is liable

(a) for a first offence to a fine of not more than $2000 and in default of payment to a term of imprisonment of not less than 14 days nor more than 6 months, and

(b) for each subsequent offence committed within one year after the commission of the offence referred to in clause (a), to imprisonment for a term of not less than 14 days nor more than 6 months.

BlueGoblin
04-21-2007, 01:24 PM
**oops - double post**

Looks like you have three months of pedestrianism ahead of you.

Driving whilst suspended in Alberta also will result in a 30 day seizure of whatever vehicle you are driving.

adamc
04-21-2007, 01:26 PM
shit, that's good to know I guess..

if I'm reading that right, you're not authorized to drive in alberta if you're not legally able to obtain a license in BC?

that seems pretty crazy to me, but whatever..

I have a spotless record in Alberta, and the violations are a few years old in BC, I will be writing to the Ministry in BC to see if I can get the suspension reduced and pay off those tickets.

l8braker
04-21-2007, 08:00 PM
Sorry to hear man.

:thumbsdow

mekeni
04-22-2007, 10:01 AM
yup, just pay of teh tickets.. and :thumbsup: for your mad ms paint skillz

ricosuave
04-22-2007, 10:55 AM
so, let me get this straight.

you have 'a pretty decent collection' of unpaid bc speeding tickets

you were going 60km over the posted speed limit and about to get another one

you brag about 'how you learned your lesson' about not mouthing off to a cop?

and you complain about the fact that one provinces rules may apply to another?

hmm, ya think that maybe the problem is not with the cop, or the rules, but with you? you shouldn't be getting any sympathy from anyone.

:drama:

BoS_DC2
04-22-2007, 11:13 AM
Oh wow, that's pretty harsh, those tickets always find a way to get you back lol.

I wonder if it would be much stricter if you lived in Ontario rather than BC/AB.

Off the topic: Is it still a 20 question test to get your learners in AB?

Isaiah
04-22-2007, 11:19 AM
Didn't dish you a ticket? Before assuming that your driving privileges are revoked in AB, I would head down to Rocky Mtn Plaza or your local registry and check with them.

The inter-provincial suspension seems a little iffy. I had a friend relocate from Ontario (where his license was suspended for unpaid fines) to Alberta and he was able to obtain a license without any difficulty.

Dayclone
04-22-2007, 11:39 AM
Wow I think I should buy some land and pave some roads for you... then u can go w.e. limit u want heh..

Sorry about your luck man, that's shitty... Goodluck on getting a fine though instead of license suspension.

Steve

DayGlow
04-22-2007, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Isaiah
Didn't dish you a ticket? Before assuming that your driving privileges are revoked in AB, I would head down to Rocky Mtn Plaza or your local registry and check with them.

The inter-provincial suspension seems a little iffy. I had a friend relocate from Ontario (where his license was suspended for unpaid fines) to Alberta and he was able to obtain a license without any difficulty.

that's because the registry screwed up. I've seen people like that and I've still siezed their car. They are a suspended driver and can't be on the road.

adamc
04-22-2007, 02:39 PM
lol at ricosuave thinking I'm trying for any sort of sympathy.

I'm merely telling a story, and asking for some advice, I had no idea that inter-provincial thing was in effect now.

It's all really ok, I'm not going to take any chances and drive when I'm back in Alberta, going to write the minister in BC and have it reduced to a few weeks (hopefully, I've done this successfully before) and take my lumps like a man.

I just found it hilarious how close I was to home, I guess that's just bad karma coming back around to bite me.

Euro///Tuned
04-22-2007, 03:33 PM
Your MS Skills are off the hook! :D

I also have an unpaid ticket in BC, I should look into paying it before heading out to the lake this summer. Thanks for the helpful thread. :thumbsup:

Sharpie
04-22-2007, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Dayclone
Wow I think I should buy some land and pave some roads for you... then u can go w.e. limit u want heh..

Sorry about your luck man, that's shitty... Goodluck on getting a fine though instead of license suspension.

Steve
OMG we found adamc's b/f...

barbarian
04-22-2007, 09:11 PM
lol at ricosuave thinking I'm trying for any sort of sympathy.

I'm merely telling a story, and asking for some advice, I had no idea that inter-provincial thing was in effect now.

It's all really ok, I'm not going to take any chances and drive when I'm back in Alberta, going to write the minister in BC and have it reduced to a few weeks (hopefully, I've done this successfully before) and take my lumps like a man.

I just found it hilarious how close I was to home, I guess that's just bad karma coming back around to bite me.
If you have a history of problems like this, you may really want to look into getting an econobox that can't go very fast for a while. I'd hate to see what your insurance bill is like.

Supa Dexta
04-23-2007, 12:46 PM
Officer: So, do you know why I pulled you over?
Me: I think I was going a bit fast back there (no attitude)

Officer: Yah, you were doing like 120!
Me: :( sorry

(I was going above the RETARDED 50km/hr limit on a quiet country road)

Originally posted by ricosuave
so, let me get this straight.
you were going 60km over the posted speed limit and about to get another one

50, 120, 60....? Hrmmm, nope I'll have to grab a calculator...

hoamic11
04-23-2007, 02:05 PM
so why didn't you pay your unpaid bc tickets?
how many were there?

JRSC00LUDE
04-23-2007, 07:02 PM
I will pre-empt the haters by posting a :whocares:

Hmmm, that won't stop me! That's exactly what I was thinking after reading the part about your collection of unpaid tickets. An irresponsible person loses their license after basically holding the carrot out in front of the rabbit so to speak......yeah, :whocares: indeed. Guess you should have paid them there tickets hey bubba?

kylemitz
04-23-2007, 07:32 PM
so... they speed limit was RETARDED... yet you still went 120? Even if the speed limit was 110, you were still speeding, so quit your bitching... seems like some people wont learn their lesson, and have to much money for their own good.

adamc
04-24-2007, 02:21 AM
for the record all (2) of those unpaid tickets were from a few years ago, young and dumb as they say.

I paid some of it at the time, and actually forgot about the rest since I had moved to Alberta.

And fwiw, I wasn't going anywhere NEAR 120, it's only 50km/hr because there is a school nearby (I adhere to the limit during the day).

I think I was probably doing maybe 90, 120 coming into that uphill left hand corner would have been a big mistake :)

ricosuave
04-25-2007, 03:10 PM
^
sounds like youre still dumb, maybe not young if youre still doing 50 or 60 over a speed limit (cop told you it was 120) - not really sure why you mention the speed limit and what you do during the day...

and you 'forgot' about the bc tickets, well, i guess you just got 'reminded' about them, huh?

MackDawg
04-25-2007, 03:13 PM
im banned from driving in BC also man so dont feel so bad

adamc
04-25-2007, 07:42 PM
nice..

can I get a ride? :dunno: :D

ah I live downtown so I don't really need to drive anyway, wrote the minister a nice letter asking for the suspension to be adjusted to a month.

I talked to another rcmp about this the other day, he says it wouldn't have mattered if I was going exactly the speedlimit, they pull 90% of people over at that time of night anyway.

oh well. thread closed.