PDA

View Full Version : Fricken huge pothole cause 2 flats :(

dr_jared88
04-22-2007, 03:47 AM
Ok so I was just on my way home, coming up center ave making a right hand turn on to Barlow when I hit a huge, and I meant HUGE pot hole. The damn thing came half way up to my knee. Anyway, long story short I hit the pothole and it blew two of my tires. Is there anyway I can send a letter to the city to request them help with my repairs?

[rant]
And secondly here is my Calgary driver rant. First off, I'm stranded on the road... believe it or not I do not have two spares in my car. Not a single person would stop to see if I needed help. Even two cops drove by, yet neither of them would stop. Now I realize people have better things to do... but back in Saskatchewan this wouldn't have been an issue.

So thats one thing, but the second thing is I'm pulled off on the shoulder of Barlow; a two lane road. It's freaking dead out cause it's three in the morning so the far lane is wide open. However, not one car the whole time we were there would use it. They used the fricken lane right next to my car. I yelled at one guy that simply said, "Oh, I never saw you". It's pitch black and my hazards are blinking. If you can't see that.... then you shouldn't be driving. Not ever the cops moved over to the other lane.

I just don't understand drivers here.... I'm sorry, I'm just a little pissed off.

[/end rant]

95EagleAWD
04-22-2007, 04:01 AM
Nice to know in a morbid way that I'm not the only one who blew out tonight.

Slammed a pothole at 80 or so, blew the tire out, bent the rim pretty bad. Found out an STI spare fits on an NSX.

Thanks in advance to the City of Edmonton for the new tire and rim. I'll call tomorrow. :thumbsdow

Amysicle
04-22-2007, 08:05 AM
No idea if the city ever pays for repairs, but if you call into their 3-1-1 line, maybe they'll get that pothole fixed so it doesn't happen again.

/////AMG
04-22-2007, 08:59 AM
That sucks. When my transmission seized up on me about 4-5 years ago I got tons of help. Maybe because it was rush hour on 52nd (Castleridge) and the fact I was blocking on lane.
About 4 different cars pulled up and said they'll help me move the car on the curb, I told them theres no point it's not going anywhere but they insisted.

The only asshole was a bus driver who pulled up next to us (when I got a lift home) and started ranting and raving that we are blocking traffic, etc.

Dayclone
04-22-2007, 09:26 AM
Dude I've seen too many potholes and I think as citizens we should fill it ourself lol...

and I hate potholes!

As for your comment on back in Saskachewan

This is Calgary, and society had become more dangerous than
ever, I wouldn't want to stop for you either (no offence).
It's just were probably all paranoid, and who knows if you had
a gun and wanted to jack my car or something...

Steve

Lo)2enz0
04-22-2007, 09:48 AM
i know the pot hole your talking about, just after PNP

i almost hit it on friday night but managed to dodge around it

rc2002
04-22-2007, 11:30 AM
The city is very reluctant to pay out. After months of correspondence and sending in paperwork, they finally told me to screw off. I ended up paying for my damages out of my pocket.

The roads this year are in the worst shape I've ever seen. Lowered cars are going to get owned big time.

Mixalot27
04-22-2007, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
The city is very reluctant to pay out. After months of correspondence and sending in paperwork, they finally told me to screw off. I ended up paying for my damages out of my pocket.

Shocking......I always figured if you complained to the city, Bronconnier would personally bring a check to your door within the hour. :rofl:

95EagleAWD
04-22-2007, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by richardchan2002

The roads this year are in the worst shape I've ever seen. Lowered cars are going to get owned big time.

Calgary's in much better shape than Edmonton. Edmonton has been paying for repairs this year... we'll see how it works out for me.

dr_jared88
04-22-2007, 12:03 PM
Any Ideas of where I can send a letter to at least try?

ricefarmer
04-22-2007, 12:12 PM
I'd say start with contacting your alderman's office. I know this happened to a kid I went to highschool with and apparently the city paid for the repairs. - I don't know if its true or not.

Khyron
04-22-2007, 12:34 PM
I was under the impression that they paid for it if the hole has already been reported. But if you're the first, tough luck.

95EagleAWD
04-23-2007, 02:13 AM
My damage...

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid225/p0e50a3d90011bf74ec36e9d0c5ef027d/e9cd0093.jpg

Grrr....

Mckenzie
04-23-2007, 09:12 AM
If its any consolation I got $1300 from the City of Calgary from an exposed manhole cover that I hit at 100km/hr on Crowchild last year.

It took about 3 months but it worked. Take pics and phone the legal department...be patient and reasonable and it should work out for you.

Sorry to hear about that.

Supa Dexta
04-23-2007, 09:22 AM
I was down to calgary on the weekend and ended up hitting a couple.. one prety bad, that made my pioneer skip, and I've never had that happen before.. Got out and the front tire (40 series) looked flat, but I put the guage on it and it was down to low 20's psi.. Got to a garage and it was fine... Props to enkei rims!...

spikerS
04-23-2007, 09:27 AM
^^ Bingo!

Remember talk to the legal department, and bring up the three C's. Care, Custody and Control. The road belongs to the City of Calgary (custody), CoC decides where to put and remove roads (Control) and lastly, it is the responsibility of the CoC to maintain these roads (care). If they are negligent, it is the responsibility of the CoC to pay for any damages or liability caused as a result.

Expect them to fight you on this, that is thier job, but in the end, they do not have a leg to stand on. No matter what the excuse is, (labour shortage, cash shortage, too many potholes), it is still thier responsibility to maintain the roads.

hope this helps.
Chris

Mixalot27
04-23-2007, 09:49 AM
^^^Out of curiosity, assuming no witnesses, how do you prove that the damage was caused by the pothole in question? Does the city just take your word for it? How to they know you didn't smoke a curb or something and are just trying to get your damages covered? Not saying anyone here is or would do that. Just wondering if and how you would have to prove what caused the damage.

spikerS
04-23-2007, 10:15 AM
pictures and witnesses help. but really, if it did goto court, and you had pictures, it would be up to the CoC to prove that it was not because of the pothole.

88CRX
04-23-2007, 10:34 AM
There is a massive pot hole forming on McLeod Trail in the fast lane going north in the intersection going into the Avenida strip mall area by the Canyon Meadows LRT station. Avoid!

BTW, where do i call to complain?

LilDrunkenSmurf
04-23-2007, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by 88CRX
There is a massive pot hole forming on McLeod Trail in the fast lane going north in the intersection going into the Avenida strip mall area by the Canyon Meadows LRT station. Avoid!

BTW, where do i call to complain?
3-1-1 i believe

Justing
04-23-2007, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Dayclone

This is Calgary, and society had become more dangerous than
ever, I wouldn't want to stop for you either (no offence).
It's just were probably all paranoid, and who knows if you had
a gun and wanted to jack my car or something...

Steve

yea your right. it happens everyday, and i've seen it with my own eyes:rolleyes:

will you grow a pair...srsly

Thud
04-24-2007, 06:47 AM
This time of year all of alberta turns into one big pothole and the frost heavs on the hiway's are just killing my back.
Perhaps we should all just rase our cars an extra 4inchs or more add some cool mud flaps and high side walled tires so we can all look like were ready for the dakar rally.
More and more of the roads up here in etown are forming these really cool car guidein ridges with legnth way's pots holes that alternate from side to side, yellow head between 170st and 156st BEWERE :cry:

sullygully
04-24-2007, 07:01 AM
Thats what we get for living in a province built for trucks. The majority of the population doesn't see it as a problem because their driving on huge tires with lots of suspension travel. The construction workers don't see it because they all drive trucks.

It sucks living in a trucks world don't it.

And about your rave on how calgaryians are oblivious to their surroundings couldn't be any more then true. I dont' have enough fingers to count the amount of times ive seen people not moving over to the next lane to let traffic in from on ramps. Or in a construction zone, with my signal on to get into the next lane because the one i'm in is closing, and watch all the soccer moms floor it just so i cant get it.

No offence to anyone on here, but the majority of calgary drivers are inconsiderate assholes that are only concerned about how fast they can get to the next red light