PDA

View Full Version : HELP: How to install CPU & Cooling Fan to Motherboard?

oz388
04-22-2007, 03:49 PM
Hi guys, I need to remove a P4 CPU from the current motherboard and install it on a new motherboard. Is it an easy work? Do you mind tell me what's to worry about?

thanks!

jdm_jspec
04-22-2007, 03:55 PM
its a pretty simple job
just be gentle. DONT even touch or bend the pins on the processor,when you lift it off the board. to remove and install the heatsink/fan its held on by snap clips on the side if i remember right,and unplug the little wire from the board powering the fan and when you put the fan back on top make sure its center and even and plug the power wire to the fan back in.
also you might want to make sure there is still thermal compound left on the chip .:thumbsup:

Frosty
04-23-2007, 02:29 PM
The removal/install isn't all that hard, just take your time. The thing that gets screwed up most of the time is the re-application of thermal compound. You want just a paper thin layer, no more. If you goop it on there, the compound will be too thick and act as an insulator instead of a good thermal transfer interface. Also, make sure to keep yourself grounded when you work close to the board like that. When I do CPU changes, I turn off the PSU but leave it plugged in. This keeps the case grounded while you work on it, all you have to do it keep one hand or a bare arm on the case at all times and you won't destroy any sensitive parts with ESD.

tyler_durden
04-23-2007, 07:32 PM
try youtube for some video action

oz388
04-24-2007, 06:54 PM
Hi thanks all,

Yes thermal compound is really hard to play with since P4 CPU has "huge" contact area, really hard to spread silicone evenly...I'm not sure if I did good, but my PC is running now, seem ok.

Is there any software or other ways to tell if I applied silicone properly?? how long takes to kill a CPU if silicone applied too much or less?

thanks again for all your helps! :clap: