PDA

View Full Version : What is Next for the Flames?

Pages : [1] 2

ICEBERG
04-23-2007, 05:39 AM
OK guy's

Now the season is over what is next for this team? Fire Playfair? Trade iggy in the summer? Sign Kipper in the off season? Iggy and kipper have 1 year left on their contracts and i don't know if the Calgary Flames can efford to keep both these guy's with the salary cap. I heard on TSN tonight that iggy could be traded this summer. Kipper was great, this guy is like a machine. He is the reason Calgary took this series to 6 games.

Also, what do you do with the older guy's? Do you keep Amonte,Yelle or Conroy? How about Huselius, this guy didn't even show up for the playoffs. Roman Hamrlik, does he stay? I think Phaneuf, Regehr, Tanguay, Kipper, Stuart, McCarty, Langkow might be still here next season. But the rest i think could be traded or gone.

What do you guy's think will happen in the Offseason for the Flames? House cleaning?

Proyecto2000
04-23-2007, 08:24 AM
I dont think the Flames would trade Iggy.

ken-gsr
04-23-2007, 08:28 AM
I dont think the flames will trade iggy aswell. I also think they will keep Conroy, Huselius, and Kipper - I also doubt they will fire Playfair.

I think Harmlik should be given the punt, because he is usless - and takes stupid ass penalties.

I am not so sure about Stuart - he doesn't even want to be here in the first place, I think they will get rid of him.

Si_FlyGuy
04-23-2007, 08:29 AM
The only guy in the league I would trade Iggy for is Crosby, and you all know that ain't going to happen.

Huselius may have been a no-show, but we still need regular season performers to get us into the playoffs. He is still brilliant with the puck, and his playoff skills will come.

I hope that we get someone like Sakic on this team. If not to play, then to coach in some capacity.

Ryan Smyth'll be a good addition if we can get him cheaper than he wants.

I wouldn't bet on McCarthy being here, nor will Friesen and Hamrlik at their current price tags.

adam c
04-23-2007, 08:30 AM
i heard that iggy and kipper will be gone since they take up too much of the salary cap

natejj
04-23-2007, 08:32 AM
Playfair has to go, bring back sutter!

ken-gsr
04-23-2007, 08:39 AM
Sutter is not going to come back. He has said again and again that he does NOT want to coach. That is why he didnt come behind the bench after game 2.

Also their not going to get rid of both Iggy and Kipper (if they get rid of any). If one does go - I would bet that it would be Iggy, I just cant see them letting the best Goalie that ever happend to them leave.

And the only reason Iggy has not been in the headlines - is because he always has 1 or 2 people shadowing him. It shouldnt just be up to one guy, the rest of the guys need to step it up.

orangefreddie
04-23-2007, 08:45 AM
GET RID OF AMONTE ---- He did nothing!!!

Nufy
04-23-2007, 08:51 AM
Right now they are fighting with the Oilers for the best Tee times.....

Many changes to come though I expect...

Oh well...when is the first home game next season ?

Teggy
04-23-2007, 08:52 AM
skating lessons, and shot practice

sputnik
04-23-2007, 08:56 AM
Hopefully they start playing Napolean Dynamite (Leland Irving) next season.

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/writers/allan_muir/06/25/west.grades/p1_062506_flames_getty.jpg

ICEBERG
04-23-2007, 08:59 AM
I think there are 7 or 8 unrestricted free agents in the Flames that could move. Also if anything good comes up for iggy Flames could be interested. Remember guy's at the end this is a Business, Flames have a salary cap they have to keep. If they can efford to keep both iggy on kipper i think they might get new kids from the Farm team for cheap. Like Napolean :)

Supa Dexta
04-23-2007, 09:00 AM
Iggy isn't thaaat good....

Lot of nut huggin' goes along with him, but I say get rid of him and look for a fresh face, because building the team around him isn't cutting it.. In all reality they shouldn't have made the playoffs this yr...

...thats right I said it....

orangefreddie
04-23-2007, 09:01 AM
Irving's not NHL ready, he'll probably play a couple exhibition and that's it next year.

orangefreddie
04-23-2007, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
Iggy isn't thaaat good....

Lot of nut huggin' goes along with him, but I say get rid of him and look for a fresh face, because building the team around him isn't cutting it.. In all reality they shouldn't have made the playoffs this yr...

...thats right I said it....

If management has to choose between Iggy's big salary at renewal, or Kipper's big salary at renewal...

Kipper all the way, and let Iggy go. Kipper carried us to 6 games in the playoffs with no support infront of him, and to 7 against Anaheim last year with no help infront of him.... He's a playoff performer... Imagine what he could do with a solid team infront of him!

ICEBERG
04-23-2007, 09:09 AM
Fan 960 radio was talking about Ryan Smith + some players for Iggy from the N.Y Islanders. Iggy is pushing 8mil and Ryan 6Mill that frees up couple million there. But i hope sutter is not even thinking about this move.:D

ken-gsr
04-23-2007, 09:11 AM
all i know is that 6 of my 10 players in my hockey pool were flames (yeah, yeah, i know). So basically I am fisted.

smontyLS1
04-23-2007, 09:27 AM
I'm hoping the fans and atmosphere of calgary will make those guys want to stay and play here. take a pay cut. I'm dreaming but with a salary cap system thats what you need. people that wanna be where they are, no just where the money is good. and the spelling is afford. no worries I'm just saying.
I said before that I think they need to figure out what type of team they want and build it. because being out shot 55-21 does not make you an offensive team. and we have no one bertuzzi's size.
Its like we're a step behind the other playoff teams. If jerome and kipper want to play in calgary then jerome has to take a cut
so we can get some other people that we need in. I want to see hamrlik gone, he isn't worth half of what he's getting paid.

88CRX
04-23-2007, 09:33 AM
Wow, people have short memories… Iginla not a good player? Ha!

And before everyone starts saying trade the whole team, there really are only a couple key UFA’s that we have to sign.

Calgary Flames

Roman Hamrlik, D (unless he takes a pay cut he’ll be gone… which is fine, he’s over-rated.)
Brad Stuart, D (said he wanted to go back to Cali… gone.)
Tony Amonte, RW (bye bye Tony)
Jeff Friesen, LW (Sutter will resign Friesen, has decent PK skills, will be much cheaper than this year)
Marcus Nilson, C (hope he’s gone)
Wayne Primeau, C (Sutter will resign Primeau, he has been great since he got here, perfect 3rd line centre)
Darren McCarty, RW (will retire)
Jamie McLennan, G (gone, time to bring up one of the young guys, NOT Irving)
Carsen Germyn, RW (VI) (who cares)
Byron Ritchie, C (who cares)
Brad Ference, D (who cares)

Who will fill the roster spots? Taratyukin, Boyd and Prust are all NHL ready. Both McElhinney and Krahn are ready. Obviously Giordano and Moss will be back full time next season.

max_boost
04-23-2007, 09:35 AM
Jarome is not going anywhere. Enough of that crazy talk.

Team_Mclaren
04-23-2007, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by 88CRX

Calgary Flames

Roman Hamrlik, D (unless he takes a pay cut he’ll be gone… which is fine, he’s over-rated.)
Jeff Friesen, LW (Sutter will resign Friesen, has decent PK skills, will be much cheaper than this year)
Wayne Primeau, C (Sutter will resign Primeau, he has been great since he got here, perfect 3rd line centre)

Who will fill the roster spots? Taratyukin, Boyd and Prust are all NHL ready. Both McElhinney and Krahn are ready. Obviously Giordano and Moss will be back full time next season.

in the Flames thread:

Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
wow were talking about offseason signings already eh
between struart and hamrilk. that is tough to choose, other then that, amonte, friesen, Mccarty will go for sure.

I agree with most if not all of your predictions, cept for Hamrlik, I think he'll be somewhat cheaper this year and will stay. I think unless Friesen is much cheaper this year, he's too overpriced right now. Other then that, we are pretty much on the same page. ahaha

btw: where did u find that Straut wants to go back to cali? cause to me, its either him or hamrlik

max_boost
04-23-2007, 09:40 AM
I always wait for 88CRX to post as I generally agree with what he says haha

I'm still shocked how badly we got outplayed by Detroit. We got lost in transition this year. Last year we couldn't score, this year we couldn't keep the pucks out. Exactly what kind of team are we?!

88CRX
04-23-2007, 09:45 AM
I agree with most if not all of your predictions, cept for Hamrlik, I think he'll be somewhat cheaper this year and will stay.

I was thinking he'd be looking for Kuba/Salo/other random ass hack type salary haha. Aren't they all making $3-$4mill/year?

btw: where did u find that Straut wants to go back to cali? cause to me, its either him or hamrlik

It was discussed when we got him... not sure if he's publicly announced it ever. Plus his wife/family still are living in the San Jose area.

Team_Mclaren
04-23-2007, 09:49 AM

I was thinking he'd be looking for Kuba/Salo/other random ass hack type salary haha. Aren't they all making $3-$4mill/year?

at least we are not toronto and pays Mccabe 7 mill. lol
Hamrlik made 3.5 last contract, so i think a low 3 would be reasonable, imo he's a pretty solid first/second line D.

what about Lombardi? he under achieve as well and is a RFA, how much will we sign him for? or will we with that many up-comming prospects.

88CRX
04-23-2007, 09:56 AM
what about Lombardi? he under achieve as well and is a RFA, how much will we sign him for? or will we with that many up-comming prospects.

Flames signed him a couple weeks ago I beleive.

slick2404
04-23-2007, 10:11 AM
Amonte will stay prob with a paycut....he's far from the old snipper but rather one of the few grinders like yelle...no one shows more hard work him, he's a horse.

Stuart is good, but says he wants to back to good weather, Hammer was good too, but needs a paycut to even consider keeping...

i think friesen, nilson and mcarty should leave and free up some $

projekz
04-23-2007, 10:15 AM
Golf and hopefully lots of practice...THEY HAVE NO DEFENSE

SiR_lyfe
04-23-2007, 10:16 AM
Wow, people have short memories… Iginla not a good player? Ha!

And before everyone starts saying trade the whole team, there really are only a couple key UFA’s that we have to sign.

Calgary Flames

yeh thats exactly what im thinking too

MintRacer
04-23-2007, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by projekz
+1:thumbsup: they have no D... when u have guys like Iggy thowing himself infront of pucks it's not a good thing...

orangefreddie
04-23-2007, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by projekz

Being outshot 3 - 1, THEY HAVE NO OFFENSE EITHER!

b_t
04-23-2007, 11:37 AM
I would really try to keep Stuart if we were Calgary.. he actually showed a lot of jump, he was always going hard when the rest of our defensive line with the exception of Giordano were calling it in...

Nobody has mentioned Phaneuf in this thread yet. Get this kid out of here, he has a shitty work ethic. Kiprusoff has to stay because he IS the franchise. It would suck to break up our top line, because Iginla + Tanguay = money. It will be other people, from our underachieving defense, that will have to go to make room for these guys to stay.

Supa Dexta
04-23-2007, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by orangefreddie

Being outshot 3 - 1, THEY HAVE NO OFFENSE EITHER!

Yeah man.. 12-15 shots in a whole game! ottawa could get that in 10 mins in a good period.. Its not a secret that you throw more shots on goal your going to get more goals as well as more chances spun off those shots..

Its boring hockey to watch too.. All you have to look forward to is phanuefs big hits, some action from iggy now and then, and the circus show kipper has to put on to keep them alive...

ken-gsr
04-23-2007, 11:49 AM
no kidding, those last couple of games were way to stressful. Is it just me or did everyone else see that the flames couldn't make stick to stick passes and they seem to 'fan' on 50% of the shots. It was like they had no chemistry and they were playing for the very first time together.

GC84ever
04-23-2007, 11:51 AM
The Flames should hire a sports psychologist for the team. Why? For a team that is so good at home, how can the be so bad on the road. It's not like their playing with square pucks, or using baseball bat instead of hockey sticks, or playing on a giant soccer field? it's the same game just in a different location. I know have the home ice advantage is a plus, but come on these guys are so-called "professionals".
It's obviously a mental thing. For when they are home they are awesome, but on the road they play worse than a peewee team. Hopefully they can figure out what's the problem.

Hope the flames enjoy the golf season.

bobby_lu
04-23-2007, 11:55 AM
i hope you all are cheering for the canucks now...:nut:

ok i doubt it...:rolleyes:

00Celica
04-23-2007, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by ICEBERG
Fan 960 radio was talking about Ryan Smith + some players for Iggy from the N.Y Islanders. Iggy is pushing 8mil and Ryan 6Mill that frees up couple million there. But i hope sutter is not even thinking about this move.:D

I don't know if this is a joke or not, but why would the flames trade for Smyth if he is a UFA on July 1st?

projekz
04-23-2007, 12:12 PM
OTTAWA FTW:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

a social dsease
04-23-2007, 12:16 PM
as long as they get rid of Amonte and Hamrlik I'm happy.

bigboom
04-23-2007, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by a social dsease
as long as they get rid of Amonte and Hamrlik I'm happy.

that is probably the best statement to describe the playoffs this year. hamrlik takes the worst penalties, he's slow and did you see how many times he bobbled the puck or messed up the pass.

amonte is just old and always looking for his line change by dumping the puck.

SuPhistiKatEd
04-23-2007, 12:59 PM
I agree with 88CRX.

I think somebody really needs to work with Phaneuf and his slap shot. If I had a dollar for every time he duffed the shot and snapped his stick in two, I'd be a rich individual. Maybe even tone down his cocky attitude.

Don't get me wrong, he's a great player, but he's still got alot of learning to do.

Deibs
04-23-2007, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by 00Celica

I don't know if this is a joke or not, but why would the flames trade for Smyth if he is a UFA on July 1st?

Must have been an April fools joke?

Anyways they can't trade for Smyth with his upcoming UFA status the league wouldn't allow it.

dharminder
04-23-2007, 02:09 PM
Phaneuf is a young guy still. I think give him couple years and he could be the next scott stevens.
Like someone mentioned earlyer hockey is a business, and the Team has to see what direction they want to take this club. Kipper will be here for couple seasons. Iggy is a toss up, do you keep him and let go of phaneuf is how I see it. Either way that’s a decision I am glade I do not have to make. I know that Phaneuf is not up for a contract yet but I am sure that is something that is in the back of Sutter’s mind. As for trading Smyth for Iggy, that’s like day and night. Iggy can carry a team by him self everyone has seen that, Symth is great leader also but can’t carry a team by him self. That’s just my two cents on this.

Fire_chickin
04-23-2007, 02:20 PM
A lot of you seem pretty sure that Iggy will be here next year but I think you might be disappointed. The word from the boys in the press gallery is that he's wanting a trade because he doesn't think he'll ever get a ring here. I'm not saying those guys are always right but they do hear the buzz that no one else does. I say get what you can for him before he's a complete no show.

spyce
04-23-2007, 02:25 PM
whoever said phaneuf needs to be gone needs to think again
the guy is in his second year of nhl hockey. maybe you are expecting a lot from him because of how good he was last year. i mean when was the last time we had a prospect that played that well in their first year?
maybe the capitals should get rid of ovechkin because he played slightly worse this year compared to his rookie year :rolleyes:

the only UFAs we have i see worth resigning are friesen (although at a lower price than before), primeau, stuart, and hamrlik (also at a reduced price)
i waiver on nilson because he played good towards the end of the season and had an alright playoffs. but i think it would better suit our 3rd and 4th lines to get some of our younger prospects in (prust,boyd)

hjr
04-23-2007, 02:44 PM
iggy may or may not have a flames jersey on for very much longer. he is a good leader, and in all honesty isnt all thaaaaat expensive, but it doesnt seem like the team and him are meshing (could be the teams fault of course, but he is supposed to be the leader, and i didnt see a lot of that down the stretch)

max_boost
04-23-2007, 02:57 PM
Ok so if Iggy does get traded, where to? What the hell is market value for Iggy?

three.eighteen.
04-23-2007, 03:10 PM
to be honest, if we do get rid of iggy, i think we can build our offense up around tanguay and huselius if we get the right pieces

the real problem is calgary would have to make a definitive decision to move past the defence-first tight checking system (like we stuck with that this year anyways :rolleyes: ) to a possession game

Weapon_R
04-23-2007, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Jarome is not going anywhere. Enough of that crazy talk.

I vaguely remember a similar comment made about an old fan favorite by the name of Theoren Fleury. And if I remember right, he cried like a bitch all the way to the bank when it came time to re-sign with us.

Anything's possible and the 2008 team might just look completely different.

LaDeeDaDeeDa
04-23-2007, 03:22 PM
Ok there is so much misinformation in this thread its not even funny. Either most of you are just uhhh noobs when it comes to the business of just intentionally trying to sound like idiots.

People who say Iggy wont ever be moved are dellusional. Hello salary cap? Last night proved once again that Kipper IS the franchise, not iggy. Iggy has one year left on his contract and then he will be gone - but it wont be easy. My guess is if we do miserable next year he will be gone before the deadline, if we are doing well he will be gone in the summer.

He will easily get 7-8mill/4 or 5yrs in the open market. There is no way the flames can afford to keep both, then Phaneuf on top. Phaneuf and Regehr will want 4-5mill. Kipper AND Phaneuf will be the franchise.

Regeher will be gone within the next few months, Id be surprised to see him back next season. He is a good trading piece and could get back some pretty good return.

We build the team around Kipper, and out. Phaneuf is the cornerstone on the blueline. He will never ever be traded.

Also, trading Hesulius would be a smart idea coming off a career high and his market value is at an all time high right now. Considering his low salary, a lot of weaker teams would be interested in his services. I expect him gone too this summer.

b_t
04-23-2007, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by LaDeeDaDeeDa
Ok there is so much misinformation in this thread its not even funny. Either most of you are just uhhh noobs when it comes to the business of just intentionally trying to sound like idiots.

Damn, I guess I am a noob at intentionally trying to sound stupid. I better practice harder.

People who say Iggy wont ever be moved are dellusional. Hello salary cap? Last night proved once again that Kipper IS the franchise, not iggy. Iggy has one year left on his contract and then he will be gone - but it wont be easy. My guess is if we do miserable next year he will be gone before the deadline, if we are doing well he will be gone in the summer.

You would think that we would trade Iginla over the summer when we can get something in return, instead of losing him for absolutely nothing when his contract runs out.

Rocky
04-23-2007, 04:10 PM
I think everyone's just bitter Calgary's out. They have all the tools to win a cup, they just need to play like it. At this point I don't know if adding a player or deleting a player will really make that big of an impact. I seriously would be surprised to see Iginla go, when Sutter in the past has committed to keeping him (7 mil contract?) but I definitely would say it's possible. I'd rather get rid of ol' Jarome than Kipper, Kipper is the true all-star here.

I think a few players will have to take cuts, and if they do, we'll keep the same core more or less.

Don't forget the Flames had a lot of trouble wtih Detroit because we had a big gap without Regger... and Hamrlik had a pretty strong regular season, just not as solid of a playoffs. Stuart is fitting in and Zyuzin does his job. The only weak link on D is Warrener if you ask me, but he's not worth enough to get rid of I think. Getting rid of Robyn is a joke IMHO -- the guy is hard working, hard hitting, defensively aware, and a long-time Flames member.

88CRX
04-23-2007, 04:13 PM
Either most of you are just uhhh noobs when it comes to the business of just intentionally trying to sound like idiots.
Oh rly?

He will easily get 7-8mill/4 or 5yrs in the open market.
I would doubt Iginla would get that sort of salary on the open market. People bash Iginla's play and then say he's gonna get the league max... how's that work?

Phaneuf and Regehr will want 4-5mill.
Phaneuf second contract WILL NOT be 4 or 5 million/season. If that's what he asks for we should let him walk.

Phaneuf is the cornerstone on the blueline. He will never ever be traded.
You're 'dellusional'.

Also, trading Hesulius would be a smart idea coming off a career high and his market value is at an all time high right now. Considering his low salary, a lot of weaker teams would be interested in his services.
After a playoffs like he just had his value defenitely went down. I'd keep him, try to work out a 2-3 year deal. His salary will go up, but not that much. He's only has 1 good season.

LaDeeDaDeeDa
04-23-2007, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by b_t

You would think that we would trade Iginla over the summer when we can get something in return, instead of losing him for absolutely nothing when his contract runs out.

Why? We already have two superstars who are making well under their market value. We have one more year to win it all, so might as well make the most of it.

shtock99
04-23-2007, 04:18 PM
well iggy is still uner contract till the end of next year so lets worry about that next year near trade deadline, cause i highly doubt he will go anywhere this summer, we have one more year with iggy, kipper, regher, huselius and some others so i think we keep this core group for this summer and add a couple pieces here and there and if we bomb next year well then iggy is def gone

LaDeeDaDeeDa
04-23-2007, 04:19 PM

Oh rly?
I would doubt Iginla would get that sort of salary on the open market. People bash Iginla's play and then say he's gonna get the league max... how's that work?

Uhh, you know nothing about hockey. Franchise players can easily qualify for the max - you honestly think no team out there will offer Jarome the max?

Phaneuf second contract WILL NOT be 4 or 5 million/season. If that's what he asks for we should let him walk.

Wow and I thought your first statement was moronic LOL. Btw, you dont let franchise, cornerstone dmen walk. Good thing your not GM.

After a playoffs like he just had his value defenitely went down. I'd keep him, try to work out a 2-3 year deal. His salary will go up, but not that much. He's only has 1 good season. LOL of course, ya one good season. Guess youve never seen this guys hardware.c Pretty damn impressive for a guy his age.

Please you know absolutely nothing about the game, stop embarassing yourself child.

LaDeeDaDeeDa
04-23-2007, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by Rocky

Don't forget the Flames had a lot of trouble wtih Detroit because we had a big gap without Regger... and Hamrlik had a pretty strong regular season, just not as solid of a playoffs. Stuart is fitting in and Zyuzin does his job. The only weak link on D is Warrener if you ask me, but he's not worth enough to get rid of I think. Getting rid of Robyn is a joke IMHO -- the guy is hard working, hard hitting, defensively aware, and a long-time Flames member.

LOL. This makes for another good laugh.

Regeher was not the reason we lost, even with him in the lineup we still would have lost the way we did.

Nobody, NOBODY will take Warrener or Zyuzin, thats 3.9 between the two of them.

Getting rid of Regehr is a joke? LOL ok child. You obviously have no clue about the business of hockey. Im not even gonna bother explaining myself here.

Team_Mclaren
04-23-2007, 04:23 PM

Uhh, you know nothing about hockey. Franchise players can easily qualify for the max - you honestly think no team out there will offer Jarome the max?

Wow and I thought your first statement was moronic LOL. Btw, you dont let franchise, cornerstone dmen walk. Good thing your not GM.

LOL of course, ya one good season. Guess youve never seen this guys hardware.c Pretty damn impressive for a guy his age.

Please you know absolutely nothing about the game, stop embarassing yourself child.
HA..HA..ha???

Si_FlyGuy
04-23-2007, 04:26 PM
Can we get Sutter to coach and Colangelo to GM? :rofl:

ICEBERG
04-23-2007, 04:34 PM
Heard that Brad Stuart want's out. He want's to play for Eighter the Sharks or the LA Kings. :(

88CRX
04-23-2007, 04:47 PM
Uhh, you know nothing about hockey.

Whatever you say.

Franchise players can easily qualify for the max - you honestly think no team out there will offer Jarome the max?

So wait... is Jarome a franchise player that's worth every penny of that $7mill he makes? Yup, he's worth it... hence why Sutter isn't going to just dish him off for a couple picks.

Franchise players like Iggi come around very rarely, just ask Boston or Edmonton how dumping franshice players has worked out for them.

Your right... lets sign our "cornerstone dman" to a 10 year $75mill contract cause we never want him to leave. Geesh... good thing your not the GM.

LOL of course, ya one good season. Guess youve never seen this guys hardware.c Pretty damn impressive for a guy his age.

I don't get it? Hardware... what hardware?

Ok, but why do you keep calling me child?

MM99lude
04-23-2007, 04:53 PM
I can't wait till hammer is gone. It hurt watching him play for the last couple of weeks.

And don't be surprised, to see Juice gone. His stock is so high right now, he sallery is low, Sutter is gonna shop him out for a pick and a good roster player.

ICEBERG
04-23-2007, 04:56 PM
OK guy's... Here are my predictions or the events that may accour for the 2007 and 08 season:

Dion Phaneuf: Stays
Roman Hamrlik: Bye,Bye..
Mark Giordano: Stays, but not too sure about this guy.
Brad Stuart: Gone, wants to be traded.
Andrei Zyuzin: Gone
Tony Amonte: Gone
Stephane Yelle: Stays.
Jarome Iginla: Stays.
Byron Ritchie: Gone.
Jeff Friesen: Stays
Eric Godard: Gone.
Matthew Lombardi: Stays. I think this guy has potential still.
Wayne Primeau: Stays.
Kristian Huselius: Stays.
David Hale: Gone.
Daymond Langkow: Stays.
Craig Conroy: Stays.
Darren McCarty: Stays.
Marcus Nilson: Gone.
Robyn Regehr: Stays.
Jamie McLennan: Stays.
Mikka Kiprusoff: Stays.
Alex Tanguay: Stays.
Rhett Warrener: Gone.
Richie Regehr: Gone.
Davis Moss: Stays.

00Celica
04-23-2007, 04:58 PM

So wait... is Jarome a franchise player that's worth every penny of that $7mill he makes? Yup, he's worth it... hence why Sutter isn't going to just dish him off for a couple picks.

Franchise players like Iggi come around very rarely, just ask Boston or Edmonton how dumping franshice players has worked out for them.

I guess if you are referring to Smyth as Edmontons franchise player, you are horribly wrong. Smyth is a great player, a first liner, but in no way is he a franchise guy. K Lowe gave the title of franchise player to Hemmer when he signed him to that six year deal. Using 20 games after the deadline on a team that should have been in the AHL with all the injuries they had isn't an indication of how things will be in the future.

88CRX
04-23-2007, 04:59 PM
OK guy's... Here are my predictions or the events that may accour for the 2007 and 08 season:

You just got rid of 6 defenceman.... 3/4 of which played regularly :rofl:

fordo_11
04-23-2007, 05:04 PM

Tony Amonte: Gone
Stephane Yelle: Stays.
Jarome Iginla: Stays.
Jeff Friesen: Stays
Eric Godard: Gone.
Matthew Lombardi: Stays. I think this guy has potential still.
Wayne Primeau: Stays.
Kristian Huselius: Stays.
Daymond Langkow: Stays.
Craig Conroy: Stays.
Darren McCarty: Stays.
Marcus Nilson: Gone.
Jamie McLennan: Stays.
Mikka Kiprusoff: Stays.
Alex Tanguay: Stays.
Davis Moss: Stays.

So you believe that Sutter is going to let 3 of his top 5 dmen from this season leave? So next year we have Phaneuf, Regher and Giordano left, who potentially can fill that void? Seems to me like you believe that Sutter is going to overhaul the defensive core of this team. Do you know who is out there to fill the major void that would be left in our lineup?

adamc
04-23-2007, 05:08 PM
man if the flames signed smyth, edmonton would never hear the end of it.

Chopstix
04-23-2007, 05:11 PM
i am going to Go with GOLF

ICEBERG
04-23-2007, 05:17 PM
Here is the Defence, I kept pretty much all the solid guy's in there:

What i mean by gone is, Some of these guy's will be traded or let go (UFA) in the Offseason. What is so hard to understand? They can be replaced.

ICEBERG
04-23-2007, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by fordo_11

So you believe that Sutter is going to let 3 of his top 5 dmen from this season leave? So next year we have Phaneuf, Regher and Giordano left, who potentially can fill that void? Seems to me like you believe that Sutter is going to overhaul the defensive core of this team. Do you know who is out there to fill the major void that would be left in our lineup?

I Don't know who will fill the Void. Thats why it is called a prediction. Really, who do you like back there? Hamrlik? He needs to go and i think people agree with me on that. Byron Richie didn't play well this year. He was in and out of the lineup. Brad Stuart wants out so that's a given.Warrener will be traded for another D. Richie Regehr not up to potential like his brother but you never know. He was in and out. So what don't you like from the prediction?

Seanith
04-23-2007, 05:43 PM

I agree with this... hopefully stuart stays. Hes an awesome player. I want to see hamrlik, amonte, mccarty gone. the others some are "useless" but if we can't get anyone better i wouldn't mind keeping them.

D'z Nutz
04-23-2007, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by SuPhistiKatEd
I agree with 88CRX.

I think somebody really needs to work with Phaneuf and his slap shot. If I had a dollar for every time he duffed the shot and snapped his stick in two, I'd be a rich individual. Maybe even tone down his cocky attitude.

Don't get me wrong, he's a great player, but he's still got alot of learning to do.

Am I the only one that notices Phaneuf can't even keep the puck in the attacking zone anymore? Seems more often than none, anytime a puck is passed to him while he's at the blue line, he bungs it up and they lose control.

C4S
04-23-2007, 05:49 PM
Wow .. how about Flames takes Ryan Smyth .. and trade Iggy to Oilers ..(so Iggy can see his Dad all the time!) :eek:

smontyLS1
04-23-2007, 05:55 PM
I definitly agree with getting a new defensive line up. It was brutal watching all the failed attempts at clearing the puck.
Get a GOOD dman in there with phaneuf so he can pick up. and a couple bigger guys that can defend the center of the ice. we didn't have a defence first team this year. at all. we dont have anyone consistant back on d.

If iggy wants to be somewhere else to get a ring he would need to take a big pay cut anyway. I hope he stays in town.

anonymous_j
04-23-2007, 06:04 PM
my guess is that...

sutter will not replace playfair. what's the point of getting a new coach when we have one who already knows the system.
im guessing he will resign stuart, lombardi, primeau, friesen and maybe zyuzin.

Of the impending UFAs: Amonte, McCarty, Nilson, Ritchie, McLennan, and Hamrlik will be gone. They will be repalced by Taratukhin, Boyd, Germyn, Prust, Mcelhinney and some UFA signings. Try to sign extensions with Regehr, Kipper and Iggy. i wouldnt be surpised if Regehr was traded.

ZedMan
04-23-2007, 06:32 PM
Phaneuf is the cornerstone on the blueline.

Nope.

SilverRex
04-23-2007, 06:52 PM
After watching the Flames loose back to back first rounder exits, I think this team needs shake up.

Sure they won 30 games at home,
Sure they were the only team with the most 70 point + players.

but when the game is on the line and matter most which is in the playoff, all the hype, all the potential, all the work are thrown out the window.

Its not like we dont have offence either,

it seems the team is waiting and wanting a change.
Maybe its the coach, maybe its the captive Jarome, who knows.

but my common sense tells me,

do what New jersy does,

sign kipper for life, and build the team from kipper and out.

Keep phaneuf and regehr.

keep tanguay and huselieus.

the rest I think are all expandable.

Get rid of Iggy I think his time is up and he just couldnt raise the flames from a good team to an elite team status.

throw out to the east, trade him for malkin, since Pit needs leadership. We need Superstar status.

All in all, this is kipper's team not Iggy's team.
with kipper you will have a shot at playoff and the cup every season, everyone knows how hard it is to have an elite goaltender in today's NHL.

asuth077
04-23-2007, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by anonymous_j
my guess is that...

sutter will not replace playfair. what's the point of getting a new coach when we have one who already knows the system.

I don't think he meshed with the veteran squad. If you can't get buy in from the key experienced players you can't perform. I think this also could explain our road problems when the team only has each other to lean on (no family, no home, no friends).

I'm not sure what the problem is, but I hope Sutter can admit if he is wrong and fix whatever is happening. If it is the coach we need to fix it now, or we will struggle to bring in key players who won't want to play under him.

Team_Mclaren
04-23-2007, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by C4S
Wow .. how about Flames takes Ryan Smyth .. and trade Iggy to Oilers ..(so Iggy can see his Dad all the time!) :eek:

who the hell do we want from edm?? lol roloson??:rofl: :rofl:

chris
04-23-2007, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

Am I the only one that notices Phaneuf can't even keep the puck in the attacking zone anymore? Seems more often than none, anytime a puck is passed to him while he's at the blue line, he bungs it up and they lose control.

you also notice how he was playing on his off side the whole time too, trying to keep the puck in with his backhand??? Man this flame's bandwagon gets pretty shakey when something goes wrong. Who ever was predicting they are going to trade half their team is a moron btw. They're not going to trade their franchise player, the only way that would happen is if they can't agree on terms, which i don't see happening.

SuPhistiKatEd
04-23-2007, 10:27 PM
I also noticed that he tends to go for the hit more, rather than simply tying up the stick of the other player.

He nearly coughed up the puck a few times on his own stick during the Detroit series.

Don't trade him. TRAIN him.

Learn that the big blast isn't as effective as it once was, now that every team in the Western Conference KNOWS it's coming and can read our play like a book. You can't fool the other team anymore.

Just put it on net, grab the rebound/deflection, and bang it in.
Occasionally, go for the blast, if it's possible and you have a clear shot.

anonymous_j
04-24-2007, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by asuth077

I don't think he meshed with the veteran squad. If you can't get buy in from the key experienced players you can't perform. I think this also could explain our road problems when the team only has each other to lean on (no family, no home, no friends).

I'm not sure what the problem is, but I hope Sutter can admit if he is wrong and fix whatever is happening. If it is the coach we need to fix it now, or we will struggle to bring in key players who won't want to play under him.
you could be right, i dunno. but i think we start back at square 1 if we bring in a new coach unless their last name is sutter (brent) or bowman.

adamc
04-24-2007, 02:16 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v209/hockeyfan4life/Iggygolf.jpg

LUCKYSTRIKE
04-24-2007, 06:05 AM
Originally posted by adamc
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v209/hockeyfan4life/Iggygolf.jpg

:rofl:

Rocky
04-24-2007, 12:24 PM
There's not going to be a huge number of major moves... Sutter isn't the type who grab the team and shake the hell out of them. He usually just makes one or two moves and let's the team do the rest. Speaking of Sutter, I also don't think you'll see him bring in a European superstar -- look how few Europeans we already have on the team, might give you some inidcation as to his hiring preference.

Phaneuf, give him some time, I can't get over how fast people get on this guy's back when he's a 2nd year defenseman!

Im not even gonna bother explaining myself here.
Thanks

SuPhistiKatEd
04-24-2007, 06:53 PM
Freeze might be gone now, according to his interview.

I guess he wasn't happy that Jimmy played him as a defensive forward. He thought his role was much bigger than that.

bluetek
04-25-2007, 01:42 AM
He had his chance to prove it in the regular season, and he didnt as far as im concerned. I wouldent be to disappointed if friesen goes. Amonte can go with him.

I wouldn't mind a couple young europeans like filpula. He showed me a lot in that series.

Oh and also to add on to all the comments...I myself definitly think when the time comes Jarome is gunna want 7-8MIL, and Kipper like 6Mil. They will get it too!!

Billy2
04-25-2007, 03:06 AM

You just got rid of 6 defenceman.... 3/4 of which played regularly :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl: that was my thought exactly hahaha

ZedMan
04-25-2007, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by bluetek
I myself definitly think when the time comes Jarome is gunna want 7-8MIL

If iggy wants 8 mil, he's gonna be outta here. He hasn't had even a 7 mil performance since '04.

HyperZell
04-25-2007, 10:40 AM
Iggy wants to stay - I believe it:

Iggy wants to re-sign now

Jarome Iginla wants to remain in Calgary and he's willing to sign on the dotted line. Now.

"I think things could be worked out long or short term," said Iginla in the Calgary Sun. "I'd just like to be here for a lot of reasons. The biggest one is you have a chance to play for the Stanley Cup and at this point in my career -- in the middle or my prime or whatever -- that's what I want more than ever."

Asked if he has any desire to test the open market next summer when he would likely command the league's top dollar, Iginla didn't hesitate.

"No, I'd like to play here and win here," said Iginla who has one year left on his three-year, $21 million deal.

The difficulty will be whether or not the Flames can afford to sign both Iginla and goalie Miikka Kiprusoff who will also be a free agent next season. Both will be commanding max salaries

http://www2.sportsnet.ca/blogs/hockey_hearsay/2007/04/25/iggy_wants_to_resign_now/

yellowsnow
04-25-2007, 10:44 AM
http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/9207/untitledxy1.png

SuPhistiKatEd
04-25-2007, 11:02 AM
Sure, he wants to stay, but the big question is, can Sutter afford to keep them both?

88CRX
04-25-2007, 11:27 AM
Well after hearing Freisen and Richies comments yesterday it a pretty safe bet that neither of them will be back. They sounded rather pissed of the roles they were given on the team.

On a good note, both Iggi and Hamrlik openly said they were willing to take pay cuts to stay in Calgary.

TeamBestBud
04-25-2007, 04:11 PM
Well after hearing Freisen and Richies comments yesterday it a pretty safe bet that neither of them will be back. They sounded rather pissed of the roles they were given on the team.

On a good note, both Iggi and Hamrlik openly said they were willing to take pay cuts to stay in Calgary.

Iggy was pretty hesitant when they asked if he blamed Playfair and if he'd like to see him back or not. He didn't really give a clear answer either. Rhett Warrener stuck up for the coach though.

:clap: Craig Conroy for recognizing and thanking the fans for us having to put up with them:drama:

:goflames:

toyboy88
04-25-2007, 06:14 PM
you know what would be sweet, if iginla honestly took a pay cut "for the team" and signed say $5 mil/yr for 3 years?

that would free up 2 mil/yr just like that for "upgrades" or other re-signings

:dunno: :goflames:

D'z Nutz
04-25-2007, 09:31 PM

What did they say?

md14
04-25-2007, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by yellowsnow
http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/9207/untitledxy1.png

:D :rofl:

88CRX
04-25-2007, 09:44 PM
Jeff Friesen....

http://calsun.canoe.ca/Sports/Hockey/2007/04/25/4129035.html

“I left a really good situation in Anaheim but it was a step back into becoming a defensive forward,” Friesen vented yesterday as the Flames emptied their stalls and split up for the off-season.
“I thought I could come here and help out in a bigger role. That was disappointing.”

“I had 100 percent belief that I was going to come in here and be a big part of the team. It just wasn’t really that kind of attitude when I got here.”

and from the Herald...

"It's hard to analyze your season when you're not in a situation that sets you up for success," said Friesen, who produced six regular-season goals. "I left a really good situation in Anaheim . . . and I thought I could come here and help out in a bigger role. I'd like to be in Calgary, I'd like to win a Stanley Cup . . . but you need your coach to believe in you. There's two ways of looking at everything. I put blame on myself for not stepping up and demanding more of a role. It wasn't a great situation for both of us. I'm sure he feels he didn't get the most out of me."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Byron Richie:

"Maybe the coaches saw something they didn't like or maybe the addition of some guys put me down the totem pole," said Ritchie, who, in his 64 regular-season matches, averaged less than 10 minutes of ice time. "But it's part of the game. It's frustrating. I felt I could have helped out a lot more. In the past, I hadn't had a lot of confidence, but this year I started to get some, started to feel like I got my stride . . . but it got set back at the end of the year.

"Obviously, I love it here, but I have to look after my career, as well."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jarome Iginla:

http://calsun.canoe.ca/Sports/Hockey/2007/04/25/4128167-sun.html

"I think things could be worked out long or short term -- I'd just like to be here for a lot of reasons. The biggest one is you have a chance to play for the Stanley Cup and at this point in my career -- in the middle or my prime or whatever -- that's what I want more than ever.

"As an organization I really think they want to be competitive every year. As a player that's all you can ask for. You can't guarantee anything but not all organizations are as committed and are in as good a shape as others."

Asked if he has any desire to test the open market next summer when he would likely command the league's top dollar, Iginla didn't hesitate.

"No, I'd like to play here and win here," said Iginla who has one year left on his three-year, $21 million deal.

"I'd like to play in a place where the passion and the red mile and sea of red are. If you could win in a place like this with that crowd it's what you want. It's amazing. It's one of the best places to raise a family in the world. The traffic isn't bad, it's safe and for my wife and I it's close to home so the grandparents can come down. It's a hockey town and when we go out as a family people are very passionate but very respectful."

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Roman Hamrlik

Hamrlik, finished with a two-year pact that paid him $7 million US, seems keen to stay.

"I hope they want me back," said Hamrlik, 33. "I really like this team. This organization, it's one of the best I've been on. I'd really, really like to be back. It's one of my priorities. I just want to win the Cup and this team is good enough to do it."

Hamrlik then offered an interesting statement about dough -- music, no doubt, to general manager Darryl Sutter's ears.

"It's not really important, I'll be honest," he said. "I've been here long enough and the money was never an issue. I was getting paid pretty good money. I never complained. We'll see -- but for sure I want to be back."

As far as I'm concerned Jeff Friesen can go crying all the way back to Anaheim. Sounds like there was some cancer in the dressing room. Lots of talk on CalgaryPuck about Amonte and some other verterns clashing with some of the younger players getting "their" ice time. And that they didn't agree with the rookie coach and his ways.

This could be huge if that was the case. Send them all packing for all I care.

spyce
04-25-2007, 10:54 PM
Definitely agree. He can take his mugface out of here. Didnt he have the same type of role in Anaheim? What did he expect to do? Bump Tanguay or Huselius off the top lines? And he really only got going near the end of the year.

See ya Friesen:guns:

SuPhistiKatEd
04-25-2007, 11:18 PM
I think Freeze is in way over his head, but let him walk. He's not going to climb the totem pole by moving to another team.

Ritchie was a good guy. It wouldn't hurt to keep him, just so we have that 3rd or 4th line.

According to what Sutter said, he wants to keep the team relatively the same. In Sutter we trust.

5hift
04-26-2007, 02:42 PM
We have to do something as the rest of the NHL doesnt have much respect for the Flames. When asked about the Wings knocking the Flames out pretty easily, Sharks coach Ron Wilson said he wasnt surprised at all and refered to the Flames as a one trick pony that would be the bottom of the NHL without Kipper.