PDA

View Full Version : WTD: Good Job + Advice

Evolize
04-23-2007, 10:12 AM
Where I am at now, I have to walk on eggshells around my boss. I was hired to do an administrative position, setup new software for the shop, and come to work dressed nicely and deal with customers and keep things organised for the guys in the back. It lasted for a week, and now all I do is walk around with a broom in my hand, paper towels, windex, and basically scrub the roof to the floor of the shop everyday. I waste away there, I cannot allow myself to be beaked around by an employer for 8+ hours a day. He's insulting, degrading, and a general displeasure to work with. Not to mention I don't get paid enough to put up with him either.

He keeps mentioning that I'll go somewhere in the company and that hes got this and that planned, but yet I come in every day, and do the most downright disgusting and lowlife work that I can think of. I feel like I am not being fully utilised, I want to stay because the people I work with are great and JUST MAYBE there might be something there to look forward to (i doubt it), but I want to leave because I get treated like crap every day and the work isnt good either.

I guess what I'm asking is if anybody knows a company who is hiring that will allow you to do what you were hired to do, pay you what you are worth, and not breath down your neck and continually label you a "stupid moron" every chance they get? I don't really care what I do as long as the money is good and I get to do what I was hired for. I need some advice here, maybe its just me and a messed up head, I don't know.

HoisinSauce
04-23-2007, 10:37 AM
what is your background??

Evolize
04-23-2007, 10:41 AM
My background is mainly web and graphic design, computer repair, tech.

SilverGS
04-23-2007, 10:57 AM
Check out the job boards like monster and workopolis. There seems to be quite a few IT jobs out there lately. If it is that bad there find another position stat and keep in contact with the good people you work with. Chances are once your boss sees you doing one thing you will be stuck there for quite a while.

Your other choice would be to confront him and tell him you are not doing what you were hired to do. How he treats you is unacceptable and that if things don't change you are gone.

GL

Evolize
04-23-2007, 11:02 AM
Thanks, but I already tried that route with him last thursday. I did not go into work today so I could start finding something better. I shouldn't have to fear going into work and feel like I am going to hell everytime I wake up and leave to go there.

Thanks for the tip with the job searches, but I've been through every single resource in the past week and all I have left is word of mouth.

msouther
04-23-2007, 05:51 PM
"Check out the job boards like monster and workopolis."

You can also check out www.working.com which is the # 1 website in Western Canada. Tons of jobs and easy to use. Type in position you are looking for, city and you will be presented with the most relevant search results.

Hope that doesn't sound too much like an ad, but it is a good site. Agencies are also good for helping you find what you are looking for based on qualifications and salary requirements. Good luck! In this market, there is no reason why you should be working in an environment like that.

Si_FlyGuy
04-23-2007, 09:02 PM
what are your credentials?

01RedDX
04-23-2007, 09:21 PM

Evolize
04-25-2007, 11:46 PM
okay so today was worse.
It started off by sweeping the shop again. No prob. Then the parking lot. Okay whatever. THEN the sidewalk. Ugh. Then the street right by the sidewalk.....WTF (yeah its a big wraparound sidewalk). Then after that he told me to grab paper towel and spray cleaner and clean the big chain link fence around the whole property (he has an acre of property there!). Then today my brother in law went to his house to quote him on some bathroom renovations and he told my brother in law he thinks im stealing from him. Not to mention my own "friend" blamed me for putting turbo parts out by the back fence to take later, when it was HIM that did it.

I'm at witts edge here.

GTS Jeff
04-26-2007, 01:20 AM
I see a whole lot of bitching here, but you don't have my sympathy because you're the one who's putting up with it. It's really as simple as quitting and finding another job. If you were born missing a spine, then...well then ok, you've got my sympathy. If not, stfu and go fix your life!

Mixalot27
04-26-2007, 09:39 AM
Maybe due to the labour shortage this is how companies have had to resort to hiring janitors. They tell you that your hired for an office position and within a week they gradually progress you into being a janitor. The first day it just starts with them telling you to clean off your desk. Second day they make you clean up the staff room. By the end of the week you are officially the janitor. Your first clue should have been when your office key was a gigantic metal ring with 50 keys on it. :rofl:

Either face the fact that you are a janitor and deal with it or tell your boss to shove his broom up his ass and find another job.

Evolize
04-26-2007, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Mixalot27
Maybe due to the labour shortage this is how companies have had to resort to hiring janitors. They tell you that your hired for an office position and within a week they gradually progress you into being a janitor. The first day it just starts with them telling you to clean off your desk. Second day they make you clean up the staff room. By the end of the week you are officially the janitor. Your first clue should have been when your office key was a gigantic metal ring with 50 keys on it. :rofl:

Either face the fact that you are a janitor and deal with it or tell your boss to shove his broom up his ass and find another job. Just did that. I don't work for mr.volvo anymore and i urge others not to apply. He wouldn't even look me in the face this morning when i confronted him about everything. he just walked into his office and sat down at his pc.

Lex350
04-26-2007, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Evolize
Where I am at now, I have to walk on eggshells around my boss. I was hired to do an administrative position, setup new software for the shop, and come to work dressed nicely and deal with customers and keep things organised for the guys in the back. It lasted for a week, and now all I do is walk around with a broom in my hand, paper towels, windex, and basically scrub the roof to the floor of the shop everyday. I waste away there, I cannot allow myself to be beaked around by an employer for 8+ hours a day. He's insulting, degrading, and a general displeasure to work with. Not to mention I don't get paid enough to put up with him either.

He keeps mentioning that I'll go somewhere in the company and that hes got this and that planned, but yet I come in every day, and do the most downright disgusting and lowlife work that I can think of. I feel like I am not being fully utilised, I want to stay because the people I work with are great and JUST MAYBE there might be something there to look forward to (i doubt it), but I want to leave because I get treated like crap every day and the work isnt good either.

I guess what I'm asking is if anybody knows a company who is hiring that will allow you to do what you were hired to do, pay you what you are worth, and not breath down your neck and continually label you a "stupid moron" every chance they get? I don't really care what I do as long as the money is good and I get to do what I was hired for. I need some advice here, maybe its just me and a messed up head, I don't know.

1) Believe inyourself
2) Grow some balls and quit (pee on his desk on the way out)
3) Go get a good job in the hottest economy in the country.

It may sound over simplified...but it really is that simple. The hardest part is taking action.

yellowsnow
04-26-2007, 03:10 PM
dude, haha.. why stress over a crappy job? go to work, when your boss tells you to do something stupid, tell him no, it's not in your job description. Worst he can do is fire you lol.

if i were you, i'd just go use my vacation days up. then once u're out of the country, call him and tell him you quit. there's your 2 weeks notice lol