PDA

View Full Version : Vibes 98.5s $100,000 Star Search

brownskind
04-23-2007, 01:41 PM
Just wonderin if any beyonders are in this. This is my and el ninos performance. I'm the guy playing the guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAQHNxcURbk

Any ideas or feedback?

BigBearWest
04-23-2007, 02:04 PM
That is wicked man. Is you singer Mat? If so i know him :D

el-nino
04-23-2007, 02:21 PM
Hahaha ya that's me. Please vote so I can win the money!!!

BananaJaK
04-24-2007, 10:52 AM
Matty I think you got this one. Wicked performance. Good luck!

hussein
04-24-2007, 11:42 AM
That's siiiiiiick.

How do you vote?

Si_FlyGuy
04-24-2007, 12:40 PM
I voted yesterday Matt!

(and so beyond.ca rigs another poll):rofl:

brownskind
04-24-2007, 12:48 PM
damm matt ur like celebrity on beyond.... wat song shud we do next?

mo_money2supe
04-24-2007, 02:38 PM
Out of the few videos on YouTube right now, I'd say you guys are definitely the best. Some of 'em, I literally just cringed at after about 10 seconds into the song; you guys though, I'd have to admit, there's some talent to be had there.

From a constructive criticism side though, Matt (no, we don't know each other, just figured by the rest of the thread your name), you've definitely got the attitude to pull something like this off. Singing wise though, try to take in stronger breaths when you sing; although pop does require more of a breathy voice, it was just a little TOO breathy at times, and often even OUT of breath. Falsetto especially requires a strong breath, otherwise, you start going flat, as one of the judges had commented on. Brownskind, love the rhythm, but try adding in some other licks here and there. Maybe vary up the strumming pattern a bit. Not there there's anything wrong with what you have, but to distinguish between intermediate and pro, there's often subtle things here and there added into the playing that makes the player stand out. I'm an acoustic player myself as well, and I'm still trying to figure out the transition from intermediate to better intermediate, but it's definitely something I need to learn and get better at.

Anyway, good luck to ya both. Again, how do we vote? Sorry, I'm outta town right now for University, and haven't listened to Vibe in awhile; clue me in?

brownskind
04-24-2007, 03:41 PM
hmmmmí dont no how to vote...ill post somethin up when i get a chance to figure it out....thanks for the advice i understand wat u mean for sure....just that i wanted to keep our first fw performances a little simple so i cud really lash out in the finals...another thing was that we had no moniters and the guitar volume was low so i had to strum hard to even get a good level...i want to fingerpick the lost without part but cudnt hear myself...so i decided to strum thrughout... next time ima get the sound guy to turn me up higher....

civic_stylez
04-24-2007, 09:53 PM
go magnum!!!;) :D

el-nino
04-25-2007, 09:37 AM
Magnum!!!!! hahahahahahahah. civic_stylez...who are you? I havent been called Magnum in a long time!!!
Jamil...no telling secrets.
mo_money2supe really good points. Are you a singer/performer as well? I know i shouldnt have excuses but this is deffinetly one of my "not so good" performances. I have been battleing a cold for a week which I believe was the cause of me loosing my voice and getting pitchy near the end of the song. Plus, it doesn't help that I chain smoke like a biotch!
Please help us win and vote!
http://www.vibe985.com/week1vote

mo_money2supe
04-25-2007, 10:09 PM
Hahaha...yeah, chain smoking ain't gonna help you any especially with breathing. Not bad though considering...

I both sing and play, but it's mainly for Worship services at Church. Not really "performing" if you will, but I've learned quite a bunch of things, musically, from the experience. I've also had numerous years of formal choir and musical training, though there are still many a things I'd like to get better at.

Brownskind (Jamil, I'm assuming?), if you're still struggling for sound on the guitar, yeah, for sure monitors would help, but to increase your sound, you could use more arm movement, rather than just wrist. You could also trying a thicker pick, or even bending your current pick a bit more to stiffen it up to get you that extra volume when needed. It'll especially be helpful for creating dynamics throughout the song, and most notably during the chorus and/or bridge areas. You'll need it to set you guys apart from that Michael Fitzgerald guy.

Anyway, I just voted for you guys. If, and hopefully when you guys win the money, any chance of having a "Beyond" beer night out, your treat? :angel:

Dayclone
04-25-2007, 10:15 PM
Wow you guys are really good! for couple guys that's wicked!

Wish you the best of luck!, and trust me when I say good your better than a lot of the performers I've heard.

aahaha and sounds like he's got the girls all roughty lol

BTW! is that your guys song you made up?

Steve

Impreza
04-26-2007, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by brownskind
hmmmmí dont no how to vote...ill post somethin up when i get a chance to figure it out....thanks for the advice i understand wat u mean for sure....just that i wanted to keep our first fw performances a little simple so i cud really lash out in the finals...another thing was that we had no moniters and the guitar volume was low so i had to strum hard to even get a good level...i want to fingerpick the lost without part but cudnt hear myself...so i decided to strum thrughout... next time ima get the sound guy to turn me up higher....

Did you goto crescent?

eur0
04-26-2007, 01:39 AM
your brother is pimping your name on facebook like no other haha..

el-nino
04-26-2007, 02:34 AM
Hahahahaha. Ya he sure is. And yes beer will be on Jamil.

el-nino
04-26-2007, 02:36 AM
Dayclone. That is a song I co wrote with my producer I'm working with. But the lost without you part is not my song. Robin Thicke"s song.

stevieo
04-26-2007, 10:12 AM
voted for you homie!

brownskind
04-26-2007, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Impreza

Did you goto crescent?

yea i was that geek everybody wanted to be like?

i was in a try hard group but we won the battl of the bands miss high school so much....sigh...

finboy
04-26-2007, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by brownskind

yea i was that geek everybody wanted to be like?

i was in a try hard group but we won the battl of the bands miss high school so much....sigh...
when did you graduate?

brownskind
04-26-2007, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by el-nino
Hahahahaha. Ya he sure is. And yes beer will be on Jamil.

i dont condone drinkin because of my religious beliefs

but Im sure theres other ways we can get fuct up!

naw jokes apart... The whole idea of winning that kinda money is to give back...

brownskind
04-26-2007, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by finboy

when did you graduate?

finboy
04-26-2007, 05:06 PM
really, i'll have to look through my yearbook, i graduated that year too, good luck to you guys.

D_2K
04-26-2007, 05:22 PM
I saw you guys (Mary's Grand) perform at the Bungalow one night a while back, i thought you guys were wicked!. You got my vote :thumbsup:

Kona9
04-26-2007, 05:34 PM
Got my vote for sure as well.

Man Chad the Pog Martin is such a dork!!!

Good luck!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

WWJAI
04-26-2007, 05:38 PM
:thumbsup: Very good performance.
Vote for you.

I agree with fuzzy that the latter part of your performance, your voice definitely started changing and wasn't as strong as when you first started off...but would have definitely been good too see that live.

Dayclone
04-26-2007, 09:16 PM
Man u guys make it big u guys better invite all us Beyonders down to your concert hahaha

So when I can be expecting the next concert? lol
I sooo wanna come to it hehe

Best of luck to you guys and voted for you... saw the other vids and they not that good to be honest.

Steve

brownskind
04-27-2007, 12:38 AM
We have been talking about doin a concert ...u no like a marys grand unplugged session at a venue.... Jus havent arranged everythin to perfection...we will keep u guys well informed when we finalize our plans...

Scottie403
05-26-2007, 01:27 AM
I was in the forum the other day and found an area were you could get the VIBE 98.5 bonus words.

For some reason I have not been able to find it again.

If someone could help me find it again that would be great.

Thanx, Sherry