PDA

View Full Version : Auto tranny fluid vs Manual tranny fluid?

JNeil
04-23-2007, 11:45 PM
Hey guys,

I just discovered the storage compartment in my Z31 (it took me 3 months to realize it was there), and found a half full bottle of auto tranny fluid... Now considering my car is 5 spd I started thinking.... I have to assume that the previous owner used the tranny fluid in the car.

So my question is, is there a big difference between the transmission fluids? If so, what is the difference? And will it cause problems for me if I don't get it changed quick?

Thanks,
Neil

slammed_cb7
04-23-2007, 11:50 PM
You would definetly notice more if the mix up was the other way around and you had manual tranny fluid in an auto. If your gears engage smoothly, and have been for a while, chances are you are ok. Personaly i would change it anyway as it costs $30 tops. The differences are in the additives like detergents, friction modifiers, blah blah blah.....not a huge deal. Change it for peace of mind at the very least.

JNeil
04-23-2007, 11:54 PM
K, sounds good.. Just got scared when I found it because i found some other pretty stupid crap in/on the car after buying it.

ercchry
04-24-2007, 12:01 AM
i dont think that they just poured atf in you tranny since to do so you have to jack it up and remove the filler bolt and get a long ass hose and squeeze it into the tranny

they may have had it for another car, or they out it in the oil or something because they thought it was oil because the bottle can look similar, so yeah probably not in your tranny

realazy
04-24-2007, 12:04 AM
i know in 240s with HICAS, it uses ATF, dunno if urs has HICAS, but that's just an idea.

Annoyingrob
04-24-2007, 03:47 AM
There are lots of systems in a car that can use ATF depending on how they designed them. Power steering, hydraulic fans, hydraulic clutches. It's not guaranteed that any of these do use ATF, but it is a possability.

Mangina
04-24-2007, 07:17 AM
Check and see if the fluid in your transmission is red. If it is, change it. If not, it's probably the right stuff.

TurboZombie
04-24-2007, 07:50 AM
Some Fords use ATF in the manual trans, my Mustang did!
Also, some manual trans do have a fill hole/dipstick, the GM/Isuzu trans does!

ercchry
04-24-2007, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by TurboZombie
Some Fords use ATF in the manual trans, my Mustang did!
Also, some manual trans do have a fill hole/dipstick, the GM/Isuzu trans does!

yeah his car does not tho

redline_13000
04-24-2007, 12:16 PM
Its possible that your car used atf at one point and its probably ok but u should just swap it out. A lot of honda guys use GM synchromesh fluid and its great stuff. For a long time Honda used regular motor oil in their trannies