PDA

View Full Version : Skylines

Pages : [1] 2

rsxtypes
04-24-2007, 09:34 AM
i know it sounds dumb, but im going to try to get a skyline or silvia from japan, im wondering which skylines i am able to drive in canada, i've seen so many different models here it seems like u can drive them all
but i know something about...is it the r34 gt? that you can't drive here...
if someone could clear this up for me and make my decision easier that would be cool
can anyone share their knowledge?

Ogpogo
04-24-2007, 09:37 AM
You can drive any r32. No R33's (yet), or R34's are allowed on our public roadways. I know you don't have fifteen fingers, but there is a calculator located in your accessories menu. I think you need to be old enough for a license though.

BenC
04-24-2007, 09:38 AM
must be 15 yrs old
so. only the r32
now go search up r32 and learn more about the cars before you think about importing

rsxtypes
04-24-2007, 09:41 AM
15 yrs old? what lol?
yeah i just hate all the skylines blowing by my "slow ass" rsx....
im just thinking whether it's worth it or not to get something faster
so just r32's huh....damn
thanks for the help

Ogpogo
04-24-2007, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by rsxtypes
15 yrs old? what lol?
yeah i just hate all the skylines blowing by my "slow ass" rsx....
im just thinking whether it's worth it or not to get something faster
so just r32's huh....damn
thanks for the help

Well, unless you dish out stupid amount of cash required for an r32 GT-R thats almost two decades old, you'll be just as flaccid for excitement.

Wait....I think I hear the skyline fanboys marching over to this thread as we speak..

rsxtypes
04-24-2007, 09:47 AM
so obviously you are not a skyline fan
well shit, my rsx is too expensive with the payment and insurance, i was just thinking owning a car would be alright

i want something faster than what i've got

save the insults though, cause i'm not 15 bud, i just don't know all my car shit, hence me asking the questions

01RedDX
04-24-2007, 09:53 AM

save the insults though, cause i'm not 15 bud, i just don't know all my car shit, hence me asking the questions

No dude, they ment JDM cars have to be at least 15 years old to be legally imported into Canada. :rofl:

Ogpogo
04-24-2007, 09:53 AM
so obviously you are not a skyline fan
well shit, my rsx is too expensive with the payment and insurance, i was just thinking owning a car would be alright

i want something faster than what i've got

No man, its not that Im not a skyline fad..*cough..ahem i mean fan, but I will say the GT-r is the only one that actually stands out. If you were interested in the others, I'd recommend something else.

And we're just kidding about the 15 year old crap, its just questions similar to this (no offence) are repeatedly asked on this site by kids barely old enough to masterbate. Google ftw.

rsxtypes
04-24-2007, 09:57 AM
sry both of u
had a bad morning
am kinda at work here, trying to keep screen on and work lol so i thought u were makin fun of me
i guess yeah ppl ask stupid crap about this but i really wanted to know fast and i knew someone would answer faster than on google

i just have my acura and i kinda wanna sell it to get something turbo, i don't know why but i just hate those srt's...i know they are fast but i hate american stuff

what the hell should i do

-KiTtY- boo
04-24-2007, 10:00 AM
you should really do your research before importing a car, skylines arent as fast as you think, unless its a GTR. If you want to get one because you like them and its your dream car, and so forth,then go ahead, if not then you might want to get a ride in one first before you get one. The reason there are soo many skyline for sale (calgary, edmonton) is becasue people hear that theses cars are soo fast, not knowing that its the GTR that ppl are talking about. So when they get the car, its not as fast as they think it should be, and then sell it. If you have the money, just buy something fast from here, now a days everything has 300+ HP, because from the sounds of it you just want something fast, and you'll be dissapointed with the skyline, dont get me worng here, their not slow, just not as fast as they are hyped to be.
If you want a fast car, why dont you just dump money into your car:dunno:

ApexDrift
04-24-2007, 10:02 AM
wait for the evo x and blow everyone out of the water... personaly wouldnt drop money on something so old unless i really really wanted it, if you have the funds get the evo x and spank the skyline gtr

240SX17
04-24-2007, 10:03 AM
imo, buy a 1991 240sx with no engine or tranny, go get a sr20 swap done and ur set, that will cost u about 1000-2000 for the car then 3-4gs for the engine, also up the turbo and cams ur pushin 300hp :D as u can see thats what im doin trust me u will be happy and its LHD

Ogpogo
04-24-2007, 10:04 AM
i guess yeah ppl ask stupid crap about this but i really wanted to know fast and i knew someone would answer faster than on google

"Results 1 - 20 of about 1,160,000 for transport canada vehicle importation. (0.12 seconds) "

i just have my acura and i kinda wanna sell it to get something turbo, i don't know why but i just hate those srt's...i know they are fast but i hate american stuff

Im in the same boat, and Im having just as much trouble as you finding something to get the blood pumping again. Just takes a lot of time and patience to find which ride really clicks with you. Good luck bud:D

rsxtypes
04-24-2007, 10:06 AM
YAH TRU, actually i've probably heard that before but was too ignorant to everything to listen. Totally makes sense too, there are a lot of skylines for sale now that I am looking more, you wouldn't even have to import the car with all of them already over here.
the problem with my car is the payment plus the insurance for me, i'm only 22 so for some reason it's like 350 bucks plus 500 for the payment so shit it's lots for me going to school and stuff
plus with the rsx everyone already told me like you can't really turbo it without changing over some things, but like i said i don't know a lot of details about what is open to me with my vehicle

-KiTtY- boo
04-24-2007, 10:15 AM
YAH TRU, actually i've probably heard that before but was too ignorant to everything to listen. Totally makes sense too, there are a lot of skylines for sale now that I am looking more, you wouldn't even have to import the car with all of them already over here.
the problem with my car is the payment plus the insurance for me, i'm only 22 so for some reason it's like 350 bucks plus 500 for the payment so shit it's lots for me going to school and stuff
plus with the rsx everyone already told me like you can't really turbo it without changing over some things, but like i said i don't know a lot of details about what is open to me with my vehicle

It wont be an easy job to turbo your car, well because its not meant to be, but there are some really good kits out there for it. It can be done, and yes you would have to 'change' a bunch of things, but i mean if youve got 8-10 gran to buy a skyline wit, then you can use that money to turbo your car. OR you dont have to turbo it, you can supercharge it.

If its because of the insurance and payments and what ever, an imported car may not be cheaper on isurance, you really have to look into it, casue it would depend on your record, who you insure it with, casue i know some ppl who pay about $170/month liablility only, and they are younger then you or about your age.

You really need to look into it.

rsxtypes
04-24-2007, 10:17 AM
yeah exactly, it all depends on record and all that stuff, and i doubt an imported car would differ in price at all, especially if it's turbo it'll probably be more anyway
you guys are right though, i really have to look into exactly what i want to do before i just do something

but you've really changed my mind on skylines and those cars from japan, it just doesn't make much sense.
thanks a lot

Ogpogo
04-24-2007, 10:19 AM

but you've really changed my mind on skylines and those cars from japan, it just doesn't make much sense.
thanks a lot

Glad to help. I wish more people came to the same final conclusion you did.

-KiTtY- boo
04-24-2007, 10:45 AM
yeah exactly, it all depends on record and all that stuff, and i doubt an imported car would differ in price at all, especially if it's turbo it'll probably be more anyway
you guys are right though, i really have to look into exactly what i want to do before i just do something

thanks a lot

lol i wasnt trying to convince you not to import at all.. all im saying is that your doin it for all the wrong reasons. Insurance for these cars could sometimes be cheaper then a regular car, but like i said it all depends on your record, and who you go with. If you really want to import something, wait till next year when the really nice and fast cars come out, like the r33, the evo's, the silvia S14 and so on
and unitl then if you want to save money, sell your car, buy something cheaper, like a beater, save up money and then get what you really want.

T78Supra1
04-24-2007, 11:48 AM
If you are Strapped For Cash Do not import a Skyline.

These Cars are awesome if you will spend the coin on them. The reason there are a bunch forsale in trader is because a bunch of teenagers with no money bought them as everyday drivers.

The Truth is its a 15year old turbo car = be prepared to fix shit on the car.
Also the Skyline is like most cars made in the 90's they were fast in the 90's but not so fast anymore. However they can be made fast because the RB26 is an Awesome engine.

If you love the Car and have enough money to build the car from the ground up then go for it. If not expect things to break.

Teggy
04-24-2007, 12:00 PM
^^^ What he said. I've spent so much money on my skyline, but that was my choice, and i'm happy with the outcome. alot friends have bought the GTR's and GTs-t, and don't have enough money to play with them. Anyways, do your homework, find out what it is you want before you drop some major coin.

ScottysZ
04-24-2007, 06:55 PM
You could buy my car and go eat some skylines for breakfast.:D I don't get the whole domestic hate thing...

MidnightDreamer
04-24-2007, 07:03 PM
Some of it's genetic... I was born JDM... I can personally attest to the GTRs being quick. They'll hold thier own against something like an SRT-4 (While I think the SRT4 is an abomination of domestic engineering, it's a quick car)...

TeamBestBud
04-24-2007, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by MidnightDreamer
I was born JDM.

:rolleyes:

Eleanor
04-25-2007, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by MidnightDreamer
(While I think the SRT4 is an abomination of domestic engineering, it's a quick car)...

Why would you say that? Yeah cheap and quick, terrible car.

Teggy
04-25-2007, 08:41 AM
^^^ its still a neon lol jk

Isaiah
04-25-2007, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Teggy
^^^ its still a neon lol jk

OMG, here we go.

Teggy
04-25-2007, 10:05 AM
guys come on it was just a joke, every buddy has the right to drive, and enjoy whatever car they feel like. No buddy is a Fanboy, and no buddy should convince anybody to purchase a different car because they feel its not worth it. I mean like whats the difference if the car is brand new, 15 years old, 35yrs old, and so on. Once you drive the car off the lot its used, and technically old.. but anyways buddy if you really think your rsx can't compete against some of these cars, go and test drive some cars. I used to own an integra back in the day, and went for a ride in a skyline, and bought one a week later. Its been two years, since that day, and i still love my skyline, anyways like i said before, don't go adnd buy a car or not because someone suggests it too you, this is a big deal, and one that you don't want to regret.

rsxtypes
04-25-2007, 11:03 AM
THX MAN, i guess i don't know anyone with a skyline to take a ride in it lol...i would love too take a test drive to see if its' really all i'm expecting it to be. I love the look of the car too i've seen a white gtr here that i thought looked sick. my rsx is fast for what it is and i do like the car. but you are right about making a quick decision without looking into it. first off i need to sell my rsx before i can even really start thinking about buying another car....hmm does anyone know anyone wanting an 05' type s??? huh huh? no but you were mentioning the s14 silvia, i've seen a couple in the south here,i swear it was the same dude driving both of them...what kind of speed do you get out of them...compared to the gtr....? or maybe i'll go to google...lolj/k

let me ask you another thing, was it tough getting used to right hand drive?

ninjak84
04-25-2007, 11:32 AM
Buy an S14.

I was considering a JDM car too. I'm still undecided, but my desire for reliability is steering me away. The JDM cars are nice for the price, but I'm convinced that I'm always buying someone elses junk. The #1 reason I don't think I'll ever buy a JDM car is because I cannot see it or drive it before I buy it. You're relying on something that doesn't exist in today's world : honesty.

Even when I find a perfect one (like the one I'm looking at from Import Concern right now :drool: ), my mind refuses to let me put a downpayment. It's just too sketchy. I know many friends who've bought JDM cars. Not a single JDM car has ever come here that DIDN'T need immediate repairs.

I've been on these forums for a long time.... Funny to see who bought JDM and how long it took them to sell it. Also funny to see people buy a JDM car and try to sell it here for twice the price :rofl:

FS: 1990 300zx - $18k obo

FS: 1991 MR2 - $16k obo

rsxtypes
04-25-2007, 11:39 AM
I think i'm going to look into it for sure. and that's my worry too, i know that someone else has bagged the shit out of it and thats why they don't want it anymore. but, if i can get a deal that's decent i will jump on it for sure.
but they want 5 bills just to "initiate" a search through jdm...but i still think im interested lol...hmmm what to do what to do
if only i was a millionaire it wouldn't be such a hard choice.

Teggy
04-25-2007, 11:47 AM
driving a Rhd car isn't that tough, mybe the first 30 feet or so are alittle shaky just cuz your eyes, are still looking at the center line, but anyways, the only issue is left turns at intersection with poor visability, when that happens i just wait til the light turns

rsxtypes
04-25-2007, 11:53 AM
damn i never thought about that with the left turns, i guess it's better to be safe than crazy lol...i think i could do it pretty easily, i guess i better start driving with my right hand now...

looks like i will be spending what...atleast 15 g's to start

Teggy
04-25-2007, 11:59 AM
not really, ya i think the going rate for them here, is like 15 grand, i picked mine up for 6 grand, and i'm not sure if you've seen pics but the outcome was alright...
before
http://www.importconcern.ca/stock/100144/04.jpg

After

http://picturemessaging.rogers.com/mmps/RECIPIENT/000_01dd6b4fda1a2124_1/2.jpg?partExt=.jpg&limitsize=320,320&outquality=56&rand=3520275103359578800&ext=.jpg&border=2,0,0,0&inviteToken=TEAr4RJS7hUWXzlkoki0&clampsize=320

rsxtypes
04-25-2007, 12:01 PM
damn urs looks sick man, like the paint
6 grand where did u pick urs up so cheap?

Teggy
04-25-2007, 12:05 PM
i went to importconcern, and dominic, and Christian were very helpful, they answered every question i had, and i had alot, becuz i was buying a car i had never seen before. Anyways, those pics are just the exterior i did engine swap bigger turbo, the works ya know, it cost alot, but as i stated before i spent alot of money, but i'm happy with it, trust me they are fun cars, and ya parts maybe alil expensive, but when its all said and done, this car is an automotive dream everything you can think about doing to the has already been done, so there is advise every where

rsxtypes
04-25-2007, 12:10 PM
well, i will check them out for sure
you've been lots of help so i appreciate it. i like those rides so much so money isn't really an issue for me (especially after my rsx is gone) so ill get that thing listed this weekend and hopefully someone will want it while it's still new

are they not making rsx anymore???
i guess honda has that sir civic with pretty much the same engine in it anyway so maybe they don't need it

ninjak84
04-25-2007, 01:00 PM
$500 just to "initiate a search"?

Haha No way. Don't pay that. Definitely talk to the guys at Import Concern. They'll answer questions for you, and they've got all their local and offshore stock posted, so you can "initiate" your own search :rofl:

*EDIT*
Here's the link if no one else posted it www.importconcern.ca

In my opinion driving RHD is kind of fun.

rsxtypes
04-25-2007, 01:08 PM
lol yeah actually i looked on that site and saw that they even have them in calgary already sometimes, or even vancouver which isn't far at all to take a trip to pick it up

i thought the 500 was pretty steep just to "initiate" a search, but it looks like i need to save for a month or two and i will be in touch with those guys at importconcern to get my ride

Skyline_Addict
04-25-2007, 05:12 PM
personally, I think your RSX Type-S > 15-20 year old Skyline.

speed isn't everything imo, but whatever makes you happy.

JDMsomething
04-25-2007, 05:28 PM
The reason that people are selling so many GTST's are mostly to upgrade to GTR's

OR

They tried importing it themselves because it was hella cheap, and ended up with a garbage one. There arnt very many quality skylines for sale here that are landed.

If you choose properly in Japan, you shouldnt have many problems. And insurance will be much cheaper because it is an older vehicle.

GTST's are decently fast, but probably not too much faster than your rsx stock.

Get one with an exhaust + boost controller, and then you will be really happy :)

2EFNFAST
04-25-2007, 06:31 PM
Is it me or are there ~a lot~ more imported skylines around this year than before? Previously I think I've only seen 1 or 2; this year alone I've seen atleast 15 or 20 different ones.

I don't really understand though what the fascination with them is - they look exactly what they are - a 15+ yr old japanese car that looks 'meh' at best.

Wowee :confused:

JDMsomething
04-26-2007, 12:39 AM
because they are cheap, fast, reliable, and can be made for any platform.

-KiTtY- boo
04-26-2007, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST

I don't really understand though what the fascination with them is - they look exactly what they are - a 15+ yr old japanese car that looks 'meh' at best.

Wowee :confused:

Please dont start this again. Eveyone has their own choice and opinion on the type of car they want to drive. Thats like saying you dont understand the fascination with old muscle cars, or saying you cant understand why people are dumping thousands of dollars into 15 year old hondas to make them fast, or any older car. Some people love the look of these cars, and it has always been a dream to have one, and if you can afford it, why not?
I would love to own a supra or ferrari, always been my dream, espically a supra, and if i could afford it, and its avaliable to me why not? Just because some people dont like them or think its a waist of money i shouldnt get what I want?

sh0ko
04-26-2007, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by -KiTtY- boo

Please dont start this again. Eveyone has their own choice and opinion on the type of car they want to drive. Thats like saying you dont understand the fascination with old muscle cars, or saying you cant understand why people are dumping thousands of dollars into 15 year old hondas to make them fast, or any older car. Some people love the look of these cars, and it has always been a dream to have one, and if you can afford it, why not?
I would love to own a supra or ferrari, always been my dream, espically a supra, and if i could afford it, and its avaliable to me why not? Just because some people dont like them or think its a waist of money i shouldnt get what I want?

:werd:

black13
04-26-2007, 01:26 AM
wow, you would rather give up your RSX?

If the R34 was legal, heck I'd be driving one but the R32 pales in comparison. Get something else if you don't like your RSX.
Just call up some skyline seller and go for a test drive and you'll see.

rsxtypes
04-26-2007, 08:38 AM
yeah shit, everyone makes good points on this
and everyone should drive what they like and want to drive.

i can probably put less money into my car and make it a lot faster than getting a skyline so maybe that's a better idea

a lot of people do like my car, maybe that's cause its a color that isn't as common as the other rsx's. i guess speed isn't everything but that cool blow off valve sound has my captivated lol. i have seen a rsx with a turbo in it, i think it wasn't even a type s...but it sounded crazy fast when he blew by me.

i was gonna ask though, i get information sometimes from ppl who think they know stuff but really don't so im wondering which is worse in the long run for the engine, the turbo or the supercharge....or are they both bad ?

Teggy
04-26-2007, 08:58 AM
i don't see why you would want either.........
this is my reasoning, if you think a turbo'd or supercharged honda sounds incredible, have you ever heard an all motor honda rip to 10,000rpms.........????.......... This is just my opinion but if you keep your rsx, have you thought about going naturally asperated?? I'm talking about, new pistons, new crank, injectors, springs, valves, cams, cam gears, individual throttle bodies, pulleys the works, it'll cost you about the same to do either a turbo, or supercharger. the one thing people don't realize when they upgrade to turbo's is the tuning and plumbing involved. ya a turbo kit might cost around 4,500 dollars for your car, but then you have to buy a engine management system, and get it tuned.....................yes turboing and supercharging are quick ways to make some horsepower, but if its not done properly you could damage your car. My best advice to you is, if you keep your Acura, source as many cars as you can and decide what is best for your money, and for your car.

rsxtypes
04-26-2007, 09:11 AM
have been told about the naturally asperated. i was down at speed tech and the guys were telling me not to turbo or supercharge it because it doesn't make sense with that k20. they told me to all those things and i would be really happy and i think you guys are probably right. that way i'll spend about the same as for the turbo kit but afterwards i won't have to dump even more money into it to make it work. thanks man

T78Supra1
04-26-2007, 10:40 AM
Honestly if i was you i would do forget about importing gather about 20,000 and do this to your car

http://www.jtuned.com/content/templates/dc5.aspx?articleid=225&zoneid=15

Then You will destroy all .........

And Reg at RCTS can Tune your car with the V-pro

rsxtypes
04-26-2007, 10:43 AM
that car is just outrageously sick....i'm speechless lol

i might have 2, 20g's....well i better start saving...2 jobs for me, maybe 3

Ekliptix
04-26-2007, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by JDMsomething
because they are cheap, fast, reliable, and can be made for any platform.

Originally posted by -KiTtY- boo
you should really do your research before importing a car, skylines arent as fast as you think, unless its a GTR. If you want to get one because you like them and its your dream car, and so forth,then go ahead, if not then you might want to get a ride in one first before you get one. The reason there are soo many skyline for sale (calgary, edmonton) is becasue people hear that theses cars are soo fast, not knowing that its the GTR that ppl are talking about.

Conclusion: Skylines are not fast. Modified ones with $ into them can be fast. Does anyone know any 1/4mi times and mph for a stock GTR in Calgary, not speculative #'s?

If you want to go fast for cheap you might need to lose the I-hate-domestics attitude. Or get an older B-series non vtec honda and turbo it. They're proven to be fast in Calgary.

Teggy
04-26-2007, 01:23 PM
^^holy Crap when did this become a "haters" thread. To answers some questions, i do believe at last years v8less stock gtr's ran about the same time you did bud. And to the buddy who said skylines are every where now.........good, i happen to like driving my skyline, and running into someone with the same car, i thinks its cool, i make new friends........ If you ask me, i see alot of civics, jettas, Mustangs, and camaro's everywhere..... gosh can someone tell those guys there's to many of them

Ekliptix
04-26-2007, 02:48 PM
I don't hate skylines, and especially not imports. If a stock GTR actually ran 12.6 last year like you say, I'm extremely impressed.

As far as having a unique fast car (not a mustang), I'm not too sure how the thread starter is going to do it on a budget.

inline6turbo
04-26-2007, 03:26 PM
pm'd

not even going to waste my time with the haters in this forum

:thumbsdow

MidnightDreamer
04-26-2007, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by ninjak84
Buy an S14.

I was considering a JDM car too. I'm still undecided, but my desire for reliability is steering me away. The JDM cars are nice for the price, but I'm convinced that I'm always buying someone elses junk. The #1 reason I don't think I'll ever buy a JDM car is because I cannot see it or drive it before I buy it. You're relying on something that doesn't exist in today's world : honesty.

Even when I find a perfect one (like the one I'm looking at from Import Concern right now :drool: ), my mind refuses to let me put a downpayment. It's just too sketchy. I know many friends who've bought JDM cars. Not a single JDM car has ever come here that DIDN'T need immediate repairs.

I've been on these forums for a long time.... Funny to see who bought JDM and how long it took them to sell it. Also funny to see people buy a JDM car and try to sell it here for twice the price :rofl:

I have just completed dealing with Import Concern on my 180sx. I definately understand your concerns in not being able to physically inspect the car yourself, and also putting all that trust into someone you've never met. I can tell you though that Christian is a great guy to deal with. He dealt with all my needs and concerns with the car, and I am very happy with what I received. You are probably right about most JDM cars needing repairs right off the bat... But what do you expect, it's a 15 year old car you're dealing with. Christian doesn't lie to you about these things either, he said to budget $1000 to make sure you can bring the car up to code for the OOP. So far I am only at $250 for parts.

Reliability was a key concern for me as well as the 180 is to be my daily driver. The SR is a relatively easy engine to work on and parts are pretty easy to come by for it... But I'm told Skylines are a little more difficult to deal with so I can't offer any advice there.

As long as you understand what you are getting into and know what you are looking for, you should be just fine. Don't jump on a GTR and think that things will be all dandy when it arrives, otherwise you'll be selling it after a week.

inline6turbo
04-26-2007, 03:48 PM
Stop hating on the gtrs!
I've had mine for two months now and i've never EVER had a car this amazing before *by amazing i mean quality wise, dont start flaming away*, and considering i've had what...15 cars so far i think thats a pretty bold statement.
My repair bill so far, 0$
Rust on car, 0
My last car, 02 rsx type s, had more problems

The key is not rushing and jumping on one, look around, there's lots out there, and you can net yourself a good one

i <3 my gtr

finboy
04-26-2007, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Teggy
^^holy Crap when did this become a &quot;haters&quot; thread. To answers some questions, i do believe at last years v8less stock gtr's ran about the same time you did bud. And to the buddy who said skylines are every where now.........good, i happen to like driving my skyline, and running into someone with the same car, i thinks its cool, i make new friends........ If you ask me, i see alot of civics, jettas, Mustangs, and camaro's everywhere..... gosh can someone tell those guys there's to many of them

any timeslips for gtr's running 12's stock? or even better then a 13.5?

Ekliptix
04-26-2007, 05:31 PM
In calgary don't forget.

inline6turbo
04-26-2007, 05:34 PM
:whocares:

Ekliptix
04-26-2007, 05:54 PM
Um, rsxtypes actually. He's trying to get input to make a decision. He just about got his head straight on pg 1.

ca18det240sx
04-26-2007, 06:24 PM
I like nissan in general. They tend to build their cars in a very non complicated way. rb26 is just like any other engine to work on....ppl think sometimes that turbo=complicated.....not true at all. I found my ca18 very easy to build up, altho yes it is an older motor....thusly more simple in design, but even sr20det is very simple to work on. Want a fast car? get a 240sx.....sr20 or ca18det.....both good choices, ca is cheaper but harder to find. SR is also a very good choice, and a very strong motor. You dont need to spend too much on an sr20 to get alot of power. We just finished building up my friends sr20, t3/t4 turbo, 550cc injectors, xcye tuned ecu, and a few other goodies and were at almost 300hp to the wheels. Theres also a 50 shot of nitrous in there...and it takes it with a smile and a thank you.

good luck with your choice

Ekliptix
04-26-2007, 06:30 PM
Agreed, SR20 swapped 240's come up for sale frequently.

ca18det240sx
04-26-2007, 06:32 PM
and even if there isnt one for sale, i do swaps for a fee ;)

scboss
04-26-2007, 06:46 PM
if u are planning on getting a skyline then definitly go through import concern got mine from there and havnt had one problem at all. To say a gts isnt fast is a understatement as it will be faster then most of the cars on the road. It isnt the best car out there but the the price and km u cant compete most of them go for around 7000 with less then 100 000 km

Ekliptix
04-26-2007, 06:56 PM
I just remembered, a guy on here has a very respectable RSX-S with some well chosen bolt ons and tuning.

Originally posted by ca18det240sx
and even if there isnt one for sale, i do swaps for a fee ;)
Plus you can keep it LHD and not get killed passing on the highway or turning at a solid green!!

Synne
04-26-2007, 10:06 PM
0.02 cent time!

I say buy a....S13 or S14.

I think the GT-R is a hell of a car, but it is for enthusiasts that are willing to drop cash into them.

GT-R's have aftermarket capabilities unlike any other car in the world for their budget.

That being said the S13 and S14 also have extremely capable aftermarket fields to draw from as well...only on more so of a budget.

I think simply eliminating all the problems that can occur with a 4WD car versus a RWD car can save you tons of money and grief...not to mention the S13's are so well written about you can find DIY things for almost every part of the car.

...my only comment would be if you are going to get a Skyline...get a GT-R...

...or spend some coin in having a competitive GTS-T.

I'm tired of boy racers in Calgary beating a GTS-T and then bragging they beat a Skyline.

MidnightDreamer
04-26-2007, 10:13 PM
Or you can rig up a cam to show you what's going on...

And yeah, you can't really discount the RB20/25's from being quick either. Like the SR, the platform is very tunable.

MidnightDreamer
04-26-2007, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Synne
0.02 cent time!

I say buy a....S13 or S14.

I think the GT-R is a hell of a car, but it is for enthusiasts that are willing to drop cash into them.

GT-R's have aftermarket capabilities unlike any other car in the world for their budget.

That being said the S13 and S14 also have extremely capable aftermarket fields to draw from as well...only on more so of a budget.

I think simply eliminating all the problems that can occur with a 4WD car versus a RWD car can save you tons of money and grief...not to mention the S13's are so well written about you can find DIY things for almost every part of the car.

...my only comment would be if you are going to get a Skyline...get a GT-R...

...or spend some coin in having a competitive GTS-T.

I'm tired of boy racers in Calgary beating a GTS-T and then bragging they beat a Skyline.

Agreed, S13 is a great platform especially if you're looking for something more manageable. Aftermarket is great, and parts are easily available from all the 240's already here...

I agree about the GTR as well. You haven't seen the real potential of the platform unless you've been in one of these.

gp36912
04-26-2007, 10:48 PM
depends what you want from a car. if your looking for jdm then s13 is a great platform nice and cheap and tons of diy information online, easy as hell to work on too. if you just want fast, then i would suggest a older 325is body and stick a m3 engine into it. total would run you about 15gs maybe abit more depending on how much the body was. but you get a nice quick car. and you have the option of supercharging it later for 500+ hp.

again it depends on what you want out of a car. awd, rwd, na, turbo, sc, 4 cylinders, 6, 8, 10, 12 etc etc. with the world of cars its almost limitless

rsxtypes
04-27-2007, 10:10 AM
thanks to everyone for their input (minus the haters) on every different suggestion on what to get. Everyones opinions are taken into consideration (minus the haters)

now i have so many different things to look into i don't know where to start, but i guess thats what i want. otherwise i'd probably make a quick decision and it probably wouldn't be smart. atleast now i have a lot of info that i didn't know about but i guess it won't matter unless i see them for myself or go for a cruise in one.

Ekliptix
04-27-2007, 02:52 PM
FYI, here's the link to a fast RSX in Calgary(minus the haters) : http://forums.beyond.ca/st/172016/re-tuned-my-rsx/

stinky_1
05-13-2007, 08:41 AM
Hopefully I dont get flamed all over for this.

I drive a skyline GTS4 sedan. Yes its 4 door, and yes it has "only" the rb20 det. I have the following mods on my car.

FMIC - EBay $500 (or less)
3" cat back (came with it)
K&N intake (came with it)
CUstom tuned ecu - (did that myself) free
Manual torque split controller - Made at work (free)

Right now I am running stock boost and have only $500 in part. The car is doing 190 hp at the wheels right now. I bought the car with shipping and EVERYTHING to get it into canada AND all repairs to pass the oop for just over $8500. That also is including the cost of my fmic actually.

Now, I dont know what specs are on your car. But that last link posts to a car doing just over 200 whp. How much did he spend to get that much? and what did he pay for the car?

Not to mention that with my boost controller I can turn up the psi. Right now I am stock. I estimate I can make at LEAST 230 whp without going past 10 - 12 psi. Which is VERY safe for the stock internals on these motors.

Now if I am making 230 whp what cars does that match me to??? Well the SRT4 for one (which I like as well, but cant justify the cost on a dodge product).

How fast will you go at the track? I would think with 230 hp you should be in the low 14's for sure, possibly in to the 13 second range.

Now, if you have the RSX now. WHat will it cost you to make it have 230 wheel hp? KNowing that, what can you sell it for and make off it? (Assuming you owe less than what its worth) ANd after you figure that out figure out what a GTST will run you in calgary. I know I have another GTS4 sedan for sale for $8500. Its passed the oop and in great shape.

Why am I not keeping it? Wel contrary to popular belief I did NOT think it was too slow. I had bought 2 of them and need one sold. I like my white one, so the silver one is going.

There are a couple misconceptions on here too. I wonder how many of the people on here are talking "facts" about rhd cars, and I question if they have ever even been in one??

Truth is, its not that hard to get one here, its NOT that hard to drive, passing on a 2 lane highway is NOT difficult, and making left hand turns are NOT impossible. Its NOT difficult to maintain, most parts are already here or can be in 7 days or less, you CAN daily drive it, they ARE reliable, and NOT all of them have been beet on before they came here.

Besides that Japans 15 year old "junk" is MUCH better than "most" 3 year old cars of North American build.

Not to mention that these RB engines respond VERY well to mods.

Hopefully that helps you a bit.

ScottysZ
05-13-2007, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by stinky_1

Besides that Japans 15 year old &quot;junk&quot; is MUCH better than &quot;most&quot; 3 year old cars of North American build.

You were doin alright right up to there.

katana9x4
05-13-2007, 12:05 PM
What I would do in your situation is find something about cars that you reallllly like. Turbocharged is a good start, that narrows it down.

Try figuring out if you want RWD, AWD, FWD. That'll narrow down the car even more.

Then for me the brand thing would come in.

I like Nissan, so right now, I want a S14 Kouki

Turbo, RWD, etc.

IMO Skylines are awesome cars, and you get a lot or performance potential for the cost - but they are, as somebody above me said for enthusiasts... unless you are willing to shell out some big $$$ every now and then, probably not for you.

Aleks
05-13-2007, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by stinky_1

Besides that Japans 15 year old &quot;junk&quot; is MUCH better than &quot;most&quot; 3 year old cars of North American build.

According to whom?

94SSEi
05-13-2007, 12:39 PM
stinky_1, clearly an expert. :rolleyes:

iceburns288
05-13-2007, 12:45 PM
I definitely take for granted, as you might, driving a new Japanese car. My car has been virtually flawless to own, and I can imagine your RSX has been. The newer Hondas are built very well and should last quite some time. I just don't know if you realize the implications of owning an older car that might not always work like your RSX probably does.

I think you should turbo your RSX, that'd be pretty sweet:thumbsup: . I also think you should gut the crap out of your interior. Light=fast!:D

boosted_88_crx
05-13-2007, 03:30 PM
i'll take the RSX over....and u say ppl tell u that its to much to boost a k series motors...maybe no one knows to much about them lol...hmmm...keep to myself..but check this outCLICK HERE (http://www.cheesefrog.com/forum/showthread.php?t=316)

scboss
05-13-2007, 05:34 PM
honestly the only way to decide on your car is by making a goal of how much power you will be happy with. People think skylines are so hard to maintain but almost every part is interchangable with other nissans, and if not u can pick most things up from auotdream or jdm source and nnot even have to wait. For the price u will get way more power out of a skyline.

rb25 swap+exhaust+fmic+boost controller= a car well over 300 hp for a $5000 upgrade

nj2Type-S
05-15-2007, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Skyline_Addict
personally, I think your RSX Type-S &gt; 15-20 year old Skyline.

speed isn't everything imo, but whatever makes you happy.

:werd:

unless you plan to street race 24/7, i think keeping your rsx-s is a wiser choice. but from the sounds of it, it seems like you just want a fast car so you can beat everyone on the road, lol.

calgarys13
05-15-2007, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by warcaster
honestly the only way to decide on your car is by making a goal of how much power you will be happy with. People think skylines are so hard to maintain but almost every part is interchangable with other nissans, and if not u can pick most things up from auotdream or jdm source and nnot even have to wait. For the price u will get way more power out of a skyline.

rb25 swap+exhaust+fmic+boost controller= a car well over 300 hp for a $5000 upgrade

or you can just buy my 'liner that has everything listed and alot more for $10,000!

arian_ma
05-15-2007, 04:16 PM
Not to mention, your RSX-S has creature comforts such as A/C and climate control, gas mileage above 25 MPG, reliability, and it doesn't smell like a 15+ year old car that's been on a boat for 3 months.
Another vote for the forced induction RSX-S and other mods to support that speed!

canadianskyline
05-15-2007, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by arian_ma
Not to mention, your RSX-S has creature comforts such as A/C and climate control, gas mileage above 25 MPG, reliability, and it doesn't smell like a 15+ year old car that's been on a boat for 3 months.
Another vote for the forced induction RSX-S and other mods to support that speed!

You're a moron. I have AC, climate control, and i get over 30mpg on the hiway and my car is a heavily modded rb25.

The ocean voyage takes like 2 or 3 weeks, and if it stinks....get some fuckin air fresheners.

I do agree, the rsx and skyline are not in the same category. The rsx is newer, more reliable, presumably still under warranty (not if u turbo it), and worth a lot more money than even a modded skyline in stock trim.

If you cant choose between the two then you really dont know what you want.

But ya, skylines are totally hideous looking cars. :rolleyes:

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/3760/skyline181qg4.png
Or basically stock.
http://img303.imageshack.us/img303/1619/skyline23ae4.png

arian_ma
05-15-2007, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by canadianskyline

You're a moron. I have AC, climate control, and i get over 30mpg on the hiway and my car is a heavily modded rb25.

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Also, I don't know if you have noticed this but not everything YOU think is good looking is the same for everyone else. I don't know who you think you are but you can show me pictures all day long and I'll still take a stock RSX-S over an R32. There's obviously a reason you bought a Skyline and I didn't. I could use the same "argument" you used and say:

Basically stock:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v58/pinoymcflurry/DSC01437.jpg

More heavily modified:
http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/6457/gvdmeet1xr2.jpg

Does that make my car better than yours?
:rolleyes:

canadianskyline
05-15-2007, 06:53 PM
No, it doesnt "let me sleep at night", it's fact.

I've driven edmonton and back numerous times and at about 125 km/h and driving nice i get >30 mpg, I've figured this out numerous times and it always ends up being just a tad over 30.

I'd say that's pretty good for a car that I've run low 13's at 110 mph with on bald tires......

I've got nothing against rsx's....and i know as well as anyone that not everyone likes every car....but you saying the r32 is ugly and all this bullshit is the same thing, it's a relative statement and your opinion.

The rest of your post was uninformed and wrong...hence why i called you a moron.

swiftcrx
05-15-2007, 07:03 PM
this went alittle off track if rsxtypes came on here asking about skylines he must have a decent amount of interest in that car so just like everyone else said dont rush into anything, do your research and make sure your not gonna regret it
and if all else fails buy a pulsar:D

arian_ma
05-16-2007, 10:00 AM
No, it doesnt &quot;let me sleep at night&quot;, it's fact.

I've driven edmonton and back numerous times and at about 125 km/h and driving nice i get &gt;30 mpg, I've figured this out numerous times and it always ends up being just a tad over 30.

I'd say that's pretty good for a car that I've run low 13's at 110 mph with on bald tires......

I've got nothing against rsx's....and i know as well as anyone that not everyone likes every car....but you saying the r32 is ugly and all this bullshit is the same thing, it's a relative statement and your opinion.

The rest of your post was uninformed and wrong...hence why i called you a moron.

Sorry dude, I never said the R32 was ugly, nor did I say it didn't have air con. I did assume so hence the implication in my previous post, but I guess I was wrong. Learn something new everyday. Personally, I don't think a GT-R is ugly, the interior does not have anything to say for itself, but regardless, it is a good looking car. I just don't like when people say "I think it's good looking, so that means it is"

R-Audi
05-16-2007, 10:57 AM

But ya, skylines are totally hideous looking cars. :rolleyes:

Or basically stock.
http://img303.imageshack.us/img303/1619/skyline23ae4.png

Hey Chris, I'll bite. Your car is ugly.

ha ha...

403Gemini
05-16-2007, 11:09 AM
Not gonna lie, skyline styling is rather bland. If i was going to buy a early 90's import for style id get a mr2 or a 300zx. But the potential of the output of those cars is unreal and thats what leaves me wanting one :thumbsup:

Teggy
05-16-2007, 11:29 AM
no no no wait.........
Stock....
http://www.importconcern.ca/stock/100144/04.jpg

heavily modified...blam
http://photos-730.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v73/91/22/693490730/n693490730_110094_832.jpg

Teggy
05-16-2007, 11:32 AM
wooops done this twice, uhoh

stinky_1
05-19-2007, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by Aleks

According to whom?

Well, just like everyones post on here, its according to my opinion.

It seems that Beyond has a LOT of "resident experts" on all things skyline. Touting "facts" about what makes the RSX better. Things like "aircon, and climate control". Because surely Nissan (of all companies) did NOT have that kind of technology in the 90's:thumbsup:

It seems the guys who have not ever been close enough to a skyline to smell it are dead set against it. Almost like a straight out hater with no fact.

I dont have brand loyalty. My first post was based solely on the COST for performance.

But since some people seemed to have missed my point the last time around Ill try again.

It will cost you a LOT more money to BUY an RSX, then make it fast than it would for you to buy a skyline and make it fast.

RSX's are quick right outta the box, but by no means should be considered fast. Skylines are quick also right outta the box, but at HALF the cost of the RSX. then for only a couple grand you can make it FAST, and still NOT have as much invested as you do into your stock (quick) rsx.

If its FAST you are looking for, then the skyline is your best bet. (or GTiR;) )

If your looking for a "cute girlie car" then stick with the RSX :drama: and throw a turbo on it.

Now, the haters can jump all over me. You can say I am biased because I drive a skyline. ANd you may be right. I have not seen another car that you can spend this money and get this performance and still have something VERY reliable. Just because its old does not mean its not reliable. Turbo your RSX and see how reliable that is still! I bet the skyline is still quicker and more reliable.

Also, throwing a S2000 up here for arguments sake does not prove a whole lot. Does it? Or am I missing something. Is money not an object now? Why not go right for the Veyron then?? its deff quick, and SEXY! ANd would rape a skyline AND RSX at the same time.

Eleanor
05-19-2007, 07:03 AM

:drool: what kit is that? looks amazing!

Sorath
05-19-2007, 07:37 AM
skylines are slow

ca18det240sx
05-19-2007, 08:37 AM
well, yours is right now

:burnout:

SSQV----------->me...NOW!!!!

Sorath
05-26-2007, 07:59 AM
fag neverrrr it`ll be running, i think its still faster than 90% of the cars on beyond even on 5 cylinders :P

SR240SX
05-26-2007, 08:03 AM
skylines are cool..........:rolleyes:

Sorath
05-26-2007, 08:20 AM
cause ur 240 is very cool, but yes skylines are gay

SR240SX
05-26-2007, 08:27 AM
my 240 isnt cool at all..i take it 4x4 ing frequently:nut: :thumbsup:

katana9x4
05-26-2007, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Sorath