PDA

View Full Version : Restaurants downtown?

krisopotamus
04-24-2007, 02:43 PM
Hey I work at bankers hall. Tomorrow me and a few friends want to go for lunch as our workterms are done this week.

Where should we go downtown?

We want a sit down restaurant and we don't want Fuel or the Metropolitan Grill (aka not spend 30 bucks on a 8oz steak and get a few fries with it). What is a decent place we can go and spend say 15 bucks each and have a nice lunch?

Thanks (and hot waitresses earn bonus points too!)

89coupe
04-24-2007, 03:12 PM
LOL,

you work downtown, if you want a lunch for less then $15/person go to the fastfood court you cheap bastard.

krisopotamus
04-24-2007, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe
LOL,

you work downtown, if you want a lunch for less then $15/person go to the fastfood court you cheap bastard.

I believe I said a sit down restaurant.

Thanks for the constructive criticism but I just had a 35 dollar lunch yesturday (didn't pay tho haha)

I'm a friggen student give me a break...the lunch i had at metro yesturday i wouldnt pay 20 dollars for with my own money. what a ripoff.

Crymson
04-24-2007, 03:15 PM
AYCE sushi tokyo!

Oriental Phoenix in Gulf canada isn't bad, i don't think it's super expensive. Pink pearl is in bankers hall, it's not great though. No idea on servers there.

Dakota's is not bad, and its usually not super busy. They're servers are a B- at best though, but i haven't been in a while.

Is Mango Shiva still open? It's pretty good. No idea about servers.

Unicorn is great if your lunch turns into a "we're done our work term lets not go back to work this afternoon" piss up - Servers are a B.

These are close to Banker's hall, cept for sushi tokyo.

I'm sure you can eat at most of these places for under 20, with no booze.

Id' probably go to either dakotas or unicorn.

You could also hit up Thai Sain or Kublai on the 10th, they're both great. Kublai is mongolian grill, so you're own fatass will determine the price, but a 20$ bowl is pretty tough to finish.

There is another Thai buffet on 8th ave. Rose Garden, it's good -- but make sure you make a reso, and get there early.

snowboard
04-24-2007, 03:26 PM
Nathans, Pied Pickle, Black Cat, Moxies if you wanna jump on the train.

nathans is your best bet, specially if you like russian mail order brides.

89coupe
04-24-2007, 03:31 PM
LOL, walk over to Zips pizza on 6thave & 5st. Its downstairs, you could probably get a large pizza and a jug of beer to split with each other for around $25

krisopotamus
04-24-2007, 03:51 PM
We're going to milestones on the recommendation of a co-worker.

Thanks

Justing
04-24-2007, 03:57 PM
^^ i dont think its priced much different than the met... soooo for 15 you probably wont get a whole lot.

bankers hall go to the orchid room
or walk down 8th, there's a pho place called tamarin (sp?) you can get some good pho for under 15

LaDeeDaDeeDa
04-24-2007, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by krisopotamus
Hey I work at bankers hall. Tomorrow me and a few friends

LOL I stopped reading here - go back and finish your grade 3 english. And you work in bankers hall with that kind of english? LOL, what are you a janitor there?

LaDeeDaDeeDa
04-24-2007, 05:24 PM

I believe I said a sit down restaurant.

Thanks for the constructive criticism but I just had a 35 dollar lunch yesturday (didn't pay tho haha)

I'm a friggen student give me a break...the lunch i had at metro yesturday i wouldnt pay 20 dollars for with my own money. what a ripoff.

You sound like a total cheapskate - why dont you go hit the mustard seed and you get free lunch.

89coupe
04-24-2007, 05:41 PM
We're going to milestones on the recommendation of a co-worker.

Thanks

Milestones is no different then Earls, Fuel or The Met.

krisopotamus
04-24-2007, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by LaDeeDaDeeDa

LOL I stopped reading here - go back and finish your grade 3 english. And you work in bankers hall with that kind of english? LOL, what are you a janitor there?

Fuck english. I am an engineer.

I said I am a student, sorry if I don't want to spend 30 dollars on LUNCH!

Supper ok, but 30 dollars for lunch is ridiculous.

Hmmm, did my co-worker lie to me because he said that it is all reasonable

pinoyhero
04-24-2007, 07:16 PM
Dude if its you last day then splurge dont got with some cheap joint, hit somewhere decent, spend 30 vs 15 bucks, the 15 you spend will mean nothing in 3 years when your working full time.

mekeni
04-24-2007, 07:43 PM
paul's pizza

pinoyhero
04-24-2007, 08:45 PM

Get used to the 30 bucks you'll be paying it al the time whe nyou work down town as an engineering demandind a starting sal of $60K

FishPoo
04-24-2007, 08:45 PM

Haha, of course it's "reasonable".

Everything downtown costs more and that is reasonable.

pinoyhero
04-24-2007, 08:48 PM
Final thought on this one, if you think is not reasonalbe then send a message to the restaurant and dont eat there, thats the beauty of a free market. If enough people do it, which they wont, then the places will be foreced to lower their prices. As noted though people will keep going so you'll have to achieve gratification by knowing that all the other suckers are getting ripped off!

jsn
04-24-2007, 09:02 PM
wow why are so many people hating on this guy? Whats wrong with someone wanting a cheap meal every so often? Especially if he is a student who has to pay $5000 in tuition every year. Can't you just answer his question instead of calling him a cheapskate? :drama:

To get back to the question... you can't go wrong with pho. Cheap and good :thumbsup:

krisopotamus
04-24-2007, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by jsn
wow why are so many people hating on this guy? Whats wrong with someone wanting a cheap meal every so often? I'm not saying I never go to expensive restaurants but whats wrong with eating cheap every now and then? Especially if he is a student who has to pay $5000 in tuition every year. Can't you just answer his question instead of calling him a cheapskate? :drama:

To get back to the question... you can't go wrong with pho. Cheap and good :thumbsup:

Closer to 7000 after books and co-op fees too. Plus plates for my car and gas and living expenses.

Thanks jsn :thumbsup: at least someone knows where I am coming from. Like I said, I ate expensive on monday I just want to go to a sit down restaurant for lunch instead of the food court, have a decent lunch for 20 bucks with a beer.

Euro_Trash
04-24-2007, 09:22 PM
Haha best lunch thread EVER

Si_FlyGuy
04-24-2007, 09:33 PM
I find Murrietta's to be of great value, but you might end up paying a tad more. You might be able to squeeze it under $20 if you skimp, but it's sure a heck of a lot better than paying $15 at Milestone's.

I remember that there's a 20% discount for take out at the Orchid Room, or you can get a small takeout box for $10 at Mango Shiva that'll totally fill you up.

Thai Saon's well over your price range if you don't want to go hungry, but they're one of the best Thai joints in town.

Si_FlyGuy
04-24-2007, 09:36 PM

Like I said, I ate expensive on monday I just want to go to a sit down restaurant for lunch instead of the food court, have a decent lunch for 20 bucks with a beer.

How can you eat expensive when you didn't pay?

:rofl: Just bugging ya. I know how student life is.

Euro_Trash
04-24-2007, 09:47 PM
Eating out once isn't going to break the budget. Think of us poor guys who still have to take the girlfriend out for nice dinners and shit while we are in school!!

Isaiah
04-24-2007, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Si_FlyGuy
I find Murrietta's to be of great value, but you might end up paying a tad more. You might be able to squeeze it under $20 if you skimp, but it's sure a heck of a lot better than paying $15 at Milestone's.

I tried Murrietta's for lunch this past Saturday. I thought their menu selection was terrible and didn't at all fit the look and feel of the restaurant, the food was mediocre, the servers were punchy (not to be rude so we'll leave it at punchy) and it was really overpriced for what you get. I've had MUCH better lunches at Earls/Joey's/Moxies for the same or a few dollars less.

I contemplated giving them a review but a lot of people have already been there and it's been around for a while so I didn't think anyone would care.

Coles notes: Murrietta's = big fat :thumbsdow

Altezza
04-24-2007, 11:32 PM
I haven't returned to Murietta's since they spilled wine on two people in our party (one being me). Waitress didn't even come over to help clean up her mistake. Not only that, they made numerous mistakes on the food orders. I was very tempted to remove the mandatory gratuity from the bill, but didn't want to cause a scene since it was a special event.

I decided I'd give them another chance a few months back, but when I called to confirm my reservation, they didn't even have it listed. Service there is really lacking as of late. Many others have echoed this same sentiment.

edit: I also don't understand why people are giving the thread poster such a hard time. So what if he doesn't want to spend a bundle on lunch? He's here to ask your opinion based on his budget. With that said, a $20 budget won't get you "much" for DT lunch outside of a food court especially if you want a beer. You could do it, but if it's your last day, I'd say go have lunch somewhere and be a little less mindful of the cost.

LaDeeDaDeeDa
04-25-2007, 12:11 AM

Closer to 7000 after books and co-op fees too. Plus plates for my car and gas and living expenses.

Thanks jsn :thumbsup: at least someone knows where I am coming from. Like I said, I ate expensive on monday I just want to go to a sit down restaurant for lunch instead of the food court, have a decent lunch for 20 bucks with a beer.

LOL meet up with me some day and Ill show you some good lunch. Why dont you go to the Sunterra? They have tons of stuff there. Or since you want some punani go to the french maid. I work 3 blocks from there.

Also I would avoid Murriettas at all costs - had a friend who found a rat tail in his dish. Not kidding.

krisopotamus
04-25-2007, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by Si_FlyGuy

How can you eat expensive when you didn't pay?

:rofl: Just bugging ya. I know how student life is.

Working for big oil companies sometimes has a few benefits.

Si_FlyGuy
04-25-2007, 08:38 AM

Working for big oil companies sometimes has a few benefits.

You missed my point. You can't claim that you ate expensive if you didn't fork out a cent. :rofl:

snowboard
04-25-2007, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by mekeni
paul's pizza

woa woa woa

you all seemed to miss this one.
fuck i love pauls special.

me&you
04-25-2007, 08:44 AM

LOL meet up with me some day and Ill show you some good lunch. Why dont you go to the Sunterra? They have tons of stuff there. Or since you want some punani go to the french maid. I work 3 blocks from there.

Also I would avoid Murriettas at all costs - had a friend who found a rat tail in his dish. Not kidding.

Alberta is considered the largest Rat-free area in the world.

Back to the OP.

Try Finn McCools.

I'm not sure how firm you are with your $20 tab, but that really will be tough. A beer for $5 (or more), plus a pub-style meal for $10 doesn't leave a lot of room once tax and tip are added...

modded46
04-25-2007, 08:49 AM

You sound like a total cheapskate - why dont you go hit the mustard seed and you get free lunch.

HAHAA 0wned!!

:clap:

it's very simple really, if you don't want a $15.00 meal, DON'T EAT steak for lunch!!

So many other places.. Glory if India, Subway, various pho places, chinese food on centre st. Shit even MT Tucker's is like 14.95 and that's all you can eat.. Brewster's, Moxie's even though the service is shit.

People need to wake up and realize this isn't (insert random small SK town here) example. Warman??!?!

krisopotamus
04-25-2007, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by modded46

HAHAA 0wned!!

:clap:

it's very simple really, if you don't want a $15.00 meal, DON'T EAT steak for lunch!!

So many other places.. Glory if India, Subway, various pho places, chinese food on centre st. Shit even MT Tucker's is like 14.95 and that's all you can eat.. Brewster's, Moxie's even though the service is shit.

People need to wake up and realize this isn't (insert random small SK town here) example. Warman??!?!

WHERE DID I SAY I WANTED A STEAK? Is there no where in this f'n place you can get something like fish and chips or something like that for like under 15 bucks a plate?

Fuck, I didn't realize everyone in Calgary was a high rolling rich executive.

89coupe
04-25-2007, 10:52 AM
I'm pretty sure most of the bar/restaurants in downtown serve a hamburger and fries for around $10.00

5hift
04-25-2007, 11:53 AM

Fuck, I didn't realize everyone in Calgary was a high rolling rich executive.

You have to remember this is Beyond. Everyone here drives drives a expensive car, lives in a mansion with only the newest gear, can bench press 300+ lbs and only dates supermodels.

Give me a fucking break, Krisopotamus creates a thread looking for a sit down place to eat lunch for around $15, and it somehow turns into a thread about how he's some cheap guy who should learn to spend money? Some of you guys need to take a look at yourselves. You have the same guys calling the OP out for being cheap, embarassing themselves with jokes for lowballs in the marketplace.

Mitsu3000gt
04-25-2007, 01:08 PM
I go to a different restraunt every week downtown, and here are my favourites:

Centini's
Saltlik (very reasonable too!)
Chicago Chop House

Ones I hated:

Murriettas - played loud music resembling a dieing cat the whole time and everyone's food was terrible.

Milstones (i love their other locations) - anyways the downtown one didn't get a single order right at our table, with medium rare steaks arriving as fully cooked hockey pucks.

If you want a good place that doesn't break the bank go to Saltlik, you won't be dissapointed. Their steak sandwitches and pulled pork is 14-15$, and awesome steaks for $24. Some of my favorite calamari too.

krisopotamus
04-25-2007, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
I go to a different restraunt every week downtown, and here are my favourites:

Centini's
Saltlik (very reasonable too!)
Chicago Chop House

Ones I hated:

Murriettas - played loud music resembling a dieing cat the whole time and everyone's food was terrible.

Milstones (i love their other locations) - anyways the downtown one didn't get a single order right at our table, with medium rare steaks arriving as fully cooked hockey pucks.

If you want a good place that doesn't break the bank go to Saltlik, you won't be dissapointed. Their steak sandwitches and pulled pork is 14-15$, and awesome steaks for $24. Some of my favorite calamari too.

There is the reply I was looking for.

Just got back from lunch at Milestones. Burger, fries, and a pint for 16 bucks. Pretty good burgers. It was busy so the service was crap,

I will have to try that Saltlik place out some time...next workterm I guess

turbotrip
04-25-2007, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by 5hift

You have to remember this is Beyond. Everyone here drives drives a expensive car, lives in a mansion with only the newest gear, can bench press 300+ lbs and only dates supermodels.

i cant bench 300+ :dunno: :rofl:

Euro_Trash
04-25-2007, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by turbotrip

i cant bench 300+ :dunno: :rofl:

That's ok my gear is 1 year old... :poosie:

asp integra
04-26-2007, 12:33 AM
holy grill across from mec is really good, they do burgers and paninis and sweet potato fries :drool:
nothing fancy, but very good food

LaDeeDaDeeDa
04-26-2007, 06:38 AM

There is the reply I was looking for.

Just got back from lunch at Milestones. Burger, fries, and a pint for 16 bucks. Pretty good burgers. It was busy so the service was crap,

I will have to try that Saltlik place out some time...next workterm I guess

I happened to be at Milestones as well yesterday, wait...there was a guy who ran out short changing the bill, that must have been you LOL.

Nah, milesstones is out of my budget, the mustard seed ftw. :love:

Mixalot27
04-26-2007, 06:52 AM

I happened to be at Milestones as well yesterday, wait...there was a guy who ran out short changing the bill, that must have been you LOL.

:rofl: Way too Funny :rofl:

If I only want to drop like $20 on meal and a beer, I usually just hit up a neighborhood pub type of deal.

krisopotamus
04-26-2007, 08:27 AM

Nope I dropped a 20 for my $15.30 meal

I don't know if that really happened but that would be funny to see someone run out after droppin a 10 on the table for their meal