PDA

View Full Version : premeum or supreme

StrokeD z
06-08-2003, 04:43 PM
i was wondering is i can use premeum or supreme in my car and will it do damage...btw i have 330 000km

preludeSR
06-08-2003, 04:47 PM
lol..........dont do it man, 92 octane gas will make your engine seize and blow up.......

Abom
06-08-2003, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by preludeSR
lol..........dont do it man, 92 octane gas will make your engine seize and blow up.......

:rofl:

StrokeD z
06-08-2003, 04:50 PM
ok thanx lol

fast95pony
06-08-2003, 04:58 PM
Premium fuel does not give you more power. Unless your car requires Premium as per Honda , or you have modified your engine with a higher compression,added a supercharger or turbo, or using nitrous oxide ,or are experiencing pinging , there is no need to spend extra cash on premium fuel.

just use regular gas , and send me a nickel for every litre you buy..;)

Abom
06-08-2003, 06:03 PM
Premium fuel burns better and cleaner. Agreed, it does nothing for better performance. Mostly just a preference thing :thumbsup:

^SkylinE^
06-09-2003, 12:00 AM
The higher the octane the more resistant the fuel is to detonation at higher temperaters and presures that is why you need to run high octane fuel in high compression motors, Turbo and supercharged cars! If you have a stock accord go with 87 octane it will do the job!

the-240sx-guy
06-09-2003, 12:30 AM
i usually pump 87. but since my manual says to use 91, i just wanted to see what difference it would make. so i used 91 for about 1-2 weeks or so and my car had trouble starting up. it would stall right away even when my clutch was engaged. i had to step on the gas and drive for a few moments until it would stop doing it. this happens sometimes during red lights and stop signs too if it didnt have constant gas going into it

i switched back to 87 last week and all is back to normal

no noticeable change in performance or mileage either.

so yup, dont use premium unless you have to

GTS Jeff
06-09-2003, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by the-240sx-guy
i usually pump 87. but since my manual says to use 91, i just wanted to see what difference it would make. so i used 91 for about 1-2 weeks or so and my car had trouble starting up. it would stall right away even when my clutch was engaged. i had to step on the gas and drive for a few moments until it would stop doing it. this happens sometimes during red lights and stop signs too if it didnt have constant gas going into it

i switched back to 87 last week and all is back to normal

no noticeable change in performance or mileage either.

so yup, dont use premium unless you have to it might have meant 91 RON....which is actually 87.

Ben
06-09-2003, 12:42 AM
damn 11:1 compression :banghead: :banghead:

core_upt
06-09-2003, 02:10 AM
stick with your manual enough you have serious mods (ie. turbo/superchargers). If it's an old accord, doen't waste your money.

benyl
06-09-2003, 09:05 AM
In my accord, higher Octane actually degrades performance... there must be other cars out there that are the same.

don't waste your cash

RiceCake
06-09-2003, 12:44 PM
Hmm... what if my manual reccomends using 87 for day to day and 91 for 'performanc' driving? :dunno:

I'm just using the happy medium of 89 octane. :)

atomic
06-09-2003, 02:03 PM
higher octane fuel does not burn cleaner unless it contains some sort of additative .. which is useless in motors requiring high octane .

high octane fuel in a low compression vehicle can cause damage by clogging the cat and leaving carbon deposits on valves and affect exhaust scavenging .

if you're manual says use 87 . use 87

if you're manual says use 90+, use 90+

GTS Jeff
06-09-2003, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by RiceCake
Hmm... what if my manual reccomends using 87 for day to day and 91 for 'performanc' driving? :dunno:

I'm just using the happy medium of 89 octane. :) ten it means the qr25 has a knock sensor

atomic
06-09-2003, 02:21 PM
oh yah . i should have mentioned knock sensors . it's a weighted contact switch attached to the block to recognize detonation .

but be careful . some performance engines (not you civic ex guys :P) have strict cam/shaft alignment from factory and even retarding timing for shitty fuel isn't going to prevent damage .

it's very easy to damage your internals by putting low octane fuel in a high compression engine. and it _will_ voild your warranty . the knock sensor is mainly there to "help" prevent damage .

calarina
06-09-2003, 02:44 PM
Premium will make the engine run hotter, and help clean out your fuel system a bit (so I was told anyway...). Don't constantly run your car on premium, unless your manual says that you use higher octane. Some cars will run better on premium, or mid-grade than 87, and other cars will run just as well on regular.

I don't know about you guys, but whenever I have put premium octane in my car, it runs better, and I do have a little better performance. I don't have my manual anymore (I have NO frickin' clue where it went), so I don't know what the recommended octane for my car is. But sometimes with some cars, higher octane fuel will help performance; especially higher compression vehicles, like race-type engines (Integra Type R for example) or turbo/supercharged engines.

mad_psyentist
06-10-2003, 07:18 AM
My car doesn't run horribly on premium, but I notice some rather annoying performance difs. I notice small hops in my idle if the octane's too high. My car normally idles at about 0.3 (it's really damned low cuz of the intake), but was idling almost at the 1K mark when I filled her with premium one day. Then I noticed her idle would actually bounce pretty badly and shudder the car if I put a higher octane fuel in. I first noticed it sittin at a light. I reved the engine mainly to fuel my own ego... as the needle's fallin, it hits around 1K, bounces quite noticably (I can feel the engine shudder) and then settles. Once I put the norm. octane in, she ran smooth as silk.

rage2
06-10-2003, 10:42 AM
For the last time...

The higher the octane, the lower the energy content, but the higher the knock resistance.

If your car is designed to run on 87, it will NOT make more power with 89 or 91 octane. It will make LESS power. Because it makes less power, you have to be on the throttle more, which uses MORE fuel, so fuel economy suffers. The only time you need to move up octane is if your car is designed to take advantage of the higher octane. Variables such as high compression, forced induction, very advanced timing.

For older cars that designed for 87 and is burning oil, the oil in the combustion chambers has the same effect as reducing the octane rating, so in those cases you may get benefits from running 89. But HIGHLY DOUBTFUL that it will gain anything from 91 octane.

As for calarina's Integra, I used to have the same car, it runs on 87 octane.