PDA

View Full Version : Police Question

Talies R
06-08-2003, 08:53 PM
When are cops allowed to start taking apart your stereo & other electronics & also including gauges/controllers to check serial numbers, and to see receipts etc. Are they allowed to do this at at a pullover?

Redlyne_mr2
06-08-2003, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Talies R
When are cops allowed to start taking apart your stereo & other electronics & also including gauges/controllers to check serial numbers, and to see receipts etc. Are they allowed to do this at at a pullover?
Not without your consent or a warrant

Talies R
06-08-2003, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

So, you are legally allowed to refuse them access to tearing apart your car and you can ask for a search warrant?

Redlyne_mr2
06-08-2003, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Talies R

So, you are legally allowed to refuse them access to tearing apart your car and you can ask for a search warrant?
Yep, its your personal property, its like them coming into your house and going through your things, they can't do it without a warrant...or...if you give them reason to search you like try to outrun them or you're completely hammered, but even so they cant tear your car apart

Weapon_R
06-08-2003, 09:52 PM
What if they just say that they have "reasonable" suspicion that there is something in your car?

Ben
06-08-2003, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
What if they just say that they have "reasonable" suspicion that there is something in your car?

Prove it, tell them they can bring their proof. Write down their badge info, name, and inform them that this will be filed with their IA department.

babyblueg2
06-08-2003, 09:57 PM
they cant with out your permission
or the JPs permission

benyl
06-08-2003, 10:22 PM
what about probable cause... or is that just a TV thing?

ryder_23
06-08-2003, 10:38 PM
If a cop ever says, CAN WE SEARCH UR CAR, that means hes asking, you just say nope, and he cant do anything, if he sees a gun sittin in back seat, he then has a reason to search your car, but without anything they cant. We got stopped at a checkstop, said u have any liquor or drugs in car, i said no, he said, can we search ur car, i said nope, and he said, ok, move along....

Sai
06-09-2003, 12:22 AM
lol@@!

Alpine Autowerks
06-09-2003, 06:10 AM
A car is not a private place like a house is are you guys sure a warrant is needed ?

Gotrek
06-09-2003, 07:17 AM
Why don't you guys ask here, it's a great forum
But make sure you cover all the details in your question, these are real cops don't do a whatif situation, just tell them exactly what happneed and whether it was right or not.

http://forums.realpolice.net/forumdisplay.php?forumid=3

mwmhong
06-09-2003, 08:17 AM
In Canada, they CAN conduct a search of your vehicle without a warrant and without your permission.
This is under VERY special circumstances where obtaining a warrant would be impractical.

gcycheun
06-09-2003, 09:03 AM
I've had my car searched....cops do need a warrant but however if they feel that you have weapon such as guns they are allowed to search for weapons. This was part of that new gun law that came into effect a couple of years agi

tommy1223
06-09-2003, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

ya as far as i know, they cant go through ur car without u granting them access or a warrant. But some cops will get suspicious if u dont them and think you are hiding something from them. They will try to make u grant them access by playing with words making u say yes or send out a dog to sniff if they are THAT bored.

JustinL
06-09-2003, 10:07 AM
You can always ask the cop to inform you of your rights. If he lies to you about that then he is in deep. Just be nice about it, like talking to a ref.

Justin

RC-Cola
06-09-2003, 12:08 PM
My understanding is that your car is you personnal property, just like your house. They can not search it without you permission or a warrant...

However, they can force a search if they believe a henious crime is being committed, such as you have your girlfriend gagged and tied up in the trunk. My understanding is that before they proceed with this they must inform you of your rights and tell you why they are proceeding to search your car i.e. "Sir, there is a loud thumping sound coming from your trunk and I think it's you girlfriend gaged and tied up, I am going to open your trunk to inspect it."

Oh and by the way if you have a gun in the backseat, as long as you have it properly cased and you have the proper documentation (a FAC) you will have no problem because it is perfectly legal. :thumbsup:

aboveandbeyond
06-09-2003, 12:17 PM
ok i just takled to my friend who is taing criminal justice and this is what he said......"police cannot search your car unless they have probable cause.....like you have a weapon showing...you try to out run them.....and they can just pull you over because they need a reason like your breaking the law.....and they have to either give you a ticket or let you go.....so if they said i pulled you over for "looking suspicous" its not a good enough reason....hope that helps

EnRich
06-09-2003, 01:58 PM
My car was once searched without a warrent because some fuck rated on me, saying I was carrying weapons in my car... They actually took me and 2 friends into this room where they asked where we got these things and what we intended to do withit.... They had no warrent... Fucking pigs....

Rich

sexualbanana
06-09-2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by EnRich
My car was once searched without a warrent because some fuck rated on me, saying I was carrying weapons in my car... They actually took me and 2 friends into this room where they asked where we got these things and what we intended to do withit.... They had no warrent... Fucking pigs....

Rich

because it was reported by a 'witness' i think they had cause to search your car. i think as long as their was sufficient reasoning, they can search. but i'm not terribly sure though.

P.S. don't be saying ''fucking pigs" on here.

4wheeldrift
06-09-2003, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana
P.S. don't be saying ''fucking pigs" on here. Not like its stopped him before, or his self righteous whining about the police has gotten him anything other than a good flaming (on numerous occasions now). Like it or not, if someone said you were doing something you shouldn't have been or had something you didn't, that constitutes probable cause and they can search your vehicle. If the system didn't work that way crime stoppers would be a very inefficient program indeed.

Alpine Autowerks
06-09-2003, 06:03 PM

Rich

Strange
I would be angry at the f***ing rat not the guys doing their job

B17a
06-10-2003, 07:43 AM

Rich

Let's just say I ripped off all your shit and one of your buddies or you witnesses this andcalls the cops. According to your impression of what the police should be able to do, they'd pull me over, I'd say "fuck you fucking pig", they'd say: "do you have stolen good in your car", I'd say "eat shit and die, you can't do nothin'", they'd say: "you're right, have a nice day sir". The point is, you'll think otherwise when the shoe is on the other foot.:D