PDA

View Full Version : Stop the WHINING!

Ice712
04-27-2007, 10:04 AM
I heard a story on the news today regarding low income housing...it went something like this.

A girl called into a radio station and basically said that she finished her degree and is currently working a job that pays her $10/hour. She is overwhelmed by student debt and she was angry that our governments don't provide cheap housing for people like her.

:banghead:

It's the governments fault that she decided to waste 4-5 years in university getting a degree that has nothing to do with the real world. It's the governments fault that she only gets paid $10/h working at Starbucks.

COME ON why do people in this city/province expect handouts from the government? Here's an idea...work harder and work smarter and have a little pride and provide for yourself and your family (like the majority of Albertans).

JRSC00LUDE
04-27-2007, 10:10 AM
I heard they pay up to $14/hour at wendy's in Fort Mac, perhaps she should move.

Toms-SC
04-27-2007, 10:10 AM
Dude, no man, just no.

I can feel for her case. All new graduates no matter what the pay will not really be able to afford a place without going in with a bunch of room mates. This 'Boom' is only really helping those that are established already.

Super_Geo
04-27-2007, 10:35 AM
There's an element of truth to it though... what do people expect when they go to university to take an English/Philosphy/Sociology/Theology/History major? To make >$50,000/year starting (which is more than what 80% of Canadians make)?

If you have an arts degree, you can either:

- Get an entry level job that's available to anyone with a high school education (with a slight edge in the hiring process because you have a university degree)
- Go get your Masters or Ph.D and become marketable... and become thousands more in debt
- Go do more schooling to become a professional (lawyer, accountant, doctor)
- Go to teacher's college and become a teacher. (I know quite a few people with arts degrees that went down this road, fulfilling the saying 'those who can't do, teach')

Or try getting a job with the government... I have a friend who took International Development Studies at McGill. She found a job working at the Canada Revenue Agency and made $22/hr, which is paying her way into law school. I think right now she's trying to decide between Osgoode or UBC. So the girl in the article shouldn't bitch, if you have ambition you can do a lot with an Arts degree. Too bad that girl only has ambition enough to get a $10/hr job.

3g4u
04-27-2007, 10:35 AM
toms-sc :thumbsup: - For sure, i mean were looking for a house right now and ill tell you, you dont get much for half a million dollars. Now i have been saving and whatnot and all school debts are paid off but i would hate to get out of school right now with debts and try to start a life.

SilverGS
04-27-2007, 10:37 AM
What degree did she get?

I don't know about other industries but it seems that the IT and engineering sectors have a hard time finding people period.

I would have to agree to a certain point. She could work as a waitress and make $15-$20/hour when you factor in tips and with tips its mostly tax free

sexualbanana
04-27-2007, 10:52 AM
The degree she has is irrelevant.

I bet she was one of those people that simply went to school and went home (social life aside), and didn't bother to contribute to student life via clubs, nor did they volunteer anywhere, or take on any leadership roles in any capacity.

My money is on the fact that she expected her degree to do the talking, which it doesn't.

arian_ma
04-27-2007, 10:52 AM
Man, you go into engineering and they are BEGGING people to work for them.
I just finished second year Engineering and all of my friends and I have found summer jobs at engineering firms paying upwards of $20 an hour. That's not even internship!
You wanna take retard studies in school, don't expect anyone to treat you otherwise.

tictactoe2004
04-27-2007, 10:59 AM
People think life is easy.. guess what, it's not. If you want to get ahead in todays world you have to work smart and be good at what you do. I don't understand why someone who has just left school even thinks that they can go out and buy a house right off the bat... A lot of people started with condo's and apartments, thats life. Just wait and see what people say if there's a crash in the real estate market..

To whine about your job is the dumbest thing in the world.. if you don't like it, quit and find a better one. If you can't it's because your not as good as you think you are... and maybe, just maybe like in this girls case, she fucked up... She paved the road she wanted to take... it's no ones fault but her own that she paved a road into the side of a mountain..

phreezee
04-27-2007, 10:59 AM
It's not what degree you have. Sometimes companies just want to see that you have the determination and drive to finish a degree. And sometimes you need to have completed a Bachelors just to be considered for management. In the end it pays off if you work hard and move up, but it's always tough starting out.

Schwa
04-27-2007, 12:25 PM
Reminds me of that engineering elitist thread, but I will side with arian_ma and super_geo on this one.

Most of the degrees in University are pointless. Too many people go to school because they're told "thats the next logical step" after high school, with no real vision in mind.

Fire_chickin
04-27-2007, 12:44 PM
For some reason so many people in this (my) generation have grown up with an overblown sense of entitlement. They think everything should be handed to them by the government. School should be free, housing should be subsidized, doctors at their beckoning call everytime they stub a toe, etc...

It's absurd. Grow up. Work 2 or 3 jobs if you're not getting paid enough at one. Room mates are a fact of life. Deal with it. Everyone has to pay their dues and I for one don't want my tax dollars going to pay them for you.

l8braker
04-27-2007, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Fire_chickin
For some reason so many people in this (my) generation have grown up with an overblown sense of entitlement. They think everything should be handed to them by the government. School should be free, housing should be subsidized, doctors at their beckoning call everytime they stub a toe, etc...

It's absurd. Grow up. Work 2 or 3 jobs if you're not getting paid enough at one. Room mates are a fact of life. Deal with it. Everyone has to pay their dues and I for one don't want my tax dollars going to pay them for you.

Sense of entitlement as well as wanting everything RIGHT NOW.

TimG
04-27-2007, 12:53 PM
i blame computers and the internet.

SilverGS
04-27-2007, 02:39 PM
Getting any degree will show that you are capable of getting one and will help you get a job over someone with no post secondary, however, I agree with Super_Geo that the degree you choose will help determine what kind of job you may be able to get.

My sister was planning on taking an Arts degree. I convinced her that it would be harder to find a job with an Arts degree so she did Comp Sci instead and found a job within a few months of graduating.

Either way there are lots of jobs out there paying more than $10 an hour that don't need any degree. She just needs to go out and take the time and effort to get one.

Lex350
04-27-2007, 06:14 PM
University has nothing to do with the real world...that's one of the reasons why students coming out of these have such unrealistic expectations.

Schwa
04-27-2007, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by rotten42
University has nothing to do with the real world...that's one of the reasons why students coming out of these have such unrealistic expectations.

I disagree with that. Most, but not all, is pretty much useless. But my oil and gas and chemical engineer friends are doing pretty relevant stuff.

Isaiah
04-27-2007, 06:56 PM
I can relate. Before my degree, I was making a lot more than a lot of people who have degrees. It has a lot to do with how you're searching for a job and how you market yourself too.

Notwithstanding, I have a friend who's doing a degree in supply chain management and I asked her what the hell she plans on doing with that when she graduates. Her answer: "Well, manage a supply chain."

So I asked her what it means and her answer, "I don't know, but the salary's pretty good."

4 year degree and you don't even know what you're doing when you get out? Personally, I think that unless you're going into law or medicine, you should have a well established post-degree employment plan, well grounded and realistic salary expectations, and know what your future holds. If you invest your time and money into a post secondary education, you should be smart enough to know what it's going to get you.

dino_martini
04-27-2007, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by TimG
i blame computers and the internet.

I blame rap music!

I wonder how this lady spent her Ralph Bucks.:dunno:

kertejud
04-27-2007, 08:51 PM
Isaiah really hit the nail on the head, I odn't know how many people I met in university who had no clue what they were going to use their degrees for, most of them however were having it all paid for by their parents so university was basically a free vacation. Naturally afterwards, they expect everything to come just as easy as before.

Most people I know who have had to pay their own way with loads of student debts actually had a plan, even if they were choosing the 'lesser degrees.' They were basically paying their own way and didn't want to waste all that money to go on and do something they didn't want to do. One of my best friends from uni was a history major and he had no illusions of what life would be like trying to find a job, but he knew what he wanted to do with it and that he would have to scrape by for a while getting there.

Lex350
04-27-2007, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Schwa

I disagree with that. Most, but not all, is pretty much useless. But my oil and gas and chemical engineer friends are doing pretty relevant stuff.

I'm not talking core content...I mean more in the way of preparing a student for the other aspects of the working worls. I with every major should have a postion of their program where they teach basic business concepts ans well as some on ethics.

Lex350
04-27-2007, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by kertejud
Isaiah really hit the nail on the head, I odn't know how many people I met in university who had no clue what they were going to use their degrees for, most of them however were having it all paid for by their parents so university was basically a free vacation. Naturally afterwards, they expect everything to come just as easy as before.

Most people I know who have had to pay their own way with loads of student debts actually had a plan, even if they were choosing the 'lesser degrees.' They were basically paying their own way and didn't want to waste all that money to go on and do something they didn't want to do. One of my best friends from uni was a history major and he had no illusions of what life would be like trying to find a job, but he knew what he wanted to do with it and that he would have to scrape by for a while getting there.

I know what you mean. When I went to University rigfht out of hight school I was going to major in Philosophy!!! I came to my sober reality one morning in a 400 level course when I looked around the room at all the freaks in my class and realized that none of them would ever get a job or get laid.:D

ON the other hand when I went back to school in my late twentties for design. I knew exactly what the course was a bout and where I would apply it when I got out. I also took the Coop woek term option so I got a taste of the industry before I graduated.

Super_Geo
04-28-2007, 12:29 AM
I think it's because people are afraid of getting off of the conveyer belt. When you're in school you don't have to make decisions for yourself... once you're on a track you follow it and jump through whatever it throws at you without having to question why.

A lot of people graduate high school and don't know what to do with themselves... so they go to university and pick a major on a whim because it seemingly puts off the 'what am I going to do with myself' decision. I knew a bunch of people taking philosphy or sociology who had no idea what kind of job their degree would get them, but planned on using it as a stepping stone to go to law school... while knowing very little about what being a lawyer is like except that 'lawyers make a lot.' They actually don't... unless you work on Bay St. with a major, most make a lot less than people think.

Anyway, bottom line... people would rather avoid difficult decisions. School's great for that.

sexualbanana
04-28-2007, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by SilverGS
Getting any degree will show that you are capable of getting one and will help you get a job over someone with no post secondary, however, I agree with Super_Geo that the degree you choose will help determine what kind of job you may be able to get.

The degree you go for does not determine anything in terms of a post-school career path. Granted, there are technical fields out there that teach you things that you absolutely need to know to effectively do the job. Accounting, finance, comp sci, engineering, being among those fields.

But for arts, communications, even science if you don't plan on going to grad school is just another way of selling yourself and saying that "Yes, I am capable of learning and working under tight deadlines. I work well under pressure. I'm mature enough to be a self-starter in an environment where there can be hundreds of distractions."

In my company, we have people from all sorts of backgrounds. Some of MBAs, some have history degrees, others have commerce degrees. As part of our interviewing process, we don't ask, nor do we really care, what your major is. Or, even what your grades were. The main things we look for are a) you have a degree which means you're capable of doing good things; b) what do you think you got out of your time in university; c) what was life for you like while you were in university?

The biggest deciding factor in our process is what the candidate did with their time. You could have a 4.0 in the hardest faculty out there, but if that meant all you did was study and go to class, it's safe to assume that you don't have a personality, making you hard to work with; or, you simply do the work for the class/company and you go home, this we interpret as you operate under the radar and never take any risks.

01RedDX
04-28-2007, 12:35 AM

sneek
04-28-2007, 01:18 AM
lol shit she must be really dumb. Pretty much any person with half a brain (me), can find a job that pays $10+ within a day. Timmys pays more than that and they hire 14yr old kids on the spot.

redline
04-28-2007, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by Fire_chickin

:werd:

A baller house is not a right a year out of school either is a good job, you have to earn both.

I am tired of hearing the boom is screwing me out of my baller life style i was promised...:drama:

max_boost
04-28-2007, 11:44 AM
How do you think new immigrants feel when they come here with zero education, zero work experience, culture shock, no friends/family and can't even speak a word of English. F' that. I ain't feeling bad for that bitch!

At least she didn't blame her degree saying it was useless. She's blaming the government haha :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

TimG
04-28-2007, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by dino_martini

I blame rap music!

I wonder how this lady spent her Ralph Bucks.:dunno:

no, i'm serious. computers and internet.

we're so used to being able to hop online and find whatever we want whenever we want. it's only natural that this is spilling over into other parts of life where people want that same kind of instant access to everything and not have to wait for it.

TomcoPDR
04-28-2007, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
How do you think new immigrants feel when they come here with zero education, zero work experience, culture shock, no friends/family and can't even speak a word of English. F' that. I ain't feeling bad for that bitch!

At least she didn't blame her degree saying it was useless. She's blaming the government haha :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:werd:

People need to take more RESPONSIBILITY with their own life's decisions.

Key points:

- Take responsiblity for the decisions and actions you make. (i.e. in career, life, friends, etc..)
- Once you've anyalized and made a decision, NEVER LOOK BACK or dull on the past.
- In terms of a job and career path (money aside for now), You need to have PASSION for what you want to do... the money should follow.
- Most people get PASSION (in their job) mixed up with their DREAM job. A dream job is something that's more or least unrealistic. (For example: cuz I'm not a 4.00 GPA student, the chances of me completing CASB course for Chartered Accountant are slim, not impossible, so I'd call that my DREAM career... I only have two DREAM careers: Accountant, and the other one would be in the Ask Leo section)
- NEVER BLAME ANYBODY for your life's path. You'll consumer too much energy and hate to improve your own life. Yes, people in this world might steer you into the wrong path or direction (either intentional, or accidential), but ultimately, YOU are responsible to get YOUR OWN LIFE in check; not your parents, not your siblings, not your teachers, not your employers, not your government.

Tom Co.

SilverGS
04-29-2007, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

The degree you go for does not determine anything in terms of a post-school career path. Granted, there are technical fields out there that teach you things that you absolutely need to know to effectively do the job. Accounting, finance, comp sci, engineering, being among those fields.

But for arts, communications, even science if you don't plan on going to grad school is just another way of selling yourself and saying that "Yes, I am capable of learning and working under tight deadlines. I work well under pressure. I'm mature enough to be a self-starter in an environment where there can be hundreds of distractions."

In my company, we have people from all sorts of backgrounds. Some of MBAs, some have history degrees, others have commerce degrees. As part of our interviewing process, we don't ask, nor do we really care, what your major is. Or, even what your grades were. The main things we look for are a) you have a degree which means you're capable of doing good things; b) what do you think you got out of your time in university; c) what was life for you like while you were in university?

The biggest deciding factor in our process is what the candidate did with their time. You could have a 4.0 in the hardest faculty out there, but if that meant all you did was study and go to class, it's safe to assume that you don't have a personality, making you hard to work with; or, you simply do the work for the class/company and you go home, this we interpret as you operate under the radar and never take any risks.

As stated in my post I agree that having any degree already shows you as being someone that may want to hire without knowing anything else about you yet.

All I was stating is that if you are applying for an IT position someone with a Computer Science degree has a distinct advantage over someone with an Arts degree. If it was something to do with arts then it would be the other way around. Unfortunately for Art majors there are more IT jobs available that start paying well than there are Art positions. This position would also go along with knowing what kind of thing you want to do when you graduate. This is what post secondary is good for. To help you find what you might want to do once you are finished school. If you know what you want to do after High School, great, don't do post secondary and go do that. Post secondary is somewhere, for those who get in, to go to help you decide what you may want to do, hence general studies for most people the first year.

By no means does it determine your career path. I know plenty of people who do something completely different from what they studied in school. I also know plenty of high school grads that are doing better than people who went to University. However, getting post secondary will help you in the beginning. Once you have some good experience it helps offset not having a degree.

The company I work for are looking for people with University degrees first and ideally an engineering or comp sci degree. Those are the people that will get an interview first and having that right degree helps in the decision. Not absolutely required but everything helps just like have a MCSD would help some as well

Mangina
04-29-2007, 06:42 PM
She's probably fat.

Isaiah
04-30-2007, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Mangina
She's probably fat.
And I'll bet she's still mad for getting kicked of the bus over the perfume incident.

pinoyhero
05-05-2007, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Ice712
I heard a story on the news today regarding low income housing...it went something like this.

A girl called into a radio station and basically said that she finished her degree and is currently working a job that pays her $10/hour. She is overwhelmed by student debt and she was angry that our governments don't provide cheap housing for people like her.

:banghead:

It's the governments fault that she decided to waste 4-5 years in university getting a degree that has nothing to do with the real world. It's the governments fault that she only gets paid $10/h working at Starbucks.

COME ON why do people in this city/province expect handouts from the government? Here's an idea...work harder and work smarter and have a little pride and provide for yourself and your family (like the majority of Albertans).

Well put, I'm not only fed up with comminist/socialist thinking that people tailor to their own situation and suggest its a "good idea" while thanking god every day they aren't oppressed by a dictatorship. The problem with free housing is that productive people have to work to pay taxes so the government can give it away. Wealth transfer of that sort or any other is just painfully wrong and it suprises me that people dont see it. Why encourage the government to play, "Robin Hood" and punish the productive members of the free market we live in so that leaches continue to have an excuse to not be productive?

403Gemini
05-05-2007, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Isaiah

And I'll bet she's still mad for getting kicked of the bus over the perfume incident.

OOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooohhhh SNAP lol