PDA

View Full Version : This is Bull@#!t and oh so typical.

JRSC00LUDE
04-27-2007, 04:35 PM
Canadian "justice" system for young offenders strikes again.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/saskatchewan/story/2007/04/27/burned-woman.html

dj_rice
04-27-2007, 05:28 PM
Meh....its in Saskatchewan :thumbsup: :zzz:

Mixalot27
04-27-2007, 05:32 PM
Yet one more reason not to pass out drunk in an alley. Back in the day someone would have just pissed on you. These days your wishing somebody would piss on you to put out the fire. :rofl:

Ogpogo
04-27-2007, 05:33 PM
"The girl, whose name cannot be published, has also been ordered to make a personal apology to the woman."

Oh well its all better then.

Mazstyle
04-27-2007, 05:35 PM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

ctruo
04-27-2007, 05:35 PM
By all means I am not condoling the actions of the 13 year old girl who at the time was 12 when she committed the offence. Even though her sentence did not show proportionality with the harm or potential harm that could have been cause the sentence is sufficient with the consideration of her age.

The article is too vague but I am sure that the judge looked at a variety of factors before settling on her decision. Such as pervious criminal history, background information in regards to her school performance and activities in or outside of school. She could have been a very good kid who just screwed up once; fortunately her screw up did not result in manslaughter! The two year probation probably had a long list of conditions on it. I am 99 percent certain that one of her condition was to refrain from having any interactions with her friends that were apart of this incident. She probably has a curfew where she needs to be home between 6 pm to 7 am. I know that this does not sound fair considering the suffering that her victim went through, but with her sensitive age I believe that she has already learned from her mistake and is genuinely remorseful.

I am assuming that you wanted her to serve a period of imprisonment. Which is understandable, but prisons doesn’t work, people who come out of jail are better criminals than they went in! There are a number of reasons for this and I could go on forever, but I don’t want this to turn out into an essay (if it already hasn’t). First off prison subject people into the presence of other criminals which perhaps maybe more “hardcore”. As a result they may praise her actions and may give her a feeling of recognition which in turn may encourage her to act out in relatively the same fashion in the future. Secondly inmates interact with each other and within the socialization they may learn new techniques of criminal behaviours, thus enforcing the notion of “coming out a better criminal”.

People are going to disagree with what I’m saying and I completely understand, but before I stop typing I just want to say that people do stupid things especially in the presences of their friends! Yes, that 12 year old girl could have killed someone that night, but to subject her to the stigmatization that comes along with a prison sentence it will only be detrimental to her and her future ( a punishment that severely outweighs her crime). Before everyone jumps to conclusion about our youth criminal justice system, the media severely sensationalizes stories, and contribute to the false belief that our youth justice system is a joke! Which in reality is not perfect, but one of the better systems within developed nations.

DayGlow
04-27-2007, 05:45 PM
the thing that drives me crazy is that a lot of time when you bust these kids breaching their conditions, the judge often releases them and removes the condition they keep breaching. Don't want to set them up for failure and all that. :rolleyes:

Mixalot27
04-27-2007, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by ctruo
The article is too vague but I am sure that the judge looked at a variety of factors before settling on her decision. Such as pervious criminal history, background information in regards to her school performance and activities in or outside of school. She could have been a very good kid who just screwed up once; fortunately her screw up did not result in manslaughter! The two year probation probably had a long list of conditions on it. I am 99 percent certain that one of her condition was to refrain from having any interactions with her friends that were apart of this incident. She probably has a curfew where she needs to be home between 6 pm to 7 am. I know that this does not sound fair considering the suffering that her victim went through, but with her sensitive age I believe that she has already learned from her mistake and is genuinely remorseful.

Its nice to see you standing up for your girlfriend. After all how else would you know she is genuinely remorseful. But then again she probably didn't even do it. It most likely was just a case of spontaneous human combustion.

:rofl:

ctruo
04-27-2007, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Mixalot27

Its nice to see you standing up for your girlfriend. After all how else would you know she is genuinely remorseful. But then again she probably didn't even do it. It most likely was just a case of spontaneous human combustion.

:rofl:

lol, i knew i was gonna get bashed one way or another, but thats alright. I gotta admit your remark about the spontaneous human combustion made me laugh.