PDA

View Full Version : Sushi Ichiban

jdmXSI
04-30-2007, 01:10 AM
I absolutly love this place! I would recomend it to anyone. It has a great atmosphere, pleasent servers and resonable priced food(dinner for 2 was only $60+tip).

Has anyone else been here? This is the one one 37st & Bow tr SW by Westbrook mall.

Forcefed
04-30-2007, 01:33 AM
Dude, save your money!! Next time drive down to 37th and richmond. Theres a place in there by subway Called "momoyama" Has a big yellow sign. WAY better food, and WAY cheaper. I eat there with my girl we usually get:

x2 Califonia Rolls (6 per) (3.25 each)
x2 Tempura Rolls (6 per) (6.25 each)
x8 Tuna Sushi (1.00 each)
x8 Sake Sushi (1.00 each)
x1 Gyoza (8 per) (4.25 each)
x2 Pop (1.25)

Under 50...

Plus an actual Japanese guy works there and owns it with his wife....unlike most at Ichiban...:dunno:

Forcefed
04-30-2007, 01:38 AM
Also im not going to lie...Because Momoyama is closed from 3-5 I have GONE to that exact Sushi Ichiban. But its never as good....but sometimes it DOES hit the spot

Artega
05-01-2007, 08:39 AM
This sushi ichiban is really good
I would recommend it for anyone in the area too.
good portion and service ain't bad either.

2 thumbs up:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

modded46
05-01-2007, 09:27 AM
Anyone know what's going to happen with Zen 8?? Ichiban is good but nothing compares to the quality of Zen 8. :)

gatorade
05-01-2007, 05:35 PM
sushi ichiban and sushi bbq inn are the worst sushi places in town

spiceboy
05-02-2007, 10:20 AM
Momoyama is "sushi on a budget". Food is good but not Out-of-this-world. Price though, is one of the cheapest in the city. Their grilled fish cheeks are EXCELLENT and cheap!
BTW, the owner/chef is Korean. He did go to Japan for trainings though.
For great sushi, try Misato (in the strip mall on 17thAve/Sirocco Dr. where the Sunterra Market is). Their prices are reasonable (avg and way cheaper than the newer players like Blowfish, Globefish, Zen8, etc...) and food is excellent.

garyb
05-02-2007, 11:21 AM
MOMO YAMA is wicked sushi, try there lunch box special before 2 oclock. 3 cali rolls, 2 salmon/tuna rolls, 4 assorted sushi, coleslaw type salad, grilled chicken or beef, miso soup, and a bowl of rice. the kicker? 8.97 taxes in....

modded46
05-02-2007, 11:30 AM
where is MOMO yama?

shadowz
05-02-2007, 11:51 AM
Sushi Ichiban is horrible, service isnt that great either

Crymson
05-02-2007, 01:54 PM
I like the sushi ichiban at westbrooke, probably go there once every couple of weeks. We always get the yam tempura, ika karage, some spicy tuna rolls, and usually 3 tuna, 3 salmon, and 2 shripm. I think we generally hover around the 60$ mark. But we ALWAYS leave stuffed, if we ordered a proper amount it would probably be cheaper.

There is a really good place up 17th, just west of sarcee, Misano or something like that? Much pricier though.

Forcefed
05-02-2007, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by modded46
where is MOMO yama?

drive down to 37th and richmond, its right by the royal bank, and theres a subway there. look for the big yellow sign!

gatorade
05-02-2007, 11:57 PM
misato is pretty good but I don't like the menu, momoyama lunch box is awesome, i get that almost once a week.

NATAS.KAUPAS
05-08-2007, 10:03 AM
Sushi ichiban is pure ass.

jdmXSI
05-08-2007, 11:05 AM
WHen ever i go i have 3 smoked salmon and 3 makeral (sasimi), beef tataki, edemame beans, salmon teriyaki meal(meso soup, salad, rice) a couple 1/2 liters of saki for my self and with a guest its about $60-70 for 2 people! I think thats a good deal!

Si_FlyGuy
05-08-2007, 12:59 PM
Why do sushi threads always end up like this. :banghead:

Can't the rest of you respect the guy's opinion and pimp your favourite joints in your own thread?

bigboom
05-08-2007, 04:11 PM
bobby...im with you, while sushi ichiban isnt the best sushi in the city i enjoy it, great value for your money too.

BananaFob
05-09-2007, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Si_FlyGuy
Why do sushi threads always end up like this. :banghead:

Can't the rest of you respect the guy's opinion and pimp your favourite joints in your own thread?

You forgot the obligatory "It's wayyyy better in Vancouver line" :rolleyes:

dragonone
05-14-2007, 09:55 AM
i guess we just don't want ppl reading this dude's opinion and thinking that it's an 'okay' place to go to
it's not even okay at best, it's awful:barf:

my recent favorite is zipang, maybe try that and if you think that's not ur taste, go to icihiban lol

and the top rated sushi places in vancouver ARE way better, it's not even how fresh the food is, it's the level of culture and how authentic the food is; try guu

jdmXSI
05-14-2007, 10:17 AM
I guess everyone has thier own opinion. It's kinda like how some people love McDonalds and some absolutly hate it. If you have never eatin there i would suggest that you go, because you can't base your opinion on someone else's. Make your own descion. Its fairly inexpensive, not like your going to loose $1000 if you go. Maybe I get good service because i go there alot and tip pretty well:dunno: I guess what im saying is that it never hurts to try something once.

Si_FlyGuy
05-14-2007, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by BananaFob

You forgot the obligatory "It's wayyyy better in Vancouver line" :rolleyes:

Pppfffttt. It's waayyyy better in Japan. :rofl:

NATAS.KAUPAS
05-14-2007, 01:34 PM
It's not any more inexpensive than most places yet the size of fish used is minuscule. Big ball of rice and puny wad of fish.

Si_FlyGuy
05-14-2007, 02:01 PM
^ Have you ever tried catching fish with nun-chuks? That's why it's so expensive.

NATAS.KAUPAS
05-14-2007, 02:04 PM
Nah, I usually choke them out with my Kung Fu sash.

Si_FlyGuy
05-14-2007, 05:09 PM
must...level...up...

omagedon
05-28-2007, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by jdmXSI
I absolutly love this place! I would recomend it to anyone. It has a great atmosphere, pleasent servers and resonable priced food(dinner for 2 was only $60+tip).

Has anyone else been here? This is the one one 37st & Bow tr SW by Westbrook mall.

EWW! I would goto any other Sushi Iciban than this one....even the 39th AVE One...

I live like 4 blocks away from that, and I have gotten food poisoning from that, their fish isn't fresh at all....and since I am so close I have an urge for Sushi I go there and most of the time their fish is not fresh at all....twice I gotten food poisoning and no more I said...

If you have to go, its best to go later in the night so they run out of the fish from the day before.

dragonone
07-30-2007, 08:53 AM
omg, now i know why these places are still open:barf:

jdmXSI
08-27-2007, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by jdmXSI

I went back yesterday and all i have to say is that i want to retract all my statements about this place. The service was fairly poor, i had ordered the BBQ chicken teriyaki and it up being "breaded, grilled (not BBQ) with teriyaki sauce on the side" and the chicken was worse than what you'd buy at super store. real chewy and fatty:thumbsdow

I dont think i will be goin back

eina15
08-27-2007, 01:08 PM
I used to like this place too (I know, I know.....)

Last time we went the service was so freaking terrible (the "server" admitted to forgetting about us several times) and I've never had such terrible sushi. I ordered kappa maki and it was so dry, it tasted like it had been sitting out for days.

If they can't even get cucumbers right, I shudder to think of the fish quality......:barf:

Xtrema
08-27-2007, 03:20 PM
It's almost like if you caught a suishi place on the restock day, everything is good. Otherwise, it's bad.

- Ichiban on Macleod is consistent. Average from very good to good.

- Ichiban on Westbrook can be good to absolute shit.

- Suishi Tokyo downtown is average to shitty.

All own and run by the same guy. And I think only the Macloed store has enough customers to keep stock fresh.

When it comes to all restaurants, I've been to every recommended places and many times end up to be bad or didn't live up to the recommendation.

Raven_R1
08-27-2007, 03:50 PM
All Sushi Restaurant in calgary r taste the same..Nothing new and special...PLEASE CHANGE THE MENU...or something more creative Example like Guu in Vancouver,Geisha house in LA or Tao in Vegas..

GQBalla
08-27-2007, 03:57 PM
sushi is not suppose to be something really special -

traditional sushi is the way to go!

max_boost
08-27-2007, 03:58 PM
Just go to Wa's or Shikiji and you'll be fine. IT'S GOOD EVERYTIME!:drool: :thumbsup: