PDA

View Full Version : Fighting Two Tickets

Primavara
04-30-2007, 03:48 AM
Got two tickets tonight. One was for pulling a u-turn the other for not having lights on.

They let me off the hook for not having the proper paperwork present. Because it's not my car but my dads.

Is it worth fighting the u-turn ticket? There was no sign that said no u-turns and it was not dangoures in anyway it was 2 in the morning and dead as hell.

The lights were not turned on Mcleod trail. I pulled out of a parking lot without them on and got busted.

I'm under GDL so this will be 4 demerits how much will it make my insurance go up?

Primavara
04-30-2007, 04:58 AM
Also is there anyway I can get the demerits taken off? 4 is a pretty big hit.

Mitsu3000gt
04-30-2007, 08:09 AM
As far as I know they don't take off demerits anymore. You can go down and talk to the crown and you will likely get a lesser fine however.

Call your insurance company to see how much your insurance will go up, it's different for most people.

97'Scort
04-30-2007, 09:19 AM
You can take a defensive driving course. That'll still give you 3 off, I believe. I don't think they're going to be very lenient. If you DO go and talk to the crown, wear a tie, would you? It helps more than you'd think to be professional about it.

xDiMSuMx
04-30-2007, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
As far as I know they don't take off demerits anymore. You can go down and talk to the crown and you will likely get a lesser fine however.

Call your insurance company to see how much your insurance will go up, it's different for most people.

they still take off demerits, they just won't take all of them off

RX_EVOLV
04-30-2007, 10:08 AM
don't think you can really fight the U-turn ticket. you can't make a Uturn in any controlled intersection. period. doesnt matter if its 2am. Thats like saying you didn't stop at the stop sign because it was 4am in the morning

Mitsu3000gt
04-30-2007, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by xDiMSuMx

they still take off demerits, they just won't take all of them off

Yup thats what I meant, sorry my post was not clear at all.

Primavara
04-30-2007, 09:59 PM
So what would be the best thing to say to the crown in order to get points taken off?

ricefarmer
04-30-2007, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Primavara
So what would be the best thing to say to the crown in order to get points taken off?

hopefully you haven't had many tickets in the past and go in looking nice, a tie might not be necessary, just don't go dressed like a punk gangster.

Just tell them the truth, say you got these tickets, it was really late, no one was around blah blah blah, then ask if there is anyway you are able to get a reduced sentance.

like I said it really helps if you don't have a bad record, you sound like a new driver and they will have sympathy for that if you say you want to have the demerits reduced to keep your record clean, offer to pay the tickets full, they will give you an offer.

some of you guys may not agree, and I haven't had a ticket for a couple years now but that has always worked for me and I used to fight a few tickets per summer.

Primavara
04-30-2007, 10:29 PM
I have not had a single ticket. These are my first two.

I'll go in with a dress shirt and tie. I'm just not sure what to say.

Does anyone know how much $$$ my insurance will go up if I cant loose the demerits.

New2Talon
05-04-2007, 12:05 AM
When I got my last ticket I talked to my insurance company, and they said they base rates on what "type" of ticket it is. They told me I can have up to 3 "minor" offences within a 3 year period before my rates go up.

Ex.
Speeding (within reason) - minor
following too closely - minor
speeding (unreasonable) - major
careless driving - major
hit and run - major
assult/murder - federal (jail time...)

As for your Uturn ticket there doesn't need to be a sign, just intersections with signage is "more" illegal, and the time of day/night doesn't make a difference. Can you speed down deerfoot just because its 2 am?

Isaiah
05-04-2007, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Primavara
I have not had a single ticket. These are my first two.

I'll go in with a dress shirt and tie. I'm just not sure what to say.

Does anyone know how much $$$ my insurance will go up if I cant loose the demerits.
It depends on a number of variables. The best thing to do is go in, talk to the crown, look presentable (as mentioned) and just be honest and tell them that it was an oversight.

Defensive driving course can't hurt for the insurance either.

mard
05-04-2007, 12:16 AM
i got a u-turn ticket when i had my gdl
tried to fight it but big waste of time