PDA

View Full Version : What gear do you drive in? (AUTOS)

Shane1
04-30-2007, 12:03 PM
I did a search and couldn't find anything, although I know a simple topic like this MUST have been discussed... if it's a repost.... well to bad.

Since getting my exhaust done I have been playing with driving in different gears and wanted to get the lowdown on this...

I used to drive in D all the time (which I think is overdrive no?) and lately I've been driving in 3rd, and then D as I hit 80+k's...

what are the benefits to using the other gears in an auto and is there better performance using manual (auto) shifting?

:confused:

infected
04-30-2007, 12:24 PM
Some people like to use other gears when going uphill, etc.
I'm lazy so I just leave it in Drive 24/7.

topmade
04-30-2007, 12:30 PM
You shouldn't be shifting all the time because your car is not made like a standard and you can ruin the tranny doing that. You would only use the different gears if you had a heavy load or towing something up a hill. D should be more then good enough for the city. The older vehicles had a D then a D in a circle meaning overdrive. The new vehicles only have D and are smarter and will adjust power accordingly so you don't have to which should be what your cavi has

Shane1
04-30-2007, 01:31 PM
well that's simple enough...

Thanks for the insight.

Sky
04-30-2007, 03:33 PM
I drove my 94 Accord AUTO for years doing occasional aggressive upshifts/downshifts and I had ZERO problems with the tranny. Use it when you need it. Don't go shifting the AUTO tranny all the time though.:thumbsup:

I shift the AUTO because I want to be in the right gear for different situations.

Shane1
05-01-2007, 08:55 AM
Yea, i hear ya. I used it alot in the winter when I had no traction. If I drop it to 2nd then the traction control turns off and the tires will spin and I found it easier to get moving as opposed to the annoying TC when it cuts in and out. Plus made it sound like the car was rough or ???

Canmorite
05-01-2007, 10:32 AM
If I have to drive an Auto I'll just leave it in '3' in the city and 'D' on the highway. Saves it always bumping into drive then having to downshift 2 gears if you put on the gas.

rage2
05-01-2007, 10:35 AM
There's no point in driving in 3, unless you need to hold 3rd gear.

I'm going to guess your auto is a 4 speed, and had D 3 2 1. D just means 4th gear is the maximum gear it'll select, 3 would be 3rd gear max, etc. By keeping in 3rd while cruising and not letting it shift into 4th, you're just wasting gas and wearing down your engine more.

teggypimp95
05-01-2007, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by rage2

I'm going to guess your auto is a 4 speed, and had D 3 2 1. D just means 4th gear is the maximum gear it'll select, 3 would be 3rd gear max, etc. By keeping in 3rd while cruising and not letting it shift into 4th, you're just wasting gas and wearing down your engine more.

Yeah i agree. Your going to get shitty gas milage if you leave it in 3. Leave it in D so it can go to the last gear, giving you better gas milage. When you put your foot down it will select the correct gear. Changing all the time is hard on the tranny, I know a few people who have run into peoples becuase they thought it was better to do this. 1,2,3 are better to use when towing, maybe stuck in the snow etc. Normal every day driving use D. And if you just like shifing the gears around get your self a standard so you can do it for real.

Shane1
05-01-2007, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by teggypimp95

Yeah i agree. Your going to get shitty gas milage if you leave it in 3. Leave it in D so it can go to the last gear, giving you better gas milage. When you put your foot down it will select the correct gear. Changing all the time is hard on the tranny, I know a few people who have run into peoples becuase they thought it was better to do this. 1,2,3 are better to use when towing, maybe stuck in the snow etc. Normal every day driving use D. And if you just like shifing the gears around get your self a standard so you can do it for real.

amen.

Thanks, now this can be :closed:

zoik
05-01-2007, 02:48 PM
the only other time you should be shifting around with an auto is going down hills. instead of flying down the hill and slamming on the brakes part way down and letting go, and doing this all the way down, shift it down and it controls your speed.

barbarian
05-02-2007, 09:57 PM
On some autos, especially 4 speed, the 2nd gear is a hard second gear--it will not downshift to 1 when you need it. If you select second gear, and then stop, when you try to take off it will seem rather slow.

http://img490.imageshack.us/img490/7654/secondgearfixedzy7.gif (http://imageshack.us)

Canmorite
05-02-2007, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by rage2

What if you're not going above, say, 60-70? I see no need for 4th gear below those speeds.

teggypimp95
05-02-2007, 10:09 PM
Dude put in in D end of story, Who cares how fast your going. The car will decide what is best. Thats why its called an AUTO.

schocker
05-02-2007, 10:31 PM
I put it in D. The point of automatic is to not shift:dunno: