PDA

View Full Version : the problems never seem to stop.....

88CRX
06-09-2003, 01:58 PM
ok heres the deal..... after runing at racecity last week and ending up with a dismall 17.2 some people suggested the timing may be off so i made an apointment to take it in to speedtech (pat) so i take it in today (i live in the se) so its a 20-25 min drive and i park go inside talk to him come back out and bam.... a nice green puddle under my car.... coolant.... just what i wanted to see.... so ya the overflow tank overflowed and now im pissed and the stupid fuckn' car... the problems with it never end... this is now the second engine in less then a year and everything that has gone wrong has... pisses me right off, so i think i may be selling it asap and buying something new and reliable....

:banghead:

GTS Jeff
06-09-2003, 02:01 PM
thats exactly how i feel. im on my 2nd engine....its supposed to be fast, but its slow as all hell...everything that could possibly go wrong HAS gone wrong...and im STILL fixing random shit with it. gah!

calarina
06-09-2003, 02:32 PM
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't that what an overflow tank is for? In case if you filled up your coolant too much, so you don't bust hoses or anything? And also if it gets so hot that it boils, it can just boil over onto the ground, instead of wrecking some other aspect of the cooling system? At least, that's what I thought it was for.

88CRX
06-09-2003, 02:33 PM
yes when the coolant gets hot it expands and yes it is suppose to go into the overflow tank but now its not suppose to boil over....

legendboy
06-09-2003, 02:38 PM
Check to see if your cooling fan is comming on, I doubt its your head gasket if its just a stock engine. Its either that or your thermostat is stuck. In both cases its a cheap easy fix. No need to worry. I'm betting its your coolant temp sensor.

calarina
06-09-2003, 02:38 PM
Oh, alright. I thought the overflow tank was supposed to be a safety measure for that, to make sure nothing broke in the cooling system. I've replaced 2 hoses already in my cooling system, because they broke. Replaced one, a couple days later, another broke because of the increased pressure; so I know what it's like.

Hopefully you can figure out how to make your car work right, since you say it's causing you so much grief! :D

88CRX
06-09-2003, 02:44 PM
your thermostat is stuck

nope... upper rad hose gets hot.....

Check to see if your cooling fan is comming on

never even thought of that.... how can i check it?

calarina
06-09-2003, 02:48 PM
If you're sitting at idle, and the fan comes on, then it works. Haha, I don't know, that's how I'd check! :D

benyl
06-09-2003, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX

nope... upper rad hose gets hot.....

never even thought of that.... how can i check it?

Check the fuse for your fan. If it isn't that, there should be a temperature sensor on the rad somewhere that screws in. Maybe goto Canadian Tire or the Library and check out a chiltons manual (or something like it) and see what parts are around the cooling system.

NickGT
06-09-2003, 06:07 PM
older cars require deep pockets. I hear that.