PDA

View Full Version : Lawyer's Price For Missing Pants: $65 Million

l8braker
04-30-2007, 09:54 PM
4 Real

Lawyer's Price For Missing Pants: $65 Million

By Marc Fisher
Thursday, April 26, 2007; B01

When the neighborhood dry cleaner misplaced Roy Pearson's pants, he took action. He complained. He demanded compensation. And then he sued. Man, did he sue.

Two years, thousands of pages of legal documents and many hundreds of hours of investigative work later, Pearson is seeking to make Custom Cleaners pay -- would you believe more than the payroll of the entire Washington Nationals roster?

He says he deserves millions for the damages he suffered by not getting his pants back, for his litigation costs, for "mental suffering, inconvenience and discomfort," for the value of the time he has spent on the lawsuit, for leasing a car every weekend for 10 years and for a replacement suit, according to court papers.

Pearson is demanding $65,462,500. The original alteration work on the pants cost $10.50.

By the way, Pearson is a lawyer. Okay, you probably figured that. But get this: He's a judge, too -- an administrative law judge for the District of Columbia.

I'm telling you, they need to start selling tickets down at the courthouse.

Oh, where to start: How about the car? Why should Ki, Jin and Soo Chung -- the family that owns Custom Cleaners on Bladensburg Road NE in the District's Fort Lincoln section -- pay Pearson $15,000 so he can rent a car every weekend for 10 years?

The plaintiff, who says he has devoted more than 1,000 hours to represent himself in this battle, says that as a result of poor service at Custom, he must find another cleaner. And because Pearson does not own a car, he says he will have to rent one to get his clothes taken care of.

Back to the beginning. In 2002, Custom lost a pair of pants that Pearson had put in for cleaning. One week after the error was discovered, Custom gave Pearson a check for $150 for new pants. A few days later, the Chungs, Korean immigrants who live in Virginia and own three D.C. cleaners, told Pearson that he was no longer welcome at their store. That dispute was eventually put aside, and Pearson continued to use the company.

Move ahead to 2005, when Pearson got a new job as a judge. He needed to wear a suit to work every day. He dug out his five Hickey Freeman suits and found them to be "uncomfortably tight." He asked Custom to let the waists out two or three inches. Worried that he might be up against his Visa card limit, he took the suits in for alterations one or two at a time.

According to a statement filed by both parties in the lawsuit, Pearson dropped off one pair of pants May 3 so he could wear them to his new job May 6. But on May 5, the pants weren't ready. Soo Chung promised them for early the next morning, but when Pearson arrived, the pants weren't there.

At this point, I should let you in on the subject of hundreds of pages of legal wrangling. Custom Cleaners at that time had two big signs on its walls. One said "Satisfaction Guaranteed," and the other said, "Same Day Service."

Pearson relied on these signs. Deeply.

He was not satisfied. And he did not get his pants back on the same day or, for that matter, on any day.

This, he says, amounts to fraud, negligence and a scam.

A week after that routine mishap -- pants go astray all the time at cleaners -- Soo Chung came up with gray trousers that she said were Pearson's. But when the judge said that he had dropped off pants with red and blue pinstripes, there was no joy in Fort Lincoln.

Pearson's first letter to the Chungs sought $1,150 so he could buy a new suit. Two lawyers and many legal bills later, the Chungs offered Pearson $3,000, then $4,600 and, finally, says their attorney, Chris Manning, $12,000 to settle the case.

But Pearson pushes on. How does he get to $65 million? The District's consumer protection law provides for damages of $1,500 per violation per day. Pearson started multiplying: 12 violations over 1,200 days, times three defendants. A pant leg here, a pant leg there, and soon, you're talking $65 million.

The case, set for trial in June, is on its second judge. The Chungs have removed the signs upon which Pearson's case rests.

"This case shocks me on a daily basis," Manning says. "Pearson has a lot of time on his hands, and the Chungs have been abused in a ghastly way. It's going to cost them tens of thousands to defend this case."

A judge in the case has admonished Pearson about his take-no-prisoners tactics. When Pearson sought to broaden the case to try to prove violations of consumer protection laws on behalf of all District residents, D.C. Superior Court Judge Neal Kravitz said that "the court has significant concerns that the plaintiff is acting in bad faith" because of "the breathtaking magnitude of the expansion he seeks."

Pearson has put the Chungs and their attorneys to work answering long lists of questions, such as this: "Please identify by name, full address and telephone number, all cleaners known to you on May 1, 2005 in the District of Columbia, the United States and the world that advertise 'SATISFACTION GUARANTEED.' "

In the world.

The answer: "None."

In a closet of a lawyer's office in downtown Washington, there is a pair of gray wool pants, waiting to be picked up by Roy Pearson.

"We believe the pants are his," Manning says. "The tag matches his receipt."

TeamBestBud
04-30-2007, 10:06 PM
:rofl: I got a kick out of it but could you imagine being caught up in something like this? The world today:eek:

jdmXSI
04-30-2007, 10:16 PM
I think i would rather try and hire an asassin if i were the Chungs and move back to thier home land, It would sure beat paying $65mill! :drama: :rofl: Anyways it's a funny ass story!

Intent_Fire
04-30-2007, 10:18 PM
seriously.. what are people doing with their lives, like would someone tell him to give his head a shake.. its getting ridiculous.. people think they deserve millions just because another person made a simple mistake... No one got hurt died, get over it.

01RedDX
04-30-2007, 10:23 PM

SilverGS
04-30-2007, 11:01 PM
The real sad part is how this was allowed to get to this point by the courts. The first judge should have said accpet a hundred bucks for some new pants and get out of my courtroom

Canmorite
05-01-2007, 12:16 PM
Court/legal systems in the US = Lotteries.

ken-gsr
05-01-2007, 01:50 PM
^^^ no kidding! I cant believe this.

joyridder
05-01-2007, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Canmorite
Court/legal systems in the US = Lotteries.
exactly! funny read none the less...

arian_ma
05-02-2007, 09:28 AM
65 MILLION?!
Man, 15g's to rent a car? I'd be like "Mother fucker I'll buy you a fucking bus pass," IT's good for a month!

BigMass
05-02-2007, 09:51 AM
Judge Judy would have had this guys head on a platter for being such a retard.

Ichigo
05-02-2007, 10:14 AM
COUNTER SUE!!!!

msommers
05-02-2007, 11:15 AM
Is this seriously a joke? Either the lawyer, now judge has a heroine addiction or this story is for shits and giggles. Why? Roy doesn't (A) have a vehicle of any sort and (B) was worried about alteration costs at $10.51 a pop and hitting his credit card limit.

At any rate, if it is a real case it doesn't come to much surprise. America will go to great lengths to be compensated for psychological trauma and discomfort. America's answer for a cash grab: make yourself out to be a complete idiot and get rewarded because you just "didn't know". Anyone else notice the disclaimer inserted at the end of Red Bull commercials now...I wonder why that has to be there now?!

l8braker
05-02-2007, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by msommers
Is this seriously a joke?

It's real dude.

Where is the Korean Al Sharpton?

Ajay
05-03-2007, 02:18 AM
This guy is a judge?! I weep for America.

This will get thrown out of court so quickly when it goes to trial in June and if it doesn't there is seriously something VERY wrong with people.

If he's a judge why is he such a cheap bastard? Go buy some new suits for your new job you stupid wanker.

thrasher22
05-03-2007, 10:23 AM
I wish I was a judge so I could give him a big old NO, GTFO.

asifka
05-03-2007, 10:25 AM
chungs should go to judge judy:thumbsup:

msommers
05-03-2007, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Ajay
This will get thrown out of court so quickly when it goes to trial in June and if it doesn't there is seriously something VERY wrong with people.

I'm sure this is what the majority of the population thought when they heard about the McDonald's "Hey I'm fat now" case, "hot coffee is actually hot" case etc.

Sadly, if the prosecutor beats the defense with some sort of "evidence" of who was in the wrong, well the law is the law and I don't believe the judge has much of a choice, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

tictactoe2004
05-03-2007, 10:45 AM
Stuff like this is what makes me think democracy is failing in the states...

legereandrew4
05-03-2007, 10:54 AM
^^^ I got to agree, I beleive because he is a laywer, turned judge, he knows what he is doing very well, tho abusing his powers, is still doing it in a legal manner. They posted signs saying one thing and another happened... Right there will F*** them over alot of money... but that is bull, but with the laws I think he is going to get alot of money out of it sadly.

arian_ma
05-03-2007, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by legereandrew4
^^^ I got to agree, I beleive because he is a laywer, turned judge, he knows what he is doing very well, tho abusing his powers, is still doing it in a legal manner. They posted signs saying one thing and another happened... Right there will F*** them over alot of money... but that is bull, but with the laws I think he is going to get alot of money out of it sadly.

And then get shot! Haha if someone did that to me and I had nothing else to lose, living on the street, I'd kill the guy who did it to me. Jail is better than the streets.

Isaiah
05-03-2007, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by BigMass
Judge Judy would have had this guys head on a platter for being such a retard.
Or Mathus, or Maria Lopez. Any TV judge would tell this guy to STFU, cry a river, build a bridge, and get over it.

topmade
06-28-2007, 10:53 AM
Update: I heard this on the news the other day and thought it was funny. They also mentioned(not sure if it's true or not) that they are trying to take away his license or whatever you call it so he can't be a judge anymore.

Judge Loses Bid to Sue the Pants Off of Dry Cleaner
Judge Roy L. Pearson has lost his lawsuit seeking $54 million in damages from a dry cleaner that Pearson claims lost a pair of his pants [SN reported]. Pearson had tried to claim that the cleaner's promise of 'Satisfaction Guaranteed' was not fulfilled.

Pearson, who is an administrative law judge, initially sought $67 million after claiming that Custom Cleaners had lost a pair of his pants and tried to replace it with a charcoal gray pants that weren't his.

Pearson will have to pay more than $1,000 in court costs incurred by cleaner owners Jin Nam and Ki Y. Chung. A motion requiring Pearson to cover the owners' attorney costs will be considered later.

Ajay
06-28-2007, 11:45 AM
They should take away his ability to be a judge and he should have to pay for the legal fees of the people he took too court.

This is an example of a douche bag trying to take advantage of the system and thinking he can get away with because he's an instrument of the law. Dude seriously has too much time on his hands.

Xtrema
06-28-2007, 11:48 AM
Being Koreans probably don't want to be trouble makers, but I would sue him back for emotional distress.

DNSDJS
06-28-2007, 11:59 AM
oh man i feel bad for the chung family who have to go thru this.
stupid americans..
the chungs prob. came to america to have a better life than back home and now they stuck with this shit
i feel for them..
they losing $$$
and the damn lawyer is still makin $$$

i hate assholes like this lawyer.

D'z Nutz
10-23-2008, 08:45 AM
This fucken clown is still at it. Unbelievable!

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/WeirdNews/2008/10/22/7169631-ap.html

Missing pants case back in court
By Brian Westley, THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

WASHINGTON - A former administrative law judge who unsuccessfully sued a dry cleaner for US$54 million over a pair of lost pants tried to convince an appeals panel Wednesday that he deserves the money because he is a fraud victim.

"This is not a case about a pair of suit pants," Roy L. Pearson argued before the District of Columbia Court of Appeals. Rather, it is about whether the owners of a neighbourhood business misled consumers with a sign that claimed "Satisfaction Guaranteed," he said.

"There is an unconditional guarantee," he argued, unless the merchant indicates otherwise.

Pearson said the sign was deceptive and that the burden was on owners Jin Nam Chung and Soo Chung to explain whether the promise came with restrictions.

Pearson sued Custom Cleaners in northeast Washington in 2005 after claiming the Chungs lost a pair of trousers from a $1,100 blue and burgundy suit, then tried to give him a pair of charcoal grey pants that he said were not his. A D.C. Superior Court judge ruled against Pearson more than a year ago, awarding him nothing.

Christopher Manning, a lawyer for the Chungs, said the business owners believe they did not lose the pants.

"My clients have his pants and they're ready to be picked up by Mr. Pearson," he said.

The three-judge appeals panel peppered Pearson with questions about whether he knew of other rulings in which a promise of "Satisfaction Guaranteed" meant that unsatisfied customers should be entitled to whatever damages they believe were appropriate.

"You've got to help us figure out what it means," Judge Phyllis Thompson said. "You haven't pointed me to a case which reaches a conclusion you would have us reach."

Pearson was unable to provide any examples, but maintained that his lawsuit had merit under the city's Consumer Protection Act.

Pearson had originally sued for $67 million. He reached the amount by adding up violations under the act and almost $2 million in common law claims. But he lowered the demands after deciding to no longer seek damages related to the pants, focusing instead on the sign.

Manning said the Chungs made a good-faith effort to accommodate Pearson by initially trying to settle with him. And he warned that more such frivolous claims would likely follow should the judges rule for Pearson.

The case has taken its toll on both sides. The Chungs have sold the dry cleaning shop, citing a loss of revenue and the emotional strain of defending the lawsuit. Pearson lost his job when a D.C. commission voted not to reappoint him.

Pearson quickly left the court after the hearing and would not stop to speak with reporters.

The appeals court is expected to rule in several months. If Pearson loses again, he could seek to have the case heard by the full court or appeal to the Supreme Court.

anarchy
10-23-2008, 08:58 AM
What a fucking douchebag. I remember hearing about this case when it first occurred. I'm glad that he didn't win his trial, and I'm glad that he lost is fuckin job.

I don't find it a funny situation at all. I can only imagine the real distress that the defendents have to go through to deal with this shit. Anyone who has had to deal with a lawsuit knows how stressful it can be, let alone a $65 million lawsuit!

Fuck him and all the other corrupt assholes like him.

Jlude
10-23-2008, 09:17 AM
This has been going on for so damn long.

ZorroAMG
10-23-2008, 09:20 AM
Karma FTW.

Quiet10
10-23-2008, 09:58 AM
:banghead: :drama:

SilverGS
10-23-2008, 11:00 AM
This is what is wrong with the American justice system. How many hours and hours of peoples time has this wasted. This should of been thrown out the first time this guy wanted to sue for 65mill.

I don't see how the ex-dry cleaners couldn't counter sue for frivolous lawsuit.