PDA

View Full Version : Full Serve Service Stations SUCK!

Ben
06-09-2003, 04:30 PM
Okay so I was running late for work today and I pulled into a husky station that was FULL SERVE only. I never use full serve and was unaware that this station had it as I had never been there before.

I no sooner open my door to get out and some clown asks me how much, Convo went as follows:

Me: Thats okay bud I got it.

Tool: No I have it, dont worry brother.

Me: No, I would rather pump my own fuel thanks:

Tool: Unfortunatly I cannot let you do that, its our policy to always help the customer and pump their gas.

Me: Fuck the policy, I'm in a hurry, no need to help me out, I would rather pump my own gas anyways.

Tool: I'm sorry about this but I am required to pump your gas.

Me: Fine, 20 bucks premium please.

I get back in my car and start screwing around with my camera to get a picture of this bozo. He comes back:

Tool: here is your reciept sir, did you want me to check your oil and washer fluid. No thanks, its all good, I gotta run.

I take off.

Not 5 minutes later the car starts sputtering and idling like ass.

I pull up to a stop light and it dies on me.

Me: okay What the FUCK!!!

I try starting my car, it starts for about 5 seconds of broken idle and then dies again.

I start it up again and it maintained an idle, although very coarse. Almost as if I had water in my distributer or something, but its clean and dry.

Light is green, I go.

I look at my gas reciept, the tool put REGULAR in my car. Okay so I'm not impressed.

I was late as it was so I couldn't go back to the service station and raise hell post haste. I limped into work, and now here I am pissed cause my car basically wont start. Not only did I get regular but I think it was a bad batch. I've never had this happen to this severity before as the aftermarket ECU in my car can generally compensate for a bad batch of premium to about 89-90 octane.

Anyone else have this happen to them, I have always been an Anti Full Serve Advocate as it is. Now I will never go to one.

ryder_23
06-09-2003, 04:40 PM
My friend did it one time in his trans am...the idiot forgot to screw on the cap, we went around a turn off the hwy, pretty damn fast, the gas push the cap off, and we had gas spraying behind us. He was hella pissed...Now he always does it himself.

atomic
06-09-2003, 04:40 PM
yes .

fasgas on highway 2 towards red deer .

stopped to put $10 in .. car stalled at a stop light in red deer . then it sounded like a diesel for the rest of the drive . i filled the tank with mohawks' 92 hoping it will help . i also added an octane boost to help ..

it ran like shyte for a few days

Seanith
06-09-2003, 04:44 PM
yeah i always do it myself..can't trust a chimp ya know

B17a
06-09-2003, 04:45 PM
Ben, I'm with you. I pulled into the Coach Hill Shell back when it was full serve, it was like -25 out that's why I went to it, so I wouldn't have to freeze my ass off :) There were three meatheads inside chatting like a couple of school girls. They see me pull up, look at me, then keep yammering away. I wait a few minutes, beep my horn, they look, no response. Finally I get out and do it myself, only to finally have one of those dumbasses finally come out and ask if I needed help. I sarcastically pointed out that his place of employment was "full serve" but his imbicile brain could not comprehend the complexity of my statement. Alas, the moral of my story is, avoid meathead gas jockeys!

fast95pony
06-09-2003, 04:49 PM
I always pump my own gas. A jockey once left a pump on and wandered away from me. Them he tried to charge me for the $5 on gas than ran down the side of my car and all around the pump
while he chatted to another driver. Thanks chump !!

bol
06-09-2003, 04:50 PM
I got some real bad gas at co-op in brentwood mall the other day in my bike(was almost out, had to fill up)

bike didn't want to start, had a shitty idle until it warmed up

when i got home i syphoned the shit out and put it in the lawnmower

Ben
06-09-2003, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by bol
I got some real bad gas at co-op in brentwood mall the other day in my bike(was almost out, had to fill up)

bike didn't want to start, had a shitty idle until it warmed up

when i got home i syphoned the shit out and put it in the lawnmower

haha, yeah, co-op eats ass.

but where am I going to put 30L of siphoned shit grade gasoline? That was my last 20 bucks, and I have no more till thursday.

I HATE FULLSERVE!!!

GTS Jeff
06-09-2003, 05:16 PM
ben, its simple...just retard your timing a bit until u finish this tank of gas. u can just turn the distributor to do this..

Ben
06-09-2003, 05:44 PM
my distributer requires a 30 dollar tool that I dont have to adjust it, so I'm screwed

GTS Jeff
06-09-2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Ben
my distributer requires a 30 dollar tool that I dont have to adjust it, so I'm screwed wtf? isnt it a simple scrw or bolt that u just loosen? haha the germans have owned u

Ben
06-09-2003, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
wtf? isnt it a simple scrw or bolt that u just loosen? haha the germans have owned u

its like that on all the 8V GTI's but the 16V's are a different set up.

heh, dont worry man, I already though of all that, I am indeed OWNED.

VWhooligan
06-09-2003, 05:54 PM
i totally agree with you benny..

last summer i took my dad's audi TT out for a cruise and was filling it up on the way back i pulled into a full-service gas station. I tell the guy to fill it up premium.

so I stand there and just drool at the car (this was the first day we had the car) i look at the little kid as he reaches for the diesel pump and sticks it in the hole. i started yelling and yank it out. "i said PREMIUM, NOT DIESEL" and the kid's like "oh yah.. sorry"

i just grabbed the pump and did it myself. imagine that.. wrecking the engine the very first day we have it.. i dont think my dad would appreciate that.

NickGT
06-09-2003, 06:00 PM
That sucks Ben, a long time ago i took the diesel truck i use to drive to Co Op and they put regular gas in it. Luckily noticed and didnt start the truck. They paid for everything though to fix the truck and drain the regular fuel. But even still the truck has never been quite the same. At least I didn't start it though. Never again full serve. nuts to that. bunch of fuckin clowns some of them...

Ben
06-09-2003, 06:03 PM
My dad sold a TDI Golf to a lady who went and filled it up 2 days later with regular.

Wrecked the entire motor.

4wheeldrift
06-09-2003, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Ben
My dad sold a TDI Golf to a lady who went and filled it up 2 days later with regular.

Wrecked the entire motor. I used to work at a gas station and we had people doing that all the time, either putting gas in a diesel or vice versa. But its ESPECIALLY bad when a staff member did it. You ever want to see a really choked station manager thats a good way to start.

Ben
06-09-2003, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
I used to work at a gas station and we had people doing that all the time, either putting gas in a diesel or vice versa. But its ESPECIALLY bad when a staff member did it. You ever want to see a really choked station manager thats a good way to start.

hehe, trust me, you dont want to know what a new TDI motor is worth.

NickGT
06-09-2003, 06:12 PM
for the truck i use to drive, they paid to have the truck towed to a shop, to have it drained, have everything checked out, and then have it towed back, and a full tank of diesel (like they shoulda done in the first place.) I'm sure its an frequent and expensive problem... In my case i specifically remember saying very clearly what I wanted. They just got a bunch of kids who dont give a shit, and that's what happens.

4wheeldrift
06-09-2003, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Ben

hehe, trust me, you dont want to know what a new TDI motor is worth. Can't be much more than the Cummins Turbo Diesel one of our less intelligent staffers decided to fill with gasoline. Suffice to say that guy didn't last long.

Weapon_R
06-09-2003, 06:30 PM
Is that diesel engine warrantied by any chance?

Ben
06-09-2003, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Is that diesel engine warrantied by any chance?

Not in cases of customer stupidity.

VWoC subsidised the cost tho out of good gesture.

Doodle
06-09-2003, 06:53 PM
I always pump my own gas,I trust no one with my car. I hate it when it goes to the shop, they had to pull my engine twice in 3 days for the oil pan crack. I know I would be frustrated doing it again, frustration leads to left over screws and bolts, guess thats why I'm not a mechanic.

szw
06-10-2003, 12:48 AM
Aren't diesel and gasoline 'fillers' different, so you wouldn't be able to fill one with the other? One time i grabbed a diesel by mistsake at a out of town station and the nozzle just wouldn't fit in (good thing!)

nismodrifter
06-10-2003, 01:05 AM
nope...we've had an attendant fill our Mercedes (diesel) with regular.....good thing we didn't try to start it....that would have been an UGLY situation. They had to pay drain the gas from the tank etc..

maybe you picked up the high flow nozzle for a semi truck or something and thats why it didn't fit

that was the first and last time we went full service in the mbz...

sillyd
06-10-2003, 01:11 AM
Am i the only one who sometimes likes the service? Sometimes it's cool to just sit there and let someone else do it for me. I always look to see what they put in so how can it be bad? People can only have problems if they don't pay attention.

Ben
06-10-2003, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by sillyd
Am i the only one who sometimes likes the service? Sometimes it's cool to just sit there and let someone else do it for me. I always look to see what they put in so how can it be bad? People can only have problems if they don't pay attention.

I have arms and legs. If I'm gonna drive my car at a fuel consumption level above normal, I can get out and fill it up. Especially when I require premium. Sure If I was some woman in an Escalade then whatevah, Full Serve away, but if your into the car scene and your a guy and your not pumpin your own gas...somethings wrong...or maybe I'm just old fasioned and enjoy filling my car with Petroleum Distillate and playing the perfect pump game.

FiveFreshFish
06-10-2003, 01:26 AM
Other reasons to hate full serve:

- pump jockey rests his grubby hand/glove on your car when filling
- careless when inserting nozzle, right into the bodywork
- careless when removing nozzle, dripping on your paint
- wipes up his spillage with a greasy rag or scratchy paper towel
- does the windows without asking (car might be perfectly clean and he still does it)
- your credit card smells like gas after he returns it

Ashkente
06-10-2003, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by Ben
...playing the perfect pump game.

Haha, I do that :D Not sure why though, cause I use the pump tags :nut:

Ben
06-10-2003, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by Ashkente

Haha, I do that :D Not sure why though, cause I use the pump tags :nut:

I'm pretty good, I'm batting at about .500 for the year so far.

4wheeldrift
06-10-2003, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by szw
Aren't diesel and gasoline 'fillers' different, so you wouldn't be able to fill one with the other? One time i grabbed a diesel by mistsake at a out of town station and the nozzle just wouldn't fit in (good thing!) You can fill a diesel vehicle with gas easily enough, but not the other way around. The opening in the filler neck of a gas vehicle is smaller than the opening of the one on a diesel.

EstoMax
06-10-2003, 08:30 AM
ben, im sure rage or someone with money can borrow u 5 bux so u could go buy some octane booster or something... til u get paid

max

Ben
06-10-2003, 12:10 PM
hahaha, s'all good, I scored a touch of cash last night.

ZMan2k2
06-10-2003, 03:47 PM
I always pump my own gas. When I was younger, the dill-hole working the pump when I was with my dad, asked if my dad wanted him to check the oil. Sure go ahead. While under the hood, he disconnects the coil wire by accident, and then slams the hood shut. Car wouldn't start, pylon had no idea what he was doing, and he left greasy handprints on the hood and the side of the car. Not on my ride Skippy!!

I will even pump when it's -25 and windy. I did this one time, and the girl behind the counter came on the intercom, and asked, yes she did ask this, "Aren't you cold?" I just looked at her through the window. When I went in to pay, she gave me a cup of coffee free, so, it's all good I guess.:)

benyl
06-10-2003, 04:02 PM
You have to remember, these guys get paid minimum wage for a reason. You don't exactly hire PhDs to pump gas.

Doesn't co-op buy the left over gas from other stations? I think Superstore does that. That is why they get it cheaper. Never sure what you are getting when you go to those places.