PDA

View Full Version : Calgary Highlanders

r1_boii
05-01-2007, 08:51 PM
well i was thinking of joining...lots of questions about it

-like what do you do when you join?
-does it look good on your resume?
- is it fun and exciting
- i heard about it being able to help you pay off school how does that work?
- anybody on beyond that is from the highlanders any thoughts or comments/

kertejud
05-01-2007, 09:57 PM
I have a couple friends that joined, they seem to like it.

-You go through forms of basic training, both physical labor and technical. They did spend a few months in some shithole in Manitoba where they did training. They did tell me about being exposed to teargas and seeing how long you could last before putting your mask on.

-No idea. It really depends on what job you're applying for. If its an office job I guess it would show you can be organized, work with a team and what not, if you're going into security or law enforcement or something physical, it would probably help more.

-Can't say.Nobody I've talked seems to like the time at the camps (always tired, hungry, cold, wet etc.) But they seem to like alot of the stuff, mostly involving weapons and certain drills.

QuasarCav
05-01-2007, 10:03 PM
You start out with the basic training program that lasted 6 weeks when I did it in 2000. It's known as QL2 and all trades have to take it. It's not too hard but it's definatly a culture shock for those not used to a strictly regimented day. You should be in general good shape but the PT wont kill you.

There is a lot of 'hurry up and wait' but some of the cool things you can do are worth it. I've fired everything from 84mm AT rockets to mortars. If you take it during high school you can gain up to 15 credits as work experience.

I left after a couple of years because my work schedule would not allow for Wednesday night parades and I had to be in on the weekends. Some of the training weekends are fun as hell but laying in the snow in the middle of February at 2 in the morning sometimes loses it's charm!

r1_boii
05-01-2007, 11:13 PM
oh wow it seems very interesting

what are the benefits from this experience?

ghost944
05-02-2007, 07:18 PM
K guy first off the military is not for everyone TRUST me

I am in the reserves but not in the cal highs

If you don't like to be bitched at don't join. If you don't like someone makeing you sweat ur bag off for 18 hours a day for 3 months don't join.

After basic ans SQ It gets better but not much. The reserves are very un organized you will learn this very quick.

O and as for the school payments they do help you but its a whole ton of bullshit to get it out of them.

JUst my 2 cents

three.eighteen.
05-03-2007, 08:40 PM
so its not a club where you find other highlanders and kill them to become the only one?...lame

r1_boii
05-12-2007, 12:34 AM
alright sounds great.

Charon
05-12-2007, 03:36 AM
Originally posted by three.eighteen.
so its not a club where you find other highlanders and kill them to become the only one?...lame
There are no more highlanders, Doug Swanson took care of that problem. He is the only one.