PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on this company?

ercchry
05-02-2007, 09:30 AM
so i applyed for a job here http://www.workforstudents.com/index.jsp

just last night and they called me today about an interview today, so i was wondering if anyone knew what there deal was?
are they a head hunter agency or something?
it just seems weird that they would want to interview me right away with only knowing what school in attending?
and they originally wanted to meet me in an hourfrom when they called... seems rather desperate

SR240SX
05-02-2007, 09:42 AM
why dont you just go out and find a job..most places will hire you on the spot..everyone is calgary is desperate for employees..there is too much work!

ercchry
05-02-2007, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by SR240SX
why dont you just go out and find a job..most places will hire you on the spot..everyone is calgary is desperate for employees..there is too much work!

thanks tips, but i rather not work for dq or any other pos job that anyone can get i rather have something that i can make contacts for later on in life after im done post secondary

and i am looking for a job and i bought the paper yesterday and for the hell of it i applyed to this and i GOT an interview at 2pm today so yeah

blainer
05-02-2007, 09:55 AM
ercchry,
Last summer I wasted the better part of a day going down to their office and hearing the whole presentation. I hear they are a legit business and all but you are taking a huge chance with them. There is the opportunity for you to make a fair bit of money(ie your able to make commission) but the chances of you not doin that are significantly greater.
I'll save you your day and everyone elses that is thinking about Vector Marketing. The pay structure is you get paid $21 per presentation you do to sell knives (the knives themselves actually are pretty good and useful). The commission is believe is 10% only if your commission is greater than your presentation pay will you get it.
This all seems like a sweet job and all but you gotta think about how many presentations could u do in a day, how ur goin to get around to those presentations.
I've seen a group on facebook that continues with people talkin about how they got hosed and didnt make any money.
Hope this all helps,
Blaine

ercchry
05-02-2007, 09:58 AM
wow that sounds gay, the add i found in the paper sayed nothing like that but then again that site got redirected to this site :dunno:

i will give them a chance but if it is the same idea i'll leave

thanks blainer :thumbsup:

blainer
05-02-2007, 10:08 AM
this is my suggestion to you, as to when you should leave.
So your gonna walk into a building just beyond Chinook. Look for the most runned down office, and you've found ur place. After that youll sit down with a bunch of people, oh and i made the mistake of actually tryin to look presentable, i was wayyyyy out place in comparison to everyone around me. Then youll see a tall brown haired woman. Now this is the important part, when you hear her say "Cutco" that is your cue to walk out of there.
Like i said before I strongly advise anyone that asks me about Vector Marketing to avoid them.
-Blaine

D. Dub
05-02-2007, 10:14 AM
run fast
run deep
run hard!!!

Vector is Cutco knives ---

lowryder99
05-02-2007, 10:17 AM
vector is a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge scam.

ercchry
05-02-2007, 10:24 AM
weird this place is downtown and the girls name is jenifer :dunno:

like i said im just gonna check it out work on my interview skills and i had nothing else to do today so i will see whats going on

thanks for the heads up tho everyone :thumbsup:

blainer
05-02-2007, 10:33 AM
work on my interview skills

You cant really say goin there is an interview. What it really boils down to is: you watching Jennifer show and display to you and the other applicants what you're supposed to show to the people that you line up for the presentations. Then she brings you into her office to offer you a job because they couldn't care less if you do sell or not. From one sale alone during the entire summer, the profit from that one will pay your wage.
-Blaine

ercchry
05-02-2007, 10:46 AM
yeah alright im not going to go fuck that, my buddy in ottawa has even heard of them
i cant beleive that they acually get students to work for them, i thought that students are supose to be smart?

nagooro
05-02-2007, 10:46 AM
I would suggest taking a trip to Randstad in downtown. I landed a fairly decent FT office job @ $16hr. :thumbsup:

ercchry
05-02-2007, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by nagooro
I would suggest taking a trip to Randstad in downtown. I landed a fairly decent FT office job @ $16hr. :thumbsup:

oh really? do you have more info on this?

acura_el
05-02-2007, 10:53 AM
don't bother. unless you manage to find a resturant or something big to sell knives to, you're not making any money. you'll be lucky to get 1 presentation/day...believe me, nobody wants to buy a $300+ knife set...oh and they only pay $13 in ontario

i believe this cutco even made it onto that show "King of the Hill" and it wasn't good publicity.

ercchry
05-02-2007, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by acura_el

i believe this cutco even made it onto that show "King of the Hill" and it wasn't good publicity.

haha i thought the name sounded familiar, no wonder evey time i asked him the name after he mumbled it once he just continued talking

nagooro
05-02-2007, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by ercchry

oh really? do you have more info on this?

Not quite sure the actual address, just mapquest it. I would personally dress up a bit, make sure you take your resume. Just tell them you would like to drop off your resume, most of the time they will take you in for a "interview" on the spot. They will basically ask you what kind of job you want, rate of pay, and then common interview questions like strengths/weaknesses, etc. After that, for about 45min-1hour you will do a few tests on a computer, involving typing speed/accuracy and knowledge about microsoft office (fairly easy imo). As soon as I finished the tests, they had a job lined up for me.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

zoik
05-02-2007, 01:29 PM
my god that stupid vector marketing thing is still around. lol it's not that they are desparate, they do these giant group interviews, i remember i suckered into one that was at u of c. pure bullshit, sell knives! lol

ercchry
05-02-2007, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by nagooro

Not quite sure the actual address, just mapquest it. I would personally dress up a bit, make sure you take your resume. Just tell them you would like to drop off your resume, most of the time they will take you in for a "interview" on the spot. They will basically ask you what kind of job you want, rate of pay, and then common interview questions like strengths/weaknesses, etc. After that, for about 45min-1hour you will do a few tests on a computer, involving typing speed/accuracy and knowledge about microsoft office (fairly easy imo). As soon as I finished the tests, they had a job lined up for me.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

yeah i stoped by the south location and they did everything but the computer tests and no job lined up, they said that there was not too many temp jobs around right now just full time ones, also they said that they have to check my references

Grip172
05-02-2007, 05:43 PM
my buddy was gogin to start that shit
they said there was 30hours of UNPAID training..he quit

fcukda
05-02-2007, 06:07 PM
my friend did this, i think he said you get a free set of knifes, and its worth it just for the set.

omagedon
05-02-2007, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by blainer

You cant really say goin there is an interview. What it really boils down to is: you watching Jennifer show and display to you and the other applicants what you're supposed to show to the people that you line up for the presentations. Then she brings you into her office to offer you a job because they couldn't care less if you do sell or not. From one sale alone during the entire summer, the profit from that one will pay your wage.
-Blaine

Thats about right about Vector, I remember when I worked for Vector when I was in University. Applied for a job in the summer to work for Vector. The only question they asked me was "Have you been a salesperson before" everybody who said "Yes" got hired and everybody who said "No" was told to leave and thats was the Interview...canvassed for a few legable charities then quit since it was boring for me.

thrasher22
05-03-2007, 06:18 PM
Take the job, get a bunch of your friends/family to say you gave them presentations, and you're set :devil:

SR240SX
05-13-2007, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by ercchry

thanks tips, but i rather not work for dq or any other pos job that anyone can get i rather have something that i can make contacts for later on in life after im done post secondary

and i am looking for a job and i bought the paper yesterday and for the hell of it i applyed to this and i GOT an interview at 2pm today so yeah

I didnt say DQ..and if you get hired right away its a pos job?..if a company needs people..they hire people..its how it works..not because people are getting hired left and right they are getting pos jobs..like i said go OUT and apply..not looking on the net to find jobs that might intrest you, youll be looking for a job for ever i can tell you that

Mazstyle
05-19-2007, 11:28 PM
Vector is a scam, go and get a real job. And if you can't find work in this city.... then there's something seriously wrong with you.

Disoblige
05-20-2007, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by acura_el
don't bother. unless you manage to find a resturant or something big to sell knives to, you're not making any money. you'll be lucky to get 1 presentation/day...believe me, nobody wants to buy a $300+ knife set...oh and they only pay $13 in ontario

Oh yeaah! Bill is an awesome seller! :rofl:

krisopotamus
06-03-2007, 07:41 PM
DO NOT WORK FOR THEM. It's stupid, a friend of mine was going to. Then they told him he has to buy like 200 dollars worth of shit to try and sell by phoning random people/going door to door. It's a scam

ercchry
06-03-2007, 07:48 PM
yeah i got a job doing plumbing shit, and i have the option of taking an apprenticeship if i want to later and they will pay for school :thumbsup: