PDA

View Full Version : Mayor, premier spar over C-Train expansion

benyl
05-02-2007, 10:23 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2007/05/01/mayor-premier.html

Is it just me, or does Bronco seem like a whiny beyotch? He is always whining about money... Money this, money that.

His last whining session was over the property tax cut that the city gets. He got more. Now he is at it again. His tactics to get more money are a little embarrassing.

codetrap
05-02-2007, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by benyl

Is it just me, or does Bronco seem like a whiny beyotch? He is always whining about money... Money this, money that.

His last whining session was over the property tax cut that the city gets. He got more. Now he is at it again. His tactics to get more money are a little embarrassing.

Who gives a fuck what anyone outside of Calgary thinks? Personally, I think he could be the biggest prick in the world, as long as he's on Calgary's side, and keeping our municipal taxes down, then more the power to him.

Or would you rather he not bitch to the GOA about money, and raise property taxes, impose sales taxes, increase sin taxes, put in toll booths on the deerfoot, raise the price of booze, increase all the user fee's, and double transit fares?

Hmm.. all that, or bitch to the GOA to get the money that was promised originally out of all those nice oil revenues? Go Dave, put the screws to them!

01RedDX
05-02-2007, 10:43 AM

reiRei
05-02-2007, 10:46 AM
I'm all for ctrain expansion...
... but who's going to drive the trains to the new stations?

Bronco should be concerning himself with this impending strike that's on the table.. before he can go on expanding that which cannot be serviced

Toms-SC
05-02-2007, 11:02 AM
^

I agree

benyl
05-02-2007, 11:11 AM
I am not saying I don't support what he is doing. What I am saying is the way he goes about doing it isn't the best.

He should call up Ed and have a discussion. Not battle it out in the newspapers. It makes him look weak.

I don't want to see dirty laundry in the papers, I want to see what Bronco is doing about it.

BokCh0y
05-02-2007, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by codetrap

Who gives a fuck what anyone outside of Calgary thinks? Personally, I think he could be the biggest prick in the world, as long as he's on Calgary's side, and keeping our municipal taxes down, then more the power to him.

Or would you rather he not bitch to the GOA about money, and raise property taxes, impose sales taxes, increase sin taxes, put in toll booths on the deerfoot, raise the price of booze, increase all the user fee's, and double transit fares?

Hmm.. all that, or bitch to the GOA to get the money that was promised originally out of all those nice oil revenues? Go Dave, put the screws to them!

Bronco is a biatch!!!!!!

Hasn't he already increased property taxes? Mine's gone up 20% in the last 5 years.....

i also heard somewhere something about toll booths on deerfoot but i can't remember where.

if it was up to him he would be increasing sin taxes, implementing sales taxes, and even thinking up even MORE taxes.

Also he has increased user fees on EVERYTHING already....didn't they just increase parking rates downtown to what? $4.00/hr?

I think bronco and his staff have to look at how they are spending their money....giving themselves a 10k raise isn't something they should be doing especially when he's whining about the money they need for all these new projects.

TimG
05-02-2007, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by reiRei
I'm all for ctrain expansion...
... but who's going to drive the trains to the new stations?

Bronco should be concerning himself with this impending strike that's on the table.. before he can go on expanding that which cannot be serviced

true, but it's not like a western LRT expansion will happen overnight.

Assuming that today the premier says we're getting the money, it'll be a while before we actually see it, and then there's the tendering of bids to build the expansion, hearings and town halls in the communities in which the lines will go thru.. it'll probably be at least 2 years of paperwork just to get the route approved and then at least a few years to build the thing.

01RedDX
05-02-2007, 11:16 AM

max_boost
05-02-2007, 11:19 AM
Benyl is just saying Bronco's tactics makes him look like a weak businessman. He doesn't seem assertive enough and is always crying foul.

g2forlife
05-02-2007, 11:51 AM
Bronco - HE NEEDS TO GO.. He doesnt care what the people think..

Toms-SC
05-02-2007, 11:57 AM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

robpark
05-02-2007, 11:58 AM
As long as we keep sprawling out into the middle of nowhere, you're taxes are going to continue going up. It costs A LOT of money to run services out to the fringe, where extremely low population densities generate very little revenue, especially as a function of the space they take up.

BigMass
05-02-2007, 11:59 AM
i don't see how when the oil sands are making 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 / year money is even a talking point in this province. The questions should be, when can we do it and how fast can we hire more workers to get it done. Whining about money means they are doing something seriously wrong when it comes to their budget and where the money is going. Just hold back federal money until we fix our problems here at home first if that’s a problem.

cloud7
05-02-2007, 12:01 PM
I am not saying I don't support what he is doing. What I am saying is the way he goes about doing it isn't the best.

He should call up Ed and have a discussion. Not battle it out in the newspapers. It makes him look weak.

I don't want to see dirty laundry in the papers, I want to see what Bronco is doing about it.

I totally agree with you... Bronco is annoying... acting like a kid who cries when he doens't get what he wants. He is a drama queen... oh, don't forget it's an election year.... we can vote him out of office if we want.

benyl
05-02-2007, 12:27 PM
We could vote him out, but will anyone run against him? Calgary politics is so funny. Duer was mayor year after year because no one ran against him. Duer has to take some of the blame for the urban sprawl. Calgary is HUGE compared to most other cities around the world.

JAYMEZ
05-02-2007, 12:33 PM
Ive never liked Dave ever... He lived a few blocks down from me when he was Alderman of Ward 6 (SW I think).... Anywho , the point is , my friend and I (9 years old) , destroyed his kids tree fort so that we could make our own (Much better)... He came down from his house , grabbed us and called the cops and walked us home... lol.. la douche.

And thats the time my hate for him started hahah

reiRei
05-02-2007, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by TimG

true, but it's not like a western LRT expansion will happen overnight.

Assuming that today the premier says we're getting the money, it'll be a while before we actually see it, and then there's the tendering of bids to build the expansion, hearings and town halls in the communities in which the lines will go thru.. it'll probably be at least 2 years of paperwork just to get the route approved and then at least a few years to build the thing.

but the point is, if they can't even afford to pay operators enough now... what more when they need more operators? Also factoring in the rising price of nearly everything, it just doesn't sound logical if they continue to expand without ... well.. expanding the workforce... infastructure is important, but the need for people to work is even more important.. Bronco is losing touch with what the city needs...

lint
05-02-2007, 12:49 PM

Except that his tactics are working. Polls show 70% of Calgarians agree with him, and he has the support of Calgary businesses as well. We're also observing a slight decline in Conservative support in Calgary.

He makes some valid points though. The provincial or "education" portion of your property tax that goes to the province doesn't even have to be spent on education. The province can do with that revenue as it sees fit.

benyl
05-02-2007, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by lint

Except that his tactics are working. Polls show 70% of Calgarians agree with him, and he has the support of Calgary businesses as well. We're also observing a slight decline in Conservative support in Calgary.

He makes some valid points though. The provincial or "education" portion of your property tax that goes to the province doesn't even have to be spent on education. The province can do with that revenue as it sees fit.

The liberals have been trying to elect a premier for over 100 years and have failed. It is no secret that Bronco is more liberal than he is conservative.

I don't recall seeing headlines in the major newspapers about the mayor of Edmonton or Lethbridge crying over money. That is my contention.

sexualbanana
05-02-2007, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by BokCh0y

i also heard somewhere something about toll booths on deerfoot but i can't remember where.

I believe that was an April fools joke by the newspaper

BokCh0y
05-02-2007, 03:53 PM
^^^^ Oh hahaha my bad then :D

Thanks for the correction.

BokCh0y
05-02-2007, 04:01 PM
We could vote him out, but will anyone run against him? Calgary politics is so funny. Duer was mayor year after year because no one ran against him. Duer has to take some of the blame for the urban sprawl. Calgary is HUGE compared to most other cities around the world.

Duerr was a decent mayor but he was too much of a pansy. He didn't spend shit on anything and didn't really do much for infrastructure in my opinion. I know broncos trying to catch up on the shit duerr didn't take care of....but still.....bronco cries and cries.

i want ric mickyver to be the next mayor hehehe. Although he blinks like a mofo, i like his stance on a lot of things.

to be honest the only politicians i want to see back in city council for another 4 years is druh farrell and ric mickyver.

i think madeline king a biatch and so is diane colley-urquart. Craig burrows is a tool and dale hodges is....well it's time for him to step down. i like joe ceci though, he reminds me of old school italian style mob hahaha

syeve
05-02-2007, 04:15 PM
I strongly believe Bronco needs to go, the steady line of screw up's with road's (Marquise of lorne, doubles it, cant double the bridge, what does he do? Doubles the OTHER side of the bridge) and now wants control over education dollars for the city...GEEEEEE, I wonder what he will do with those funds? Build a road?

And for the record he gave himself a 17% raise. Along with most of city hall and in turn the union had their hands out about 15 minutes later "requiring" their 17% raise. AWESOME.

403Gemini
05-02-2007, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ_STi
Ive never liked Dave ever... He lived a few blocks down from me when he was Alderman of Ward 6 (SW I think).... Anywho , the point is , my friend and I (9 years old) , destroyed his kids tree fort so that we could make our own (Much better)... He came down from his house , grabbed us and called the cops and walked us home... lol.. la douche.

And thats the time my hate for him started hahah

lol james, seriously, that is the best reason to boycott a persons political stance!!!! haha after a shitty day that actually made me laugh :thumbsup:

Xtrema
05-02-2007, 05:07 PM
Bronco promos irresponsible spending. That's why he fired the CEO so he can spend without question.... on himself.

He keep all Aldermen who can run against him fat (10% raise) so they'll keep him around.

This uneducated tool is the reason we didn't get money from Klein and won't get money from Stalmach, no matter how bad he cries and has a fit. Bronco wants a blank check.

This little stunt is just drumming up support for his re-election.

DayGlow
05-02-2007, 08:02 PM
have no problem for the mayor going to bat for the city, but I don't trust Bronco. I think he is politicing for some future asperation he has either provincial or fedural. And I wouldn't put it past him to do something drastic like grandstanding needed projects for that exposure. There could very well be enough money for the LRT, but instead he will do his grandstanding for his own political gain, while screwing Calgary over in the future.

asifka
05-03-2007, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by BokCh0y

That was april fool by Calgary sun

codetrap
05-04-2007, 08:00 AM
More news on this topic....

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/news/story.html?id=95635781-52aa-4477-9af7-3a918b49dded

eb0i
05-04-2007, 04:23 PM

After hearing him comment on the radio about the transit issue I TOTALLY agree with you. He's an absolute whiner plus his tactics seem childish.

403Gemini
05-04-2007, 04:46 PM
Its true, everytime he fucking talks, its always "ITS THEIR FAULT!!!!"

eb0i
05-04-2007, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini
Its true, everytime he fucking talks, its always "ITS THEIR FAULT!!!!"

Haha yep.